Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

If only we could teach everyone to speak perfect english!

I wonder if people can enrol in classes to improve their use of the English language-verbal and written.

I would definitely enrol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

lose/loose

Makes me want to kick them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

"seperately" :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There are some I keep seeing on here that really irk me.

People using "teh" for "the", I mean it's the easiest word to spell, get it right.
    Misspelling words ending in "y" with an "eh", e.g. Fluffeh
    "All your Xs are belong to us." - What does it even mean? It's the most poorly constructed sentence I've had the misfortune to read.
    "Pwnd" for owned, a typo and a spelling error all in one, how horrific.

It's just bloody terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I should of been writin this thread sooner then now, i hadnt of seen this level off responce from you're prespectives'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Smart Bug wrote: »
    I should of been writin this thread sooner then now, i hadnt of seen this level off responce from you're prespectives'.

It's your!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

this one irks me no end:

Schedule/Scheduled.

Everyone I work with, and everyone on TV including RTE pronounce it like skedule. It drives me nuts.

I have interrupted friends and said "No, it is shed-yule", and they go "Oh no it is not! It is Sked-yule! Sharon Ni Bholain says it that way".

I want to hit people when I hear it.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There are some I keep seeing on here that really irk me.

People using "teh" for "the", I mean it's the easiest word to spell, get it right.
    "All your Xs are belong to us." - What does it even mean? It's the most poorly constructed sentence I've had the misfortune to read.

They aren't errors. They're memes. Learn to meme.

Kold wrote: »
    They aren't errors. They're memes. Learn to meme.

You don't say! Gosh, there was me thinking they were terrible spelling errors, thanks for educating me!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

You fail at teh Interwebz.

• Advertisement

I no you folk missed this one.

I no you folk missed this one.

Gah! That one's awful.

Also, preform. No... the word you are looking for is 'perform'.

Ooh, you know what I really, REALLY hate?! I work for a magazine, so when I send ad clients back over their edited copy for approval and they "correct" my spelling and grammar back to being wrong...

*blood boiling at the very thought*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I hate when 'an' is used before a word starting with a hard H.

"I ate an herring for my dinner. It was of the yum."

Makes you sound like a cockney :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Getting the spellings mixed up on wheather, weather. I don't care when others do it but can't stand it when i make the cock up.

shellyboo wrote: »
    Makes you sound like a cockney :)

"I ate an 'erring for me dinneh. Twere of the yum, arrrrrrr."

* I don't know why 'arrrrrrr' is in there, it just 'feels' right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Now that one made me laugh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Councilling instead of counselling!
    As well is two words as is a lot.The amount of times I see them run into each other is unbelievable.
    Saw a sign on a PC in a call centre. " This computer is broke" GRHHHH.
    I couldn't look at it and changed it like the grammar Nazi that I am. Myself and a friend used to have great times running highlighters through the drivel that passed for memos from team leaders. Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Myself and a friend used to have great times running highlighters through the drivel that passed for memos from team leaders. Happy days!

Yellow or pink highlighter? I'm guessing pink for that added zealous tone of disapproval.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I hate when people use 'however' as a conjunction. It's not a forking conjunction. Using commas with conjunctions also gets my goat.

I also hate when people don't properly qualify their sentences and misuse ';' and ':'.

There's also that irritating habit some people have of misplacing apostrophes, as in, 'you should'nt have...' etc. but worse than that is when people capitalise after abbreviations and don't use elipses properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Ok in no particular order of annoyance:

How many times have you seen signs saying Off License instead of Off Licence? Try the Coach House in Ballinteer, huge letters above the door of their Off 'License' (sic)

People making words that are plural singular for some strange reason, eg, it is 6 mile down the road, and them's a lovely trouser! ffs

Using 'anymore' out of context, eg anymore if you do that I'll break your face!

Also using 'leave' instead of 'let' eg, I asked the bouncer to leave us in free!!

Text speak, lol, omg, random and other banal nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

It's means it is. Its means its.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I hate when people use 'however' as a conjunction. It's not a forking conjunction. Using commas with conjunctions also gets my goat.

Hate that, too! The company I work for use American spelling rules, so we're forced to use commas before 'and' - it's so annoying.

I really can't stand incorrect spelling just to look cool, for example, 'Beanz', 'Kidz', and so on. Makes me want to scream.

(also a self-confessed grammar Nazi...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Wagon wrote: »
    Getting the spellings mixed up on wheather, weather. I don't care when others do it but can't stand it when i make the cock up.

Hope you're being sarcastic!!

Its, it's and its'

"I ate an 'erring for me dinneh. Twere of the yum, arrrrrrr."

* I don't know why 'arrrrrrr' is in there, it just 'feels' right.

Now you just sound like a pirate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Ok in no particular order of annoyance:

How many times have you seen signs saying Off License instead of Off Licence? Try the Coach House in Ballinteer, huge letters above the door of their Off 'License' (sic)
    This one is subject to debate because they are referred to as the licensing laws, hence off license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hate when people use 'however' as a conjunction. It's not a forking conjunction.

Do you mean when it's used as a conjunct? I always thought it was OK:

The cat, however, is an interesting animal.
    Using commas with conjunctions also gets my goat.

I've picked up the habit of mostly using an Oxford comma before conjunctions, probably because of work. I always thought it was a matter of preference/locale, rather than incorrect grammar?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

100 PEOPLE WERE EVACUATED says the headline. I expect the picture to show crap everywhere, but I then realise that it was in fact the building, and not the people who were evacuated.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    This one is subject to debate because they are referred to as the licensing laws, hence off license.

Nope. You can spell it either way. Licence is the British spelling, license is the US. You can use licencing just the same as licensing.

These are the things we have conversations about in our office. Took us half an hour to work that one out.

EDIT: Also, its' is not a word. There is no possessive apostrophe on its. Exception to the rule. It's or its. That's it :P

Advertisement