Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Only 9 1/2 weeks to go (yeah, yeah, funny I know :D), and to prepare for fatherhood, I'm now without a cigarette for the last week.

Quitting after 15 years of smoking (odd month or 2 off them everyso often), coupled with the anticipation, anxiety and stress of waiting for baby to arrive is not the greatest combination.

And they say women have it hard during pregnancy :p

Same here bud. bout 9 weeks to go, off the fags a week. fun times. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

We are currently at 21 weeks now - time seems to drag at the moment!! Last night though i put my hand on my wife's bump and felt our baby move for the first time. Incredible experience - i can only imagine what it will be like when baby is born!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

DUBACC wrote: »
    We are currently at 21 weeks now - time seems to drag at the moment!! Last night though i put my hand on my wife's bump and felt our baby move for the first time. Incredible experience - i can only imagine what it will be like when baby is born!!

We have been in the final week for what feels like months !

T-1 day to go now hopefully bump doesn't go to late

Anyone been watching 1 born every minuite , great programme for settling labour ward nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paper cut

Just back from 1st scan. 6w3ds and found out that the baby is right size for the time but has heart beat of 70bpm and a 50/50 chance of miscarrage. Both my wife and i are so sad can't explain how much I want this. Don't know what I'm asking for or looking for, just need to write something.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

paper cut wrote: »
    Just back from 1st scan. 6w3ds and found out that the baby is right size for the time but has heart beat of 70bpm and a 50/50 chance of miscarrage. Both my wife and i are so sad can't explain how much I want this. Don't know what I'm asking for or looking for, just need to write something.............

Hope he/she pulls through...fingers crossed champ.

Thanks napapa, means so much.
    Heart is broken.

Sorry for taking the good vide away from this thread. I just needed to vent my disappointment somewhere.
    Best of luck to all you up and coming dads. Just remember how lucky you are as I would give everything to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dexter50

DUBACC wrote: »

Its absolutely amazing Dubacc.. My wife and I had our baby son born on the 01dec10 and it was the most amazing feeling of my life.. seeing the baby and hearing the cry will stick with me forever, its hard to find words to describe it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Baby is now 2 days late !!!

Taking after me already it seems !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Felt my baby move for first time today.
    I'm still buzzing after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

amiable wrote: »
    Felt my baby move for first time today.
    I'm still buzzing after it.

I remember that well :) Scoot forward a few months and Im typing verrrry quietly because I just got her asleep :D

I feel like I've scored the try that wins the 6 nations and I can't even celebrate.. far too noisy lol

Trotter wrote: »
    I remember that well :) Scoot forward a few months and Im typing verrrry quietly because I just got her asleep :D

I feel like I've scored the try that wins the 6 nations and I can't even celebrate.. far too noisy lol
    I should have said this is our 3rd.
    I've a 17month old teething badly at the moment :(
    But its all worth it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

amiable wrote: »
    I've a 17month old teething badly at the moment :(

We're the same- with a 10 month old. Calgel is the only thing that seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

smcarrick is calgel the stuff you can only get up north? I remember you posting something about trips up north to buy something specific? I think we'll take a trip up if so. Also cathy posted a few months ago about a white noise machine and I'm too lazy/tired/distracted to do a search so could you post a link to what you bought? Our little man seems to be unsettled in the early hours so I'll try anything to settle him. Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

smcarrick is calgel the stuff you can only get up north? I remember you posting something about trips up north to buy something specific? I think we'll take a trip up if so. Also cathy posted a few months ago about a white noise machine and I'm too lazy/tired/distracted to do a search so could you post a link to what you bought? Our little man seems to be unsettled in the early hours so I'll try anything to settle him. Thanks!

You can get Calgel online now- saves the trip up north- www.asda-pharmacy.co.uk or www.pharmacy2u.co.uk will ship it here. Its a topical anaesthetic (lidocaine) and it does work- but it doesn't work for very long. You can apply it every 20 minutes- up to 6 times in any 24 hour period. Its good- but it doesn't last very long.

The white noise machine we got is a Prince Lionheart slumber bear link here Mothercare and Mammas and Pappas have them- price around EUR40 (ish).

We've found a blue nightlight even more helpful than a whitenoise machine to be perfectly honest.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Little bundle of joy arrived on the 19th in a dramatic emergency section. Little rip had a pneumothorex so spent a few days in the ICU unit but is home now and doing well.

Need sleep!

Can't say enough about the level of care received in Holles Street and how nice all of the nurses and midwives were.

We've said we aren't going to spoil her... but it's going to be tough not to!

