Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 5D MkII has arrived!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

democrates wrote: »
    Here get your own threads this is for the 5D Mark Deux.
    It's an outrage.

:D:D Mark Deux!!!

nice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Good Review

Damn it, i want it even more now!

I am so just waiting for that 1 phone call from Gunn's.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

A small bit of fuel for the fire.

Seen that last week, if you read it more in depth the Canon wins on a fair few.
    The iso testing I've seen in other tests have being one or the other......
    Remember the Canon is almost double the MP!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/205|0/(appareil2)/279|0/(appareil3)/176|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lol - just for fun I checked out the D40 against those cameras...got to say, if I'm happy with such a low ranking camera you guys should be at least 3.62x happier than me! ;)

True, in all honesty you'd never notice the difference unless you are one of those DPreview forum pixel peepers....funny thing is I'm hooked on that forum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ah we never meet on dpreview then (D40-90 forum for me :) )

• Advertisement

I read the D3/700 forum at times, I actually have no account at DPreview, I would be out of my depth there!
    They really do know their stuff, some of the pictures too are astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Just got an email from Calumet saying they have stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

jpfahy wrote: »
    Just got an email from Calumet saying they have stock

Gunnes are still over €100 cheaper than Calumet but don't yet have any more stock in

Phoned Calumet this morning and still 40 preorders not filled!

scam

Gunn's phoned meh, I was asleep, gist of the message was it should be shipping in 48 hours....

Worse case scenario Monday?
    If I get it friday I shall bring it to Sin E on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Gunn's phoned meh, I was asleep, gist of the message was it should be shipping in 48 hours....

*awaits test pics* :D

Might take one of Gucci running with a blue type top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Might take one of Gucci running with a blue type top?

Is that your dog?
    If so i'm sure it'll be 100% better than the "first photo you took" shot,as now you've got sharp L glass and a decent camera :D

hehe !!!

OK ignore that email i just sent ...

and ENJOY !!!!

Looks like ill have to wait till Jan 5th :(

well thats a big day in Spain bigger then Dec 25 ... so ... it'll be my 3 kings pressie....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I was over in hall cameras this afternoon and they asked me 3.5K for mk II :eek:

Not sure how much mine will be, Leinsterman paid €2350 I think but that was before the 0.5% VAT rise.
    Thing is it took so long that I was able to save the money and didn't have to borrow a cent!

More fuel.

Plenty of choice out there anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

MkI is mine already few hours. I am too tired to do anything with it (second 20 hours day in a row, 900 km driving in those days apart of my work).
    I love that camera. Love, love, love...
    Just to get some lenses, flash, remote, another HDD, learn to take pictures, learn how to set the camera, learn how to process pictures, learn, how to avoid typing useless posts on Boards... :pac:

nilhg wrote: »
    More fuel.

Plenty of choice out there anyway;)

Some of the replies...
    "Actually the idea of "photographic look" is no longer accepted as great IQ. This was proved in the recent Gadget Show in the UK were they blew up both film and a digital (D700) image to building size and showed that digital beats film in both detail and quality. The photographic or "film look" that old hands talk about is only percieved as superior than digital when in actual fact it is inferior. This is like watching an old classic 40s film on old reels and comparing it to a newly realesed blockbuster in HD TV, I know which is superior in real term but some like the nostalgia of film."

"I would be willing to bet that if you made 10 prints from each camera the author of the article would not be able to sort them into three piles coresponding to the camera the were shot from."

"However as you consider the 5DMkII compromises compared to the other two cameras, the answer becomes pretty clear. Yes, the Sony has slightly greater resolution than the 5DII--but hardly enough extra resolution that you could see the difference, except in extreme circumstances. Even then, I doubt that the difference would be visible without olympic class pixel peeping. But the 5DII has much greater resolution than the Nikon--to the degree that you can see it in many applications.

As for high ISO performance, the Sony is actually terrible. There is a huge difference between it and the 5DMKII. This is something you can see--easily in virtually every low light shot. On the other hand, I have really struggled to see much difference in sample shots comparing the 5DMKII and the D700. Some say Nikon has a slight edge. Sometimes I think I see that; sometimes I am not sure. It is that close.

So on those two points--resolution and noise--the 5DMKII is the clear winner; its compromises succeed better than those of the other two.

The only area where the 5DMKII seems to fall behind is AF performance. That seems to the result of a price compromise (or product positioning compromise to protect the 1DsMkIII).

So the bottom line: Canon has done very well in the positioning and execution with the 5DMkII."

"a900 noise starts becoming noticeable at ISO 400.
    according to all the reviews and me looking at sample images.

Paying over £1,500 for a camera means to me that I can use it handheld indoors at 1600 with buttery sharpness. The A900 is a failure here"

"Dpreview gave A900 IQ 8.5 which is lower than the 40D.

"Using HTP on Canon also protects highlights from blow out but increase mid tones and shadow noise by 1 stop. Likewise A900 would suffer more as ISO goes up. In short A900 has their version of HTP permanently switched on and compromise its high ISO ability but benefit low ISO DR. On the other hand 5DMk2 has the option of turning HTP on or off and benefit both high ISO and low ISO DR. "

"Dont forget D700 is only 12MP compared to 5DMk2 which is 21MP. Nikon controlled its high ISO noise by using strong NR that you cant switch off, again to some it is percieved as "film like" when actual fact NR had robbed D700 and D3 of much details. If you downsize 5DMk2 to 12MP and apply NR to match the details delivered by the Nikons the Canon could well be 2 to 3 stops better. Not forget sRAW1, that mode already uses pixel binning and chroma NR but actually cleaner at high ISO and still shows better details than the D3."

