Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects are out!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ironclaw wrote: »
    You can only have 14 plus the front and back cover. Which is a total of 16 pieces of paper. I've heard they won't mark any other pages if you go over. Its 14 pieces of paper with info. Thats it.

No your wrong, 14 project pahes, front and back cover and you can have an appendix then aswell with such vital information as made up internet links in my case!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

timmywex wrote: »
    No your wrong, 14 project pahes, front and back cover and you can have an appendix then aswell with such vital information as made up internet links in my case!

Appendix should be realistically the last piece of paper, i.e. The back page.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

when is the project due btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

timmywex wrote: »

We were told that you could have 14 pages plus a cover page and an appendix by our teacher aswell because they don't really have anything to do with the outputs of the project i.e. you are not going to be marked on them but you still have to include them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

don101 wrote: »
    when is the project due btw?
    Friday March 6th.

I just have 2 more pages of sketching to do and then I'm more or less finished... can't wait to get it over with!

• Advertisement

Jello wrote: »
    Friday March 6th.

I just have 2 more pages of sketching to do and then I'm more or less finished... can't wait to get it over with!

grand! i have all the sketching and stuff to do in the next few days! our teacher is a lying scumbag! we got our brief a few weeks late and when i said that to him, he said that the friday the 6th deadline we were given accounted for a additional two weeks! the arsehole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hopper91

hi want to know asap is there some sort of electronic signature on all the work you do on the compuer work??

hopper91 wrote: »
    hi want to know asap is there some sort of electronic signature on all the work you do on the compuer work??

we've been told there is, so i wouldnt go about getting an engineer to model your docking station! :) electronic signatures in nearly everything so its not even worth the risk getting someone else to do it for you!

yea tats wat we were told to but my teacher lies and no1 believes him.. so u would say just do it in school??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

we were shown how they check it, and it can definetly be checked. There may be some ways around with but unless you know what your doing to get around it, you would have to do it in school.

• Advertisement

Des23 wrote: »
    we were shown how they check it, and it can definetly be checked. There may be some ways around with but unless you know what your doing to get around it, you would have to do it in school.

can you tell me how to check it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

They can check the metadata , and Signatures / serials / licenses on all the solidworks files , same for the microsoft word files , there is a command to print all the times / computers it was edited on . I really wouldn't chance it.

I'm fairly sure if it is found you have done any of it at home you will get a no grade for DCG in you leaving.

I'm fairly sure if it is found you have done any of it at home you will get a no grade for DCG in you leaving.

Don't know if its that or dismissal from the whole LC,
    And if the teacher signed off on the work saying it was all done in school , His job is also at risk.

papu wrote: »
    Don't know if its that or dismissal from the whole LC,
    And if the teacher signed off on the work saying it was all done in school , His job is also at risk.

Our DCG teacher told us that he had a load of trouble over a construction project before and he refused to sign it off and there was a load of hassle. So I mean it could happed, its just not worth the risk for the computer drawings anyway. A bit of the the writing on sheets etc. could be done at home because its virtually impossible for a teacher to keep track of the intricacies of every project. It's a different story for computer stuff though.

Our DCG teacher told us that he had a load of trouble over a construction project before and he refused to sign it off and there was a load of hassle. So I mean it could happed, its just not worth the risk for the computer drawings anyway. A bit of the the writing on sheets etc. could be done at home because its virtually impossible for a teacher to keep track of the intricacies of every project. It's a different story for computer stuff though.

Yeah its only really the Cad stuff , the rest has to be scanned / photographed into a PDF file and then the location of the work on the sheets becomes untraceable. I'm bricking it , Allot of work to get done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

They can check the metadata , and Signatures / serials / licenses on all the solidworks files , same for the microsoft word files , there is a command to print all the times / computers it was edited on . I really wouldn't chance it.

As I will continue to maintain no one who has actually gone looking for any of this information in the files has actually found it.
    There is some information that identifies the computer however it is not extravagant and it certainly doesn't pin it down totally.
    The department of education is simply saying this so that we don't do the work at home.

