Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

orestes wrote: »
    I also say dude a lot, but that's probably just from watching too much ninja turtles as a kid

That excuse only works if you say "cowabunga" before "dude".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'd love to be cool enough to use the word homie or holmes to speak to someone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Not having a go at anyone here, but we, as Irish, who are supposed to be of laid back nature, seem to get pissed off at the stupid dumb sh*t out there.

He says man, that annoys me
    He says dude, that annoys me
    He badmouthed my favourite wrestler, that annoyed me
    Our government has spent 10 years making a bollox out of our country.. that's cool, let's vote in Fianna Failure in again next year! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I agree. Where else could a man get away with borrowing money from a plasterer or using FAS money for hair salons. God bless this country ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I agree. Where else could a man get away with borrowing money from a plasterer or using FAS money for hair salons.

Lots of places. We're by no means the wackiest country when it comes to electing dubious characters.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Not having a go at anyone here, but we, as Irish, who are supposed to be of laid back nature, seem to get pissed off at the stupid dumb sh*t out there.

Our government has spent 10 years making a bollox out of our country.. that's cool, let's vote in Fianna Failure in again next year! :rolleyes:

You seem to be getting pissed at some of the dumb sh*t on this thread so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Don't patronise.
    I have never voted FF.

Lots of places. We're by no means the wackiest country when it comes to electing dubious characters.
    Brian Cowen. That is all.

Don't patronise.
    I have never voted FF.

Who's patronising? :P
    I'm generalising, and justifiably so as the majority voted and let them into power.

Please think before you type, Alan, thanks.

Brian Cowen. That is all.

Bertie Ahern was far worse
    Charles Haughey was worse than both of them combined, but the only one that was smart enough not to get caught while in power.

• Advertisement

Bertie Ahern was far worse
    Charles Haughey was worse than both of them combined, but the only one that was smart enough not to get caught while in power.
    Haughey is way before my time. But Cowen lost his first big test when he failed to bring in the Lisbon treaty.

Bertie failed to bring in the Nice treaty first time around too . Don't worry, the referndum will be shoe horned in in the next year, we'll be back in Europes inner toenail and the world will move on.
    RTE did a great job of smearing the no campaign by painting Ganley has a gangster, don't worry.

Haughey is way before my time. But Cowen lost his first big test when he failed to bring in the Lisbon treaty.

I think we'd be far worse off now had Lisbon passed to be honest. People think we're in the crapper now and "recession" is the new buzz word.

Fact is, this isn't a recession. I'm 32, which means i was alive and old enough to witness 1983 and 1984, when people were taking up two jobs to make ends meet, when people were going to banks with the keys to their houses and selling their cars for a crapload less than what they'd paid for to pay six months worth of rent.

THAT was a recession, what we're experiencing now is just people putting the clampers on, and spendaholics who can't handle being told to stop. :)

A recession in Ireland means people only get 2 holidays per year instead of 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Complacency did him in there. He sat on his hands expecting a Yes Vote with ease while more than one tabloid newspaper were driving influential No Vote Campaigns.

A recession in Ireland means people only get 2 holidays per year instead of 3.

And instead of having a month off between jobs, you have about 3-4 months. ;)

Well if you have a job that is....

Well if you have a job that is....

Depends on your profession, the jobs are still out there, employers are just being a lot more picky than they were. Primarily because they can afford to be picky now and they're not gonna hire any old munky for the money that's going. :)

I'm very young and I'm going to look stupid asking this question but what are the conditions needed for going on the dole ?
    Possibly for future reference*

I'm very young and I'm going to look stupid asking this question but what are the conditions needed for going on the dole ?

First you need to prove you don't have a big stash of cash in a bank account . Then you've to prove that you're available for employment and actively seeking employment.

• Advertisement

Oooh i'm not entirely sure on this one, it's been a fair few years since i drew it.

Unemployment, over 18, and if your parents are well off and you're living with them, you may not be eligable to draw it. Mate of mine had a visit from someone from the social due to his application and the fact that both his parents were working.

First you need to prove you don't have a big stash of cash in a bank account .

I think that's only if you've just come into the country and signing on, Alan. If you've just finished school or college that's not particularly a factor. And if you're just out of a job it's not much of a factor as you've earned your tax credits to make you eligible anyway.

Over 18, not workin, not in college. If your parents are on the dole and you're livin with them that speeds it up a lot.

I think that's only if you've just come into the country and signing on, Alan. If you've just finished school or college that's not particularly a factor. And if you're just out of a job it's not much of a factor as you've earned your tax credits to make you eligible anyway.

Nah, mate of mine had a few grand in his bank a/c and was denied dole or "jobseekers allowance" I think they call it now.

Nah, mate of mine had a few grand in his bank a/c and was denied dole or "jobseekers allowance" I think they call it now.

You're allowed a LOT more than a few grand in the bank. It would've been the father's income stopping him from getting it.

That's BS dude, sorry. The social welfare don't have a legal leg to stand on to view your bank records for a start. :)

amacachi wrote: »
    You're allowed a LOT more than a few grand in the bank. It would've been the father's income stopping him from getting it.

Fair enough, well he told me before that his grandad gave him a few thousand euro after he finished college. And said that he had someone from social welfare call to his house and wanted to see his bank statements. His da is a primary school teacher so I suppose it could've been that.

That's BS dude, sorry. The social welfare don't have a legal leg to stand on to view your bank records for a start. :)

Well they kinda do, you're meant to declare everything ya have.

amacachi wrote: »
    Well they kinda do, you're meant to declare everything ya have.

News to me, but it's been about 5-6 years since i last drew it, so unless they changed the rules since.

Alan - the chances are he was means tested on his parents income and they f*cked him on that.

• Advertisement

News to me, but it's been about 5-6 years since i last drew it, so unless they changed the rules since.

Alan - the chances are he was means tested on his parents income and they f*cked him on that.

I started drawin about 2 months ago, was asked about property, bank accounts, shares even :P

Although that was the one with no credits paid before, if ya have been working then it's not means tested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement