Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sikpupi wrote: »
    You are right.....

Noticed that it's getting less and less popular by the locals. My kids avoid it now after having to pay €5 to get in on Paddy's night. And then €10 to drink in their sister pub Social 15. Pure tourist trap now.

Yep. My sister and her mates (all 22-25 which is their target market) have stopped going there when they head to Killarney. Sad for a place in prime location with fantastic potential but I suppose it's up to them what they want to do with the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Apparently they up the price of drink after a certain hour or every hour..... It's far too packed for my liking anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sikpupi wrote: »
    You are right.....

Noticed that it's getting less and less popular by the locals. My kids avoid it now after having to pay €5 to get in on Paddy's night. And then €10 to drink in their sister pub Social 15. Pure tourist trap now.

Heard it being referred to as Greedies a couple of times by younger relatives in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Apparently they up the price of drink after a certain hour or every hour..... It's far too packed for my liking anymore.

I'm not too sure about that, I was there for a while on Sunday night, and it was 4 something for a pint, which is the same I paid during the day last weekend and within 10c or so from everywhere else in town (Except McSorleys, which IIRC is over a fiver)

I'd agree with you on the packed thing, it's often pointless being in there after 10pm or so, as the waits for the bars are a pain in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

oeb wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that, I was there for a while on Sunday night, and it was 4 something for a pint, which is the same I paid during the day last weekend and within 10c or so from everywhere else in town (Except McSorleys, which IIRC is over a fiver)

I'd agree with you on the packed thing, it's often pointless being in there after 10pm or so, as the waits for the bars are a pain in the backside.

Nobody goes there anymore it's too crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Nobody goes there anymore it's too crowded.

If nobody goes there how is it crowded :/

monkeynuz wrote: »
    If nobody goes there how is it crowded :/

It's a quote by Yogi Berra, who was well known for making humorous remarks.
    Deja vu all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

It's a quote by Yogi Berra, who was well known for making humorous remarks.
    Deja vu all over again.

Oh, right, hilarious, thanks.

Hi. Is the road to Tralee still closed at Farranfore?

Checked the K.C;C; website and there's no reference to the road closure at Farranfore - so I'm guessing that it is open again.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was just a burst water main that caused excessive flooding the other day far as I know. Haven't heard anything official but it should be open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Drove that way today & it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Good to see quite a few bike parking racks being installed around town relatively recently.
    It's far better than having to lock to poles and probably getting in people's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Besides The Brehon and The Gleneagle (too expensive) where is best to stay for going to a INEC gig with young kids so out Muckross Road would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Besides The Brehon and The Gleneagle (too expensive) where is best to stay for going to a INEC gig with young kids so out Muckross Road would be good

Riverside Hotel maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The inec run a free shuttle from town, so maybe the plaza? Or Airbnb?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I second the Riverside hotel..
    Also the Holiday Inn is within walking distance to the INEC..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Right lads. Going to Killarney for three nights at the start of October. Have never been in Kerry before and looking to do the must-see sights around Killarney, and the wider area. What would ye recommend? I assume the Brehon is well-located in terms of walking around. Which pubs would be worth visiting mid-week? Oh and is there an affordable, romantic restaurant as it'll be our anniversary when we are over there?

Right lads. Going to Killarney for three nights at the start of October. Have never been in Kerry before and looking to do the must-see sights around Killarney, and the wider area. What would ye recommend? I assume the Brehon is well-located in terms of walking around. Which pubs would be worth visiting mid-week? Oh and is there an affordable, romantic restaurant as it'll be our anniversary when we are over there?

Brehon is ideal for exploring the national park, muckross house and torc waterfall. Stick on a comfy pair of runners and make a day of it walking. For a night in town, it's a taxi job.

Must sees, depends what you're looking for. Personally prefer the dingle area to the ring of Kerry. The drive is just as nice but the area seems nicer somehow around Dingle.

Restaurants, Treyvauds, The Great Southern hotel restaurant, Robertinos, Bricin, Lord Kenmares. My siblings and I recently bought our parents dinner in the Europe hotel for their anniversary and they were amazed by it.

