Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Just back from our first scan. It was so exciting. The mid wife was lovely. I couldn't believe the detail of the scan. I was expecting to have to nod politely saying I could see my baby but it was so simple. The baby was kicking his legs all around I couldn't believe how active it was. The print outs were great too. Can't stop looking at them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Nice one Capri! The level of detail in the scan is pretty good alright. We've had a few people who had kids 15 years ago say that the scans are a lot more detailed than the ones they had. When is the baby due?

J.

Due on June 6th. Early days yet but a lot to look forward to!

That's mad, that's my wife's birthday! She's due on the 10th. So yep, still lots of time - to plan and to panic! We're kinda waiting 'til the new year before we start looking at organising things, like rearranging the bedroom (we've a small house) to figure out where we'll put everything...

J.

Good idea. I was so happy yesterday I went to Ikea and bought a cot. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

My O/H is due on xmas eve,excited and terrified at the same time,already have a 6 year old so dont know why im terrified but feel like i have forgotten everything from when he was a nipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Missus is due today. Haven't slept well over last few nights with excitement. Good practice i suppose. Small cramps this mornin so maybe its beginning.

Best of luck scrubber72, hope it all goes well!

J.

Cramps started at 3 but nothing else to report. Hopefully this time tomorrow it will be here.

And we are off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

scrubber72 wrote: »
    And we are off

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

And we are off

Best of luck to you both.

And we are off

Hope it all goes well for you, let us know the news when you have it!

J.

Sorry all posted in due Dec. Emma Kate born Sat mornin 7lbs 11oz. Long day and night. All good now and have fallen in love again.

Ah, that's excellent, congrats! Was wondering how it was going as we hadn't heard anything! :)

J.

So my wife said to me last night that Michael Bublé was playing in the O2 in July and that she'd love to go. I thought to myself - 'Hmmm, Michael Bublé, I'm not sure if I'd like to see him, but I've heard he's good live' etc. etc., waiting for her to say 'do you want to come with me?'.

And then she says 'Would you mind the baby that night so I can go?'! :) It was mad, it had never even occured to me that the baby would be here by then. And my wife was the same; when she first heard of the tickets she was delighted, planning going, who'd she'd go with etc., and then suddenly 'we'll have a baby then' popped into her head.

I told her of course I'll mind the baby, I'm sure by then she'd love a night out and it'll be good for me to spend some time alone with it (it's still an 'it' or 'bump' at the moment). But it's just funny how neither of us thought of the baby first. It's a little insight of how things will change in a few months. Not just about planning differently for a concert of course, but just how the baby will become the first thing we think of!

J.

Jason my best mate (who I live with) is due in February. We were booking the Bublé tickets today and had the same conversation as you last night - it's weird having to think of a babysitter when you are use to just doing what you want!! It was the first time we have really arranged anything for after the baby is here that we need a babysitter for.

Yep, it really makes you think about it alright!

Any chance of the pre-sale code? ;)

J.

Sent you a PM

Thanks so much for trying, but no luck I'm afraid...

J.

• Advertisement

Well, we were back in the Coombe today to meet with the consultant. Had a lot of fun with the traffic (though parking in Lidl was really handy!) and queued in the Public Queue before being directed to the semi-private queue, so we were nearly 45mins late for our appointment. But everyone was really friendly and helpful.

It all went fine, the consultant did a quick scan too so bump is doing fine, still has a good strong heartbeat so that's good. Won't be seeing the Consultant again until March and the anatomy scan is the end of Jan so we won't be back in the Coombe for a while. Now we can relax and enjoy our last quiet Christmas! :)

J.

Happy New Year everyone!

It's been very quiet around here, is everyone babysitting? :)

We had a visit to the GP today. All's going well, and we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time, so that was really cool! :) Next appointment is the anatomy scan in 4 weeks. Nearly halfway now, it's going pretty quickly really...

J.

We're 7 weeks gone tomorrow, first time for both of us and I couldn't be happier about it, but I feel so so helpless at the moment as my other half is suffering really badly with morning sickness......we've tried all the usual remedies, but nothing seems to work for her, and anything can set her off, at any time! It's so bloody frustrating for both us and it kills me to think that there's a another 5/6 weeks at least to look forward to!

38 weeks gone today, just back from hospital check up and baby's head is down & engaged, so delighted with that.
    All the appointments we have been to, the doctors have said that the baby is very active, hope that doesnt mean the baby will be non stop when he/she comes out as well :D
    My wife finishes work on Wednesday, so at least she'll be comfortable at home if anything starts happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

jasonb wrote: »
    Happy New Year everyone!

It's been very quiet around here, is everyone babysitting? :)

We had a visit to the GP today. All's going well, and we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time, so that was really cool! :) Next appointment is the anatomy scan in 4 weeks. Nearly halfway now, it's going pretty quickly really...

J.

Hi Jason, I was reading through your story, sorry to hear you lost one of your twins. But glad everything is going well with other .

