Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

C section is the last thing we want. My wife wouldn't be able to lift and hold the baby. Breast feeding would be a disaster. You're not supposed to drive, or spend long on your feet. A few of the ladys friends have had them, been a disaster. And expensive. You need home help to get through the day, with the extra housework and stuff like that. So i was told anyway, and its underlined in her birth plan, that only c section if its the last resort. 3 weeks left for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

I am new to the whole c-section thing so maybe I'll change my tune when they arrive home from the hospital. I've saved up all my holidays this year for then so we'll have about a month of me being there to do the housework/shopping/taking care of our existing 21 month old etc.

She's been breastfeeding them in the hospital room with the help of the nurses and she said she felt a lot better than she expected yesterday when she got out of bed for the first time and had a shower. I'm guessing this was not the experience that others on this forum have had?

Anyhoo, I'm sure I'll find out more about the whole thing soon enough and I'll report back with any news. It's kinda handy to have this forum for opinions and resources from a dads perspective so thank you mods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If she over exerts herself she will really feel it, although elective c sections can be completely different to emergency c sections. I was under general anesthetic for mine rather than just the normal epidural/spinal block they give so I had that to get over also.

What I found in the later stages of recovery was that my body would tell me if I was over doing it, (TMI warning for any squeamish daddies out there!) by way of bleeding... I always bled a lot more if I was over doing it rather than taking it easy.

It will be great that she'll have you around to help for the first little while and should help her in her recovery. When she gets home, just let her sit, or lie down, whichever she prefers, and feed babies and rest while you do everything else. She'll be all the better for it.

She had the spinal alright and the doctor we had is apparently one of the best. It was recommendations about the doctor in question that actually made us go to her in the first place and I have to admit, she is a pretty awesome doc.

Quick mod question, is it ok to post a docs name if you want to praise them to high heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Congrats smoking man on the arrival of your twins! I'm pretty sure i know your wife on another forum, delighted she is feeling well and managing so well with the babies. You take good care of her now! It's great you will be on hand at home while she gets over her surgery! Have you introduced your older boy to his new brothers yet?

• Advertisement

KayTee wrote: »
    Congrats smoking man on the arrival of your twins! I'm pretty sure i know your wife on another forum, delighted she is feeling well and managing so well with the babies. You take good care of her now! It's great you will be on hand at home while she gets over her surgery! Have you introduced your older boy to his new brothers yet?

MagicMum yeah? ;)
    We introduced the little fella to them last night and he had a big smile on his face and patted them on the head a bit. Got a bit ratty after that though but that was down to him being in the hospital just past his bedtime.
    The visiting hours policy isn't the most conducive to allowing a toddler in as he's only allowed in from 7pm-8:30. I can understand where they're coming from but it's a bit ****ty all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

yes - MM :D

how cute was the big brother! Delighted all is going well, hope you got to spend some time with mummy and the twins today. Enjoy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've been following this thread for months with interest, as we've been TTC for the past 6 months or so. Wondered when I'd get to post in it....

OH missed her period yesterday. Did a Clearblue test this morning, positive result - 1 to 2 weeks. :D

Now she's gone off to work for a few hours and I'm left alone in the house, suddenly sh*tting myself. We've been reading all sorts of information on what to do, what to expect etc etc, but it's all gone, my mind is a scary blank!

Obviously way too early to tell anyone yet in the "real" world, but gotta get it out there somewhere!

smokingman wrote: »
    She had the spinal alright and the doctor we had is apparently one of the best. It was recommendations about the doctor in question that actually made us go to her in the first place and I have to admit, she is a pretty awesome doc.

Quick mod question, is it ok to post a docs name if you want to praise them to high heaven?

I wouldn't post names unless recommendations are asked for and then it'd be better if they were PM'd to the person asking for the recommendation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

Branoic wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for months with interest, as we've been TTC for the past 6 months or so. Wondered when I'd get to post in it....

OH missed her period yesterday. Did a Clearblue test this morning, positive result - 1 to 2 weeks. :D

Now she's gone off to work for a few hours and I'm left alone in the house, suddenly sh*tting myself. We've been reading all sorts of information on what to do, what to expect etc etc, but it's all gone, my mind is a scary blank!

Obviously way too early to tell anyone yet in the "real" world, but gotta get it out there somewhere!

