Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects are out!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Is anybody doing a JVC dock and if so how did you get the logo onto it or is there a font that's close to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gamer91

Has anyone got the sample exam papers ? and where did you get them because i cant find them anywhere !

P.S This course is a piece of balls

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheehy898

Yeah we got the exam papers from our teacher,but there by folens so they should be in the shops aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

The sample paper the department issued is on examinations.ie
    Here

I don't know if any other companies have made any other samples based on this one. Like when the department introduces any course they have totally messed up what was supposed to be done.
    In this case there are 2 examples :
    1) Sample exam paper was delayed several times.
    2) They should have made teachers start the project as soon as they received it. (Some schools in my area still haven't started it. Some of those have never done anything with computers. I cant see how they are going to get it done.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CoolBreeze

gamer91 wrote: »
    Has anyone got the sample exam papers ? and where did you get them because i cant find them anywhere !

P.S This course is a piece of balls

http://www.t4.ie/DCG_Round_7/Sample_Papers/DCG%20Sample%20paper%20HL.pdf

http://www.t4.ie/DCG_Round_7/Sample_Papers/DCG%20Sample%20paper%20OL.pdf

They're the links for both the ordinary and higher DCG sample papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

the mock paper is absoloute sinch anyway so dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

the mock paper is absoloute sinch anyway so dont worry
    Not everyone does the same mock. Also, the mock is not necessarily representative of the real exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

normally in new subjects the board themselves send it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

it would be allot easier if we didnt have to split classes between drawing and trying to do this silly project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

We better get an easy paper in June cos this course has turned into a bit of a mess tbh.

• Advertisement

Well its a new course and generally because of that its going to be marked slightly easier anyway. We are simply the ginnie pigs for the new course.

I expect that the deadline for the project will be extended again anyway.

Another question I have is are we doing our exam in June on A2 or A3 paper. The department sample paper suggests that it will be A3 paper however according to my teacher that has not been decided yet. Considering we should be practicing on what we will be using in June it is cutting it quite close.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Metamorphisis

I'm almost finished my DCG project, but then i saw someone in this thread saying that you have to give the links for all of the pictures you use... is this true? are there any other things like this that you have to do? where did people find out that you have to do this? my DCG teacher is worse than useless so i have to find out pretty much EVERYTHING myself... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MacGuinness

yh you have to reference all the pictures and you have 2 do ALL the solidworks drawings in school
    i did my solid works drawing at home it has loke 30 parts and it has 2 b compleatley redrawen in school because the examiners can check when the part was drawen and if it was drawen outside of the school time than u are feked

i did my solid works drawing at home it has loke 30 parts and it has 2 b compleatley redrawen in school because the examiners can check when the part was drawen and if it was drawen outside of the school time than u are feked

That is a ton of incorrect information that is being thrown at us by the department of education. The Solidworks end user agreement does not make provisions for this and so it is not included in the program.

If you done believe me have a look yourself at any of your parts the only information stored that could link to back to the computer it was made on is;
    1) The directory it was in on the computer it was produced. (This may be original directory or last saved I haven't checked).
    2) The date and time the file was created.
    3) The date and time the file was last saved.
    4) The username of the account on the computer you are using.

Some points on the above.
    1) This could be anything as we haven't been told to do it in any particular way.
    2&3)This is wrong on several of the computers in my school as the time does not sync with the server (Who ever set our server up did a terrible job) and so the department cannot use this a factor in deciding when it was done as in some cases it will be extremely off.
    4) In my school this is our name (First letter of first name followed by last name). I thought we are supposed to be a number to the examiners. I would be interested to know how other schools have this setup. The user name can also be falsified so its not valid either.

I am not saying they defiantly cant tell it which computer it was done on but from the information I have found it is unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I'm almost finished my DCG project, but then i saw someone in this thread saying that you have to give the links for all of the pictures you use... is this true? are there any other things like this that you have to do? where did people find out that you have to do this? my DCG teacher is worse than useless so i have to find out pretty much EVERYTHING myself... :(

I wouldn't think that there is a need for links to pictures from the web, I certainly am not giving a link and neither are the rest of my class. Do you think the correcter will look for links to pics, I dont think so!

eoccork wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that there is a need for links to pictures from the web, I certainly am not giving a link and neither are the rest of my class. Do you think the correcter will look for links to pics, I dont think so!

