Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭wonga77

The Gleneagle has a nice pool

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Yes the Gleneagle is good for swimming. Family friendly too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looks like the issues of traffic and parking in the town are finally getting to the stage where people are realising the seriousness of the problems they are causing. There was a meeting of stakeholders and the council today to discuss the issue which was covered by Pat Kenny on Newstalk:

https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/50480/09th_January_2019_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_3/

Amongst the issues raised were the congestion on the approach roads to the town during peak season and the parking shortage in the town. The parking issues have had a multi storey car park touted as a solution.

As moderator of the Roads forum, we have a fairly quiet discussion thread on the N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme which would solve a lot of Killarney's traffic problems if built. Stand on any summers evening at the enterance to the Pike and you'll see a queue of traffic for the roundabout at Dalys, containing a large proportion of cars that are going to totally bypass the town on their way from Cork to Killorglin/Dingle/Cahirciveen/Tralee etc. This problem will only get worse in 2022/3 when the Macroom/Ballyvourney bypass opens and the first bottleneck outside Cork will be Killarney itself. This is in addition to predicted tourism growth, currently at 1.1m visitors/year which they are expecting to go towards 1.4m per year. Removing all non essential traffic from the town would be quite a start here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Can someone recommend a company for heating oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Whereabouts are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Just ordered 500 lts from Corrib Oil
    Price 345e
    Can order online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

The hotel refused planning permission I the town, where was it supposed to be built? Heard rumors it was to be the Innisfallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

marno21 wrote: »
    Looks like the issues of traffic and parking in the town are finally getting to the stage where people are realising the seriousness of the problems they are causing. There was a meeting of stakeholders and the council today to discuss the issue which was covered by Pat Kenny on Newstalk:

https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/50480/09th_January_2019_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_3/

Amongst the issues raised were the congestion on the approach roads to the town during peak season and the parking shortage in the town. The parking issues have had a multi storey car park touted as a solution.

As moderator of the Roads forum, we have a fairly quiet discussion thread on the N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme which would solve a lot of Killarney's traffic problems if built. Stand on any summers evening at the enterance to the Pike and you'll see a queue of traffic for the roundabout at Dalys, containing a large proportion of cars that are going to totally bypass the town on their way from Cork to Killorglin/Dingle/Cahirciveen/Tralee etc. This problem will only get worse in 2022/3 when the Macroom/Ballyvourney bypass opens and the first bottleneck outside Cork will be Killarney itself. This is in addition to predicted tourism growth, currently at 1.1m visitors/year which they are expecting to go towards 1.4m per year. Removing all non essential traffic from the town would be quite a start here.

I agree 100% with what youre saying about the traffic, but I think the way they want to add more parking in the town to solve the traffic problem is not beneficial , the cars still have to go in and get out of the town, it will only get worse actually. I think they really should start giving more tickets for people that double park in the town, there are a few spots that it constantly happens and it causes gridlock.

My friend is considering moving to Killarney from overseas, and has asked me how much a 2 bedroom apartment might rent for - within 10-15 minutes walk from town. Can anyone give me an idea of how much that it would cost per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My friend is considering moving to Killarney from overseas, and has asked me how much a 2 bedroom apartment might rent for - within 10-15 minutes walk from town. Can anyone give me an idea of how much that it would cost per month?

Best thing to do is check on Daft. All I know is there is suppose to be a big shortage at the moment!

• Advertisement

Probably lucky to get one at 800, but more than likely 900+, if it can be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Anything from 950-1200 I’d say. But check daft etc

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Anything from 950-1200 I’d say. But check daft etc

Thanks Johnny. Will do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

For anyone interested, plans are out for the realignment at the Lewis Road junction on the bypass:

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/home3/roadsmain/public-consultation-part-8-n22-lewis-road/

Plans include the construction of a roundabout, diverting the Kilcummin Road to the new roundabout, and banning right turns to/from Lewis Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

banning right turns to/from Lewis Road.

This most basic concept should have been introduced a long time ago and would be very simple to implement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

For anyone interested, plans are out for the realignment at the Lewis Road junction on the bypass:

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/home3/roadsmain/public-consultation-part-8-n22-lewis-road/

Plans include the construction of a roundabout, diverting the Kilcummin Road to the new roundabout, and banning right turns to/from Lewis Road.

What's the likely timescale from this point to completion? Ten years or something like that?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    What's the likely timescale from this point to completion? Ten years or something like that?
    Not at all. I would be thinking it'll go to construction in the next 2-3 years as it's cheap and prioritised based on safety concerns.

10 years would be an appropriate guess for the new outer bypass.

Hi all. Can someone tell me when a person is in Europe, France, Germany etc, is it necessary to put that country's code first(33, 49) when calling on a Mobile phone?
    For instance if they're in Paris and wish to make a reservation at a restaurant with an Eir phone do they dial 33?

I'm thinking that it is necessary, but I just want to be certain.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

You have to put + in as well

Like for england its +44

Not just 44

On a landline you use 00 instead of plus afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

You have to put + in as well

Like for england its +44

Not just 44

On a landline you use 00 instead of plus afaik

This is correct.

Even though you're in the country, you're still using an Irish phone so will have to use that countries code.

To get the + sign in from of the 44 or whatever it is just hold 0 until it pops up. Other wise just put 00 before it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

As roaming is free in the EU for all EU customers, another handy option would be just to reserve online from your phone if the restaurants have websites and take online bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JaFoolySoCooly

Does anybody know of an agency or someone in the town who manages AirBnb lettings? Have an apartment I wouldn't mind AirBnbing for a period of the year it's not in use, but with work schedule I don't think it would be possible for key handover, cleaning, maintenance etc.

A lot of airbnbs use a keybox. A little combo lock thats built into the wall near the front door. When they book they get the code.

Then just hire a cleaner to do an hour or so after every booking? Add a cleaning charge of 30 euro or so to cover the cost.

An option if you cant find a company

Best place for brunch? Maybe a bit more artisan than the fry up stuff...

Best place for brunch? Maybe a bit more artisan than the fry up stuff...

Desire restaurant, near the cathedral do a great menu at a great price, it’s across from the cathedral.

Cafe du parc also do a great brunch, both of them have outdoor seating also, the do the best coffees in town as well.
    Enjoy!!

Desire restaurant, near the cathedral do a great menu at a great price, it’s across from the cathedral.

Oh thanks, have been there for an evening meal, nice place alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JaFoolySoCooly

Is the No 52 Tapas Restaurant closed? Anywhere decent for tapas now? Used to love La Rambla.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Is the No 52 Tapas Restaurant closed? Anywhere decent for tapas now? Used to love La Rambla.

Sol y Sombra in Killorglin is good if there is nowhere in Killarney.

Still haven't found a decent sports bar to watch a match.

K town is all changed so not an option now.

Scotts only good at the weekends.

Reidys has only a tiny section for watching the match really unless its a big weekend game.

Is there another option to get a seat and watch a game with the commentary on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

I see Killarney Pharmacy on East Avenue Road/Scotts St is closed, not sure with how long. Does Killarney have too many pharmacies?

Advertisement