Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung NC10 Netbook (Blue) - €319.93 ** MISPRICE** [TheHut / SendIt]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

quarryman wrote: »
    Where's the best place to pick up RAM at this price?

Also, anyone considered putting Vista on it. A much better OS IMO.

On Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2GB-Kingston-DDR2-800-2-G-GB-PC2-6400-DDR-PC-DIMM-RAM_W0QQitemZ180306044995QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_MemoryRAM_JN?hash=item180306044995&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Get the kingston. It seems to work quite well in these little machine.

Not a big fan of the Vista but if you are going to go on that way you wil; need that 2 GB Ram. Vista is a lot more demaning that XP with the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wonder does upgrading the RAM void the warranty? Cos it doesn't when you do it on any of the Asus EEE-PC, but does on the Advent 4211.

EDIT: Looks like it!
    Can I Upgrade The Netbook Components (RAM, HDD, And ODD)?

Upgrading any of the netbooks components (RAM, HDD, or ODD) will void its warranty. Also, Samsung authorized service centers will not upgrade the components. If a retailer upgrades the netbook for you, it will void the warranty.

Could you just not put back the original RAM if you need to send it back to Samsung?

I know that there is a way to know that the RAM has been upgraded but would Samsung really bother to check it?

Galego wrote: »
    Could you just not put back the original RAM if you need to send it back to Samsung?

I know that there is a way to know that the RAM has been upgraded but would Samsung really bother to check it?
    No clue...

But would there be a "Void If Removed" sticker over the opening on the NC10 that when broken (i.e opened), it voids your warranty.. (obviously! ;))

basquille wrote: »
    No clue...

But would there be a "Void If Removed" sticker over the opening on the NC10 that when broken (i.e opened), it voids your warranty.. (obviously! ;))

There is no sticker or soever to open the netbook.

I got this from Laptopmag.com. It talks about the MSI but same applies to the NC10.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-upgrading-wind-ram-voids-warranty

"Without a “void if removed” sticker, it’s unclear how MSI will be able to enforce its warranty policy. Users who have upgraded their RAM and later need warranty service may remove the additional DIMM before sending their systems for repair."

So I'd say go and upgrade yours. For those 20-30 EUR worths the try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yeah, doesn't look there is a sticker covering it. I might give it a try.

Also they mark it clearly "Memory" and a standard philips screw....

Sound so.

Will buy some RAM for it now. Cheers Galego.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is it easy to upgrade RAM yourself?

Great little laptop though, i think i'll go for this.
    A little saddened that there's no DVD drive though. :(
    You can get mains powered external ones for about €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement

Is it easy to upgrade RAM yourself?
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to be honest.

Nice set of instructions here (and a video) to change RAM for the NC10: http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/nc10-ram.aspx

EDIT: Beaten to it by eVeNtInE.

PS - not too bothered about a optical drive.. especially when you can do anything with an ISO and / or a USB key nowadays.

EDIT 2: Anyone have any idea on Samsung's dead pixel tolerance policy? Tried a search there but can't find anything. It's the one fear I have of buying anything LCD related online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

Cheers for that eVeNtInE.

Probably being far too cautious considering it hasn't even shipped yet! :D

How times change though.. from 2005!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

no optical drive?

redfan wrote: »
    no optical drive?

No optical drive.

I mean it is a budget for under 400EUR which weighs 1.35 Kg and has a 10.2" screen.

I'd find quite amazing how in the earth they could fit an optical drive in ANY netbook.

If you want something with an optical drive then you will have to move to 12" laptops, anything bigger than 10.2" is NOT a netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

redfan wrote: »
    no optical drive?

Netbooks dont do integrated optical drives. Its prob the first thing to go when cutting down the form factor.
    Netbooks are seen as a second (or 3rd) computer after your home desktop or your work laptop. There are many ways to get by without the need for the dvd drive. If you cant do without one then the external drive is the way to go. If you think you will be needing the external drive more than not needing it then a netbook aint for you. Get a cheap dell laptop instead.

I can't recall the last time I used a CD / DVD to be perfectly honest (bar re-installing an OS)..

Like I said, these days everything worthwhile I have on CD is backed up as an ISO. CD's / DVD's still scratch and degrade far too easily.

Use an ISO and CD / DVD Emulation software (e.g DaemonTools / Alcohol 120) and you're set!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dead pixel tolerances and you..

basquille, this post: http://forum.novatech.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=155

ISO 13406-2 - I think the above covers consumer law for the UK, would be similar here.. I see a lot of places fob customers off with a 'return to manufacturer'. I have no idea if the ISO allows for instant on the spot replacement.

Elara use the above ISO as a faulty benchmark.

http://www.elara.ie/shop/RI5.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Slightly off-topic but its a while since i seen a dead pixel on a laptop. I've had them on Ipods and DSs but I bought a laptop earlier in the year that was fine. And my NC10 seems perfect too.

Cheers for the link Amalgam.

Haven't got a dead pixel in a laptop in a while either quarryman. From memory, I own a MacBook, HP Pavilion, a DS, an iPod, a Creative Zen and a full 1080P LCD TV. All clean except there's one single dead pixel on my TV near the bottom but of course I didn't notice it until a few months after I bought it.. I mean it's 1 pixel among 1920 x 1080 display.. you wouldn't notice unless you had your nose pressed up against the screen! :D

• Advertisement

Balls.. just after realising.. does anyone know if TheHut.com ship from Jersey or the UK?

For some reason, I think it's Jersey. Will be liable for customs if so! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Hmm, just checked back in on this thread, didn't realise the price has gone up.

Regret not getting it earlier, it's up to about €390 now, will need Sterling to get a lot weaker:)

Was wrong in assuming I'd be charged customs from Jersey.. but I could be charged VAT if it wasn't included in the price.

But after ringing TheHut.com helpline, I've been assured the prices on their site include VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

basquille wrote: »
    Was wrong in assuming I'd be charged customs from Jersey.. but I could be charged VAT if it wasn't included in the price.

But after ringing TheHut.com helpline, I've been assured the prices on their site include VAT.

Glad to hear it. I hate buying something abroad and praying to the man upstairs that I don't get stung by customs.

Let us know how you get on with your netbook when it arrives. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Am I right in thinking that dabs is currently the best priced for this at about €380 delivered?

Also what is the drive situation, just a standard cd drive or none at all?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

Yeah, i'm gettin' mine from dabs, seems the cheapest.

Theres no cd drive at all bro.

Is that not kind of weird?

I'm trying to think of something that might have to be installed on it but i can't think of an example, but just for the sake of it, "What If" something needed to be installed on it and comes on a cd, what can be done?:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Is that not kind of weird?

I'm trying to think of something that might have to be installed on it but i can't think of an example, but just for the sake of it, "What If" something needed to be installed on it and comes on a cd, what can be done?:D
    Most manufacturers let you download the software or a trial version. Just download that and enter your serial key. The only time I can think of using a dvd drive is for re-installing windows (even then I don't bother with the drivers cd and just download them) and the occasional time I have to burn something to a dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

We are €379.94 delivered. :D

These ones in tomorrow.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1617255&productID=

• Advertisement

Kin Mak wrote: »

:DI'll buy from your site if you can tell me how much it would be excluding vat :p

Advertisement