Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

The for sale sign is up maybe a month at this stage.

The sale will be straight shoot-out between Dalys and The Heights as both of them need the space to expand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Does anyone know of a mothers and others group in town? Looking for new hobbies and things to join

Does anyone know of a mothers and others group in town? Looking for new hobbies and things to join

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Karate Tuesday at 5:30 pm in St Marys Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any recommendations for bars in the town with live trad music in the evenings that would be ok with very well-behaved kids (15 & 11 yo)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Any recommendations for bars in the town with live trad music in the evenings that would be ok with very well-behaved kids (15 & 11 yo)?

A bar on high Street under new management called Sullys. It's across the road from penny's, they'd be happy to have you in. Murphys bar on college street the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Studio 7 beside dunnes has a "bring your baby to workout " class and the mother's go for tea and chats regularly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

The Grand Hotel, near the Town Hall on Main Street have Trad sessions also.

The Grand Hotel, near the Town Hall on Main Street have Trad sessions also.

The kids wouldn't be left in there. They're pretty strict.

dobman88 wrote: »
    The kids wouldn't be left in there. They're pretty strict.

That's not true. They are allowed in until 9pm

• Advertisement

Benildus wrote: »
    That's not true. They are allowed in until 9pm

Yes I know that. Didn't think the trad was on before 9. Isn't it usually 9-11 with a cover band on at 11.30?

I didn't realise that the Grand didn't allow older kids after 9 p.m. It is a bit early for that restriction, considering the music doesn't start til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I didn't realise that the Grand didn't allow older kids after 9 p.m. It is a bit early for that restriction, considering the music doesn't start til then.

Rather pathetic and narrow minded of the hotel, why shouldn’t families be allowed to enjoy the music and spend money?

Don’t get me wrong I think all children should be kept out of the way most of the time but from a business point of view it seems like madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Rather pathetic and narrow minded of the hotel, why shouldn’t families be allowed to enjoy the music and spend money?

Don’t get me wrong I think all children should be kept out of the way most of the time but from a business point of view it seems like madness.

I think it's the law.... not pubs rule. Government brought it in a few years ago

Masala wrote: »
    I think it's the law.... not pubs rule. Government brought it in a few years ago

Yes it's a law, not just a house rule. Has been in place for a few years now at this stage.

Seems it's actually 10pm in the summer months. Taken from citizens information website.

Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions. For example if accompanied by a parent/guardian, the child may remain on the premises between the hours of 10:30am - 9pm (10pm May to September)

I surmise Murphy's might be exempt from the 9/10 pm restriction as they are also a restaurant?
    I generally wouldn't be in favour of bringing children into pubs etc. except for a special occasion perhaps, and that they go home at a reasonable time - 11/11.30 pm.

I surmise Murphy's might be exempt from the 9/10 pm restriction as they are also a restaurant?
    I generally wouldn't be in favour of bringing children into pubs etc. except for a special occasion perhaps, and that they go home at a reasonable time - 11/11.30 pm.

Not sure if they're exempt but they don't seem to be concerned about the 9 or 10pm rule. Have seen families in there enjoying the music plenty of times.

Don't have a problem with it myself if the kids aren't running around crazy and a 15 and 11 year old would be happy enough to be on their phones or whatever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Any idea what's going in Beech Road beside Ulster Bank- used to be a restaurant I think but closed for a while now. Plenty of work going on there at the moment.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Any idea what's going in Beech Road beside Ulster Bank- used to be a restaurant I think but closed for a while now. Plenty of work going on there at the moment.

I'd heard the Thai restaurant was meant to be going in there. it was relocating from the Innisfallen mall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Benildus wrote: »
    I'd heard the Thai restaurant was meant to be going in there. it was relocating from the Innisfallen mall

Yeah heard the Thai but not for a bit yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Hi,I'll be in Killarney this weekend with some visitors.Is there any pubs in Killarney that should be showing the Community Shield on Sunday afternoon??
    I know there's GAA on,and that could be the main focal point for the locals to watch,but it's of no interest to the visitors I'll have with me,they'd like to see the football.Thanks in advance.

