Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

c-note wrote: »

anyway one of my most hated is

"he was sat beside me"

past perfect, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

fionnmar wrote: »
    When people refer to the 'first criteria' or 'second criteria' we need to meet. The singular of criteria is criterion. Drives me mad.
    Yeah, there's an ad on TV that talks about how "just one bacteria can blah blah blah".

The singular of 'bacteria' is 'bacterium' you tards. It angers me every time I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

May have been mentioned already - quiet instead of quite and vice versa. Actually, now that I think of it I can't stand when people say vic-a versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There are two:

"I done"
    "I seen"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Eagle Star used to have an ad that said ''There IS pensions and the IS Eagle Star pensions''....
    It ran for ages before 'is' was changed to 'are'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yes, javaboy, "could be"...

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Another one:

"None of these children are wearing shoes."

Grrrrr.

Thanks goes to the first one to spot and correct the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

^ who are *these* children? shouldn't it be those?

None of these children IS ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭ciaran76

People who say foot pad. That wrecks my head.

ciaran76 wrote: »

LOL - you robbed my post!!!

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    It just confuses me. Utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

obl wrote: »

None of these children is wearing shoes?

edit: I shouldn't have thought about it for so long :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    A friend of mine who is also on boards does this all the time. And what's worse is I've told him he's got it wrong and even taken the piss out of him for it but he continues to do it. I should be allowed to kill people

Edit: I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with a conjunction so don't bother pointing it out :P
    Some people can't help these things ! Just look down on them and pass judgement like you would with any random person, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Whew read to the end and don't see that anyone posted my least favourite. the misuse of complimentary and complementary - you see it everywhere. Complementary meals on offer, complimentary product ranges...grrr

Random wrote: »
    Some people can't help these things ! Just look down on them and pass judgement like you would with any random person, and move on.

Naaa. A machete is the only thing for it

None of these children is wearing shoes?

edit: I shouldn't have thought about it for so long :D
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

people who pronounce weetabix with a non-silent, non-existent H
    "wheatabix"
    argh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Edit: I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with a conjunction so don't bother pointing it out :P

Not strictly true. It's acceptable to start a sentence with a conjunction, but it was just discouraged for a long time. It's an effective means of emphasis, if you don't overuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

aviendha wrote: »
    people who pronounce weetabix with a non-silent, non-existent H
    "wheatabix"
    argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

obl wrote: »
    Yes, javaboy, "could be"...

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Another one:

Grrrrr.

Thanks goes to the first one to spot and correct the error.

Child = singuar
    is = singular

children = plural
    are = plural

The child is running.
    The children are running.

The child is wearing shoes.
    The children are wearing shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

As a diagnosed dyslexic, I hate grammar Nazi's, condescending peasants and generally people with such small minds and bitter soul's that they feel compelled to haunt internet forums correcting people's spelling and grammar.

So long as the message is understood it is a valid message and communication has succeeded. Also linguistic bigotry sickens me, local colloquialisms are as valid form of language as any other.

Hellm0 wrote: »
    As a diagnosed dyslexic, I hate grammar Nazi's, condescending peasants and generally people with such small minds and bitter soul's that they feel compelled to haunt internet forums correcting people's spelling and grammar.

Damn right. While spelling and grammar mistakes irritate me at times, I don't feel compelled to point them out to someone unless they themselves are being a smartass about somebody else's grammar/spelling. The exception is deliberate crap like rtrd spk.
    Also linguistic bigotry sickens me, local colloquialisms are as valid form of language as any other.

+1. A lot of people seem to be under the illusion that the English language was found fully formed behind a radiator at what is now the offices of the Oxford English dictionary. It is not immutable. It has evolved over time and is still evolving.

Hellm0 wrote: »

So long as the message is understood it is a valid message and communication has succeeded. Also linguistic bigotry sickens me, local colloquialisms are as valid form of language as any other.

Yes, but if everyone had that attitude language would just deteriorate and deteriorate and there would be no standards to base anything on. Some sort of touchstone is needed.

And we are human, not apes. A grunt can succeed in getting a message across, but you wouldn't necessarily want the human race going around grunting at eachother...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

Potatoe and tomatoe.

mazcon wrote: »
    Potatoe and tomatoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

and their mistakes as well!
    but of i.e. have, never seen this one:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Yes, but if everyone had that attitude language would just deteriorate and deteriorate and there would be no standards to base anything on. Some sort of touchstone is needed.

Arguably, Human use of language (in a modern sense) has existed for at the least 40,000 years. There are currently around 6000 languages spoken on our planet.

Would you have us all speak the same one? Are all variations and changes to be considered "deterioration"? Who are you to be the judge?

I agree that in technical or documentation and even other circumstances good grammar is a must however, why go through the effort of correcting peoples posts on an internet messaging site? That's really just being anti social and a complete snob to be honest.

P.C. wrote: »
    Child = singuar
    is = singular

children = plural
    are = plural

The child is running.

here's an example from the wiki which is, as we all know, the last bastion of truth:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_of_These_Candidates
    None of These Candidates is a voting option for Nevada voters

Candidates is plural but it has "is" after it anyway.

An equivalent sentence would be "Not one of them is a voting option"

You wouldn't say "one of them are a voting option"

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

P.C. wrote: »
    Child = singuar
    is = singular

children = plural
    are = plural

The child is running.

Yes, but 'none' = 'not one'. Thus, 'not one [of these children] is wearing shoes'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I think ''footpad'' instead of ''footpath'' was quite a cock-up! :D

Advertisement