That said however just in case those of us who has looked for this information are wrong I still wouldnt chance it. I just believe that if the department were telling the truth on this there would be some evidence in the file or in the form of a program that would easily display this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

For a start, if you right click a feature and select properties, it shows the username of the person that created it, time created and time last edited. I'd imagine there is a full log of all this within the program, but it's not readily accesible

I would have to agree, solidworks is a program that is used in proper industry, i know we only have the student version but things like logs etc are probably a necessity in the industrial world. I mean it might not be readily accessible to us but I'm sure there would be ways of getting stuff. I mean the stuff that can be taken from peoples computers in unreal, if you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

In the end though, how realistic is that the examiner will check every sketch and feature of every part of every project?

• Advertisement

Heggy wrote: »
    In the end though, how realistic is that the examiner will check every sketch and feature of every part of every project?
    Better safe than sorry though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Heggy wrote: »

They ain't. They would have about 300 scripts, imagine that each CD load took 15 seconds to boot, and then to open, and then to check... Its a huge amount of time.

And no, you can't pin an exact computer to an exact username. A username means nothing because there is nothing to say that a student has that username on a school computer.

Don't worry about it. I'd be more worried if the files were digitally signed using a decent encryption system (e.g. RSA / PGP). The very fact the project is on a CD opens up problems.
    As I will continue to maintain no one who has actually gone looking for any of this information in the files has actually found it.

Open the file with Notepad, its as clear as day. But you can't edit it.

To sum it up, if you obviously put alot of hard work and effort into your project and every aspect reflects that, then only Hitler would mark you down for that one Solidworks file you happened to draw a part of at home.

ironclaw wrote: »
    They ain't. They would have about 300 scripts, imagine that each CD load took 15 seconds to boot, and then to open, and then to check... Its a huge amount of time.

And no, you can't pin an exact computer to an exact username. A username means nothing because there is nothing to say that a student has that username on a school computer.

Don't worry about it. I'd be more worried if the files were digitally signed using a decent encryption system (e.g. RSA / PGP). The very fact the project is on a CD opens up problems.

No but , I'm sure they are going to take sample selections from all the Projects , Just like they do from the examiners . There are definitely ways of identifying if the solidworks files are used on one or more computers and also times modified , thus if your working on your files on saturdays , or after school ect.
    To sum it up, if you obviously put alot of hard work and effort into your project and every aspect reflects that, then only Hitler would mark you down for that one Solidworks file you happened to draw a part of at home

Im goin to have to disagree , everything is done very strictly , especially with projects , Sure they can't go looking for marks round you up grades , if ANY of the project is found to be done at home , I don't even want to think of what will happen

On a side note , The photorealistic rendering in Solidworks 06(07)? is Horrible..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its too late now but just do the solidworks files on the computers ins chool and all other things can be done at home if wanted!

thus if your working on your files on saturdays , or after school ect.

There's nothing wrong with this surely?

*edit*
    Submitted post, cancelled and wrote some more stuff, but it was posted anyway.:rolleyes:

but does anyone know how to view all the info about your solidworks??

We've worked on files on saturdays and after school, but on the school computers, which our teacher has signed for.
    I get the feeling that if they look, they're going to find a lot of people with stuff done at home, due to various factors, like unknowing teachers. There's going to be so much that there'll be outcry if anything is done, and I think, that if people are going to get away with it, this is the year it's going to happen. That said, I wouldn't want to bank on that fact. All my computer stuff has been done in school so I'm not too worried.
    But I don't doubt the possibility of it all changing next year.

OK!!!! so u haven a clue how to get the info... how do ya get the photo realistic background???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Ok I retract my previous comment and apologize for it.

I had another look at the files and there is actually a way for the examiners to known if the work was done on a different computer (Sort of). At the end of the file it contains a list of all the directories the Solidworks files had been saved in. This would show a complete different folder structure as the schools computer will not be set up in the same way as your own.

As for usernames they should be a discerning factor as the school was supposed to set up a user account for each student. (Some schools have not done this and it is will probably not be used.).

Also I have to agree with others time is not a discerning factors as my class has remained behind after school and come in during the mid term to do work on the project. This was done under the supervision of our teacher and should be allowable.
    Time also wont work as the time on computers wont necessarily be accurate.

Advertisement