Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 5D MkII has arrived!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The video off it is... really really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

/drool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

ttcomet wrote: »
    If you are bored you can see another Vincent Laforet video with the 5D2 here. The bit with the old man crying looks stunning.

Ok, so I hadn't been convinced about the value of video on a high end SLR, but i am now, wow:).

But I realise that this is the work of a skilled videographer and there's no way that I would be able to come anywhere close to that even with the equipment, no more than putting a 1D or D3 in the hands of someone who has no interest or skill in taking photographs would produce results.

Videography just requires practice, same as anything else really. I don't think Laforet has done much, if any, video before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Videography, is that a new term? That sounds interesting. Almost like the portrait films by Andy Warhol - he let his objects sitting in front the rolling camera and left the building. And the person got tired and eventually lost it's own role that they wanted to act in front of the camera.

I have to follow this term of videography. Sounds more than interesting, because I would be too lazy to create the whole films with script and lots of editing :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Videography just requires practice, same as anything else really. I don't think Laforet has done much, if any, video before.

Fair enough:), I'll cling to the hope that my complete inability to record any of the minor landmarks in dakar juniors life to date to video without it looking like reject clips for You've Been framed were down to lack of practice and not any inherent deficiency on my part!:pac:

Anyway, whether he's done it before or not, I reckon he's pretty good at it. And the point remains that the 5D2 has the capacity to be an awesome piece of kit in the right hands.

Videography's an old enough term, just like videographer - As in, wedding videographer.

And yes, he is quite good at it, though I'm pretty sure he had a few helping hands. It's conceptually mince though ;)

And yes, it has potential to be utterly fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Review of the 5d
    http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii---hands-on-review-3819-article.html

Link at the bottom to a video tour - then just for a shock check their prices...

Something seems way off on all their prices, not just the 5D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Solyad wrote: »
    Review of the 5d
    http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii---hands-on-review-3819-article.html

Link at the bottom to a video tour - then just for a shock check their prices...

Something seems way off on all their prices, not just the 5D

I wouldn't set much store by a retailer's review of a product they are trying to sell. I'm looking forward to the reviews on www.dpreview.com and the www.luminous-landscape.com.

There does appear to be something seriously amiss with their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

So are the bodies available in stores to buy or what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Nope, unless you got one from a prebook...
    Shops were woefully supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Carrigman wrote: »
    I wouldn't set much store by a retailer's review of a product they are trying to sell. I'm looking forward to the reviews on www.dpreview.com and the www.luminous-landscape.com.

There does appear to be something seriously amiss with their prices.
    There's a hands-on preview on dpreview in case anyone missed it.

Also the canon-usa page for it has a downloads tab including the instruction manual(pdf).

Nope, unless you got one from a prebook...
    Shops were woefully supplied.

I really think this is a marketting scam ... this is a pro slr camera .. €2k + ...

it's not exactly tickle me elmo we are talking about ...

apparently in some stores in the US you can just walk in and buy one ...

I could have ordered the kit last week ... some places are saying that if you haven't booked, you won't see it till April ... such bullshít !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

happens with a lot of things anyone mention nintendo wii? The Japanese seem to be masters of doing it.

I'm so jealous of you boardsies who are getting or have gotten this camera. Can't wait to see your results when you all get over that inital "ooh shiny new toy phase"

It will be at least 6-8 months before I can afford one :(

happens with a lot of things anyone mention nintendo wii? The Japanese seem to be masters of doing it.

I'm so jealous of you boardsies who are getting or have gotten this camera. Can't wait to see your results when you all get over that inital "ooh shiny new toy phase"

It will be at least 6-8 months before I can afford one :(

Well .. allthough I think it is a load of marketting hype bollox (I guarantee you if this was March 1st and not Dec 1st it would be easy to get one ) ... I'm a little worried ... doesn't seem to be available anywhere in Spain, they guy at my shop told me 2nd week of decemeber .. but im not so confident now ..

apparently they were telling everyone that ... even people who booked it back
    in early November....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Gunn's only got 1 in out of the 5 she ordered.
    I am #5 :rolleyes:

I was number 1 ... sorry :p

... but I did place my order weeks before the press release announcing the camera to be fair ...

Got mine Friday ... I do like it a lot ... taking it for a spin to Morocco in a few weeks ... will be sure to post a few pictures afterwards ... did a few shots over the weekend ... but I was busy and did not really get a good chance to play ...

One gripe ... not directed at Canon ... but Adobe ... they don't seem to have support for it in Lightroom ... even 2.1!!

