Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pcmike

I bought a Sony in 2009 and specifically asked for a unit to receive the upcoming Irish digital signal. Obviously I was sold a pup as the unit only handles MPEG2:(. Sony have washed their hands of it as they claim the 'Sony shop' was only a franchise and as they are now closed down I cannot pursue them for a refund or a new set. I have a satellite dish and my local channels come from an analog cable. I wonder if there is a satellite decoder that would also handle the digital input for my Sony and thus avoid a second set top box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

pcmike wrote: »
    I bought a Sony in 2009 and specifically asked for a unit to receive the upcoming Irish digital signal. Obviously I was sold a pup as the unit only handles MPEG2:(. Sony have washed their hands of it as they claim the 'Sony shop' was only a franchise and as they are now closed down I cannot pursue them for a refund or a new set. I have a satellite dish and my local channels come from an analog cable. I wonder if there is a satellite decoder that would also handle the digital input for my Sony and thus avoid a second set top box?

I bought this through adverts.ie and find it great. I also found the guy here to be helpful in setup even though I hadnt bought off him directly. This does both satellite & free to view and also includes the various free UK HD channels. The price new is good vaue - I paid close to that on adverts.ie.

http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Combo/Edision-Argus-mini-2-in-1-IP-Combo-HD-Satellite/DTT-Receiver/prod_72.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pcmike

Thanks Dixiefly, I'll look it up tomorrow. I found a TRIAX ST-HD527CI
    Digital Combo SAT/TER HDTV set top box with embedded Conax and CI while searching but I dont know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The Edision is a German make & good quality.The guy at Saor TV is Paul. I think there are a few threads in which the Argus mini is discussed & you might get more infor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

watty wrote: »

You might get a Saorview certified box/TV cheaper than "Freeview HD" TV/Box today or next month or so. I'd imagine by launch in spring 2011, that due to large market and increasing demand and Fake HD Ready/ Full HD sets (Freeview only, so never ever HD via tuner) getting sold off that the "FreeView HD" will be norm for UK TVs. Since UK is simulcast HD/SD there is still going to be SD "freeview" only box demand in UK as well as "Freeview HD" and "Freeview+ HD" (PVRs) as add-on for HDTVs that have no HDTV tuner.

While DVB-T1 MPEG4 HD Ready or FULL HD sets will never receive UK 'Freeview HD' through a tuner, are there any such sets which are unable to display the current RTENL HD tests?

To put it another way, has anyone bought a HD TV recently which works for the Saorview SD channels, but not for the Saorview HD tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

i've emailed Lidl, to see what they have to say for themselves!!!

this thread is becoming very long, and for anyone new coming to look for information it is probably very off-putting to search through to find TV's currently working with the Saorview trial.

What are your views on creating a new thread/sticky with brands and model numbers of TV's currently working?? People I know are unsure of what to buy - not everyone can source a Walker box or set, but we know that several LG/Samsung/Sony sets are good to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Most of the stickies are pretty useless now. In my opinion we should have just one sticky for the forum rules and one for FAQ. The FAQ sticky should be locked and just provide the basic information and links to discussion threads.

The FAQ should deal with questions like :-

Freesat V Freeview V Saorview - A brief description of what each is and then a link to a discussion thread.

Saorview on PC, What is required - A brief description of what's required, followed by a link to a discussion thread.

Saorview - Receiving sound but no picture, what's wrong ? - A brief description of what is the issue, followed by a link to a discussion thread.

Digital Aerial/Aerials what is required - A brief description of what is required and where to get the info, followed by a link to a discussion thread.

DTT/SAT Combo boxes/TV's - List of current confirmed working box, EPG and recording capabilities. Link to discussion thread.

Saorview receivers official & unofficial but confirmed working - List and Link to discussion thread

Deal with all the usual suspect in the same way as above.

The amount of threads discussion the same thing is crazy, The current stickies are monster threads out of control .

Just my opinion

600 posts for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think the list should say MHEG5 recommend as it's mandatory in the Spec and all UK "freeview HD" do it.

The TV should be identified as MHEG5 or not.

The list should indicate if the TV does DVB-T2 for UK HD. (Reception from Wales and IOM now, N.I. in 2012).

It should indicate if there is ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

the beautiful philips 9000 series has a built in dtt tuner and thanks to a fixed aerial today, ive picked up a **** load of english channels and all the irish ones too. happy days

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »

Saorview on PC, What is required - A brief description of what's required, followed by a link to a discussion thread.

A really good PC or Laptop and buy the right USB stick that has all the software included. Run CD, Plug in USB stick and aerial and go :)http://www.techtir.ie/reviews/mobidtv-dual-usb-dtt
    jobyrne30 wrote: »

Digital Aerial/Aerials what is required - A brief description of what is required and where to get the info, followed by a link to a discussion thread.

