Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

it used to not be the case but with the rte player etc it is diff as far as I know!
    I will know if citizans info ever update their page!

altho I think you might be right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

but then its perverting the course of justice?
    (

Incorrect again, how could exercising your rights pervert the course of justice?

EDIT ... 2009 Broadcasting Act, they have the right to enter your home without a warrant to establish whether or not there is a television.
    They don't have the right to force entry.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Incorrect again, how could exercising your rights pervert the course of justice?

EDIT ... 2009 Broadcasting Act, they have the right to enter your home without a warrant to establish whether or not there is a television.
    They don't have the right to force entry.

if they have a right to enter your home to check and you don't let them then that is perverting the course of justice unless you have a legit reason for not letting them in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Several times – and on the first 2 occasions I didn’t have one (wasn’t in though so they left me a quaint card asking me to contact them and tell them that – needless to say I ignored and there was no consequence!)

After about a year of cheating the system my conscience got the better of me and I bought one. Then I moved house and within days they were at the front door checking. Told them I had just moved, gave them my old address and they sorted the transfer for me – happy days.

Haven’t heard from them since which I assume means their database is working. So how come they still have such a huge evasion problem if they know who is paying them? My guess is the previous visits I received were on foot of the previous occupiers transferring their licences which then triggered a little light in an post to say “new owner – go get him”. Surely they can just clash the property tax database against the list of those who haven’t paid and target these?

On another matter – the whole process is ridiculously costly from a collection point of view. They will send me a letter and a reminder before I pay and then a lovely paper licence thingie which I never keep – whats the point if they have an electronic record somewhere? Why not save the money and send an automatic email instead saying “thanks for paying”?

if they have a right to enter your home to check and you don't let them then that is perverting the course of justice unless you have a legit reason for not letting them in?

They don't have the right to force entry so if you say "I don't want you to enter my home" they cant do so - your not breaking any law or perverting the course of justice.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    They don't have the right to force entry so if you say "I don't want you to enter my home" they cant do so - your not breaking any law or perverting the course of justice.

I think your wrong as The Broadcasting Act 2009 states:

"146 (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."

plus I met one the other day and asked them and he said they sure are allowed enter but only before 6pm (that's from the horses mouth lol)

he also said if you say no they don't really care they just post you out the fine as useually they can see an antenna or sky dish on the house and that's all they need to see! so to conclude the feckers can come in :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Strange thing happened with us. The inspector rang the bell and meanwhile wrote the letter mentioning we could not inspect your address blah blah and put it in the letter box. I meanwhile answered the bell and let him in to view the property. He then told me to ignore the letter in the post ( I think thats what he said )

Shall i ignore it or send it ?

Thanks.

Advertisement