Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

The Cush wrote: »
    No, any DTT receiver carrying the Saorview certified logo has been independently tested by Teracom and conforms to the Saorview spec. Saorview certified receivers could also be freeview or freeview-HD certified, TNT France certified, TDT Spain certified etc. etc.

Saorview certified receivers could also be freeview only certified or freeview-HD certified, it will depend on which tuner is installed DVB-T or DVB-T2. Freeview-HD receivers will receive the Irish DTT channels and are used by some members here.

If you live in an overspill area a Saorview/freeview-HD certified TV (none available yet) or freeview-HD certified will be required to receive both services incl MHEG-5 for digital text/red button.

Saorview = DVB-T/MPEG-4
    Freeview = DVB-T/MPEG-2
    Freeview-HD = DVB-T2/MPEG-4

Right so, I am just catching up with all this now and it isnt all straightforward at all.
    I thought tnt hd sets didnt have mheg 5 so wont ever be certified.
    I live close to border so think i might get freeview hd sometime in future, therefore a saorview certified tv may or may not be any use to me, it seems to depend on whether it has DVB-T2 or not then.

How will i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

To cover yourself for the UK completely, you'll need a Freeview HD set since Saorview is DVB-T but the Freeview HD channels use DVB-T2 so a Saorview set should only ever allow you to watch UK Freeview SD channels only

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jonnygee wrote: »
    I thought tnt hd sets didnt have mheg 5 so wont ever be certified.

TNT HD certified receivers could also be certified for many other countries' DTT services UK, Germany, etc. etc. Go to any TV retailer and look at the stickers on the TVs, they will carry conformance logos for various DTT services around Europe. When a person installs a new TV they will select their country which will install the features applicable to that country's DTT service.

If the TV is freeview certified MHEG-5 is activated if the UK is set as the install country, if the same TV is also TNT-HD certified and installed with France set as the country on install, MHP and not mheg-5 is activated. Different options are activated depending on the install country.

Manufacturers can submit the same model TV to as many conformance testing labs as they wish and if it passes the testing it can carry the logo for that country's DTT service.

Previously on the boards people were advised to purchace TNT-HD certified receivers because they were 100% MPEG-4 (not all freeview ones are), if they were also freeview certified and UK was used as the install country, MHEG-5 was available. If Ireland was selected on install MHEG-5 was probably not available because it was not Saorview (MHEG-5) certified.
    I live close to border so think i might get freeview hd sometime in future, therefore a saorview certified tv may or may not be any use to me, it seems to depend on whether it has DVB-T2 or not then.

How will i know.

It will carry the freeview-HD logo (with or without the Saorview logo).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Thanks guys,
    It,s clearer now ,but still complicated and will be more so for the many people that are not techicnally aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Would i be correct in thinking that any saorview sets sold here from now on will actually be freeview hd sets with a soarview sticker added. Is it correct that freeview hd sets can do saorview but offical saorview sets (current specs.) cant recieve freeview hd, so for eventual freeview hd overspill current saorview spec sets wont be enough.
    AFAIK
    Freeview HD sets can be use to watch SAORview channels.
    SAORview sets will not be able to received Freeview HD
    Freeview HD is DVB T2 system with backward compatable to DVB T1 MPEG2 & MPEG4
    SAORview is DVB T1 MPEG4 system

*Unless the sets is having SAORview sticker but is also having T2 system then it can be use to watch Freeview HD channels

I hope I am correct in this, but I am sure someone will tell me otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And Saorview can watch basic Freeview, but not vice versa

Also you actually have to be able to receive the Irish, Uk or both, for appropriate reception.

Souriau wrote: »
    AFAIK
    Freeview HD sets can be use to watch SAORview channels.
    SAORview sets will not be able to received Freeview HD
    Freeview HD is DVB T2 system with backward compatable to DVB T1 MPEG2 & MPEG4
    SAORview is DVB T1 MPEG4 system

*Unless the sets is having SAORview sticker but is also having T2 system then it can be use to watch Freeview HD channels

I hope I am correct in this, but I am sure someone will tell me otherwise

You're correct, made the same points in my posts above.

I would expect to see Saorview/Freeview-HD certified receivers in due course from the likes of Sony.

watty wrote: »
    And Saorview can watch basic Freeview, but not vice versa

... unless of course the freeview certified receiver is MPEG-4.

My two freeview certified Sony TVs are MPEG-4 and have no problem receiving the Saorview channels. One of them also does MHEG-5 digital aertel.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

You're correct, made the same points in my posts above.

I would expect to see Saorview/Freeview-HD certified receivers in due course from the likes of Sony.
    I saw al other posts after I posted this, somehow was time delayed... sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Guys,
    I'm not the most technical minded female on the planet unfortunately and I've been reading a lot of what has been written on this thread and a few others, but think i've read so much that i've confused myself so please go easy on me.

I bought this tv, the Samsung LE40C530

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=5296259

I seem to be picking up saorview ok but i keep reading about MHEG-5 and i'm confused as i can not see any mention of it in my TV specifications. Am i right to assume that as i can pick up Saorview the tv is fine??
    Sorry guys i know you are probably fed up with this sort of question, and thanks in advance.

chasm wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=5296259

I seem to be picking up saorview ok but i keep reading about MHEG-5 and i'm confused as i can not see any mention of it in my TV specifications. Am i right to assume that as i can pick up Saorview the tv is fine??
    Sorry guys i know you are probably fed up with this sort of question, and thanks in advance.

MHEG-5 is an additional piece of software in some but not all digital TVs. It's used to display the new digital Aertel and may be used in future for other "red button" interactive features. It's not always included in the list of TV specs.

It is nice to have but not essential and will not prevent you watching the TV channels. TVs that do not include MHEG-5 will display traditional teletext.

My brother has a 22" Samsung which will displays regular text on the 4 regular channels but MHEG-5 digital text on RTÉ News Now and the RTÉNL test channel but that appears to be peculiar to his Samsung TV model.

MHEG-5 will probably be available with UK selected as the region/country when the tv was first installed/setup but could mess up where the channels are placed, in the 800's.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

marks and spencers today, their christmas gifts display.
    Appears to be still for sale in UK also:
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/22-Ready-LCD-Freeview-trade/dp/B003QR9EBK?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_2&sr=1-2&qid=1289038921&pf_rd_r=112X198XWKWG5AF95PKY&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=79450031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

No indication on their website or instore that it has an MPEG4 tuner.

c2a76.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Saorview = DVB-T/MPEG-4/MHEG-5
    Freeview = DVB-T/MPEG-2/MHEG-5
    Freeview-HD = DVB-T2/MPEG-4/MHEG-5

DVB-T2 is backwards compatible with DVB-T
    MPEG-4 is backwards compatible with MPEG-2

Looking at this is there any reason not just to go for FreeviewHD and forget the rest.

If you have any likelyhood of receiving NI TV after 2012 when power increased and HD starts, or NI or Welsh TV today, get "FreeviewHD".

Why is Saorview not "Freeview HD" spec? Because the DVB-T2 is "brand new" first tests I think in late 2009. Saorview Tests and spec much earlier.

DVB-T2 isn't needed here. (Main extra in Freeview HD).

Some Manufacturers have had a strange narrow interpretation of "Freeview". I'd want someone else to be the "Freeview HD" Guinea Pig on Saorview.

You might get a Saorview certified box/TV cheaper than "Freeview HD" TV/Box today or next month or so. I'd imagine by launch in spring 2011, that due to large market and increasing demand and Fake HD Ready/ Full HD sets (Freeview only, so never ever HD via tuner) getting sold off that the "FreeView HD" will be norm for UK TVs. Since UK is simulcast HD/SD there is still going to be SD "freeview" only box demand in UK as well as "Freeview HD" and "Freeview+ HD" (PVRs) as add-on for HDTVs that have no HDTV tuner.

It's possible some TVs and boxes will be Saorview & "Freeview HD" certified over next 6 months.

It's very early days.

Only ACTUAL "Soarview certified" will be supported by OTA RTE NL automatic firmware updates. That might be important.
    Some UK "Freeview HD" might only use UK Interactive video streams and Internet content via ethernet socket. Even though RTE NL is using EXACTLY UK MHEG. That's an unknown.

RTE NL are not making full use of the MHEG5 yet and may not do so for several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

MHEG-5 is an additional piece of software in some but not all digital TVs. It's used to display the new digital Aertel and may be used in future for other "red button" interactive features. It's not always included in the list of TV specs.

It is nice to have but not essential and will not prevent you watching the TV channels. TVs that do not include MHEG-5 will display traditional teletext.

My brother has a 22" Samsung which will displays regular text on the 4 regular channels but MHEG-5 digital text on RTÉ News Now and the RTÉNL test channel but that appears to be peculiar to his Samsung TV model.

MHEG-5 will probably be available with UK selected as the region/country when the tv was first installed/setup but could mess up where the channels are placed, in the 800's.

Thank You ;) my tv does show a different form of text on the DTV channels alright, i have only had it a few days so am only just learning about all the different functions and gizmos on it and i was a bit worried that i may have just blown money on something that was going to prove useless.

Some Manufacturers have had a strange narrow interpretation of "Freeview". I'd want someone else to be the "Freeview HD" Guinea Pig on Saorview.

Black Briar is one of those "guinea pigs", he has a freeview-HD certified Sony TV which is receiving both the Saorview and freeview channels with all channels and their schedules appearing in the epg and MHEG-5.

Someone else here reported recently using a Humax freeview-HD PVR to receive and record the Saorview channels.

BostonB wrote: »
    Looking at this is there any reason not just to go for FreeviewHD and forget the rest.

There are differences between the Saorview (Nordig) and Freeview-HD (D-Book) minimum receiver specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Volcane

Black Briar is one of those "guinea pigs", he has a freeview-HD certified Sony TV which is receiving both the Saorview and freeview channels with all channels and their schedules appearing in the epg and MHEG-5.

Someone else here reported recently using a Humax freeview-HD PVR to receive and record the Saorview channels.

I too have a Sony Freeview HD TV (kdl40ex503u) and am recieving Saorview without any problems (yet!). It seems that the TV is designed for more than just Freeview HD so I hope there won't be any problems with Saorview red button features thats if I'm ever likely to use them. The TV supports BBC iplayer over the ethernet connection and I hope that it will also work with the RTE player.

Technically RTE Player and BBC iPlayer could be the same type of thing. However, the widgets will be pre-programmed with a BBC URL so your only hope is if you can possibly setup some form of Proxy Address to route the connection to use a UK IP Address.

Any chance of RTE Player would require an RTE Widget

chasm wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm not the most technical minded female on the planet unfortunately and I've been reading a lot of what has been written on this thread and a few others, but think i've read so much that i've confused myself so please go easy on me.

I bought this tv, the Samsung LE40C530

I have the exact same TV, set to Ireland, and MHEG-5 worked out of the box.

But they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Karsini wrote: »
    I have the exact same TV, set to Ireland, and MHEG-5 worked out of the box.

Manufacturers differ, consumers suffer.

Samsung not a member of CEDA and they get it right in the Irish profile.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Thinking of buying one of these over the weekend:

http://www.lg.com/ie/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LD450.jsp

Not exactly an expert:D but I cant see any mention of mpeg 4, but the power city site advertises it as 'Irish Digi TV ready'.

How can I be sure?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Hi just a quick question .Reading through the threads i see alot of problems comeing up about the panasonic tvs for irish dtt.I am thinking of buying a new lcd tv from my local retailer which stocks panasonic should i avoid at get a different maker ie samsung or sony.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

ya most samsung and lgs have mpeg 4

If you want a Panasonic, wait until 2011 models appear given the Irish models and which seem to have problems with both sound and MHEG-5

C

dobsdave wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one of these over the weekend:

http://www.lg.com/ie/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LD450.jsp

Not exactly an expert:D but I cant see any mention of mpeg 4, but the power city site advertises it as 'Irish Digi TV ready'.

Yes, it's MPEG-4.

Google 32LD450 + MPEG-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

championc wrote: »
    If you want a Panasonic, wait until 2011 models appear given the Irish models and which seem to have problems with both sound and MHEG-5

C
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Hi just a quick question .Reading through the threads i see alot of problems comeing up about the panasonic tvs for irish dtt.I am thinking of buying a new lcd tv from my local retailer which stocks panasonic should i avoid at get a different maker ie samsung or sony.Thanks
    I know no-thing re one manufacturer against the other, so I'm sure someone with more know how can give you info as to which might be a better choice TV. You don't say which size & what budget you have. I for one am one of those that settled for a Panasonic a few months ago (TX-L42D25L) before I became aware of the issues re DTT on these forums. While I am very concerned how my TV will comply with Saorview as time moves on, I have a TV which has BBC & ITV HD with a excellent picture. RTÉNL DTT tests are really nice & the HD test looks sweet. It also has more gizmos than you can handle. If you're not too rushed to purchase, I suggest that you hold off till hardware with the official "Saorview" badge arrives on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

The Return under "sales of goods" and EU & Irish Law will apply to Analogue only TVs as they are not fit for purpose
    * Don't get all Irish Channels
    * Now Analogue will be off in just under two years.

Surely this depends on what that purpose is. If the stated purpose is reception of analogue TV you don't have a leg to stand on. The fact that anaogue will be off in under 2 years is irrevelovent. The set will still receive analogue (say from a VCR modulator).
    If the stated purpose is the reception of all Irish TV that is a different matter.

You wouldn't reject a radio because it doesn't have DAB which is exactly the same arguement.

• Advertisement

You would if FM was turned off. Which isn't happening.

There is no excuse for shops selling TVs over €200 that are not going to pick up a TV signal in less than 2 years time. Or Digital /Analogue sets with out a LARGE sticker:
    "The Irish Digital System is Publically available and near the end of 2012 Analogue TV will be turned off. The Digital tuner in this set will Never work in Ireland. This TV will need a separte Set-box"
    If it's HD or HD Ready and Freeview
    "This TV is ONLY an HD montor via HDMI (or VGA/DVI if fitted). It can never receive Irish or UK HDTV with the tuner or via SCART".

It's fine if they sell them...
    But they must warn the user, on EACH set and in Store:
    Only HD monitor. Never ever HD via analogue tuner or Freeview Tuner
    Analogue is completely getting turned off before end of 2012
    Your VHS or DVD recorder will only play tapes/discs after 2012, it can't be used as tuner.
    A Saorview Set-box, or optionally a "Freeview HD" box is needed to get Widescreen or HD on this TV today. It's really just a Monitor Screen as Analogue does not have Widescreen or HD or all the Irish Channels.

The Government has made a mess of this. They should have told Shops in Jan 2010 at latestest that November would be cut off date for selling a non-compliant TV, with out big warning labels that it requires a Setbox. (UPC, Sky, Freesat, Soarview or whatever) and will be unsuitable for an aerial by late 2012 and doesn't get Widescreen today, which is WS on Digital RTE and TG4.

Advertisement