Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

amacachi wrote: »
    Although that was the one with no credits paid before, if ya have been working then it's not means tested.

Yeah, the clampers are coming down on new applicants, probably because a lot of foreign nationals who resided and applied (but then went back to their home country) were busted coming back in once a month to sign on via a cheap flight and coming over once a week to claim.

20 euro worth of 1c + taxes flights for about 200 euro, almost worth the trip really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Yeah, the clampers are coming down on new applicants, probably because a lot of foreign nationals who resided and applied (but then went back to their home country) were busted coming back in once a month to sign on via a cheap flight and coming over once a week to claim.

20 euro worth of 1c + taxes flights for about 200 euro, almost worth the trip really ;)

Can't be that many 1c flights to Nigeria :confused:

Can't be that many 1c flights to Nigeria :confused:

No, but there are several to polski land! ;)

Teh Polish are our friends :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah, read a lot about that, sure ya can't get into dublin from the M1 on a tuesday with all the taxi's bringing them in from the airport:rolleyes:

I got in just in time, took less than a week for me to get everythin sorted, i know lads who applied a coupla weeks after me still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I started drawin about 2 months ago, was asked about property, bank accounts, shares even :P

Although that was the one with no credits paid before, if ya have been working then it's not means tested.
    I first applied to sign on about 2 months ago myself, and I had no such problems.

It could have some thing to do with the difference between the Jobseekers Benefit and the Jobseekers Allowence. I know one is means-tested, and the other isn't. I'll be damned if I can remember which is, tho.

For me, it was a simple matter of giving them my work history, my P45, and some proof that I was seeking work.

Also (this could be useful to some), you can work up to three days a week and still collect. Your payment is reduced for each day you've worked (I think the take about 30 quid off) but its still a good bit of dosh.

And ShawnRaven, if you could point me in the direction of some of these jobs, I'd be totally grateful. :p

I think it's about 20hours a week you can work and then you can apply for a supplementary allowance. I've a mate who does 1 bleedin day a week in B&Q and I keep telling him he can get about ane xtra 100 euro or so a week.

And ShawnRaven, if you could point me in the direction of some of these jobs, I'd be totally grateful. :p

The usual places, just learn not to be so picky. :)

Such as ?
    C'mon, fill us in as to where the gold is dude :D

Resisting urge to vent frustration....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Such as ?
    C'mon, fill us in as to where the gold is dude :D

Local papers, Fas, and the internet, e.g monster, loadzjobs, and of course you can also try your local recruitment agency.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Local papers, Fas, and the internet, e.g monster, loadzjobs, and of course you can also try your local recruitment agency.

Yep
    It's actually scary as to how lazy some people are that they need it spelt out for them.

Its also scary when you've tried every route to get a job, including looking on the internet, in papers, scouring town for help-wanted signs, sending CVs to companies that aren't even advertising for positions and joining every recruitment agency you come across.

I first applied to sign on about 2 months ago myself, and I had no such problems.

It could have some thing to do with the difference between the Jobseekers Benefit and the Jobseekers Allowence. I know one is means-tested, and the other isn't. I'll be damned if I can remember which is, tho.

For me, it was a simple matter of giving them my work history, my P45, and some proof that I was seeking work.

Also (this could be useful to some), you can work up to three days a week and still collect. Your payment is reduced for each day you've worked (I think the take about 30 quid off) but its still a good bit of dosh.

The allowance is the means-tested one. I didn't have to provide evidence, I was just asked about everything for the form. Fairly sure they can me prove everything if they feel like it at some point.
    Yep
    It's actually scary as to how lazy some people are that they need it spelt out for them.

Not having experience is a pretty huge drawback tbh, I can't even get an interview for minimum wage jobs.