... and you have to upgrade to CS4 in photoshop ...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Does anyone know when this camera will be generally available to just walk into a shop and buy it? Are we talking early next year or closer to next summer? From past experience, how long does it take for supply to meet demand with a new camera such as this?

latchiko wrote: »
    Does anyone know when this camera will be generally available to just walk into a shop and buy it? Are we talking early next year or closer to next summer? From past experience, how long does it take for supply to meet demand with a new camera such as this?

Based on demand so far, which is exceptionally high ... Canon expect that there will be a backlog that could extend all the way to July next year ... to be clear what Backlog means - you won't be able to walk in off the street and buy the camera but you will have to order it and wait for a few weeks ... I does NOT mean if you order now you will have to wait until July ...

The Gunns price for the camera was Eur€2,350 ... I think this is pretty impressive considering B&H of the street price (including NY state tax) is about Eur€2,320 ... finally we are getting to buy gear in Ireland!!!

I'd not wait too long ... as this price is very much due to current exchange rates ... of course the UK price will go down too due to the recent VAT changes... But I don't mind paying a little extra to buy in Ireland ... and I never have problems giving business to the Gunns ... they deserve it!

The word from digitalwonderworld.de is that they expect incoming units by Friday, and with the backlog are hoping that anyone who ordered before November should have delivery before x-mas. That suggests that the qty of units they will receive is not set in stone for the foreseeable.

In fairness there's a vast amount involved in such a high-tech launch from re-tooling the production line to qc, transport and logistics. The factory will only produce x units per day out of economic necessity so the only alternative to a backlog is to stockpile and say no one gets one until everyone can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

jackdaw wrote: »
    quoting deleted post

Yeah, I think you would know waaaay more than Leinsterman about the situation. He has absolutely no experience in this industry and knows very few people in the business :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think you would know waaaay more than Leinsterman about the situation. He has absolutely no experience in this industry and knows very few people in the business :rolleyes:

It's true:o ... I'm finally revealed for the charlatan that I am!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's true:o ... I'm finally revealed for the charlatan that I am!;)

Ah, but really, you already have your 5D MkII, and you just don't want others to buy one. You want to be one of the very few on boards to have them. :D So, you spread the rumours that people can't get them until July so that they won't even try to get theirs.

Paulw wrote: »
    Ah, but really, you already have your 5D MkII, and you just don't want others to buy one. You want to be one of the very few on boards to have them. :D So, you spread the rumours that people can't get them until July so that they won't even try to get theirs.

Got me ... :)

But seriously, in case my previous post is not clear: I go back to the definition of backlog - it is just an expectation that supply will exceed demand until July (and I forgot to add this information only applies to Ireland other markets may have demand exceeding supply quicker) ... this does not mean that you won't get one ... just may have to wait a few weeks is all ... it is always like this with a new hot product introduction ...

To be fair we do have a pretty nasty recession on at the moment - so I would say the quote from my industry source does not account for this (although I do like the comment of recession v depression in my flickr) ... so I seriously doubt the backlog will stretch to July myself ... just passing on the information ... no need to get all excited about it ... just take it or leave it..

Paulw wrote: »

Probably true actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

The Gunns price for the camera was Eur€2,350 ... I think this is pretty impressive

Agree. I bought my 5D there and intend getting my new one there too. Not for awhile though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Can some of the lucky bu**ers who have their mits on one post a couple of high iso shots (in proper low light), for a peek. I'm thinking of say 1600 -6400 not the turbo stuff:p.

Most high iso shots I've seen were bizarrly taken outside in daylight.

It's the only one reason I'd consider buying one.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Covey wrote: »
    Can some of the lucky bu**ers who have their mits on one post a couple of high iso shots (in proper low light), for a peek. I'm thinking of say 1600 -6400 not the turbo stuff:p.

Most high iso shots I've seen were bizarrly taken outside in daylight.

It's the only one reason I'd consider buying one.

T.

Yes, hurry up FFS. All talk and no action around here lately :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I was number 1 ... sorry :p

... but I did place my order weeks before the press release announcing the camera to be fair ...
    Hahahahahaha!!
    When I ordered mine back ages ago she said that the guy who ordered #1 had ordered basically the last century :p

Wonder if #2 is from these boards..... :D

The Canon 5D MK II has arrived ---- has it though ??

• Advertisement

jackdaw wrote: »
    The Canon 5D MK II has arrived ---- has it though ??
    Yeah, deafening silence when you'd expect an avalanche of shots. If this keeps up the first samples could be from people who bought online.

Advertisement