Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Definitely a good result. I notice that only one of the irresponsibles lives in Kerry - Kenmare. The others are from different counties. It is a proper sentence for them; they put other innocent people's lives in danger. I agree with your post.

Wasnt there one from firies in Kerry also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Wasnt there one from firies in Kerry also?

Yes according to Radio Kerry report of the Court Hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Bog Oak. I am looking for someone that does bog oak sculptures in Killarney. Someone from the Killarney area might be able to help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I think there's a few on offer in a shop in the killarney outlet centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I think there's a few on offer in a shop in the killarney outlet centre.

I met a man from Killarney that does bog oak sculptures and works from home. I lost his number from my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Radio Kerry reporting that the station office/shop/cafe at Killarney bus station are closed with no date for re-opening. Tickets and information only available from bus drivers now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Radio5 wrote: »
    Radio Kerry reporting that the station office/shop/cafe at Killarney bus station are closed with no date for re-opening. Tickets and information only available from bus drivers now apparently.

Is there not a ticket machine there? Goodness gracious-there will come a time when robots will be driving the buses. Unfortunately people are possibly becoming a disposal product according to our tax supported civil servants and our politicians. I suppose it's what we deserve by electing them in year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Radio5 wrote: »

Currently they are looking for new tenants to take it over I believe, so not Bus Eiranns fault-this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If the weather is nice, definitely go as far as Inch and Dingle (only about an hour from Killarney) Inch is an absolutely stunning beach and Dingle is a lovely little town to explore.
    When you're passing through Annascaul stop off and see where Tom Crean is buried. It's a tiny little cemetery ( Ballynacourty cemetery if you're using google maps) but only about five minutes drive from Annascaul. It's all vaults and just so mystic. If fairies had danced across I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
    Killarney National Park is beautiful too. If you head in from opposite the cathedral it's about a half hour walk out to Ross Castle. You can walk from Ross Castle to Muckross House too but that's a good hour and a half. Better to drive out there, or of course you could get a jaunting car ;)

Wherever you go, you'll have a fabulous weekend. Kerry is gorgeous and the people are so friendly.

I'm from Limerick and would absolutely love to move down there. Mr Crumble won't move otherwise I'd be gone in the morning.

Came back from my midweek break yesterday and I fell in love with the county. Wonderful scenery and the friendliest of people.

Done Torc Waterfall, Muckross and Gap of Dunloe on day one. Was at the latter late enough in the evening to drive up the road without meeting any horse and carts. The scenery up there is stunning, and made mystical or something by the squalid sort of rain just enveloping the top of the mountains.

Drove down to Dingle on day two, and if anything the landscape was even more beautiful. Inch Strand is up there with one of the most stunning views I have ever seen anywhere, particularly at a vantage point just up from the car-park where you can pull in off the road. Walked Ventry beach too and just had to see Paidí's, although I thought it was a bit "twee" :D Done the aquarium when in Dingle too as it was recommended by the GF's friend- great way to spend an hour or two. Missed out on Annascaul as it was late evening when we were leaving Dingle.

Wanted to pack in Carrountohill before our journey home, but the weather was dreadful so hit the road instead with a heavy heart.

The food was generally excellent too. A taxi-man recommended Kitty O'Shea's to us and it was superb. Didn't encounter one rude service staff anywhere, and my favourite pubs were probably The Grand (can't believe it has live music and a late bar seven nights a week), and Reidy's.

One last word. The Brehon is one of the finest hotels you can ever wish to stay in. The spa is sensational. Oh and Killarney cabs provide a very efficient service. Couldn't ask for more from a break away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wouldnt disagree with much there tbf. Very nice review. One of the lads works for Killarney Cabs, I'll be sure to pass on the nice words. Glad you enjoyed the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Came back from my midweek break yesterday and I fell in love with the county. Wonderful scenery and the friendliest of people.

Done Torc Waterfall, Muckross and Gap of Dunloe on day one. Was at the latter late enough in the evening to drive up the road without meeting any horse and carts. The scenery up there is stunning, and made mystical or something by the squalid sort of rain just enveloping the top of the mountains.

Drove down to Dingle on day two, and if anything the landscape was even more beautiful. Inch Strand is up there with one of the most stunning views I have ever seen anywhere, particularly at a vantage point just up from the car-park where you can pull in off the road. Walked Ventry beach too and just had to see Paidí's, although I thought it was a bit "twee" :D Done the aquarium when in Dingle too as it was recommended by the GF's friend- great way to spend an hour or two. Missed out on Annascaul as it was late evening when we were leaving Dingle.