Can i just say - thanks to all who post in this thread. I've picked up so many tips and info' on all manner of baby-related things! The mrs will be wondering if already have kids with someone else i'll have picked up so much. :P

Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Hope things are ok. We have had numerous miscarriages but my wife is now pregnant on our third. It is hard to keep your mind off worrying but hang tight.

homolumo wrote: »
    Hope things are ok. We have had numerous miscarriages but my wife is now pregnant on our third. It is hard to keep your mind off worrying but hang tight.

The baby didn't make it. No heartbeat at the 2nd scan. My wife than had to go through a d&c. Both devastated.
    I hope its third time lucky.

• Advertisement

The baby didn't make it. No heartbeat at the 2nd scan. My wife than had to go through a d&c. Both devastated.
    My heart totally goes out to you my friend.
    I don't know what to type.
    Stay strong. If only i could help some more

So sorry to read of your loss mate. Am thinking of you at this time. Take your time to grieve and hopefully you'll both be stronger for it.

This news puts everything into perspective.

Thank you all for your support.

Just a note for anybody who knows a friend going thru' the same as me.
    Just say your sorry for the bad news.

Never never never say to them 'its Gods will'

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napoleon111

Hi all, i'm new here (first post!). some of the previous posts here have been a massive help for me. I'm 23 and I split from my girlfriend of 4 years (on and off so maybe 3 years altogether) about 4 weeks ago. I found out yesterday that shes 6 weeks pregnant. To be honest I dont know what I feel, happy? yes, sad? yes, scared? most definitely! I always said I would love to have kids at some stage, but not now, and not like this. The fantasy was always that it would be a "perfectly normal family" lol! However, I am now worried about how we, as young adults (the mother of my baby is 25) are going to cope with a child, whether we should get back together just for the baby? How is it going to work out? Theres so many question that i dont know the answers too, but what I have found out is that fathers have very little rights, what if she decides to up and move home (she is Slovakian, but has been living in ireland for about 5 years).
    Anxious and worry dont cut it, i'm actually petrified...Maybe I am over reacting, sometime when I calm down and think about it, I know its not the end of the world, I know there are loads of people, even younger and less well of than I am that have kids and seem to cope ok...
    What am i really looking for?
    Well, the question I have for all you fathers out there, is, is it as bad as I think its going to be? Is it going to be as hard as I fear its going to be?
    Its a long way off, but fingers crossed he/she pops out ok, and I am looking forward to having a little son or daughter, someone I can love and do the best for, but what have I really got myself into?
    Thanks in advance for any replies!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Better start browsing round here now. Mrs Beertons had her 13 week check up and scan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

week 37 today.
    Pants = briked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

what's briked? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hi everybody, new here 1st post in this thread, my gf found out today she's pregnant.

We have been trying for the past 2 months or so , so pretty quick.

I have gone through a rollercoaster of emotions today, joy when I am with her, but alone I get scared and really sad !! - I have this fear of not being a good father, or that I wont bond with the baby, my brother has 2 kids - 3 and 6 months, we looked after them over the christmas for one afternoon and I love the 3 year old he's got a great little personality of his own - but the 6 mth old I just found it hard to "get on" with ?
    I just didn't know how to handle him ?? - will this be different with my own ??

Do i just need to make an effort ??

I should be more positive, I tend to worry and be pessimistic ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi everybody, new here 1st post in this thread, my gf found out today she's pregnant.

We have been trying for the past 2 months or so , so pretty quick.

I have gone through a rollercoaster of emotions today, joy when I am with her, but alone I get scared and really sad !! - I have this fear of not being a good father, or that I wont bond with the baby, my brother has 2 kids - 3 and 6 months, we looked after them over the christmas for one afternoon and I love the 3 year old he's got a great little personality of his own - but the 6 mth old I just found it hard to "get on" with ?
    I just didn't know how to handle him ?? - will this be different with my own ??

Do i just need to make an effort ??

I should be more positive, I tend to worry and be pessimistic ....

Relax :) Nobody expects you to be immediately best buddies with this bundle that poos and screams and depends on you for everything. In reality it takes time for you to bond and accept the little one into your own life. I reckon the bond is there from day 1 but the confusion and total change to deal with masks it for the first little while. Its there under the surface and the bond grows and grows. Being honest, I felt frightened of our little one at first. Gradually, old normal was replaced by a new normal.. so you'll still feel normal! He/She will find a comfy spot to sleep on your chest when you sit low on the couch watching tv.. and you'll start to say.. hey.. give me the child and he/she can sleep here for a little bit.. and they will!.. and all of a sudden, you'll realise that Daddy has his uses. He/She will get fed, have naps, and within 6 or 8 weeks will start smiling when they see you. Its really not that hard to impress them, and by then you'll feel like you're not doing a bad ol job at all.

Advertisement