Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 5D MkII has arrived!!!!

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Vimeo would be a better bet to host the videos

jpfahy wrote: »
    Where's the option to set quality, Uploaded that clip to youtube and it looks s***e:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSi7BX31Lg

edit: I see the quality link , but it doesn't improve it much!

The AF on the 5dmk2 wont blow you away, I would describe the original 5d as ok for low light but I wouldnt depend on it. I believe the AF on the mk2 is the same as the original. It is better than the wretched 40d though :) which only looks better because you are putting twice the frames through it...
    Solyad wrote: »
    Any of you guys find any AF issues like this

http://www.afashionshooter.com/2008/12/20/5d2-af-in-dim-light/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

From what I've read the AF is a wee bit better on the 5DII than the 5D....
    Gotta say the only thing I don't like about it is the shutter noise, tis wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

brought my 5DII out for it's first real run last night at a big music event <Snip>. It's so good to use a camera with a proper viewfinder again. It makes it almost impossible to go back to the cropped viewfinder of a 20/30/40/50D

The huge LCD and it's quality was great for reviewing photos. And I love the auto iso option.

I can't post pictures here but I'll post a link when they're up if anyones interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Borderfox wrote: »
    The AF on the 5dmk2 wont blow you away, I would describe the original 5d as ok for low light but I wouldnt depend on it. I believe the AF on the mk2 is the same as the original. It is better than the wretched 40d though :) which only looks better because you are putting twice the frames through it...

I have read the 50D even has a more advanced AF system with all 9 points on it being cross types. The 5D MKII only has a single cross type af point - the center one.

It seems to be the one area Canon are getting a hammering on in reviews

I know they didnt want to take too much from the 1Ds but its one area the D700 has a nice advantage (I'm so keen to mess with the video function though, don't know if I could buy the D700 now)

• Advertisement

Even if they had given the 5dmk2 the same af layout as the one series that would be better but you can still use the af assist points surrounding the centre point for increased accuarcy. It would definitely something that Nikon folks get better than Canon

While unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy right now, play have some in stock (euro prices are way off the sterling prices though. No where near the exchange rate)

I've also seen some on warehouseexpress

I wonder is demand finally balancing out a little or is it just a christmas week lull

I was looking for someway to contact play.com (bar ringing) - its impossible to email them it seems.
    Anyway I'd love to know how they can justify

£2499 for the kit (€2659 converted)
    Or for the privilige of ordering from Ireland €3500 !!! Even galway camera store was cheaper at €3200 (and someone bought that as its gone from the window)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Mine shipped today from digitalwonderworld.de, mixed reaction, great it's on the way, crap if I have to be here next week in case it arrives.

democrates wrote: »
    Mine shipped today from digitalwonderworld.de, mixed reaction, great it's on the way, crap if I have to be here next week in case it arrives.

Nice one... theres only a few days next week when there will be deliveries anyway, plus you can track online and see when its arriving.

You could probably also ring the depot and ask them to hold it if you arent around for a day or 2

Prices are starting to drop.
    Dabs are now £1599 body only

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

@solyad play.com won't ship electronic goods to Ireland, plus don't forget you could still get caught for VAT/Duty on anything you buy from them so you would need to allow for an extra 20-30% or so.

• Advertisement

ttcomet wrote: »
    @solyad play.com won't ship electronic goods to Ireland, plus don't forget you could still get caught for VAT/Duty on anything you buy from them so you would need to allow for an extra 20-30% or so.

I wouldnt give them the business at that price anyway!

Been keeping on eye on the sites of a few smaller retailers online.
    I know dabs are cheap but they do the magic euro price upgrade as well so I wouldn't order from them either.

However because they are reducing prices, it'll encourage others to do so as well who don't increase because of the euro - if Calumet in belfast came down it would nearly be worth a trek up in the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

www.dabs.ie

5D2 (body) for €2011 including postage.

Tempting!

Advertisement