Not having experience is a pretty huge drawback tbh, I can't even get an interview for minimum wage jobs.
    Ah, would you be another one who has over-educated themselves to point where you are of no use to society? ;)

Ah, would you be another one who has over-educated themselves to point where you are of no use to society? ;)

If the leaving cert and one year of college is over-educating oneself then yes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its ironic that I quit college before the first years mid term and got given out to by my friends who stuck it out even though most of them hated it, now out of 6 of them 4 are unemployed and have never gotten a job even remotely associated with anything they did in college, whereas I've a ton of retail experience to assistant manager level and could pretty much get a job in any high street shop I wanted (if anyone actually had any jobs going that is), yeah an arts degree, that'll set you up for life:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Arts is so much fun though and opens up doors internationally. Wouldn't swap it for 3 years in retail ever. If you get a degree you jump anyone in retail and go straight into management if you want

What's the difference between an Arts degree and a large pizza?
    -A large pizza can feed a family! AAHHA!

Meh, I was doing a degree in finance and for various reasons it didn't work out.

Probably go back and do somethin else next year, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Who would you most like to punch into the face?

For me it would be that fella from Little Britian, Wicky Woo Des Kay. I realise it's a fictional character but he still wrecks my head with that ****ing crocodile puppet he has

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Franky Muniz (Malcolm from Malcolm in the middle) dunno what it is about the guy beat damn! his face is just so punchable IMO frankie-muniz-gf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Arts is so much fun though and opens up doors internationally. Wouldn't swap it for 3 years in retail ever. If you get a degree you jump anyone in retail and go straight into management if you want

Guh? so you're telling me HMV will hire someone as a manager who has a degree in art history over someone with a load of retail experience behind them? pish, my ex was constantly nagging me to go back to college and I never did, she slogged it out in low paying part time jobs while nearly killing herself to get a business degree, I think she works in a centra now :D

There's a difference between "arts" and "art history". Big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

krudler wrote: »
    yeah an arts degree, that'll set you up for life:rolleyes:

It's like anything really. No matter what your education is if you don't have a reasonable attitude to work to go with it, you wont go very far. However, the better educated you are, the more options it tends to give you.

I did a degree in Arts and it gave me the oppurtunity to do a post-grad in Primary teaching which I wouldn't swap for the world (except maybe when I am on yard tomorrow when it's freezing cold!).

Vince, I've a mate studying to be a primary teacher. He's finding it quite tough at the minute. He's a load of teaching practise to do that he's not getting paid for obv. along with loads of essay work . Says he can't get the dole , he was working doing some sub. work but he's had to quit that to do the teaching practise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Vince, I've a mate studying to be a primary teacher. He's finding it quite tough at the minute. He's a load of teaching practise to do that he's not getting paid for obv. along with loads of essay work . Says he can't get the dole , he was working doing some sub. work but he's had to quit that to do the teaching practise

Becoming a teacher was the hardest thing I have ever done. I did it with Hibernia and the course was brutal.

Tell him to hang in there and not look too far ahead. If he has a boards account, he's welcome to PM me about anything.

He's da's a teacher so I think he's got plenty of support on that front. It sounds very hard just from what he's told me and there's hardly much respite in the old "ah sure, you're set up for life then" what with the FF hatchet job to the education system and all that. Interestingly enough he also did an Arts degree which led on to a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Franky Muniz (Malcolm from Malcolm in the middle) dunno what it is about the guy beat damn! his face is just so punchable IMO frankie-muniz-gf1.jpg

Wow, thought he was chester from linkin park there..
    Ever see that episode of punk'd with him? That alone is enough for me to want to knock him out!
    Gerard.C wrote: »
    Who would you most like to punch into the face?

That 9 year old on youtube who can play guitar hero PERFECTLY. Hate that guy...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Becoming a teacher was the hardest thing I have ever done. I did it with Hibernia and the course was brutal.

Tell him to hang in there and not look too far ahead. If he has a boards account, he's welcome to PM me about anything.

Im training to be a teacher atm too and your not wrong about how hard it is, we were informed itd be 70+ hours a week when we started and they werent joking. im at the end of my first placement now and the damn disease carrying lil backstards ( i mean darling children) have passed on their recent illness to me just when i cant afford any abscences, Arrgh! my head and now i have to teach them a music lesson and sing a song to them even though im totally tone-deaf.

Supply teacher in today is hot though:D and I am the only guy working here ;)

• Advertisement

Supply teacher in today is hot though:D and I am the only guy working here ;)

Ah sure, sexual harassment in the public sector workplace for the win I suppose ?! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement