Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Mine is the 40ex403.
    I don't have that problem as such.

However I notice that sometimes if I am tuned to the saorview channels and I scroll down to the uk channels in the epg,the channells are listed with no epg information.
    However when I select the uk channel,the full 7 days epg info immediately repopulates.
    The problem doesn't work in reverse and is only a minor nuisance,presumably caused by some wierd saorview setting or other.
    It happens on my sony w4000 aswell.

Presumably clicking the i button in that scenario would pull up the error your parents are see'ing.
    They shouldn't be getting that error if they only have saorview and no freeview,I'd imagine so don't know the story in that case.
    Yes anything after now and next has no information, it usually shows a snippet of the information on the epg before you press info but even that doesnt show anything and when you press information it just says event not valid, Not sure what the problem is ,I updated the tv aswell the moment I got it.

I didn't update mine.
    Is this with the tv country setting as Ireland or the UK?

I didn't update mine.
    Its set to Ireland as the country.
    Dont recieve freeview in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paudge61

Hi
    I have a (UK model) Panasonic TX-32LZD81 with Freesat and DTT. I lost all the channels about a year and a half ago but thanks to posters on boards I got them back through the hotel.pwd file. Since then I've rescanned without problem and received the new news 24 channel, the HD trial and TV3.

Yesterday in a different room with a dtt box bought in France during the summer I noticed 3e had arrived so today I went to retune the Panasonic and ... lost every thing again. Using my old hotel file from last year I can only get the two RTE's and TG4 back.

Does anyone have a more up to date hotel file for this TV please? I'm in north Dublin - I think Channel 54 - 3 Rock.

paudge61 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a (UK model) Panasonic TX-32LZD81 with Freesat and DTT. I lost all the channels about a year and a half ago but thanks to posters on boards I got them back through the hotel.pwd file. Since then I've rescanned without problem and received the new news 24 channel, the HD trial and TV3.

Yesterday in a different room with a dtt box bought in France during the summer I noticed 3e had arrived so today I went to retune the Panasonic and ... lost every thing again. Using my old hotel file from last year I can only get the two RTE's and TG4 back.

Does anyone have a more up to date hotel file for this TV please? I'm in north Dublin - I think Channel 54 - 3 Rock.

I'm not sure if you'll get one with 3e included, they changed the service types before 3e was added.

• Advertisement

I didn't update mine.
    Tried retuning the channels but it still says "event data is invalid" ,I hope this will work in the future but its not looking good at the moment, obviously some issue with the tv itself :(

Peirn2 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, puts my mind at ease.

Has anyone had any experiences with Hannspree's quality of picture and longevity?

Cheers.
    I've no experience with Hannspree but do with their PC monitor division Hanns.G. I use a 19" DVI monitor in work and the picture quality is excellent, no problems with colour separation or the like. I've had to deal with their returns department on two occasions (for two separate users) but there was no issues, they sent a courier out with a new monitor and took back the faulty one.

As they're the same company I can only guess Hannspree would be the same.
    rsmike wrote: »
    I finally got around to purchasing my new TV.

My local Curry's had a good limited time deal on the Samsung LE40C530 at €480 (apparently back up to €550 today), so I went with that.

Very happy with the quality and features at this price point. Truly plug and play also, the only thing I had to do was select Ireland rather than UK before it searched for channels, It picked up all the Irish DTV and analog channels. EPG for DTV works fine also.

I got the same TV back in August, you got yours €100 cheaper than me. Hasn't let me down at all, MPEG-4, MHEG-5, HE-AAC and full EPG all supported even with the Irish profile.

Is anyones signal off at the moment?
    My Saorview signal went off in both tvs in the household and it has since come back on in my tv but in my parents tv the signal is still of, it says no signal.
    They said its been going on and off a few times in the last few days.
    But i find it strange how its back on in my tv and its still off on their tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Anyone know if the latest offering from Aldi will receive the Irish DTT? I notice there's no mention of MPEG4.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15067.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-11-19-11-15

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

Pangea wrote: »
    Is anyones signal off at the moment?
    My Saorview signal went off in both tvs in the household and it has since come back on in my tv but in my parents tv the signal is still of, it says no signal.
    They said its been going on and off a few times in the last few days.
    But i find it strange how its back on in my tv and its still off on their tv!

Hi
    I have the same TV as Black Briar. (40ex403)
    I Did not update anything, It worked fine straight out of the box.
    7 day epg and automatically tunes in new channels. Eg 3e just appeared automatically on the epg.

Why did you need to update your parent's TV?
    What did you update it with ?

Saorview is working fine today in Drogheda.

• Advertisement

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have the same TV as Black Briar. (40ex403)
    I Did not update anything, It worked fine straight out of the box.
    7 day epg and automatically tunes in new channels. Eg 3e just appeared automatically on the epg.

Why did you need to update your parent's TV?
    What did you update it with ?

