Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 alansilly

beertons wrote: »
    Holy crap. I'd give it a good go alright, but i don't think i could be up in the hospital in 21 minutes.

Congrats!

ha i hope my gf doesnt go after 21minutes, it takes bout 45mins to castlebar anyway :-) don't think it that quick for 1st baby anyway, im tellin other half she will be in labour bout 2 or 3 days lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Cienciano wrote: »
    Had our second a few days ago, they're usually faster. Ours was 21 minutes :cool:

For the third child you wont even have to pay for the parking!

For the third child you wont even have to pay for the parking!

let us have our 1st one 1st and see how we get on lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

alansilly wrote: »
    ha i hope my gf doesnt go after 21minutes, it takes bout 45mins to castlebar anyway :-) don't think it that quick for 1st baby anyway, im tellin other half she will be in labour bout 2 or 3 days lol

I had 1.5 hours of labour in total on number 1.... I almost didn't make hospital...
    Baby #1 was born 10 minutes after arriving at hospital so it can go quickly on your first.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Just told the Families on sunday that we are going for number 2. They are all delighted and a bit shocked I think. !st child is 16 months. She will be 22 months when her brother or sister comes along. Hope its a brother cause living in a house with 3 girls........

Better add but i dont mind if its a girl either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Congratulations. 22 months is a nice gap. I have a 5 week old and hubby wants another already. Kids are great though and when you have an easy goin baby you'll always do it again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Congratulations. 22 months is a nice gap. I have a 5 week old and hubby wants another already. Kids are great though and when you have an easy goin baby you'll always do it again

We have 14 months between our two- and both were only over 3lbs coming home. It hasn't been easy. We'd love a third- but to be honest- the finances don't make sense- we're barely threading water as-is with creche fees etc- and more pay cuts on the horizon. Its crazy that creche fees aren't tax deductible- even at the lower rate. I don't understand how working families are supposed to have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Expecting our second girl in 10-12 days time. First girl is 2 years and 4 months old. And if I had my way I will dress her in blue and call her Séan or Alex or Josh, but I don't think I will be allowed though..!

God he was slow. I wants to go again as soon as we got home. whats Irish twins. Emily was born start of Jan. Needless to say I was told to get that out of my head or go sleep in the other room :D

Oh he wasnt too slow as soon as I gave birth the midwife asked whens the next one and he said as soon as its possible... My utter shock of course after what I just did. But as far as first time labour I was lucky took me 40 minutes to go into labour and be ready to push has to be some sort of record and I went into labour on my due date so that was another plus... there saying I might have to be induced with the next baby as I prob wont make the hospital as it tends to be faster second time :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Oh he wasnt too slow as soon as I gave birth the midwife asked whens the next one and he said as soon as its possible... My utter shock of course after what I just did. But as far as first time labour I was lucky took me 40 minutes to go into labour and be ready to push has to be some sort of record and I went into labour on my due date so that was another plus... there saying I might have to be induced with the next baby as I prob wont make the hospital as it tends to be faster second time :O

on my son, I had about 20 mins active labour ... Before he was born after 2 pushes.
    Due number 2 in October , so worried about fast labour bur don't think cumh policy is to induce just because of fast labour .... I live nearly 20 mins from cumh in quiet traffic, we don't drive & we will have toddler to be taken care of this time....

I'm a bit more than 20 mins kinda forget that you have to have so much organised with baby number 1 for when you go to have baby number 2. Think it been so fast it makes for a present labour no long daunting process to go through. The only down side for me was I had to get knocked out a couple of hours later in the theatre :-( did not like leaving baby

Imagine how they seem to the misses!! Good luck with it all

Imagine how they seem to the misses!! Good luck with it all

that's very true, were just there to shut up and support them, and hold baby after :-)

And possibly hold a leg!
    But I will say I couldn't do it without hubby. Defo wouldn't have gotten through it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Haven't posted in a while, but I thought it was time to give an update!

My wife's at 37.5 weeks now, due date is 10th June. We were in The Coombe again yesterday and everything's going fine, she's head down which is good, though she's actually sideways (spine on my wife's left hand side, limbs on the right) which explains why a lot of the pushing is on the right.

And it's definitely pushing now, there's still a lot of movement, but a lot less kicks, and a lot more pushing and stretching and basically lumps moving around. It's mad and fun, I do enjoy rubbing her foot or arm or whatever and feeling her move it somewhere else to get it away from me! :)

We're pretty much ready, I think, practically anyhow, if not mentally or emotionally! The ante-natal classes are all done, we even did the quick tour of the labour wards (I was impressed with how big the labour rooms are), and we're now seeing our GP or Consultant every week. Really all we can do now is wait and hope it all goes well. Fingers crossed she won't leave us waiting too long and we'll meet her soon...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PaddyPope

Great to see this thread is still going strong! :) I posted here last year about expecting but unfortunately the baby was ectopic and we lost it. I'm back again though as we are now 12 weeks along and he/she is inside the womb and growing strong! :) To be honest this time were both a lot more comfortable and prepared and over the moon with excitement and nerves. Looking forward to having somewhere I can talk to some veteran fathers, new fathers and fellow fathers-to-be if I need some advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Wife is now 30 wks and 'bump' is going from strength to strength. Hasn't quite gotten to the stage where it is kicking me out of the bed (I have been warned of this phenomenon by my Brother-in-Law). There is a lot of movement going on and it is really great to feel what is going on.