Congrats! New Dad-to-be here too. Fifteen weeks gone. It's scary stuff at first but you get your heads around it pretty quick. We let friends and family know a few weeks ago - once that's out of the way you'll find yourselves being able to relax a bit more. Read a couple of books on the subject e.g. "What to Expect When You're Expecting" & "Pregnancy For Men", I found them very helpful. Good for picking up brownie points too ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Yeah, have a couple of books on order alright!

OH went to the doc yesterday and was dated at 5 weeks, so we've got a due date of May 1st. She's phoning the hospital today to make her first appointment.

She told her parents last night. I'll be telling mine next week when I see them, then we'll probably wait until week 10 or so to tell others.

I'm already under instruction to get the kitchen and sitting room painted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Branoic wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yeah, have a couple of books on order alright!

OH went to the doc yesterday and was dated at 5 weeks, so we've got a due date of May 1st. She's phoning the hospital today to make her first appointment.

She told her parents last night. I'll be telling mine next week when I see them, then we'll probably wait until week 10 or so to tell others.

I'm already under instruction to get the kitchen and sitting room painted!

The "pregnancy for men" books tend to be very good, and well geared towards men, far more than women. Explaining things that women seem to know instinctively :)

Try to get to as many of the scans and appointments too for more understanding. Best thing we did though was get a private scan where instead of the 15" screen in the hospital, you get a big 42" tv and the midwife explaining everything and all your questions answered. Have done that with both of my partners last pregnancies because you get a nice video too :)

And possibly a controversial piece of advice. If this is your first, get any benders or wild parties out of your system now while you have a chance :) Oh and enjoy your lie-ins :D Babies are very demanding, but great fun and hugely rewarding

Jeez, I haven't been in here in ages. The good woman is dues on Wednesday, but she says she'll go over. Hormones all over the place, hers not mine.

Bit of advice lads, get that bag packed at around 30 weeks. A pregnant friedn of hers called around Thursday for lunch. She was 33 weeks gone. She was saying how she had nothing done. Well on Friday her waters broke, and by c section on saturday, she had a little boy, weighing 4.5lbs. She got everything brought into her at the last minute, night dresses and what not. Has to spend 5 days minimum in hospital. Her husband did all the shopping for her. Don't be thinking you have loads of time, and make her aware of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Georgeee

Well everyone first time to ever post on this the girlfriends expecting she's 8weeks tomorrow is it me or does it seem like it's gonna be ages until April!! Can't wait it's our first a bit of a surprise but brilliant. Anyone got any tips for me??

beertons wrote: »
    Jeez, I haven't been in here in ages. The good woman is dues on Wednesday, but she says she'll go over. Hormones all over the place, hers not mine.

Bit of advice lads, get that bag packed at around 30 weeks. A pregnant friedn of hers called around Thursday for lunch. She was 33 weeks gone. She was saying how she had nothing done. Well on Friday her waters broke, and by c section on saturday, she had a little boy, weighing 4.5lbs. She got everything brought into her at the last minute, night dresses and what not. Has to spend 5 days minimum in hospital. Her husband did all the shopping for her. Don't be thinking you have loads of time, and make her aware of it too.

Best of luck on wednesday mate.

Yeah we're at 38 weeks and had false labour scare last night (still knackered) and realised we hadn't packed the bags. Am getting that sorted tonight.
    Georgeee wrote: »
    Well everyone first time to ever post on this the girlfriends expecting she's 8weeks tomorrow is it me or does it seem like it's gonna be ages until April!! Can't wait it's our first a bit of a surprise but brilliant. Anyone got any tips for me??

Buy small amounts of nappies, babygrows, etc every pay day between now and then. We did this on the last one and didn't have to buy anything for months, great relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

RedXIV wrote: »

Buy small amounts of nappies, babygrows, etc every pay day between now and then. We did this on the last one and didn't have to buy anything for months, great relief.

My girlfriend is against buying anything until near the date due to her superstitious nature. I started a post office account though and throw €20-€40 quid in there every week instead. I now think of it as "the baby's money", and I'd feel guilty touching it.

If you told me I'd be doing that a year ago I'd have laughed! :o

RedXIV wrote: »

My girlfriend is against buying anything until near the date due to her superstitious nature. I started a post office account though and throw €20-€40 quid in there every week instead. I now think of it as "the baby's money", and I'd feel guilty touching it.