Pubs, I always say just walk around and find somewhere that takes your fancy. Most places have music at weekends and theres loads of nice pubs to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

If the weather is nice, definitely go as far as Inch and Dingle (only about an hour from Killarney) Inch is an absolutely stunning beach and Dingle is a lovely little town to explore.
    When you're passing through Annascaul stop off and see where Tom Crean is buried. It's a tiny little cemetery ( Ballynacourty cemetery if you're using google maps) but only about five minutes drive from Annascaul. It's all vaults and just so mystic. If fairies had danced across I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
    Killarney National Park is beautiful too. If you head in from opposite the cathedral it's about a half hour walk out to Ross Castle. You can walk from Ross Castle to Muckross House too but that's a good hour and a half. Better to drive out there, or of course you could get a jaunting car ;)

Wherever you go, you'll have a fabulous weekend. Kerry is gorgeous and the people are so friendly.

I'm from Limerick and would absolutely love to move down there. Mr Crumble won't move otherwise I'd be gone in the morning.

• Advertisement

Killarney National Park is beautiful too. If you head in from opposite the cathedral it's about a half hour walk out to Ross Castle. You can walk from Ross Castle to Muckross House too but that's a good hour and a half. Better to drive out there

Just to point out, you cant do that walk through the park (Ross Castle to Muckross House). You have to come out onto the main road, up Ross road and walk down Muckross Road. They're 2 separate walks and equally stunning around different areas of the park.

I've often met bewildered tourists walking between the cathedral and Ross castle looking for muckross house only for their jaw to drop when I explain the reality to them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

dobman88 wrote: »
    Just to point out, you cant do that walk through the park (Ross Castle to Muckross House). You have to come out onto the main road, up Ross road and walk down Muckross Road. They're 2 separate walks and equally stunning around different areas of the park.

I've often met bewildered tourists walking between the cathedral and Ross castle looking for muckross house only for their jaw to drop when I explain the reality to them lol

Sorry, yes I should have clarified that. Reading back on my post now I realise I made it sound as if you could walk from one to the other through the park.

Sorry, yes I should have clarified that. Reading back on my post now I realise I made it sound as if you could walk from one to the other through the park.

It's not possible now, but it's in the works, for what it's worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's not possible now, but it's in the works, for what it's worth :)
    Interesting, is there any more info on that?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Interesting, is there any more info on that?

Here is some information and a plan of it.

https://www.killarneytoday.com/killarney-cycle-walkway-shovel-ready/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2019/0916/1076266-killarney-court-driving/

Some good news for a change, however all their cars should have impounded and crushed for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

theguzman wrote: »

Some good news for a change, however all their cars should have impounded and crushed for good measure.

I find its a bit harsh of a penalty considering you could be caught drug driving or drinking for smaller the penalty. Guards have too much time on their hands if boy racers is all that concerns them.

Drive through the National Park, past the Lakes, Ladies View, the Black Valley and Moll's Gap to Kenmare, stop for a coffee, and head on to do the Ring of Beara. If you like wild, rugged and remote areas, it's not nearly as touristy as the Ring of Kerry and has some of the prettiest villages in the SW, like Eyeries and Glengarriff. You won't have time to take a boat to Garnish Island, or a walk to Gleninchaquin Waterfall, but you might just squeeze in an out and back to Dursey on the cable car.

And walk, not just past the waterfall, but to the summit of Torc, it has fantastic views out over the lakes and woodlands and also across to Mangerton and the old road trail to Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I was walking on the Old Kenmare Road recently. Wonderful, great work by OPW etc with the sleepers, markers... lovely car park.

But the road from the Muckross Road up to the car park. Jesus Christ. Lunar surface!!!

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »

Definitely a good result. I notice that only one of the irresponsibles lives in Kerry - Kenmare. The others are from different counties. It is a proper sentence for them; they put other innocent people's lives in danger. I agree with your post.

Advertisement