Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

walshb wrote: »
    This example is probably a bit too pedantic, but using it's when you are writing
    about ones possessions; as in, it's coat, it's house etc

It should be, its coat, its house

The whole misuse and non-existence of apostrophes bugs me

Kinda wondering what you were at.

It's= if it does not mean "it is" or "it has" then it's its.

Eg. the cat caught its tail in the door??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kinda wondering what you were at.

It's= if it does not mean "it is" or "it has" then it's its.

Eg. the cat caught its tail in the door??

Yes, that's correct. Possessive "its" does not take an apostrophe. It's = it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

for a good spell as a kid i had trouble with the word begining. beginning. beggining... crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I hear they have these spellchecker things now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FF is being moody though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dinter wrote: »
    I'm weary of people misspelling wary.

I'm wary of people misspelling weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

micmclo wrote: »
    Stupid me, but I don't know how many litres in a gallon
    4.546 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Honey-ec wrote: »

People thinking that every single word that ends in "s" requires an apostrophe before it.
    Yes, yes, YES!

:mad:

I hate when people use "I" wrongly at the end of a sentence.

eg. "I bought a drink for John & I."

It should be "I bought a drink for John & me" - you wouldn't say "I bought a drink for I."

It's usually people who think their grammar is perfect who say that, and it wrecks my ****ing head!!! :mad:

That has to be THE most annoying grammatical error.
    Simply because no grammar mistake comes so loaded with that odious combination of ignorance and pomposity.

Most grammar mistakes are uncontrived whereas that one is anything but and makes the user sound like a pretentious fool.
    Makes me shudder every time i hear it.

Even though clowns using illicit when they mean elicit runs it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just thought of another two. "affect" and "effect", and "borrow" and lend".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Terry wrote: »
    Not the Americanisation.

But mistaken spelling is far less of a crime, in my eyes, than carelessness. I don't care if they give it the American spelling as long as they spell it the same way every single time - at least they're being somewhat consistent, and not completely retarded by spelling it a different way each time.

For example, I saw a van the other day which had "Bathrooms, Kitchens and Attic's" on it. Why the superfluous apostrophe in 'attics'? And if you think one goes in there, why don't you think it needs to go in 'bathrooms' and 'kitchens' as well? Why? WHY?! You didn't think at all, did you?! You just STUCK that apostrophe in there for the laugh - in fact, you did it just to annoy ME, didn't you?! DIDN'T YOU?!

*head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Fresh in the Grand Canal Dock has various signs all around the shop. All of the plurals are punctuated correctly until you get to the shelf with the "Soda's".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

walshb wrote: »
    What about Bertie and his, "All is I'll say."

Yes! And how he wanted his administration to emanate (emulate) the great administrations of the past, and how the minister of states (ministers of state) were discussing blah blah in Brussels.

Another one that bugs me is people using exceptable instead of acceptable: "I'd like cash, but if you don't have it a cheque is exceptable." Baffled. Does that mean you won't take a cheque?

Oh, and it's not always discreet, shelly.

Johnny was very discreet about **** in class as the teacher explained the difference between continuous and discrete distributions.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

"We played them last month and 'bet' them". :(

Noooooooooo. We won them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I'll learn you better grammar.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Oh, and it's not always discreet, shelly.

Johnny was very discreet about **** in class as the teacher explained the difference between continuous and discrete distributions.

:D

Yep, I know... that's why I said 'unless you're talking about phonolgy blah blah blah.' Twas merely en example to illustrate that 'discrete' is generally a technical mathematical/linguistic term, while discreet actually means discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

eh I don't think people got the point about the euro issue. The recommended forms of the plurals for materials intended for the general public are euros and cents. The 'euro' and 'cent' plurals are only for legislative documentation, such as the wording on the notes themselves.

The irish misinterpretation of this has it's own section here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

shellyboo wrote: »
    while discreet actually means discreet.

That clears that up then.

javaboy wrote: »
    That clears that up then.

Yup. Discreet actually being the word you're looking for in 99% of cases. Unless you're a mathematician or a speech therapist... in which case you'd probably know the difference anyway :p:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

I hate stupid treads:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yup. Discreet actually being the word you're looking for in 99% of cases. Unless you're a mathematician or a speech therapist... in which case you'd probably know the difference anyway :p:pac::D

Well discrete mathematics is part of my job but I try to be discreet about it. It doesn't exactly ignite conversation at a party.
    But that's not the point. I was just amused at you using a circular definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Grammar and spelling Nazis unite! At last I feel that I belong. God bless you. God bless you all. (sniff)

It/It's/Its. Drives me spare.

javaboy wrote: »
    Well discrete mathematics is part of my job but I try to be discreet about it. It doesn't exactly ignite conversation at a party.
    But that's not the point. I was just amused at you using a circular definition.

Yes, I enjoy them :D My favourite is "I-T-apostrophe-S means it is or it has. I-T-S means its." It's even more fun if you roll your eyes afterwards. :pac:

Oh, and btw: Has anyone seen Tesco's discounted "confectionary" promotion? There's 25% off badly-spelled sweets in your local supermarket NOW!

actually it's 30%

God.

All of the previous piddle me off. But especially You're & your, and there, their and there. Also, to & too - I've noticed lately that people do this alot. People not using commas, making paragraphs nonsensical. And the apostrophe thing, grrrr. Like seriously, we've been learning English for about 14 years, were you not paying attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Come back next month for their stationary sale...

No need to hurry though - it's not going anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

When people say quite instead of quiet.

I'm really effected by bad grammer myself- i really loose the head.
    I tell them you should of done this but there like...Its no big deal.

I'm always trying too illicit exactly why there like this
    -but tbh presently It remains a mystery to my fellow posters and i.
    Your never going too change them, its futile.

oh, my friend says - "how's we can"

Will you buy lights how's we can decorate the tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Newaglish wrote: »
    No need to hurry though - it's not going anywhere

Hoho. Very droll Prime Minister. Very droll.

• Advertisement

tech77 wrote: »
    I'm really effected by bad grammer myself- i really loose the head.
    I tell them you should of done this but there like...Its no big deal.

I'm always trying too illicit exactly why there like this
    -but tbh presently It remains a mystery to my fellow posters and i.
    Your never going too change them, its futile.

your so corect, there idiot's

Advertisement