Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Im not trying to weigh up the odds of being paid a visit as i know that its not random calls they make to households!and i pay it so iv nothing to worry about!
    Anyways has anyone had a call from the Inspector asking to see you license?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

No ... and ... tv license thread is about 6 inches down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A South African friend told me that it's a 500 rand fine for shooting a trespasser, and a one thousand rand fine for not having a TV licence, so it's cheaper to shoot the fecker when he comes to your door.:D
    ( probably only works in S.A.):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyways has anyone had a call from the Inspector asking to see you licence?
    Yes, I had one. Why do you ask? Just curious.. If not for evasive reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

m83 wrote: »
    No ... and ... tv license thread is about 6 inches down.

Huh?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I assume they check their database and only call to households that don't have a license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Abigayle wrote: »
    Yes, I had one. Why do you ask? Just curious.. If not for evasive reasons.

Had a conversation with a few friends earlier and none of them have ever heard of someone being visited by the TV license inspector. Im just wondering is it a common occurance or not.

As in if i were to throw out all my tv's now and get rid of my license would the inspector call wondering whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Oh yes, they are very curious inspectors around our area! Had several calls but then decided eventually that we better get one... and we did. The inspector call about two weeks before it was up and we told him that it is still valid for another two weeks. He checked it and agreed but said that is was strange as there was no valid licence on their system for our address. Moral of the story.... they have databases! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

They are getting much more efficient with this TV license stuff. Around the start of November I had a notice through my front door saying that a TV was observed through the window of the house and that I need to purchase/renew my license. My existing license was due to expire on NYE. About 2 weeks after that notice, another notice arrives recommending that I do the same. They also addressed me by name on both occasions.

So basically I renewed it online. I have never had a call from an inspector (while home) when I actually had a license, so it's not that random it would appear. Although it would have been cool to turn around and say "as a matter of fact I do have a license, so nya!".

One thing though a few years ago I was a few days late paying the license. Got around to doing it around the 10th or so of January and ended up having to pay more because I was late. Around a fiver more if I recall. Also I moved house in the last year and when I moved in to our new place I got a notice in the door telling me to pay my license, so all I did was a change of license address and that covered that.

My advise would be to get a license, especially if you are going to be using your own tv in your own place(s) for the majority of the year.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Had a conversation with a few friends earlier and none of them have ever heard of someone being visited by the TV license inspector. Im just wondering is it a common occurance or not.

As in if i were to throw out all my tv's now and get rid of my license would the inspector call wondering whats going on?

I got a visit a week after I moved into the house I'm in at the moment. I think they were looking for the last guy.

Some old dude from the post office, none of this TV license inspector stuff.

Mines expired I'm past final warning I'm on to pink legal notice at this stage. I wonder what colour reminder they will send next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had a letter come saying the inspector had paid a visit and it said there is no license registered to the property (there wasn't) and there was 'signal receiving equipment' or words to that effect. I wondered if that meant he seen the tv through the window or if he seen the satellite dish at the back of the house, he would have only seen the dish if he actually walk around the bank of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Senna wrote: »
    I had a letter come saying the inspector had paid a visit and it said there is no license registered to the property (there wasn't) and there was 'signal receiving equipment' or words to that effect. I wondered if that meant he seen the tv through the window or if he seen the satellite dish at the back of the house, he would have only seen the dish if he actually walk around the bank of the house.

Write back and say that was your TV license inspector detection equipment they picked up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i got a visit i was caught out, its due again next month tbh i wont be paying this time end of story.

im living in rented property when i buy my own house i MIGHT get one.

if they come knocking again im going to tell them i dont have one, i dont even watch the ****n thing i play the xbox on it the odd time, they can smell my helmet if they think there getting 160euro off me in 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FloorBoard

Not yet,, if he does;

TV Inspector: "hello, I'm here to check your tv licence"

FloorBoard: "f'uck off before I mash you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

As a kid I remember the inspector coming and loads of stalling by my mother at the door and offers of tea, biscuits and explaining how she wouldn't leave the kids watch tv and how herself had no time (we were taught this and warned what to do and say if the inspector ever came if we were alone in the house), we naturally kicked up a fuss and she gave out to us explaining that the TV man was at the door in which case we ran to him "begging" for TV and asking would he sell us one.