Hi,I'll be in Killarney this weekend with some visitors.Is there any pubs in Killarney that should be showing the Community Shield on Sunday afternoon??
    I know there's GAA on,and that could be the main focal point for the locals to watch,but it's of no interest to the visitors I'll have with me,they'd like to see the football.Thanks in advance.

You'd be lucky to find a pub showing it over the football anyway.

Any time I wanted to watch a game that wasn't a "main" game, I went to the Laune on new street, they have a few telly's and always stuck on what I wanted to watch on one of them.

Best bet probably take a walk around an hour beforehand, find a quiet spot and ask if they'll stick it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

There will be plenty places showing both

There will be plenty places showing both

Could you name all the places showing both? There are GAA games on at the same time this week due to the super 8s, that's why I don't think the soccer would be on.

Sunday schedule:

Sky Sports Arena, 1pm:
    Galway v Clare, All-Ireland SHC semi-final replay (Throw-in 2pm)

RTE Two, 1.30pm: The Sunday Game Live
    Galway v Clare, All-Ireland SHC semi-final replay (Throw-in 2pm)

RTE One, 3pm: The Sunday Game Live
    Donegal v Tyrone, All-Ireland SFC quarter-final phase 3 (Throw-in 3.30pm)

RTE News Now, 3.15pm:
    Dublin v Roscommon, All-Ireland SFC quarter-final phase 3 (Throw-in 3.30pm)

Saturday schedule:

RTE Two, 5.15pm: The Saturday Game Live
    Tipperary v Waterford, All-Ireland Camogie Senior Championship Quarter-Final (Throw-in 5.30pm)
    Dublin v Galway, All-Ireland Camogie Senior Championship Quarter-Final (Throw-in 7.15pm)

Sky Sports Action, 5pm:
    Galway v Monaghan, All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final phase 3 (Throw-in 6pm)

Sky Sports Arena, 5.50pm:
    Kerry v Kildare, All-Ireland SFC Quarter-final Phase 3 (Throw-in 6pm)

Action packed! And the soccer is only a pre season friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'd be very surprised if the K-town bar doesn't show it

madcabbage wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if the K-town bar doesn't show it

I was gonna suggest that but with a recent Kerry footballer running the place I thought they'd be showing the gaa.

Charlie Foleys is a soccer pub actually so they'd probably show the soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

k town used to have about 10 tellys. not sure now but guaranteed itll be on one of them

im surprised so few people go there

Can someone tell me the name of the greyhound charity in town? Where about is it located?

• Advertisement

Not sure where to post this and it's not worthy of its own thread so meh, here it is.

TL;DR spent the weekend at home. Had a great Saturday.

Went home this weekend on Friday due to work giving us a €100 bonus for a "summer day out". Had no plans really other than see the family and get a walk up torc in.

Got home on Friday evening so up early Saturday morning and headed up torc mountain, was very cloudy up there but still fantastic, a lot of deer around and I got the closest to a stag I've ever got. Parked in the upper car park on the old Kenmare road and it took just under 2 hours from the time I left the car until I got back and that included a bit of time just stitting at the top with a cup of tea and not over exerting myself.

Rang my sister and met her in Killarney then, decided we'd head to puck in Killorglin for a look, seemed a lot quieter than other years but maybe the weather played a part. Nice to have a wander for an hour and meet some old faces.

I wanted chowder in Dingle so that was next on the list. We were getting there at almost 5pm so kept going on to Ventry and into Paidi O Se pub to watch the Dublin and Galway match. It was absolutely packed with stags, day tours and people in for food but was surprisingly comfortable. My first time there and enjoyed it. The photos of Paidi with all the celebs on the walls is something else.

Into Murphy's in Dingle for the chowder and was as fantastic as it always was. They had a Q for groups out the door and were happy to have us sit at the bar.

A nice handy spin home then to round off a great day. Left the house at 10am yesterday morning and didn't get back until 9pm last night.

Have to mention the Gleneagle hotel leisure centre. Stopped in for a shower after climbing torc. The girl asked was i using gym or pool and I explained I just wanted a shower after the hike and I was heading to puck. She said that's grand and only charged me a fiver when it's normally a tenner in. Was more than happy to pay the tenner but thought that was a nice touch by her.

Had a mighty day, got some good photos to show work where their money went and realised we do have a nice little county. Just hope it won't be so long until the next visit.

Advertisement