Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Bit of relief yesterday to see & hear the heartbeat at 8 weeks. Great strong heartbeat at 158bpm which they said was very good. Early days but everything where it should be and growing as i should be, so delighted for the moment.

Made it a bit more real too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Wife's waters broke and after being admitted we are waiting for c-section. Scary and exciting at the same time!

Noopti wrote: »
    Wife's waters broke and after being admitted we are waiting for c-section. Scary and exciting at the same time!

Best of luck to you and Mammy. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

Cheers Qwerty!
    Baby Jamie born at 12:40, weighing just over 10lbs. Both him and mammy doing great. A whirlwind morning but we are both delighted!

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

Cheers Qwerty!
    Baby Jamie born at 12:40, weighing just over 10lbs. Both him and mammy doing great. A whirlwind morning but we are both delighted!

Congratulations. That is great news. Let the fun begin :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

hi all just an update

its not good news the otherhalf mc yesterday morning but we managed to get the baby she was 14 weeks and 3 days.
    so in the process of organising a service. we are devistated and herself is been kept in. hospital staff are great in rotunda but hope to get her out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

vickers209 wrote: »
    hi all just an update

its not good news the otherhalf mc yesterday morning but we managed to get the baby she was 14 weeks and 3 days.
    so in the process of organising a service. we are devistated and herself is been kept in. hospital staff are great in rotunda but hope to get her out tomorrow.
    So sorry to hear this .. Hope you and your partner all the best in the future and try keep strong mate .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi Guys,

I'm set to become a father for the first time end of October. Really excited about it and my other half has been outstanding throughout the entire pregnancy. I have to admit though I am absolutly terrified about the birth itself. I know I have to stay calm for her but my mind will be a wash of worry and anxiety for everything to be ok I get nervous even thinking about it. Any words of wisdom from the wise?

We had a check up last week and the doctors told us that the baby is in a breach position at the moment, if he doesn't move around in the next few weeks they are going to try and move him manually , herself really doesn't want to have this done as it's meant to be pretty painfull so were hopefull he turns himself otherwise we may be looking at a section.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I have to admit though I am absolutly terrified about the birth itself. I know I have to stay calm for her but my mind will be a wash of worry and anxiety for everything to be ok I get nervous even thinking about it. Any words of wisdom from the wise?
    Forget everything that you've learned from the TV about labour and childbirth. Aside from pain and a baby at the end, every portrayal of the process on film is wrong and misleading :D

Get your hands on a good baby book that's aimed only at fathers, so you can understand how the process will work from your end and how it will appear to you.

I've the same, first child due at the end of October and had our first prenatal class last night. The physio had a great way of describing labour and contractions as a bit like a wave pool. At first you have some random ripples, then some small waves, and it progressively builds up to bigger and bigger waves.
    The key things I took away from last night were:

- the average time from the onset of labour to birth is about 12 hours, 90% of which is spent doing nothing except coping with contractions - so no pushing or anything, just learning to manage the discomfort (a mild word for it) of contracting.
    - Once dilation is complete (after about 11 hours on average), you're 45 minutes to an hour away from a baby appearing.

To me this basically said, "Don't panic". From the onset of labour, you have lots of time. If you get a phone call in work, you don't have to break every traffic light on the way home and barge in a sweaty mess. The process is quite slow and if you can be aware of it and the various signs, then you can be in control of it and your emotions.
    No doubt your wife and yourself have heard stories from other people of their horrendous birth, from parents of 36 hours of labour and from random stories on the internet of women who went into labour and gave birth 13 minutes later on the kitchen floor.

These are the statistical outsiders. And the reason you hear about them and and not all of the "everything went as expected" stories is precisely because they're the statistical outsiders.
    We had a check up last week and the doctors told us that the baby is in a breach position at the moment, if he doesn't move around in the next few weeks they are going to try and move him manually , herself really doesn't want to have this done as it's meant to be pretty painfull so were hopefull he turns himself otherwise we may be looking at a section.
    Don't worry too much about this, you're still only 30/31 weeks? I remember at a small scan (28 weeks I think), the doctor said that the baby was breech which might be something to be concerned about, and we almost laughed at him. There's plenty of time yet for the baby to turn. Breech at 34 weeks is the time to start considering alternatives, and still breech at 36 weeks is generally the time when you decide for definite if you want to turn the baby or go for a c-section. Babies can still turn later than this, but since 38 weeks is considered "term", the doctor may want to avoid a breech birth and schedule a C-section for the first day of the 38th week.
    The baby turns quite quickly, so she could wake up practically any morning to find it's in the correct position.

Did our last parenting class last night. Overall it was 2 with the physio for birthing positions and stuff, and 3 with a midwife, discussing labour, feeding and looking after a newborn. Totally worth it, especially for someone like me who's never had to spend more than five minutes alone with a baby. Lots of info I knew already, but then lots of "on the ground" stuff to fill the gaps in what I knew.

Last night at one point she was discussing "resuming sexual relations" (if you have the energy) and recommended that you wait until you've had the six-week post natal checkup to make sure everything's OK. "But you don't have to. We've had women come in for their six-week checkup and discover that they're pregnant again" :eek:

I think that, more than anything, is the scariest thing I heard in any of the classes :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 May73

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Just an update on my own situation . I'm currently sitting here looking at my week old son . Still cant believe I'm a father.

We went in last Wednesday at 7.30 am and he arrived at 10.35 pm at 7lbs 4 . He needed the fore seps to get him out but he is a healty little fella thank god.

Best of luck to all still waiting and enjoy every second .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just an update on my own situation . I'm currently sitting here looking at my week old son . Still cant believe I'm a father.