I remember it vividly as a 10 or 12 year lifting the old TV an radiation king type weighing an absolute tonne out of the Kitchen into the utility room and covering it with coats and such. We kept our Aerial in the attic as it is a high signal area. We actually didn't get a licence (Many years after that) until Sky Digital arrived sometime around 2000 or early 2001. It was something we hated and were taught to hate as an Uncle was caught sometime in the 1970's using a Black and White Licence (cheaper at the time) on a Colour Tv.

TV reception equipment ie. the so called trackers are a a load of sh1te in my opinion and a way of quickly railroading you into admitting guilt and paying the quick fine and getting a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I was visited by one a few years ago when living in a flat. The land lady had a licence in the basement and I told him to **** off as that covered the house. He got snotty with me. I never heard back from him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can you imagine the shame of it...................................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

i got a visit i was caught out, its due again next month tbh i wont be paying this time end of story.

im living in rented property when i buy my own house i MIGHT get one.

if they come knocking again im going to tell them i dont have one, i dont even watch the ****n thing i play the xbox on it the odd time, they can smell my helmet if they think there getting 160euro off me in 09

What's the actual story if you do get a visit and you don't have one???

Is it instant massive fine or would they give you a couple of weeks t get your act together???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got a call from one a few years ago. He was very pleasant and courteous. He asked first if I had a TV set. He said the house had been flagged on his database as no licence existed at that address. It was an oversight. I moved house and the renewal notice had gone to the old address so I didn't think about it. I renewed it the following day.

pookie82 wrote: »

Is it instant massive fine or would they give you a couple of weeks t get your act together???
    They request that you get one ASAP. Those people you hear of going to court are those who have failed to pay after several reminders/calls.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    the so called trackers are a a load of sh1te in my opinion
    In your opinion!! You almost make it sound as if you actually believed they existed!

• Advertisement

pookie82 wrote: »

I was a prick to him i called him a ****n wanker and said your as low as a car clamper etc etc

i was getting letters for 8weeks then i just gave up and paid, that was then this is now up yours TV License

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Moved into my place about 18 months ago and got about 2 or 3 letters saying there was no record of a TV licence for the place and that inspectors were "active" in the area. Put off getting it for a couple of months until I eventually picked one up in the PO after work one day.

And who should call at my door that very evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Moved into my place about 18 months ago and got about 2 or 3 letters saying there was no record of a TV licence for the place and that inspectors were "active" in the area. Put off getting it for a couple of months until I eventually picked one up in the PO after work one day.

And who should call at my door that very evening...

I hope you told him where to shove it*.....

*through your male box of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Regardless of whether or not we have a TV licence, in our house myself, herself and the housemate have a very strict rule of not answering the door unless we're expecting someone so even if he/she did drop by, they wouldn't even be acknowledged.

Rb wrote: »
    Regardless of whether or not we have a TV licence, in our house myself, herself and the housemate have a very strict rule of not answering the door unless we're expecting someone so even if he/she did drop by, they wouldn't even be acknowledged.

fair play dude ! rock on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 HoorayForPeePee

I usually wait for the knock, and there will be a call if the license has expired, they're efficient enough that way.

It's easier in a small community where you know the guy calling to the door.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Called to me a few years ago, didn't have a TV licence, but didn't have a TV either. :D:D:D:D

Went out and bought a tv the next day. Didn't hear from them for another two years. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

Im a student they called to our place a few weeks back wasnt expecting them at all people who lived there last year told us not to bother getin one becuase they send u a load of letters but never actually come to ur door so we didnt pay the letters came and so did the inspector . so they gave us a card that we pay so much every week r so . load of crap if u ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Just tell them you don't speak English because you're from Barbados

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just dribble a bit and ask him if he wants to come in for some chianti and fava beans while you look for your licence.

Advertisement