Hi Jason, I was reading through your story, sorry to hear you lost one of your twins. But glad everything is going well with other .

Thanks monkeysnapper. It's all going well alright, and my wife's just begining to get occasional butterflies in her stomach, so she's now starting to feel the bump move around!

And congrats Midleton Thai, though I'm sorry to hear your other half is having a rough time of it!

You must be counting the days at this stage zefer?

J.

Thanks monkeysnapper. It's all going well alright, and my wife's just begining to get occasional butterflies in her stomach, so she's now starting to feel the bump move around!

And congrats Midleton Thai, though I'm sorry to hear your other half is having a rough time of it!

You must be counting the days at this stage zefer?

J.

Its a fantastic feeling, the first time you get to feel the baby move!Enjoy jason

Yep, but since Xmas it feels like every week is like a month but it can't come quick enough now :)

J.

A better day today after a rough start - she was very very sick this morning, went to the docs at about 9 and we were sent to hospital (cork university maternity hospital) for fluids etc.

Couldn't speak highly enough of the staff we dealt with up there, and what a difference a day makes - an injection for the nausea, 2 litres of fluids, and she's managed to sip on a bottle of lucozade and water and had her first full meal in about a week and a half, and is still feeling good!

A relief to have her back to herself again, and fingers crossed she gets a bit of relief from it all!

Good to read everbody elses tales on here. Btw....couldn't but break my arse laughing the other night as she puked and farted at the same time...but to be fair, she had a bit of a giggle at that herself (in between wretches!!!). I don't doubt the rest of you have experienced the same at some stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

A better day today after a rough start - she was very very sick this morning, went to the docs at about 9 and we were sent to hospital (cork university maternity hospital) for fluids etc.

Couldn't speak highly enough of the staff we dealt with up there, and what a difference a day makes - an injection for the nausea, 2 litres of fluids, and she's managed to sip on a bottle of lucozade and water and had her first full meal in about a week and a half, and is still feeling good!

A relief to have her back to herself again, and fingers crossed she gets a bit of relief from it all!

Good to read everbody elses tales on here. Btw....couldn't but break my arse laughing the other night as she puked and farted at the same time...but to be fair, she had a bit of a giggle at that herself (in between wretches!!!). I don't doubt the rest of you have experienced the same at some stage :D

I have perfected the art of continuing a conversation with my husband and puking in a bowl at the same time. It's a life skill!

It is hard on the men too, I know my hubby found it hard to see me so ill and not be able to do anything. He said it was like I wasn't really there for a few months, I was a zombie version of myself! He looked after me really well. Did everything in the house and for me while I just lay in bed and constantly watched my fluid intake. It's all you can do really! I'm sure you're the same. The only cure for ms, in my experience is time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭weezer1980

Long time lurker, first time poster

My wife and i are due our first baby in June this year and i have to say i am over the moon at the moment. its still exciting now at 18 weeks as it was when we found out at 3 weeks. It was a planned pregnancy and we were blessed it happened first time. we are not long married but wanted to start our family as soon as possible as my OH was concerned about her age. she will be 38 when the baby arrives

she has not had the nausea or morning sickness but had what i can describe as severe fatigue :D which has been fine to be honest. i am doing my best to help out around the house and encouraging her to relax while i do bathrooms and stuff but she is a stubborn woman and well as most men know, we never do it to the same standards :p

with the age thing, i have noticed and we have discussed that she is not obviously excited about the pregnancuy due to concerns that something might go wrong. she has said she is over the moon but finding it hard to get excited as she thinks something will happen and she wants to know she will be prepared for that . she says the fact she does not feel pregnant, so that it why she isnt getting excited yet but says once she feels the baby she will know its real and then start to enjoy it more. has anyone here had the same experience as me with this??? i hope im not the only one

we are going private which i was against at the beginning but so far so good, we have had the two quick scans, one at 11 weeks and another this past Tuesday. the big one is scheduled for February. it was mental to actually see him/her in there moving about. the difference in the two scans was unreal as the size change was unbelievable. i was a big baba so im guessing we may have a big one. i was a 10 pounder :D

we have started looking at what we need to do in the house and what we need to get for the baby and have started our budgeting as well to save for what we need now and for what we will need after.

Our families have been very supportive to say the least. we are lucky to have them around us and well plenty of babysitters on offer.

i have started and you might call me crazy but have started talking to the bump, i know its early but i just have this instinct to do it. dont know why. she thinks im crazy but in fairness doesnt stop me either. I cant wait for her to start feeling the butterflies which the consultant said should be around the 20 week mark and to then feel the baba kick.

its scary and exciting at the same time like so many others here i have read about. you do realise that you are to be a parent but then you realise, you are responsible for there upbringing and thats unreal. but then again our parents all went through it so hopefully we will manage.

i will be a more regular poster here so thanks for listening to my rant and i hope to get to know you guys as we progress

Advertisement