Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

jdivision wrote: »
    This one is subject to debate because they are referred to as the licensing laws, hence off license.

I see what you mean, Noffla can't make up their mind!

http://www.noffla.ie/

On their home page, Latest News, they refer to Off Licenses and Off Licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I see what you mean, Noffla can't make up their mind!

http://www.noffla.ie/

On their home page they refer to Off Licenses and Off Licences.

OMG, the very people that always make me have to look it up! Effing Noffla. Decide which one you're going to use!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

jdivision wrote: »
    Hope you're being sarcastic!!

Its, it's and its'

Aha see what you did there....

Jay Division, you'll never cease to impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

pierrot wrote: »
    100 PEOPLE WERE EVACUATED says the headline. I expect the picture to show crap everywhere, but I then realise that it was in fact the building, and not the people who were evacuated.

That would be 100 people evacuated (their bowels), or 100 bowels were evacuated. I think.

Can Flutt provide a precise definition? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

stovelid wrote: »
    That would be 100 people evacuated (their bowels), or 100 bowels were evacuated. I think.

100 people were evacuated would infer that the people were subject to colonic irrigations imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Could get technical, this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Smart Bug wrote: »
    100 people were evacuated would infer that the people were subject to colonic irrigations imo.

Sure. It should be 100 people were evacuated from the building?

I was pondering the scatological bit though :pac:

the amount produced by the evacuation of 100 people would be something to behold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hco

Does be or do be

I do be freezing
    It does be packed

I cry...
    Where did this even come from? People! Where?!

the amount produced by the evacuation of 100 people would be something to behold

You can evacuate people from something... the headline is merely omitting where they were evacuated from. Yes, the building was evacuated... but the people were also evacuated from the building.

You'd never say 'I evacuated' to mean you emptied your bowels. When you evacuate you evacuate something (your bowels or a building), or you are evacuated from somewhere. It's a transitive verb, it requires one or more objects. In this case, the object was omitted, but it's still implicit.

(OMG, cannot believe I can remember things from my syntax class in college :D)

EDIT: The word evacuate has lost all meaning. And I have lost all sense of perspective.

• Advertisement

hco wrote: »
    Does be or do be

I do be freezing
    It does be packed

I cry...

comes from the present continuous form that appears only in Irish i think. Like bim or taim, i do be, to distinguish between present cont. and a more regular, daily action

comes from the present continuous form that appears only in Irish i think. Like bim or taim, i do be, to distinguish between present cont. and a more regular, daily action

Yeah, I think so too... can't remember the proper form in Irish, but it's basically a leftover from that. Lots of little quirks like that in Hiberno English.

shellyboo wrote: »
    Yeah, I think so too... can't remember the proper form in Irish, but it's basically a leftover from that. Lots of little quirks like that in Hiberno English.

You're right, so you are.

How about most loved grammatical errors? I'm class, amn't I!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Nobody has picked up on this one yet. Using euros and cents as plurals.

E.g. 14 euros and 23 cents when of course it should be 14 euro 23 cent.

Drives me up the fcuking wall that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

hco wrote: »
    Does be or do be

I do be freezing
    It does be packed

I cry...

I blame these guys http://www.doobiebrothers.net/

Another pet hate is "Call in our yiz are way back" Translation: "Call in on your way back"

People when calling out an old registration used to say H aZed J 056 instead of HZJ 056, usually a Garda on Garda Patrol. (The aZoo also springs to mind)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hmmm...

People saying "You have two choices" when they should say "You have two options"

American spelling- using z instead of s, leaving out the u in words like colour, spelling centre center.

This is just a Cork one I think, but when somebody uses the word "with" instead of "for"-as in "They've been together with two years/I've been here with ages!"

Using critique as a verb.

But my grammar can be atrocious, I say things like "I seen, I done", terrible habit cultivated because it annoyed my friend so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Saying 'then' instead of 'than' is a big peeve for me.

