Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The man flu, Support Thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

if your brave eat raw garlic... thats supposed to be good for the immune system.... dunno if i would though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I have a severe dose of genuine man-flu, was at the doc on New Year's Eve and got prescribed antibiotics and steroids.

No sympathy from anyone at home, so I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 am for the first time in 2 weeks this morning and drove into work. Felt absolutely terrible by lunchtime, but after taking a Lemsip Max Strength at least I have stopped shivering.

Of course, throwing back 3 hot whiskeys and spraying champagne all over the living room on New Year's Eve when the neighbors called around didn't exactly help my cause.

Now to garner up enough energy to go home in half an hour and not crash into the ditch on the way....

Might try and get some Manuka honey in Aldi's later, anyone tried it? I need a cure fast!

You have my sympathies, not sure about 'Manuka Honey', sounds a bit too exotic for me, would Raspberry Jam do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

9959 wrote: »
    My symptoms are worsening, plus I haven't eaten anything at all today save for a Doner Kebab, large chips and a bottle of Lilt (Large).
    Am I dying? (my OH says it's really hard to tell).
    What does she mean?

No curry or garlic and cheese on the chips? You must be in a bad way petal.

You need to be clear of infection before you go out meeting people again. A good way to know you've been quarantined for long is with some exercise. When you can win the Premiership at the highest difficulty setting with Newcastle you're good to go. Only a few scoops at first though, pubs rarely have air conditioning so there's no chance of germs being recycled and sent back on you, unlike that disease ridden pit that is work. Three days with no headaches or nausea in the morning and you're good to go.

Sadderday wrote: »
    manuka honey is the business, neck it. feel sorry for yas n all but its only the flu !!!!

Sadderday is original anyway !! wouldnt be drinking lilt if i were you, 7up is the biz...

And here is an old wives tale you could try if your that bad later....

Chop an onion in half and leave both halves on a plate (with the cut halves facing up) on your bedside locker

An onion apparently draws bacteria from the air (which is why we are meant to eat it only freshly chopped)

I have heard stories of sick people waking up to find the halves have turned black from absorbing the bacteria.

I have no idea if it actually works, but if your in bits you could try it,,, will prob stink up your room...

if you give it a go, let me know if it works!!!

I'm afraid I've almost sliced off my index finger trying to chop the onion, will the fresh blood 'draw the bacteria' I wonder, jeez the pain is worse than 'man flu'.
    Thanks a bunch.

ya just cannot win!

• Advertisement

just halve it, your not dicing it or anything... dunno how you managed to cut yourself?? must be the shivers

Lyaiera wrote: »
    No curry or garlic and cheese on the chips? You must be in a bad way petal.

You need to be clear of infection before you go out meeting people again. A good way to know you've been quarantined for long is with some exercise. When you can win the Premiership at the highest difficulty setting with Newcastle you're good to go. Only a few scoops at first though, pubs rarely have air conditioning so there's no chance of germs being recycled and sent back on you, unlike that disease ridden pit that is work. Three days with no headaches or nausea in the morning and you're good to go.

I did 'drizzle' something on the chips, it had a picture of Paul Newman on the bottle, terrible taste, nice picture though.

Sadderday wrote: »
    just halve it, your not dicing it or anything... dunno how you managed to cut yourself?? must be the shivers

I'm trying, but it's difficult using one hand only, it is ok if I just swallow the onion whole?

It's stuck in my throat, I can hardly breathe.

ye ye, god speed

• Advertisement

break a leg

just leave it in the room shambles, dont eat the thing....

PLEASE HELP!

stroll down to the mater, with a bit of luck ya might pick up the nova virus and you wont have anything stuck in the throat

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

i have man flu now and my girlfriend called me a little bitch for moaning about a sore throat and she moan for 2 weeks about her wisdom teeth. cant win i guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

i have man flu now and my girlfriend called me a little bitch for moaning about a sore throat and she moan for 2 weeks about her wisdom teeth. cant win i guess

No word from this user for two weeks. You okay mate?