I would read carefully over the instructions we received with the brief for the project. Point 7 states.
    "When using research sources including the Internet, the sources must be acknowledged. Research material copied directly from the Internet or from other sources and presented as your own will not receive any marks"

They have left provisions in the project guidelines to not give any marks in the case they discover you have not disclosed they images or any other information were from another source outside of yourself.

The sample project also gave the links to the images it had used. It is better safe than sorry in this case. It would be terrible to lose marks for a otherwise good project because you didn't enclose links to your sources with the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

1) The directory it was in on the computer it was produced. (This may be original directory or last saved I haven't checked).
    2) The date and time the file was created.
    3) The date and time the file was last saved.
    4) The username of the account on the computer you are using.

I wouldn't worry about that. In the DCG handbook it says each student should have their own account and user name. We don't have a server, it doesn't work so I amn't worried. The files arn't digitally signed an extreme degree so there is alot of scope to argue if you are deemed to have done it outside of school. Plus your teacher and principal signs it off at the end, that means more that a file stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I would read carefully over the instructions we received with the brief for the project. Point 7 states.
    "When using research sources including the Internet, the sources must be acknowledged. Research material copied directly from the Internet or from other sources and presented as your own will not receive any marks"

They have left provisions in the project guidelines to not give any marks in the case they discover you have not disclosed they images or any other information were from another source outside of yourself.

The sample project also gave the links to the images it had used. It is better safe than sorry in this case. It would be terrible to lose marks for a otherwise good project because you didn't enclose links to your sources with the project.

Interesting. May I ask how did you incorporate the link of the picture into the presentations, like did you leave the link below the picture or something? Or did you use another means to acknowledge it?

On any of the pages where I used a new image (Only the 1st and 2nd in my case) I labeled the image with the name of that docking station. Then I put a text box on the sheet with the name of the docking station and the link to the source.

In the case I used information from that source a second time I didnt put it on the sheet again as I had already done so previously. I expect that for next years project they will make this a lot clearer than it was this year.

I'm nearly finished! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Just a point on the time information, if you are a bit conscious about having the times right and doing it in school, you can copy and paste your sketches into the new file, and they will come up as having just been created.
    We are sticking to that because our teacher is a bit of a worrier, but we copy and paste all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darkface

i have my project done with the measurement mm,
    is there any way to change it to inches without re-do it?

darkface wrote: »
    i have my project done with the measurement mm,
    is there any way to change it to inches without re-do it?

why would you want to?

You'd probably lose marks if you put it in inches. They arnt SI units

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darkface

one of my classmates said that the ipod should fit in the docking station but the mearsurement doesnt fit,but if i change it to inches that will work.
    (do i need to make up an ipod or mp3 for the docking station?)
    (if i leave it as mm will that be ok?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

I need a modification for my docking station. I spent ages trying to think of one and when I finally did i found out a couple of days later that someone else in my class had that modification done before memad.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif
    I really need helpconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

one of my classmates said that the ipod should fit in the docking station but the mearsurement doesnt fit,but if i change it to inches that will work.

Inches and MM are the same thing. There both a measurement. A mile is a mile, a kilometer is a kilometer. Changing between the two shouldn't change anything. It will still be the same width in inches or mm. You probably converted one to the other wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Annie2 wrote: »
    I need a modification for my docking station. I spent ages trying to think of one and when I finally did i found out a couple of days later that someone else in my class had that modification done before memad.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif
    I really need helpconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Just because someone else has the same mod doesnt mean you cant! :D

Im nearly finished! :D Have all the pages done pretty much, 17 pages in total, 14 for project, cover page, back cover, and appendix with all the references!

timmywex wrote: »
    Just because someone else has the same mod doesnt mean you cant! :D

Im nearly finished! :D Have all the pages done pretty much, 17 pages in total, 14 for project, cover page, back cover, and appendix with all the references!

You can only have 14 plus the front and back cover. Which is a total of 16 pieces of paper. I've heard they won't mark any other pages if you go over. Its 14 pieces of paper with info. Thats it.

• Advertisement

What measurements are you using for the ipod? For a classic it's like 68x110 by 10.5 depth for the 80gb. Can give you exact measurements when I'm in school that's from memory

Advertisement