No such thing as a Digital or HD aerial http://www.paras.org.uk/

sesswhat wrote: »
    While DVB-T1 MPEG4 HD Ready or FULL HD sets will never receive UK 'Freeview HD' through a tuner, are there any such sets which are unable to display the current RTENL HD tests?

To put it another way, has anyone bought a HD TV recently which works for the Saorview SD channels, but not for the Saorview HD tests?

Plenty of Full HD sets won't even receive SD Saorview.

wreckless wrote: »
    the beautiful philips 9000 series has a built in dtt tuner and thanks to a fixed aerial today, ive picked up a **** load of english channels and all the irish ones too. happy days
    Aha! and it all started on the late late show a rainy Halloween night in the rte reception difficulties southeast thread.
    Glad you got sorted with your presely wales reception down in Gorey.
    Spread the word amongst your neighbours,there are so many people still that think their uk channels went last year when in fact,they are still there along with the irish digitals if they have a working aerial and an mpeg4 telly.
    ok lots have satelite now but they can have this option too,it's so handy and for multiroom,it's a treat!

Can you sort the channels in whatever order you want on the phillips 9000 series [they are a mighty telly] like you can on the sony's?
    You probably can if you dig deep in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Can you sort the channels in whatever order you want on the phillips 9000 series [they are a mighty telly] like you can on the sony's?
    You probably can if you dig deep in the menu.

yeah, im haven a look at the settings to see if there is. so much on this beast, should be. The rescan did pick up a load of crap alright, need to remove, delete and sort out

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

watty wrote: »
    Plenty of Full HD sets won't even receive SD Saorview.

Maybe, but those are not the ones I'm asking about.

Has anyone bought a HD TV recently which works for the Saorview SD channels, but not for the Saorview HD tests?

There are plenty of HD TVs, from Samsung, Sony and Philips for example, which are not 'Freeview HD' but which are Mpeg4 capable, and which have been working well with the Saorview SD tests. Are any of these now having problems with the HD tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

sesswhat wrote: »
    Maybe, but those are not the ones I'm asking about.

Has anyone bought a HD TV recently which works for the Saorview SD channels, but not for the Saorview HD tests?

There are plenty of HD TVs, from Samsung, Sony and Philips for example, which are not 'Freeview HD' but which are Mpeg4 capable, and which have been working well with the Saorview SD tests. Are any of these now having problems with the HD tests?

Just waiting for delivery of my new Panasonic G20B (UK Model). It's a TV with dual tuners - 1 x Freeview HD (DVB-S2) and 1 x Freesat HD (DVB-T2). It was confirmed by other Boardies at the weekend that this set is perfect and working for everything (at least so far - and not much left to possibly change either). So a cracking set and possibly the most future proof that you can possibly get with plenty of flexability too.

C

How much was that set delivered and where from?
    I presume you've mixed up the t2 and s2 there above.

While I thought it was just DVB-S, it would appear that Freesat HD is DVB-S2 so it's T2 and S2.

Check out Seamus Watters - http://www.watterselectrical.co.uk/ - STG£675 which includes 5 year warranty and delivery to Dublin. Mind you, he said he has the P42G20B for just £700 which is probably better value if you can fit it. RS works off an NI distributor pricing so not as keen as the UK price. So Watters is a better bet I believe. Just over the border (NW of Dundalk) so not far if probs too.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

championc wrote: »
    While I thought it was just DVB-S, it would appear that Freesat HD is DVB-S2 so it's T2 and S2.

Check out Seamus Watters - http://www.watterselectrical.co.uk/ - STG£675 which includes 5 year warranty and delivery to Dublin. Mind you, he said he has the P42G20B for just £700 which is probably better value if you can fit it. RS works off an NI distributor pricing so not as keen as the UK price. So Watters is a better bet I believe. Just over the border (NW of Dundalk) so not far if probs too.

C

What exact model did you order championc? Presumably smaller than 42" from the above. I had a quick Google of Panasonic model numbers but I'm not sure what the complete G20B range actually covers, or if all the sizes have the same features.

Sounds like a great option, let us know how well it works when you have it set up.

I'm getting the L37 (LCD 37"). There's a P50 (Plasma), P46, P42 and finally L32. Should have it tomorrow and will play over the weekend and report back.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Seems kind of pricey! Power City have the 32" Sony V5810 (Freesat & DTT) at 550 euro. It's a great set, but I don't think they have it in 37".