Anyway, Science is making steady progress in attempting to further understand this illness:
    Man flu really DOES exist: The way men's brains are wired means their symptoms really are worse

Neuroscientist Dr Amanda Ellison has argued that men really do suffer more with coughs and colds.

It has been scorned by women as a sign of male weakness for generations. But a female academic is championing the argument that men really do suffer more with coughs and colds despite being accused of acting like babies to gain sympathy.

Dr Amanda Ellison, a neuroscientist at Durham University, says men have more temperature receptors in the brain which causes them to experience the symptoms more acutely than the fairer sex.

Dr Ellison says men have more temperature receptors in the brain which causes them to experience the symptoms more acutely than the fairer sexThe difference lies in the area of the brain which balances a variety of bodily mechanisms, including temperature.

Men and women both start out as equals in dealing with colds because the area is the same size in children.

But when boys hit puberty testosterone starts to act on the area, known as the preoptic nucleus, making it larger.

It is in the area known as the hypothalamus just underneath the cortex towards the front of the brain and hooked up to the pituitary gland, which sends out hormones.

As a result of having more receptors, men run a higher temperature and feel rougher

Dr Ellison, 38, a senior lecturer at Durham, said: 'When you have a cold one of the things that happens is you get an increase in temperature to fight off the bugs.

'The bugs can't survive at higher temperatures. When your immune system is under attack the preoptic nucleus increases temperature to kill off the bugs.''But men have more temperature receptors because that area of the brain is bigger in men than women.

'So men run a higher temperature and feel rougher - and if they complain they feel rough then maybe they're right.'

Previous research a number of years ago did point towards Man Flu. But the findings related to genetically engineered mice and were widely regarded as inconclusive.

Dr Ellison has used research carried out by other people on actual human brains to arrive at her conclusions in her book, Getting Your Head Around the Brian, focussing on the difference between the minds of men and women.The original research methods involved the study of brains in post mortem as well as images obtained from scans.

'My research is on how different parts of the brain communicate with each other,' she continued.

'My role is to put two and two together. There is no hard evidence that the feelings are worse in males in females. This is a possible cause - but the argument will rage on.

'It is part of the whole argument about the differences between men and women and how their behaviour can be influenced by differences in their brains.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

'My role is to put two and two together. There is no hard evidence that the feelings are worse in males in females. This is a possible cause - but the argument will rage on.

Yep, like I've been saying all along - you are all weaklings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Alice1 wrote: »

Yep, like I've been saying all along - you are all weaklings!

Fight me and prove it :pac:

You're the worst woman of your name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

sick.....very sick, few sympathy posts please, no one understands me in my house. wipe your own nose is all im getting :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

cruiser178 wrote: »
    sick.....very sick, few sympathy posts please, no one understands me in my house. wipe your own nose is all im getting :(

I've been saying it for a long time - men need to organise and stand up to discrimination. We are in the middle of a full blown gender war here! I'm with you brother, retreat to your bed and have many hot drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Man down. Halp. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Senna wrote: »
    I may have to MaryHarney about building a hospital in my back garden.

What does 'MaryHarney' mean, is it another way to say 'Think' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Man down, call for backup.

On the plus side I've taken the missus down with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Evil, pure evil. Be Brave sister anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Why is everyone sick all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Not sure, but the green stuff thats be flowing out of me has been exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I had a bad dose of it 3 weeks ago and I NEVER ever get the flu. Coughing my guts up for nearly 2 weeks but thankfully nearly passed now. Still have a dry sore throat in the morning though. On the plus side I did give it to the missus :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Ive been in bed with it all day,i cant get out of bed cos im too weak and am aching all over, i have herself bringing lemsips up to me though, even though she was at the doctor on friday with a really bad chest infection, she is still sick but at least is taking anti biotics, and she is downstairs minding the kids one of whome has a high temp and the other has just gotten over a sore throat, but im a way sicker then the lot of them of course;) even though she doesnt believe me:D

Advertisement