"Canon... He does not really like it. He does not like the images based on "feelings".

Sony... He really likes it but it has some missing features and it makes it very usable for a specific group.

Nikon... He thinks it is the cats meow and thinks that is what people should get.
    He is predictable.

From long ago....

"Nikon, meanwhile, with the introduction of its professional über-kamera the D2x, has shown its firm allegiance to the APS-size sensor that gives a 1.5X effective crop. Its digital "format" is uniform, from the entry-level D70 to the D2's (yes, there's the choice of a further crop with the D2x, but that doesn't count because the whole sensor is still 1.5X). Nikon has also quietly begun building up a collection of its DX lenses, made expressly for its digital format.

Not to beat around the bush: I firmly believe that what Nikon is doing will prove to be smarter in the long run.

The path Canon is taking gives it an advantage right now, because so many photographers want, or think they want, "full frame" (i.e., 35mm-sized) sensors, so they can use their old 35mm lenses on their DSLRs. I've opined before that this is "oldthink," and I still think so. What sensor development up till now has firmly demonstrated is that sensors are getting exponentially better as time passes. Right now, in my opinion, we're beginning to enter the stretch of time when the "enough is enough" influence will begin to kick in. That is, in five or six years, we're going to know approximately what the market demands in terms of ultimate pixel size from a DSLR-type camera. And we're also going to have a pretty good idea of what it doesn't demand."
    .... Mike Johnson "

Jeez I could go on....
    From the reading I've done each camera has their own strengths and each fanboy will point to them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Nice post there.

From what I've seen the Sony is horrible at high iso - seems they ramped up the MP and forgot about the quality.

So its definitely out.

But there only seems to be a hair between the D700 and the 5D MKII - so the only answer is to get both!

ok - back to reality
    Theres some bits of the D700 id love and some of the 5d... so its going to come down to compromises.

Think i need to get into a store and handle both....

[Snip] Loads of comments, some reasonable some idiotic. [/Snip]
    From long ago....

"Nikon, meanwhile, with the introduction of its professional über-kamera the D2x, has shown its firm allegiance to the APS-size sensor that gives a 1.5X effective crop. Its digital "format" is uniform, from the entry-level D70 to the D2's (yes, there's the choice of a further crop with the D2x, but that doesn't count because the whole sensor is still 1.5X). Nikon has also quietly begun building up a collection of its DX lenses, made expressly for its digital format.

Not to beat around the bush: I firmly believe that what Nikon is doing will prove to be smarter in the long run.

The path Canon is taking gives it an advantage right now, because so many photographers want, or think they want, "full frame" (i.e., 35mm-sized) sensors, so they can use their old 35mm lenses on their DSLRs. I've opined before that this is "oldthink," and I still think so. What sensor development up till now has firmly demonstrated is that sensors are getting exponentially better as time passes. Right now, in my opinion, we're beginning to enter the stretch of time when the "enough is enough" influence will begin to kick in. That is, in five or six years, we're going to know approximately what the market demands in terms of ultimate pixel size from a DSLR-type camera. And we're also going to have a pretty good idea of what it doesn't demand."
    .... Mike Johnson "

Jeez I could go on....
    From the reading I've done each camera has their own strengths and each fanboy will point to them.....

I linked to the piece (mainly, though the thought that it might annoy the Canon good, everything else bad gang helped:P) because I thought it is a well thought out view from somebody who is an "old school photographer", by which I mean who's first thought when he gets a new body is not to set it up in a studio an take hundreds of carefully setup sample shots and run them through multiple software tests (and there is a place for all that) buy to go out and take some photographs, print them, and see what his impressions are. Ovbiously his style of shooting affects his results but what else can you expect from a personal impression.

As for his old comments, so what? If we are all going to be held to our previous views then we'd be in big trouble.

The good news is that all three are fabulous pieces of kit, you just need to pick the one that suits you best.
    Solyad wrote: »

From what I've seen the Sony is horrible at high iso - seems they ramped up the MP and forgot about the quality.

So its definitely out.

But there only seems to be a hair between the D700 and the 5D MKII - so the only answer is to get both!

ok - back to reality
    Theres some bits of the D700 id love and some of the 5d... so its going to come down to compromises.

Think i need to get into a store and handle both....

I would have thought that if high ISO/Sports is your thing then there is only one choice.

One review goes the D700s way and then the next one I read the 5D mk IIs way.......as I said before no one would be able to tell the difference if you had 3 pictures and said which one is which.

I do know from the tests and reviews I've read I would never go for the Sony A900, I'm looking forward to gig shooting without a flash.

nilhg wrote: »

I would have thought that if high ISO/Sports is your thing then there is only one choice.

Unless you're a professional I wouldn't imagine the 5D mk II would struggle with the 3.9 FPS shooting sports...I don't use burst mode at all as I know my sports and go down the predict path.
    and the 5D II's ISO are on a par with the D700, depending again what reviews you read.
    Also you can use the 5D mk II sRAW mode which are 10MP and are very very clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Coming from a 5D, which is known for it's fantastic ISO performance, the MKII is able to suitable impress. I haven't bothered comparing it to a D700/D3 because I don't use/own them. It more than keeps up with a 1 series for what it's worth though.

Tbh, I don't think I've taken more than 30 stills on the MKII - The video function is a blast :)

Advertisement