If you told me I'd be doing that a year ago I'd have laughed! :o
    I've started that Aswell Savin as much a I can! Wouldn't feel right buyin stuf this early ! It mad to think how much priorities change in such a short time !

Mrs Beertons gave birth to a lovely baby boy on Saturday at 11:11pm, weighing 7lbs 8. Between contractions and labour, she was going from 2am till almost midnight. Got the epidural at around 4pm. Brilliant experience. She's a hero of mine now.

Mrs Beertons gave birth to a lovely baby boy on Saturday at 11:11pm, weighing 7lbs 8. Between contractions and labour, she was going from 2am till almost midnight. Got the epidural at around 4pm. Brilliant experience. She's a hero of mine now.

Awe brilliant, congratulations!

Great news mate, delighted for you! Good healthy size too!

Congrats to herself too!

• Advertisement

Congrats dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Lads, and Dads, will ye have read of the article by child psych David Coleman; absolutly brilliant, and tips on how Dad's can cope with a new baby, and also interesting stuff on how really, really valuable ye are in your little one's life!

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/parenting/so-what-kind-of-father-are-you-2880436.html?start=2

Congrats to all the new Dads out there, I stick my nose in here every now and then and it's such a ncie thread :)

I have to tell ya's this. If herself is still undecided about getting the epidural, get her to decide asap. Woman in room across from us was making her mind up, when all of a sudden, she went from 2cm to 8cm. 8cm was the cut off. The pain must have been unnatural. My missus fell asleep for an hour when she had hers, it was like she was floating. Where as the woman in the other room, wanted a swift ending. I have never been so uncomfortable, listening to her screams for help. Take everything that's offered to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

When does the sickness and puking end?!! She's 13 weeks and 2 days now and still puking daily and has zero energy. Any car journey = puke. Any walk longer than 100 metres = she feels tired and wants to sit down for a few minutes. Look up and she feels dizzy. I just feel so helpless, I signed up to be there in sickness and in health and I cant do a damn thing for her :( My wife has become a sick granny!

What is this baby doing to my woman!!??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    When does the sickness and puking end?!! She's 13 weeks and 2 days now and still puking daily and has zero energy. Any car journey = puke. Any walk longer than 100 metres = she feels tired and wants to sit down for a few minutes. Look up and she feels dizzy. I just feel so helpless, I signed up to be there in sickness and in health and I cant do a damn thing for her :( My wife has become a sick granny!

You're just about to hit the 2nd trimester mate, and it "should" calm down a bit then. For some women it doesn't and some it does. I know on herself's last pregnancy, she was very sick on the first trimester and then she got a nice break for the 2nd.

Differs from person to person and pregnancy to pregnancy. This is my gf's 2nd pregnancy in as many years and its completely different from the first one. She was in bits for the first one and its only the last week or two of this one has she been feeling out of sorts, and she's due next week :)

Sounds like this is her first pregnancy which always seems to hit the hardest, and realistically, all you can do is be prepared. Keep sick bags in the car and plan for walks taking alot longer. And keep your fingers crossed the 2nd trimester kicks in soon!

If she's getting dizzy when she's walking etc I'd mention it to her GP/consultant next time she see's them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

When my missis was getting sick at everything from the smell of cut grass to the mention of mushrooms, it took its toll! I eventually realised she didnt want me to do anything or to fix the situation. She wanted me to sit there and be cried and moaned at.. like one of those big nodding dogs. That seemed to make it all better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Just wait till she starts the next phase of the pregnancy. Which I like to call “The smell bit”! Then you will be thinking what is my wife trying to do to me!!!

O and i have need told to tell you i know how you feel, and now i have a sore arm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

My wife was so sick from about week 6 she didn't work with the exception of 5-6 weeks in the middle of the pregnacy but then she had to leave work again till the end. I was out of work too for six months from week 6 too so we together 24/7. I have to say it has put me off having a second alot more than its put her off. I just dont know how she could look after a 2 year old if she was that sick again as I'm back in work..

It's well worth it at end of day though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A day without puking!! Could this be the start of something wonderful! :D
    Thanks guys, puking, crying or whatever we'll get through it, easy for me to say, as she constantly reminds me!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement