Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Still haven't found a decent sports bar to watch a match.

K town is all changed so not an option now.

Scotts only good at the weekends.

Reidys has only a tiny section for watching the match really unless its a big weekend game.

Is there another option to get a seat and watch a game with the commentary on?

I always recommend the Laune, staff are great, always turn the sound up and very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Still haven't found a decent sports bar to watch a match.

K town is all changed so not an option now.

Scotts only good at the weekends.

Reidys has only a tiny section for watching the match really unless its a big weekend game.

Is there another option to get a seat and watch a game with the commentary on?

Have you tried the Sportsmans Bar? It's on High Street near Penney's.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Now that Fabrik has definitely gone, is there a nightclub at all in Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah haven’t been in a long while but watched matches down the back of the Laune a few times, always grand. Also watched a match in the Danny Man last time I was down, was fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Our erstwhile politicians were quick off the mark with posters on the Cork/Mallow rd towards Lissivigeen. Outside the 60km speed limit area but still on the approach to the town.

The Healy Rae lorry outside Barraduff is a complete eyesore and is surely blocking access to the treatment plant there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,813 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the rally of the lakes starting tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Is the rally of the lakes starting tomorrow?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

liam7831 wrote: »
    Yes

Knackerfest is very well attended this year, skobes from all over with noise generating junkboxes. Surely the town could come up with something to attract a better class of clientele besides these anti-social idiots mainly from Donegal and Tyrone.

theguzman wrote: »
    Knackerfest is very well attended this year, skobes from all over with noise generating junkboxes. Surely the town could come up with something to attract a better class of clientele besides these anti-social idiots mainly from Donegal and Tyrone.

They have something better. Its called bike fest, it's on the June bank holiday every year and it's the best weekend of the year in Killarney

kerry37 wrote: »
    They have something better. Its called bike fest, it's on the June bank holiday every year and it's the best weekend of the year in Killarney

But something alternative should be organized and cancel the Rally entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The rally isnt a complete wipeout lads, there's still plenty of people who go and actually watch the event every year. Goes without saying, its nothing compared to what it used to be years ago. Have to say though, the Gardai have done a good job at keeping a good deal of them out this year and last compared to many years gone by.

theguzman wrote: »
    But something alternative should be organized and cancel the Rally entirely.

Lol. When it was voted on a couple of years back, it was found that almost all of the publicans,hotels, shops, off licenses, take aways, all wanted the rally to stay. Its worth millions to the local economy and the genuine fans who are up at 5am to get to a stage after having 4 pints and an.early night far outweigh the minority scumbag element.

Anyone know of any secure storage units for rent in Killarney area pls? Need to store furniture, household goods for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Is there any place in Killarney where I could find a decent men's fedora hat? Thanks for any idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Where is Flesk castle? Is it on private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Where is Flesk castle? Is it on private property?

Off Mill Road.
    It's on private property and afaik it's not accessable to the public anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Flesk Castle is also known locally as Coltsmann’s castle,it's been in private hands for decades. But it was bought by the O'Reilly family (Any computer geek will know them, they are one of the most well known technical book publishers in the world) in 2005, and they have plans to renovate it. Some work has been carried out, mostly remedial and a lot of clean-up, I don't think there are any final plans as to what they are going to do with it.

AFAIK before they owned it, it was owned by the Cunningham's (Who owned Dingles Restraunt on New St), it's been out of bounds to the public for a long time (Insurance reasons mostly, as it's privately held and not particularly safe), but when I was young we used to hop the walls up there for a look around, I don't remember it ever being easy to access, as all normal enterences, main gate etc, were always kept padlocked.

For the original person who asked, if you head down the mill road between whitebridge and the glen, you pass a little stone tower on your right, directly across from that is a drive going up a hill with plenty of "private property" and "no entry" signs. It's up the top of that road.

Guaranteed to cause problems over the next 2 weeks.

https://www.killarneytoday.com/stretch-ring-kerry-road-close-12-days/

Radio5 wrote: »
    Guaranteed to cause problems over the next 2 weeks.

https://www.killarneytoday.com/stretch-ring-kerry-road-close-12-days/

What stupidity, a small bit of the quay wall collapsed, no need for a closure, what is needed is to put a team of rockbreakers and a dynamite crew and widen the road further up and blast out the tunnels. But if the Rhododendron issue is not addressed soon there will be no National Park in another decade.

At least it's reopened early anyway http://www.kerrycoco.ie/home3/roadsmain/re-opening-of-the-n71-road-at-dinis/

ROK this weekend and Mayo/Galway coming to town on the 14th so that should keep businesses happy. Or as happy as they'll ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,813 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the funfair by Scotts open daily for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is the funfair by Scotts open daily for the summer?

Midweek its open evenings, weekends it's open all day afaik but would be worth checking as I'm not 100% on the opening times.

Usually finishes up the last weekend of July/first weekend of August, then it goes to Puck Fair in Killorglin on the 10t, 11th and 12th of August and then onto the Rose of Tralee festival after that until the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Midweek its open evenings, weekends it's open all day afaik but would be worth checking as I'm not 100% on the opening times.

Usually finishes up the last weekend of July/first weekend of August, then it goes to Puck Fair in Killorglin on the 10t, 11th and 12th of August and then onto the Rose of Tralee festival after that until the end of August.

Saw a sign saying the car park is unavailable up to the 8th August so I presume that's the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone know where someone would pick up a set of golf clubs in Kerry? Google doesn’t really throw up any physical retail options so is Online the only real choice?

They’d be new rather than second hand.

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone know where someone would pick up a set of golf clubs in Kerry? Google doesn’t really throw up any physical retail options so is Online the only real choice?

Nice to see Shane Lowrys win is inspiring people :pac:

Killarney golf shop on Plunkett street. A pop up shop that opens for summer only afaik and they definitely sell sets of clubs.

There's a McGurks in Manor West, Tralee.

Could try calling a couple of golf clubs or your local one and ask if they have any local recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Degag wrote: »

Henneberys or macguirks in Tralee. Killarney golf club as well. Other than that cork city has a good few options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Sports Direct, the old Heatons building, they have them upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

Paid €7-40 for a glass of wine in Reidy's. To say it was an egg full size would be over generous. I queried it with the girl behind the counter and asked her to look at the measure and tell me that was good value. Thinking She would be embarrassed with it and top it up.... but no joy.

They should take a leaf out our the wine measures in the Killarney Brewary... at only €5 a glass.

Bad form...... won't be frequenting Reidys as much at this prices.

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Paid €7-40 for a glass of wine in Reidy's. To say it was an egg full size would be over generous. I queried it with the girl behind the counter and asked her to look at the measure and tell me that was good value. Thinking She would be embarrassed with it and top it up.... but no joy.

They should take a leaf out our the wine measures in the Killarney Brewary... at only €5 a glass.

Bad form...... won't be frequenting Reidys as much at this prices.

Your first mistake was going to Reidys. A place so far up it's own hole catering to the Instagram brigade so they can get the likes. Only way I'd describe it is a place with "notions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

dobman88 wrote: »
    Your first mistake was going to Reidys. A place so far up it's own hole catering to the Instagram brigade so they can get the likes. Only way I'd describe it is a place with "notions".

You are right.....

Noticed that it's getting less and less popular by the locals. My kids avoid it now after having to pay €5 to get in on Paddy's night. And then €10 to drink in their sister pub Social 15. Pure tourist trap now.

Advertisement