Herself is getting quite tired now and is napping a good bit. She's not a complainer in any way but she would have a reason to... 13hr days (commute and working) four days a week is enough to kill anyone let alone someone carrying a lil person. It was fve days a week until recently but she managed to arrange a day a week annual leave.

It's defo becoming more and more real by the day for me. Getting bits and bobs for the house now. Gradually it's coming together. We've a bit of DIY to do before 'bump' comes along to make house OK which I'm hoping to get done in next month... kinda want it outta way before (potential) early arrival of 'bump' in July.

Anyway, all's good at the moment. Hope all is well with the rest of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

A great thread - its 22months since I last wrote into it. We are again expecting a baby in 14 days time (hopefully safe and sound). Aren't kids great! I am very interested to see how my daughter will get on with her sibling. Daughter had colic and reflux for approximately 6 months so I'm hoping baby 2 will not be similar in that sense.

Do people use two baby monitors? I like my angel care - more so for the motion pad (in case of SIDS) and think its useful. What do people do? Buy a new one or use it for the new baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Hi all.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice / reassurance. Our first baby is due in a few weeks. I'm nervous, scared & excited all at once!

Anyway the thing that's troubling me is that I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

All through my life I've had 'episodes' where I end up fainting - this is usually when I have to go to the doctor / dentist / hospital... It's a long story but I'm working on it at the moment.

When we went for our first scan months ago it almost happened to me again. Each time we've had any sort of appointment I get really nervous / anxious in the waiting room and start feeling faint.

My fear is that when it comes to the labour I'm going to be useless. Or even worse have a complete panic attack and either pass out or have an uncontrollable urge to leave the hospital (as selfish as that sounds).

Anyone had any experience like this? If so, how did you overcome it?

• Advertisement

Haven't had experience of panic attacks myself, but the mid-wife at our anti-natal classes had some good advice about not fainting in the labour wards. Basically, it's a hot, stressful environment, and it's easy to struggle. It's hot 'cos they don't want the babies getting too much of a temperature shock when they're born. And it's stressful for obvious reasons! The advice she gave for partners was not to wear too many layers, drink plently of water during the labour, take time out when you can to get some food into you (even a mars bar and a can of coke will help), sit down when you can, and if the midwife tells you to go outside for a bit of air, do it, she can see that you're not looking great!

Basically, it can be quite long, so as much as you don't want to leave your partner, there's no harm taking a break for a min for yourself, as long as you time it well (like between contractions etc.). I hope it goes well for you...

As for myself, my wife's due today, but there's no sign of anything yet, so we're in the waiting game. The Coombe have said they don't let anyone past 10 days, so something should hopefully happen by Thursday week! Really hoping we don't have to wait that long to be honest. Feeling very nervous, and not knowing when it's going to happen is just mad...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Thanks for the advice, and best of luck with everything!

It's only now starting to seem so 'real'... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

tepnam, I was a bit freaked out too thinking about it, but as it turned out they induced my wife in the evening, her waters broke at around 4am and baba was born at around 6am, I barely made it in on time (arrived to her ward and she wasnt there, had to literally run to the delivery room..now that got the heart pounding!). I got to hold one leg and the midwife the other and out he came, believe me with the screaming and squirming going on from herself I had not time to think straight or be anxious at all. I'd say once things get down to business you'll have so much going on you'll forget all about being anxious etc, at least thats how it was for me.

All the best and try to think about the positives, trust me, your mind will be blown looking at the little person thats here in the world only because of you and herself together, awesome!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Well, my daughter Isabella was born at 8pm last night! Amazing experience, quite a long labour but my wife was just amazing and handled it so well. 9lbs, so she's a big one! :) Just getting used to her being in the world now!

Have nothing but praise for The Coombe and their midwives, they were so calm and helpful. We used the 'Birth Pool' (basically a large comfy bath) and my wife loved it, she found it so relaxing and it really helped with the pain, and then she got out for the birth itself. It made the whole process so relaxing, very 'not what you see on TV'! :) We'd definitely recommend it...

J.

Congrads Jasonb. You life is about to change. All for the better. Well except changing them sh!ttie napopies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Jasonb you robbed my name! :-)
    Huge congrats to you and your missus, delighted all is well.

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Jasonb you robbed my name! :-)
    Huge congrats to you and your missus, delighted all is well.

How did you know her name was 'Isabella Pat'? :)

Thanks for the kind wishes, we're all at home now, thanks to The Coombe's Community Midwife scheme. The baby gets to come home after a day (21 hours in our case!) if everything's ok, and then a midwife visits you in your house for a few days to help out. Such a great idea, so much nicer being in your own home...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Lol! Just Isabella, or Isabelle. We have till Sept to decide. Either way, she'll be called Izzy from day 1 so it probably doesn't matter.

Congrats again, best of luck with your new life!

Thanks a lot Pat. It has already been stressful, she wasn't feeding great at all and we ended up back in the Coombe last night as she just wasn't taking enough milk. A lovely nurse there essentially 'force-fed' her, despite her being really sleepy, and that seems to have kick-started the feeding instinct and she's feeding great now. So many things to worry about already, but she's a little dote too... :)

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Happy Father's Day to all the daddies and daddies-to-be!!

Advertisement