Wanted to pack in Carrountohill before our journey home, but the weather was dreadful so hit the road instead with a heavy heart.

The food was generally excellent too. A taxi-man recommended Kitty O'Shea's to us and it was superb. Didn't encounter one rude service staff anywhere, and my favourite pubs were probably The Grand (can't believe it has live music and a late bar seven nights a week), and Reidy's.

One last word. The Brehon is one of the finest hotels you can ever wish to stay in. The spa is sensational. Oh and Killarney cabs provide a very efficient service. Couldn't ask for more from a break away.

How would you rate it for value for money? Killarney is an absolute ripoff in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

theguzman wrote: »
    How would you rate it for value for money? Killarney is an absolute ripoff in my opinion.

Well in fairness it is a tourist hotspot, and you pay for what you get. You go for a treat of a top four star hotel and you'll pay for it. Food and drink overall is still better value than Dublin. And the scenery is 10 times better so no it's not a ripoff at all.

Walked Ventry beach too and just had to see Paidí's, although I thought it was a bit "twee"...

If he still has the photos covering the walls, I'm with him in one of them.

Surprised you didn't recognise me...

Hi all. Does anyone know if there's a place to buy cheesecloth in Killarney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Circle K beside McDonalds do half price car wash every Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

Looking for a housekeeper/cleaner for a bi weekly visit to the house. If anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated. Thanks.

snoopmadra wrote: »
    Looking for a housekeeper/cleaner for a bi weekly visit to the house. If anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donal O'Sullivan has an ad in the advertiser this week. He's been in the business for a number of years. I used his service in the past and was happy with it.
    087 258 1681

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The council have published a tender for the construction of the proposed Inner Relief Road between High Street and Bothairin na Gabhann.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/158238/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

I didn't think it would appear this quick. Anyone got a map of the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

marno21 wrote: »
    The council have published a tender for the construction of the proposed Inner Relief Road....

When they get around to it I hope they come up with a suitable name for the new thoroughfare.

Unlike Dundalk, where the Inner Relief Road is still so named. If you have an upset stomach you just have to stroll along it to feel better.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A plea from a homesick former Kerry resident!

Does anyone know of or have a video of the wonderful Nativity crib in Killarney Cathedral, please? I miss it so much; I think it is this coming weekend it will be in place?

Used to spend a good while there every year and even got the staff to put benches there so we old folk who cannot kneel any more could sit and adore!

I hated leaving Kerry but my landlord needed to sell his house and I could not find another rental I could afford.

I miss the Trad Farms too at Muckross, but they are online!

Thank you

• Advertisement

This is a worthwhile read.... Posted in this thread for a reason

Mod snip! Removed link due to potentially libelous content. Will seek further opinion. Please don't repost in the meantime! - Quackster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

This is a worthwhile read.... Posted in this thread for a reason

Nothing inside there particularly unknown to locals, I remember hearing at the time that McSorleys had been operating without an exemption for some time, but I was surprised to know that all the late venues in Killarney were doing the same.

It's a bit nuts that Mick Wallace used his parliamentary privilege to bring this up 4 years ago, and still nothing has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Would anyone here know which coffee shop would have the fastest internet speed (ideally upload)? In Killarney for a few days at my parents but the internet is fairly poor and have important files to upload for work (10gb+). Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Better off going to a hotel imo. Wouldn't expect any coffee shop in town to have fast internet. Find a hotel, order a pot of tea and a scone. Work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

You could chance the Library

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Down in K for the weekend. Recommends for pubs and restaurants?

Well probably do the Jauntys and Torc if its dry, anywhere else localish

Give us an idea what you would be looking for.... Family friendly... All ages...quiet or mad few Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Reidys is lovely for lunch and also its night life would be one of killarney top main bars, Porterhouse also very good for food. Genting thai is great for food also and is down by tesco. Tatler jack and the ross are two other great bars for night life. And if your a night owl go to the grand or social 15 nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

revoke12 wrote: »
    Reidys is lovely for lunch and also its night life would be one of killarney top main bars, Porterhouse also very good for food. Genting thai is great for food also and is down by tesco. Tatler jack and the ross are two other great bars for night life. And if your a night owl go to the grand or social 15 nightclub

Also planning trip next week or two
    party of 6-8 looking for somewere live music and good pints
    for young late 40 -50 year olds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

afro man wrote: »
    Also planning trip next week or two
    party of 6-8 looking for somewere live music and good pints
    for young late 40 -50 year olds :D

Definately Reidys with the life music especially on the weekends, Tatler jack also and the failte would have good music Fri, sat , sunday midweek im not too sure but they would be the most lively pubs for sure.

Advertisement