Saorview is working fine today in Drogheda.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I updated the tv just because I wanted it to be up-to-date with the latest firmware.
    I updated it via USB , I download the latest firmware from sony.co.uk.
    Also plus the 40EX401 that I have myself would not pick up saorview until I updated it.
    Im in SW.Donegal and I do appear to have low signal strength, maybe this is the issue.
    P.s When I was installing saorview via my ps3 a few months ago it said I only have 33% signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

peking97 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the latest offering from Aldi will receive the Irish DTT? I notice there's no mention of MPEG4.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15067.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-11-19-11-15

No. Mpeg2

Just did a rescan and the channels on the parents ex403 and the pictures have appeared back , after the signal went out earlier the pictures never came back on even though the epg was still there and everything and just said no signal. Strange indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

Thanks for your reply.
    I updated the tv just because I wanted it to be up-to-date with the latest firmware.
    I updated it via USB , I download the latest firmware from sony.co.uk.
    Also plus the 40EX401 that I have myself would not pick up saorview until I updated it.
    Im in SW.Donegal and I do appear to have low signal strength, maybe this is the issue.
    P.s When I was installing saorview via my ps3 a few months ago it said I only have 33% signal.

I hope that you have some luck with getting the 7 day EPG on it.
    It would be good if you could try the TV in someones house that has a strong signal before asking Sony to replace it.

You payed good money for your TV. So I would send it straight back if all the functionality's did not work correctly.

All The Best

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

peking97 wrote: »

They have been trying to sell these off for months they and (Lidl) must have a warehouse full but don't or won't send them back to the U.K. as they are all mpeg2 .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Just did a rescan and the channels on the parents ex403 and the pictures have appeared back , after the signal went out earlier the pictures never came back on even though the epg was still there and everything and just said no signal. Strange indeed.

Have you tried updating it through the internet Lan socket on the back as I did this recently on my Sony blu ray player 18 months old and it updated perfectly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

John Dough wrote: »
    They have been trying to sell these off for months they and (Lidl) must have a warehouse full but don't or won't send them back to the U.K. as they are all mpeg2 .:(

Avoid Aldi and Lidl until they stop dumping this crap on the market here and if in there for any other purpose give out to them.

If you bought a telly there in the last year bring it back...no need for a receipt or box even. Demand your money back because it said digital TV on the box and it will not receive a digital TV signal.

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    I hope that you have some luck with getting the 7 day EPG on it.
    It would be good if you could try the TV in someones house that has a strong signal before asking Sony to replace it.

You payed good money for your TV. So I would send it straight back if all the functionality's did not work correctly.

All The Best
    Somehow I dont think the signal strength is affecting the epg problem seeing as the other sony tv picks up the 7 day information no problem.
    It is a shame its not working.
    Im still hoping that sometime in future it might start working , I guess its up to my parents whether it should be looked at by the sony crowd or not. I dont understand why its not working because the information epg for now and next is working perfect.
    Tried the tv in my room and the 7 day information didnt show up in my room either.
    John Dough wrote: »
    Have you tried updating it through the internet Lan socket on the back as I did this recently on my Sony blu ray player 18 months old and it updated perfectly.

Thanks I just tried that with the lan socket, it didnt update anything , probably because it is update from the usb I had a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Argos are selling these. 19 and 22 inch versions. Nice TV with integrated DVD player but WILL NOT WORK ON IRISH DTT. Back it goes tomorrow. Maybe if retailers get enough of returns ther will actually start to consider selling something that actually works here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This from a Power City advert in Thursday's Irish Times, good basic info from them.

4khely.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I see my local Aldi has cut the price of it's "monitors" drastically to shift old stock. 19" FreeView €79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I see my local Aldi has cut the price of it's "monitors" drastically to shift old stock. 19" FreeView €79

Are they any good just as PC monitor?

I doubt that monitor takes VGA and maybe not even HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The sign said "monitors" but the box said FreeView. Presumably they have copped that they can't sell them as TVs. I didn't look at the technical specs but noticed that the larger 22" had USB PVR functions also. If you were within FreeView range and weren't bothered about SaorView they might be useful as 2nd / bedroom sets.

I should add I have no links with Aldi.

If you were within FreeView range and weren't bothered about SaorView they might be useful as 2nd / bedroom sets. I should add I have no links with Aldi.

Absolutely Gerry, they could be sold in Monaghan and Donegal and places where they might work ( and with a warning sticker) . They might even work in SE Wicklow and Wexford.

Selling them in Galway Cork and Limerick as a TV is taking the piss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Any time I had a look at Aldi and Lidl TV's. they always seemed to have a PC VGA port

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BostonB wrote: »
    Are they any good just as PC monitor?

Low resolution for a 19" :)
    For a PC.

HDTV is only "medium" resolution on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

A 19" PC monitor (Wide) would probably be limited to a max of 1440x900 but a TV with vga port would be even less at 1366x768 unless it can be used with an HDMI port.
    I always thought it was better to keep the two separate, TV for TV and PC monitor for PC rather then mix and match but if your only using it internet or non high res stuff then it wouldn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

fkearney wrote: »
    Argos are selling these. 19 and 22 inch versions. Nice TV with integrated DVD player but WILL NOT WORK ON IRISH DTT. Back it goes tomorrow. Maybe if retailers get enough of returns ther will actually start to consider selling something that actually works here

Argos had no problem refunding the money. Lady told me that it was the 3rd in the last 2 days and phoned the UK to make them aware of the 'issue' .

Checking out SoundStore , they clearly indicate what has and has not MPEG4. Unfortunately the same can not be said for ' Harvy Norman'. They we very vague and when I pushed it they said that such a feature was only required on TV's that would not be on Choras or SKY. Anyway nither the Finlux or Hisense TV's that they have support MPEG4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

They are now aware of the spec.

Advertisement