Also, the use of the word 'An,' or should I say misuse

As in, "It was an historic triumph," or "It was an historic day." Incorrect in both cases. The letter or word 'A' or 'a' should be used here

An is only used before words that begin with a vowel SOUND.

Not necessarily juST a vowel WORD, it must be before a word beginning with a vowel sound

Also, using a lower case i as a single word. "It is i who stole the milk."
    A small i should only be used as a letter in a word; on its own it is always a capital I

I blame these guys http://www.doobiebrothers.net/

Another pet hate is "Call in our yiz are way back" Translation: "Call in on your way back"

People when calling out an old registration used to say H aZed J 056 instead of HZJ 056, usually a Garda on Garda Patrol. (The aZoo also springs to mind)

I really fukkin hate that aZed pronunciation thing-a-ma-jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Tweeter wrote: »

Actually the euro/cent plural issue is a bit hairy:

"The European Commission Directorate-General for Translation's English Style Guide (A handbook for authors and translators in the European Commission) states: "Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital and, where appropriate, takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’): This book costs ten euros and fifty cents"

from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro

• Advertisement

I always pronounce Z as Zed. I don't think that is in any way incorrect; just a persons choice
    as to how to pronounce!

What about this one but:

Tremendous; how is it that some folks see a J in this word and pronounce
    it tree men jus?

Or the word Specific; when folks drop the S, it then is pronounced
    Pecific?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Do you mean when it's used as a conjunct? I always thought it was OK:

The cat, however, is an interesting animal.

However; the cat is an interesting animal.

I've picked up the habit of mostly using an Oxford comma before conjunctions, probably because of work. I always thought it was a matter of preference/locale, rather than incorrect grammar?
    It's an irony that people don't seem to have picked up on the fact that I was being super-pedantic about grammatical small-fries. I picked it up last year in college when we had a couple of classes devoted solely to the most irrelevant but very common grammatical 'errors'. I generally try to stick to whatever rules I can remember but sometimes habit gets the better of me.

Personally, other people making mistakes doesn't bother me that much: once I can understand what they're saying (or trying to say), I don't mind. It really bugs me when I make blindingly obvious mistakes.

There's also a rule on the internet (and probably elsewhere) that where you correct someone else's spelling or grammar, your post is bound to contain spelling and/or grammar errors.

Tweeter wrote: »

alb wrote: »

"The European Commission Directorate-General for Translation's English Style Guide (A handbook for authors and translators in the European Commission) states: "Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital and, where appropriate, takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’): This book costs ten euros and fifty cents"

from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro

The misuse of 'euros' bugs me, but by the same token, it baffles me why someone would INSERT an irregular plural into a language in this day and effing age. People have enough trouble learning English without the EU trying to confuse us all for the sake of uniformity across Europe.
    I

I'd always thought that was 'yisser', as in the possessive of the colloquial collective pronoun 'yis'... so, you (plural) = yis; your (plural) = yisser.

I know it's still not proper English, but it makes some vague sense, even though it is slang! Something similar in ye/ye're.

alb wrote: »

I know, I rarely have plural Euro anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I hate when people say 'nut' or 'O' instead of ZERO!!!!!!

There's also a rule on the internet (and probably elsewhere) that where you correct someone else's spelling or grammar, your post is bound to contain spelling and/or grammar errors.

Murphy's Law :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

It's not a plain old grammatical error but the one that really drives me mad is the "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

"I could care less" makes no sense in the context it is used. It broke my heart when Toby in the West Wing used it :( he was supposed to be a speech writer for the president ffs!

Someone has written about it here. There's a related issue with "cheap at twice the price" turning into "Cheap at half the price".

The really horrible thing is that if enough people get something wrong for long enough it is likely to become accepted. Language is always changing, so just wait for the day when your favourite error is officially part of the language :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I got it off her

instead of

I got it from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Haven't read the whole topic (there has to be an acronym for that) but whats with people using "teh" is it on purpose?

• Advertisement

What about Bertie and his, "All is I'll say."

Advertisement