Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 5D MkII has arrived!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I'm hearing reports that the high ISO on the 5D11 is no better than the 5D1, in the range where you can compare.

Any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd disagree - 6400 looks like about 1600 on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Covey wrote: »
    I'm hearing reports that the high ISO on the 5D11 is no better than the 5D1, in the range where you can compare.

Any comments?
    From Camera Labs
    "With the sensitivity increased to 800 ISO, this texture on the original 5D and Sony A900 images becomes more obvious, with greater evidence of chroma noise. Alongside, the new 5D Mark II still looks smooth and clean, although there’s a very faint texture appearing in flat areas.

At 1600 ISO, the original 5D’s chroma noise is now becoming quite apparent when viewed at 100%, and the A900's noise has become quite blotchy. The new 5D Mark II is also exhibiting some noise textures now, but it remains a cleaner, preferable result. The Sony's really beginning to suffer at this point.

At 3200 ISO, the upper limit for the original 5D, the old model is suffering from quite visible chroma noise, which the new 5D Mark II is managing to avoid. There may be increased noise and softening on the 5D Mark II sample, but few would prefer the original 5D’s version. Meanwhile the Sony A900 is having problems: the chroma noise has become very blotchy with a noticeable loss of detail and there's also red hot pixels in darker areas of the image which the Mark II is managing to avoid. "
    Also...
    http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-16920-Akiba+Interactive+Review:+5D+vs.+5D+Mark+II.html

http://www.thedigitalnewsroom.com/en/News/1959/Camera_Review_Canon_EOS_5D_vs_5D_MKII.htm

Can't find the one that I wanted from DPreview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Gonna try and finally get this off Al,
    sick of waiting for my store here ...

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Do you think I could use f/4 at a gig with 3200 and/or 6400.
    Pub type sized gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Do you think I could use f/4 at a gig with 3200 and/or 6400.
    Pub type sized gig.
    I'm interested in this too. So ok it'll depend on the lighting, have you a shot with no flash from a gig with similar lighting that was exposed ok? Based on that we can calc a usable EV, and know what choices to make for ss/ap/iso.
    I see a spreadsheet in my future - Edit: an online ready-reckoner might be in order, I'm guessing if I google I'll find one, will revert on this.
    Here's one from Robert E Barrett but t only goes to iso1600
    Tables from Fred Parker go to iso3200

Ok according to the last link, "Night home interiors, average light. School or church auditoriums. Subjects lit by campfires or bonfires." is an EV of 5. If that's the same light level as the pub gig then his lookup table for F4 @ ISO 3200 indicates 1/60th, so if you go ISO6400 then 1/125th. Looks to me like you'd be in the ballpark for handheld results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Covey wrote: »

Any comments?

DXO thinks they are both about the same, and about a stop behind the D700.

Look at the 18% SNR.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

:eek:

I AM JEALOUS!!! HEHE!
    My 30D at 1600... ugh... Lets not talk about it. I want's a 5D MKII!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

is this fabled camera ever going to be available in any numbers? and when? ;)
    looks to be a v good spec anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I see www.dabs.com quote a body only price of £1836.98 - the best UK price I've seen. Yet, when one enters an Irish address for delivery it jumps to €2134.98. £1836.98 is equal to €1938 at the moment so Dabs are ripping off Irish customers to the tune of €196.

• Advertisement

Carrigman wrote: »
    I see www.dabs.com quote a body only price of £1836.98 - the best UK price I've seen. Yet, when one enters an Irish address for delivery it jumps to €2134.98. £1836.98 is equal to €1938 at the moment so Dabs are ripping off Irish customers to the tune of €196.

Tis better than the 2800€ (body) I was quoted in a Irish store... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

What are people paying for the 5dMK11. Mine cost €2,500 in Drogheda.

Not bad.

€2,263 from digitalwonderworld.de, still no shipping date though and there's the risk of damage in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

€2350 in Gunnes in Dublin

I GOT IT !!!! IT'S MINE AT LAST !!!!!

€2325 in Jordi Bass Barcelona,

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cancelled the other reservation and got my €50 back ...

that price of €2049 was a sham..

edit -- not quite mine i only paid half yeterday cos of limits on my card ...

today at 5 will be mine ...

btw does the body pack include a memory card ?

No but it does with with a non UDMA extreme III, until you get a UDMA extreme IV that should tide you over for a few weeks anyway.

Got phone call and I worked it out I'll have mine in my hands before Jackdaw :p
    2350 euros.

Canon looking into the Black Dot problem

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10126868-39.html

Got phone call and I worked it out I'll have mine in my hands before Jackdaw :p
    2350 euros.

Hey , I can live with that !!! ;)

• Advertisement

In pub next door to Gunn's now charging the battery.
    Alas I've forgotten to bring a lens. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Now that is a sh*tter!!! ;):D

Use a beer mat.

The 5D Mark 11 , €2 Grand odd pinhole camera. :D;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Now that is a sh*tter!!! ;):D

What about the shutter?:D

A few hours and you're laffin, doubt I'll see mine 'til January at this stage. The whole thing is so tantric I think I'll give her a name when I finally get my hands on that elusive body. Actually that works well since I call the 70-200 'the beast', need names for the other lads, I'll stop typing now.

Home now and er found a lense :p
    Looking for an excuse to feck of back out...tested 50mm 1.4 which gotta say is very sexy at 2000 ISO, shuttersound sounds wierd to me coming form a crop frame, held the 40D and 5D mk II side by side and cannot tell the diff in size...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

>€2000 for a 5D MK II
    >€4 for a pint of the black stuff
    <€1 for a packet of peanuts
    Forgetting to bring a lens, PRICELESS !!! :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Got an email from Mark in ISS, they have BGE6 grips and spare batteries in stock. Collected mine this evening - kit complete at last.

wait till u see my photos in sin e at 6400 at this very moment.
    IQIs jawdropping..handheld but wow decking wow.
    If I sober up when I get home I will upload.any1 that knows sin e knows how dark it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

jpfahy wrote: »
    Got an email from Mark in ISS, they have BGE6 grips and spare batteries in stock. Collected mine this evening - kit complete at last.

Excellent - just don't ask them to service any of your gear tho!! :rolleyes: ;):D

Advertisement