Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

1. Me and Consumpta went around the back of the bike shed for a shag

v

2. Consumpta and I went into town for a chinwag.

Grammatically, two is superior. Albeit with 'the ghey' content.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MPInferno

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

MPInferno wrote: »
    Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Let's try and keep sarcasm out of this thread folks...

Grrrr makes I mad :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Fizman wrote: »
    1. Me and Consumpta went around the back of the bike shed for a shag

v

2. Consumpta and I went into town for a chinwag.

Grammatically, two is superior. Albeit with 'the ghey' content.

Both are now deemed acceptable in terms of grammatical correctness..

1. This is 'Descriptive Grammar' which took over from prescriptive grammar (2) in the 20th century. This type is based on structuralism and the hierarchy of language. (morpheme-word-clause.. etc.)

2. This is 'Prescriptive Grammar' which was more in use in Victorian times. It was the ideal form prescribed by grammarians.

However grammar has since moved to 'Communicative Grammar' and now 'Corpus Linguistics'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I don't like new-age grammer (using 'me' in place of 'I', see above posts). They've just dumbed it down. Stupid reactionary philistines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

The changes have been made for ESL and EFL.

If you were to teach prescriptive grammer to ESL students they would never be able to speak fluently as the general populus uses descriptive grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Ones that stand out for me are the misuse of two/too/to, its/it's, them/those, advice/advise and the use of me in place of I. They are all easily avoided and whilst I wouldn't be too bothered hearing them in conversation they do grab my attention in the written word. Hate's a strong word though and I do think grammar has shifted from being presciptive to descriptive so I would be too bothered by it, though obviously if in a teaching environment I would make sure to correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I really hate when speakers say "pacifically" but mean "specifically".
    Also in Limerick the majority of speakers say "sangwiches"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Come back next month for their stationary sale...

Ever noticed that the same people who say "should of" invariably also say "kind have"?

In my local Tesco Store, the sign said 25% of all chocolates

• Advertisement
Advertisement