Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

shellyboo wrote: »
    Murphy's Law :D

Muphry's Law:

"if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Alarums wrote: »
    "Loose" instead of "lose". The amount of people who make that mistake is astonishing.

A friend of mine who is also on boards does this all the time. And what's worse is I've told him he's got it wrong and even taken the piss out of him for it but he continues to do it. I should be allowed to kill people

Edit: I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with a conjunction so don't bother pointing it out :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

However; the cat is an interesting animal.

Or:

I don't like dogs, however I like cats.

I misunderstood you, sorry.

Personally, other people making mistakes doesn't bother me that much: once I can understand what they're saying (or trying to say), I don't mind. It really bugs me when I make blindingly obvious mistakes.

Agreed. Text-speak irritates me, but if I can understand somebody, I don't really point out errors unless I'm trying to wind them up. I obviously make my own too, especially when posting quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mislead instead of misled; "He mislead the police," no, "He misled the police."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tweeter wrote: »
    Nobody has picked up on this one yet. Using euros and cents as plurals.

E.g. 14 euros and 23 cents when of course it should be 14 euro 23 cent.

Drives me up the fcuking wall that one.
    I always say "euros" and "cents". It's a little protest. I will not allow the EU to decide on my pronunciation.

I also use "kph" instead of the (IMO) retarded looking "km/h". It's another little protest which has been brought to my attention several times on motoring related forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"We played them last month and 'bet' them". :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Edit: I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with a conjunction so don't bother pointing it out :P

This is the thing though... there's a difference between contravening some of the prescriptive grammatical "rules" and not being able to use effing punctuation or the English language properly. (You obviously can!)

In college, I was taught that anything a native English speaker says is 'grammatical' in language terms, even if it's not in the Queen's English and conforming to arbitrary rules like the Oxford comma and 'don't start a sentence with a preposition'.

Good spelling, punctuation and grammar are there to aid understanding - so basically, I couldn't give a monkey's which word you start a sentence with (oh no! Split infinitive!) as long as I can understand it.

That's why niggles such as it's/its and they're/their/there annoy us so much, because they trip us up in the midst of a sentence and you have to go back and decipher them... whereas you'd never notice in a million years if there was an Oxford comma missing because it makes not one damn bit of difference to the meaning of the sentence.

Whee, rant! I heart this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

walshb wrote: »
    I always pronounce Z as Zed. I don't think that is in any way incorrect; just a persons choice
    as to how to pronounce!

We were annoyed at people putting an A before Zed, H aZed J...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Come back next month for their stationary sale...

quote]

Or Stationery or Stationry.... agghhhhhh

We were annoyed at people putting an A before Zed, H aZed J...

Aye, thar be the sooth. (I may have contracted piratitis unbeknownst to myself)

Think of it - spell something out in your head using aZed (forgive the un-intentional rhyme there). It sounds fucking bizarre. Be-eye-aZed-a-arrrr-arrrr-ee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I also use "kph" instead of the (IMO) retarded looking "km/h". It's another little protest which has been brought to my attention several times on motoring related forums.
    :D By me probably. I think that kph is the retarded form, since there's no such unit as the "k".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't like dogs, however I like cats.

I like turtles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

All of them friends, all of them.

Nothing roots out the chav or the skanger quicker than grammar.

One can dodge duck and dive many things, one can gain qualifications and such, one can drive the top of the range models,but ,at the end of the day,grammar will out you.

Thank God for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

I hate when people use "I" wrongly at the end of a sentence.

eg. "I bought a drink for John & I."

It should be "I bought a drink for John & me" - you wouldn't say "I bought a drink for I."

It's usually people who think their grammar is perfect who say that, and it wrecks my ****ing head!!! :mad:

And the whole 'could of' and 'should of' thing...when did that mistake come into popular speech? I don't ever remember that mistake being made while I was in school. A lot of people on here have said that they remember their teacher going over the correct usage of they/there/their -same here - but I don't ever remember a teacher explaining 'should of/have' to us.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It should be "I bought a drink for John & me" - you wouldn't say "I bought a drink for I."

It's usually people who think their grammar is perfect who say that, and it wrecks my ****ing head!!! :mad:

And the whole 'could of' and 'should of' thing...when did that mistake come into popular speech? I don't ever remember that mistake being made while I was in school. A lot of people on here have said that they remember their teacher going over the correct usage of they/there/their -same here - but I don't ever remember a teacher explaining 'should of/have' to us.
    You deserve to be put out by something so insignificant if you're miserly enough only to buy one drink between you and John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

You deserve to be put out by something so insignificant if you're miserly enough only to buy one drink between you and John.

This whole thread is about being put out by insignificant things!

And I got two straws...so it was fine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kold wrote: »
    I hate when 'an' is used before a word starting with a hard H.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58077357
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58064421
    :pac:

shellyboo wrote: »
    OMG, the very people that always make me have to look it up! Effing Noffla. Decide which one you're going to use!!
    Not the Americanisation.
    Alun wrote: »
    :D By me probably. I think that kph is the retarded form, since there's no such unit as the "k".
    Potassium?
    All of them friends, all of them.

Nothing roots out the chav or the skanger quicker than grammar.

One can dodge duck and dive many things, one can gain qualifications and such, one can drive the top of the range models,but ,at the end of the day,grammar will out you.

Thank God for that.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm half tempted to take up English teaching so I can drill that one into students' heads. Oh, and the been/being mistake. It's seriously p* me off at this stage - being lazy about pronouncing the "g" at the end of "being" is one thing, I do it myself, but converting it into a totally different word when writing ("been") is quite another.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

edit: oh wait no, should I say "been lazy about..." ?? ¬.¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I like turtles.

In a roman bath-house sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This example is probably a bit too pedantic, but using it's when you are writing
    about ones possessions; as in, it's coat, it's house etc

It should be, its coat, its house

The whole misuse and non-existence of apostrophes bugs me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

euros instead of euro
    Now say it in your best Moore St hawkers accent!

It's not incorrect but I don't understand mpg.
    We buy fuel by the litre, well most of us are adjusted to kilometres. And nobody buys fuel by the gallon but it's used
    Stupid me, but I don't know how many litres in a gallon and then a US gallon is different again
    But it'll be here for another few decades

micmclo wrote: »
    euros instead of euro

Now say it in your best Moore St hawkers accent!

Strawbrerries!! 2 for 4 yew-ro-is!!

walshb wrote: »
    This example is probably a bit too pedantic, but using it's when you are writing
    about ones possessions; as in, it's coat, it's house etc

It should be, its coat, its house

The whole misuse and non-existence of apostrophes bugs me

examples ??

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

10 tomato's for a pound

That's a plural not a possessive

actually i prefer 10 tomatoe's for a pound. I've seen various incarnations of the tomato shambles in different butcher shops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I can't stand the so called 'soft t', i.e. when people pronounce Saturday 'Saherday' or Natalie 'Nahalie'. One of the weathermen on RTE always does it, grinds my gears!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I hate when people use "presently" when they should say "currently".

Like, "I'm presently in the hospital". Presently means "in the near future", like "I'll be in the hospital presently".

Grr....:mad::mad::mad: Even my LC English teacher got this wrong.

• Advertisement

I hate when people use "presently" when they should say "currently".

Like, "I'm presently in the hospital". Presently means "in the near future", like "I'll be in the hospital presently".

Grr....:mad::mad::mad: Even my LC English teacher got this wrong.

I love it, another one to look out for.

Advertisement