We went in last Wednesday at 7.30 am and he arrived at 10.35 pm at 7lbs 4 . He needed the fore seps to get him out but he is a healty little fella thank god.

Best of luck to all still waiting and enjoy every second .

Congratulations to you and your OH. Enjoy it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Due date was yesterday...man, The waiting game sucks!!!!

Since this is the second one and the first had to be induced we're kinda expecting this to be the same so, if all goes to plan, Only nine more days of psychotic irrationality before the fun really begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Smarten

My partner Ash gave birth in the coombe yesterday to a beautiful baby girl. Alannah Faye is her name and she is so gorgeous. 7lbs 12oz and 52cm.. Very emotional day but must say the staff in the Coombe were fantastic..Ash is doing really well and dad is still up in the clouds, blubbering every time he thinks of yesterday :-)

Smarten wrote: »
    My partner Ash gave birth in the coombe yesterday to a beautiful baby girl. Alannah Faye is her name and she is so gorgeous. 7lbs 12oz and 52cm.. Very emotional day but must say the staff in the Coombe were fantastic..Ash is doing really well and dad is still up in the clouds, blubbering every time he thinks of yesterday :-)

Brilliant stuff. Congrats and all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Smarten wrote: »

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Have enjoyed reading through most of this thread, some great info here, so thanks to everyone for contributing.

We found out a few days ago that we're expecting our first. It's already been a long road, with a couple of years of fertility treatment, so it's just great to finally reach this stage. We're both very worried about everything that could go wrong (especially as it's still very early days) but also both excited and scared and in shock!

Fingers crossed everything goes well between now and June... :)

J.

Very quite in here this month , my other half is due 1'st of November and the nerves are really starting to kick in now. Anyone else due soon?...I guess were 3 weeks from due date now and as great as she's been through the whole pregnancy it's really starting to get to her now. She's on maternity leave and is just bored sitting around the house all day, we have pretty much everything ready to go so it's a waiting game.

I'd imagine in the next week or two she'll start screaming at me to 'Get it out of me already!' , she's fairly small and baby looks pretty big he definatly doesn't have much room in there for all the moving around he's doing lol...

Six whole days for me. Still hasn't really sunk in tbh, I'm not feeling the "imminence" of it yet. In my head it's still "miles away" like it was 6 months ago. Maybe when I have trouble sleeping next Tuesday, it'll have sunk in. :D

I'm very excited though.

My wife is equally glad and pissed off she's still working. Pissed off because she's sore and uncomfortable and tired and just wants the baby here now. Glad because she would be climbing the walls if she didn't have something to do. She only gets four real days maternity leave before the birth and she has already filled them up with going for dinners and coffees and such :D

• Advertisement

As someone at the other end of the waiting game, it must be quite nervy being so close to the big day. Best of luck to you both, I hope it goes really well for you all...

J.

When is your other half due Seamus? Congrats Jason , the 9 months really do fly in. Once it starts to kick in and the prep work starts it'll start to kick in for you that it's real and actually going to happen. My other half told me she was pregnant when Utd were beaten by Ajax in last years champions league que me going mental at the TV and she's like ' I don't know if this is the best time to bring this up...but I'm pregnant'....suddenly the football was the last thing on my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Hi all.
    I'm new here and we have known for a month that my girlfriend is due in June. Very excited. Already told the family and they're thrilled. I know it's early but whatever happens I want them to be there to help us. We are 6 weeks into it so far.

Congrats to you and your girlfriend Capri86! Has it sunk in yet? We're slowly getting used to my wife actually being pregnant, but I don't think we're used to that meaning we'll have a baby in June yet! :)

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    Congrats to you and your girlfriend Capri86! Has it sunk in yet? We're slowly getting used to my wife actually being pregnant, but I don't think we're used to that meaning we'll have a baby in June yet! :)

J.

I know the feeling. It has sunk in a bit alright but it's a great feeling. I forget about it in work sometimes and then when I remember I can't believe it. It's all good. I'm hoping the next few months fly in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time father/poster.

Found out last night that the baby will be 'arriving' on Tuesday, most likely via a C-Section.

We're at Week 36 so a little bit early, but Mrs. Cartman has had cholestasis for the past few weeks so the consultant has decided to intervene. The baby is doing fine (blood flow healthy, lots of activity) and has been monitored daily (sometimes twice daily) for the last 4 weeks or so.

The last week has been super stressful in particular and the whole enormity of what's happening is slowly starting to dawn on me. It's seemed like a very long journey to get here but not long to go now so fingers crossed that Mom and baby are ok come Tuesday evening.

Going off-topic slightly - to anyone out there who's humming and hahhing about going private, whether it's worth the money etc. - from our personal experience I would strongly recommend it. Without doubt, the best money I've spent in my life so far. The consultant has been absolutely top notch....genuinely don't think we'd have got anywhere near the same level of care in the public system.

Anyway, will update again in due course. Best wishes to all on here, cm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Updating sooner than expected!:D:D:D:D:D

Baby boy born last night, almost 7lbs, Mom and baby a-ok.

Absolutely surreal day yesterday - overwhelming, frightening, joyous and unforgettable.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Updating sooner than expected!:D:D:D:D:D

Baby boy born last night, almost 7lbs, Mom and baby a-ok.

Absolutely surreal day yesterday - overwhelming, frightening, joyous and unforgettable.

Congratulations everyone thats great news.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Congrats Cartman78!
    Welcome to the club!

• Advertisement

My beautiful baby girl born via csection on Wednesday. Totally scheduled and still scary as hell.
    Funny how quickly you get into the swing of it. Hopefully bringing her home today, I'm utterly shattered but totally besotted :D
    Her Mum got her first sleep last night after 72 hours awake, she's a trooper, I'm in awe.

Advertisement