Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

a few years ago we had let ours lapse and two of them called out to our house one night to remind us that it was out of date and if they called back they would fine us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

smash wrote: »
    I don't think you get it. If a summons arrives addressed to your father, after months of letters addressed to your father stating that you have no license. Then your mother can and will be done for not having a license including a fee to get it backdated because she has lived there since he died as she took over responsibility for it. Or will you just pretend that you never ever open anything addressed to him?

Once they realise they have the wrong name they go back to the start. Try to find out the mother's name, give her one month to pay, then eventually take her to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Once they realise they have the wrong name they go back to the start. Try to find out the mother's name, give her one month to pay, then eventually take her to court.
    No they don't, they can amend a name on the day of the court appearance ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just stop answering your door to strangers.

If you are expecting company than anyone knocking on your door will be looking for something.

No they don't, they can amend a name on the day of the court appearance ffs.

A summons is amended when you go to court and your name is spelt wrong.

If you are sat at home never having received a summons or any letters, someone else's summons cannot not be "amended" to your name and the case continue in your absence.

• Advertisement

A summons is amended when you go to court and your name is spelt wrong.

If you are sat at home never having received a summons or any letters, someone else's summons cannot not be "amended" to your name and the case continue in your absence.
    But you did get the letters and a summons, which you have to sign for as its registered. So you clearly know you don't have the license!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Antho1966

You are spot on. Anyone not receiving an answer at your door can always leave a note etc to identify themselves

But you did get the letters and a summons, which you have to sign for as its registered. So you clearly know you don't have the license!

Well if you've signed to receive a summons that's totally different!

Well if you've signed to receive a summons that's totally different!
    So you ignore any registered post addressed to your father?

You do not have to sign for post not addressed to yourself.
    Am I wrong in this?

• Advertisement

So you ignore any registered post addressed to your father?

Or more likely you call up the TV lovely TV licence people and say my father has passed away, I am now living in the house and will be buying a TV and TV licence this week.

Antho1966 wrote: »
    You do not have to sign for post not addressed to yourself.
    Am I wrong in this?

You don't be aware what it is for so may sign for it accidentally. I think anyone at the address can accept registered mail but I may be wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Just don't answer the flipping door, problem solved.

I do not sign for anyone else and refuse to do so. I will check this out with postmasters union.
    Never sign without checking who or what you are signing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If you think thats annoying, I know a lad that got done for not having a TV License for the TV in his Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

If you think thats annoying, I know a lad that got done for not having a TV License for the TV in his Mercedes.

Well, thats just a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well, thats just a lie.

Fraid not .. in Germany you're required to have a Radio license or TV license (which covers both) for your car if its equipped with one.

Lad was from the UK and didn't know it was required when he bought his car on German plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Over the course of the troubles in the North, TV Licence inspectors going out and challenging people could be a fraught business - I remember as recently as the mid nineties, the car of TV Licence inspectors getting wrecked in Armagh.

I recall hearing a story dating back to sometime in the seventies in which the general population of Forkhill in South Armagh were getting severely stressed by the interference to their TV reception from the constant movement of the low flying helicopters of the RAF and British Army. The problem got so bad that a meeting was sought between the locals and someone at the Beeb to discuss the issue and seek a way forward. An official came out and met with a widespread gathering in the local hall and listened intently to a list of complaints.

The man from the Beeb eventually stood up and stated that on checking his records, he could see that there was one television owner in the whole area and that he was happy to meet him / her in private to discuss his / her concerns. The gathering then began filing away rather sheepishly!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Knocked at my door in Finglas in 2006. It was a new estate so I guess they were blitzing them at the time. Haven't seen him since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

called today
    i was just mindin the place though
    told him they waz out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

kceire wrote: »
    Knocked at my door in Finglas in 2006. It was a new estate so I guess they were blitzing them at the time. Haven't seen him since.

Same, guy knocked on my door while I was moving in - the television was still in a box. Bought one shortly after and haven't seen him since. I assume if I ever neglected to buy one, he'd be up and at me within days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im not trying to weigh up the odds of being paid a visit as i know that its not random calls they make to households!and i pay it so iv nothing to worry about!
    Anyways has anyone had a call from the Inspector asking to see you license?
    yes... Usual terms: fine or bj

bj?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rdubz

Introducing this licence now for laptops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im getting the dear occupant letter now. No intention of paying it, out of principle. I dont watch rte or anything on rte. I pay sky and most of what I watch is on english stations. If they gave me an option to pay the uk licence id have no probem paying it.

Is it true that sky and upc will give them my name? and seen as there an post can they not see the name on the other letters been delivered to the house and use that for a summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I don't know how they'd even get to me, they'd have to wait at the front of the apartment for someone to open the door and there's not much traffic through there. Not that I receive a live signal anyway.

seems discriminatory to target just people that don't have a license

is that legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

M cebee wrote: »

is that legal?
    There wouldn't be much point in targeting people that have them, what would the end result be?

Hi All

Just an update as promised on registered mail.

I spoke to postmen ( sorry only know one postwoman ) and someone in the postmasters union.

As far as they are concerned, the only person that can sign for your mail is yourself.
    You can sign for your wife/husband/siblings/children/parents etc, if you want to.

What happens if you are having problems with said persons e.g. spouse?

These may get worse perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

M cebee wrote: »

is that legal?
    And the Gardai only arrest people that they suspect of committing crimes. They should just arrest everyone, all the time.

Advertisement