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Check out Seamus Watters - http://www.watterselectrical.co.uk/ - STG£675 which includes 5 year warranty and delivery to Dublin. Mind you, he said he has the P42G20B for just £700 which is probably better value if you can fit it. RS works off an NI distributor pricing so not as keen as the UK price. So Watters is a better bet I believe. Just over the border (NW of Dundalk) so not far if probs too. C

Can't believe what I saw in Currys Limerick today...the TX-P42G20B and the price...Eur 1999.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

marclt wrote: »
    i've emailed Lidl, to see what they have to say for themselves!!!

Got a response back, I've posted it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056080113&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Just sent this to RTÉNL ~ one wonders what kind of response if any I will get in return.

"To Whom It May Concern:

I would appreciate if you could provide me with an answer to the following. At what date did the published document entitled “Minimum Receiver Requirements for Free-to-Air Digital Terrestrial Television for Radio Telefis Éireann” Version 1.0 Issue 1 Date: 2008-12-19 become mandatory/compulsory for manufacturers offering IRD televisions/set top boxes for sale in the Republic of Ireland?"

Response:
    Further to your email below, the specification referred to is the specification that manufacturers should follow if they wish to provide DTT products to the Irish market. It is not mandatory. Further information on the specification is available on www.rtenl.ie and further information on receivers compatible with Irish DTT is available on www.saorview.ie.

At the moment RTE operates two free to air television networks – the analogue network, which is used to set the minimum standard for TV sets in Ireland currently and their new digital network which is being rolled out at the moment and which will replace the analogue network at the end of 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Response:
    Further to your email below, the specification referred to is the specification that manufacturers should follow if they wish to provide DTT products to the Irish market. It is not mandatory. Further information on the specification is available on www.rtenl.ie and further information on receivers compatible with Irish DTT is available on www.saorview.ie.

At the moment RTE operates two free to air television networks – the analogue network, which is used to set the minimum standard for TV sets in Ireland currently and their new digital network which is being rolled out at the moment and which will replace the analogue network at the end of 2012.

What name is at the bottom of that response Machinehead ?

It is hardly a helpful response given the nonsense of British retailers still stocking MPEG2 products. Given RTE NL pubnlished the first draft of the spec in 2008 what was the point ?

The question now is when will it be mandatory for digital products to be offered? Given that RTE "launched" the service in 2010 wouldnt it be desirable for them to have products on the market so that consumers can watch the service that will have cost 70m ?

Perhaps only black and white Tvs should be still sold. When will it be practical to have availability of products ? Is it when analogue is switched off ?

I'm getting the L37 (LCD 37"). There's a P50 (Plasma), P46, P42 and finally L32. Should have it tomorrow and will play over the weekend and report back.

C

Well all,

I've just setup my TX-L37G20B. I've got all my Saorview Channels, Radio Stations and all the Freesat stations so everything is as I hoped. And no sound issues as expected too. And as for MHEG-5, I suppose I was expecting the Teletext to still look like Teletext so now I understand what the MHEG-5 is. The Teletext is like an information system and the channel was displayed on screen in a box to the side of the info displayed.

I've UPC Broadband arriving in the morning and that will be connecting to the Ethernet socket so hopefully a few interesting things to see there when connected.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Samsung LE32C530
    Hanspree HSG1113

Tested my two TV's today and both can get the RTEHD test channel and the regular other channels plus 10 or so radio stations. The Hanspree has old teletext which if my memory serves is down to it been TNT HD, the Samsung has new type which has the channel still viewable on the right next to the the more graphical teletext. I'm guessing that means both are compatible, the Samsung been the better with MHEG-5(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Currys and power city are now selling at good prices freeview UK tv's with dvbT2 decoders.I bought one which is working brilliantly with irish and UK dtt.I'm delighted with it.
    The freeview hd epg is picture in picture [just like the new sky hd epg] and puts RTE etc in the 800's when set to UK but crucially puts everything on the one epg...no switching to a different sat epg or any of that mullarkey for the UK channels.
    The EPG is so fast too and so snazzy looking!
    Black Briar,
    My parents have this tv now ,the 32ex403 ,however one issue I have noticed ,the information epg for programmes after now and next just says event not valid or something like that.
    Do you have this problem?
    I have now purchased the ex401 and the epg information is working perfect up to 6 or 7 days in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Samsung LE32C530
    Hanspree HSG1113

The Hanspree has old teletext which if my memory serves is down to it been TNT HD,

The Hanspree is freeview certified which means MHEG-5 text is available when the TV is installed with UK set as the country/region (see here under Hannstar Display Corp televisions - SJ series).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

^So wait, disabled when set to Ireland?
    I'll have another look tomorrow and see if i missed something.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement