Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Despite getting a good few hours of fun out of it I regret buying this game as it pisses me off most of the time.

For the exclusive reason that I always get stuck with total retards. They're blocking my potential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yeah people usually either run ahead and ignore the team, or lag behind and get pounced or smoked. Actually the latter occurs often with the former, resulting in swift pwnage. Ugh. And then you have the teams that split up when the Tank appears. :mad: Also the morons who shove the hunter once, allowing him to attack again. Plus the people who panic with the boomer every time and end up splattering everyone else. And what about those people who just NEVER wait for you to heal and never notice a hunter ripping the sh*t out of you.

Ah well... as time goes by, I'm sure more people will get used to it and improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ah well... as time goes by, I'm sure more people will get used to it and improve.
    No, because as time goes by, there'll surely be another reason for huge influxes of noobs to sign up because of the half price weekend, the "huge content update" or special offer somewhere down the line.

Ugh, pubs suck. I usually cant be arsed playing unless mah good buddy is on the same team. I turn nasty, thankfully i dont have a headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This is why I don't play versus any more. Come to think of it, it's why I don't play the game any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Valmont wrote: »
    For the exclusive reason that I always get stuck with total retards. They're blocking my potential!

'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools, indeed'n 'tis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

'Tis a poor workman who blames the tools, indeed'n 'tis...

fyp :D

Yeah it's lost a lot of appeal for me. If you play each campaign enough, even on the hardest difficulty, you get to learn all the possible scenarios and blitz through the game. Complete n00bs don't add to the variety, they just add to the frustration.

They NEED to make this game easier for the community to develop for. They need to come out with a decent deathmatch format, of team A against team B without the requirement of having to make a linear point A to point B map. 8v8 deathmatch with 4 infected & 4 survivors per team would be perfect.

Yeah, they have had more than enough time to mix things up a bit. I really don't understand why they don't follow the same TF2 strategy and periodically release updates to the game - new weapons, maps, game types. It actually reinvigorates interest amongst a flagging community and tweaks the curiosity of any potential new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

L31mr0d wrote: »
    fyp :D

Yeah it's lost a lot of appeal for me. If you play each campaign enough, even on the hardest difficulty, you get to learn all the possible scenarios and blitz through the game. Complete n00bs don't add to the variety, they just add to the frustration.

They NEED to make this game easier for the community to develop for. They need to come out with a decent deathmatch format, of team A against team B without the requirement of having to make a linear point A to point B map. 8v8 deathmatch with 4 infected & 4 survivors per team would be perfect.

I can't see that working. The survivor team would camp, making it near impossible for the other team to do anything. Think every other Zombie mod out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I can't see that working. The survivor team would camp, making it near impossible for the other team to do anything. Think every other Zombie mod out there.

Also a straight DM wouldn't work, the survivors have to be going somewhere so they can be split up and held up and picked off.
    Boss Infected have so little health too, scores would be Over 9000 - 0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

L31mr0d wrote: »

T'is not for you to decide who will be immune when the zombie apocalypse is upon us. Gonna have to make do with whatever myopic jerks also happen to be immune. :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, they have had more than enough time to mix things up a bit. I really don't understand why they don't follow the same TF2 strategy and periodically release updates to the game - new weapons, maps, game types. It actually reinvigorates interest amongst a flagging community and tweaks the curiosity of any potential new customers.

Apparently they're planning on releasing content for both the 360 and PC versions at the same time. That's gotta be throwing a spanner in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I love this game, its so much fun. I'm not even that good at it either, i must be the nightmare player to play with as i keep wasting medipacks :p

I dunno, I think the "Come on you idiot!" factor makes the game more intense. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I dunno, I think the "Come on you idiot!" factor makes the game more intense. :p

I think what it is is that I end up barking orders at the n00bs, and then I become that nob that I hated playing with when I first started playing. It makes it more intense alright, the urge to not shoot my team mate in the head with a shotgun and then steal his medpack because I know my life is worth using it on :D

Basically they need more game modes, I think my 8v8 idea would work if it was in a capture the flag or king of the hill format. Like that level in HL1 DM where you had to get into the bunker, bring the shutters down and then everyone outside got nuked, something like that.

I can imagine a boomer running with the flag! "Blughh!"

Trouble in server browser on PC.

L4D servers - as though a switch was flipped one day - stopped returning games with low ping. Generally, all I can find now are games with latency > 200 when I do a search in the 'internet' tab. I can find low ping games in the 'custom server' tab so am wondering if anyone could suggest a 'fix' for this issue?

I fired up Team Fortress 2 and was easily able to find a ton of servers with latency below 100. A more popular game, I know, but like I said, one day was getting a bunch of low ping L4D servers... the next day, none. :confused:

I also tried another copy of L4D on my other PC and it's the the same problem - so I don't imagine a re-install is the answer.

Check out the L4D steam forums

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fnz wrote: »
    Trouble in server browser on PC.

L4D servers - as though a switch was flipped one day - stopped returning games with low ping. Generally, all I can find now are games with latency > 200 when I do a search in the 'internet' tab. I can find low ping games in the 'custom server' tab so am wondering if anyone could suggest a 'fix' for this issue?

I fired up Team Fortress 2 and was easily able to find a ton of servers with latency below 100. A more popular game, I know, but like I said, one day was getting a bunch of low ping L4D servers... the next day, none. :confused:

I also tried another copy of L4D on my other PC and it's the the same problem - so I don't imagine a re-install is the answer.

Could be a number of issues, what sort of apps do you run in the background and do you use a router?

Also, make sure Steam download location is set correctly along with your DL speeds.

Could be a number of issues, what sort of apps do you run in the background and do you use a router?
    Avast! anti-virus suite and Comodo firewall - that's about the size of it. I don't run anything else whilst playing, and certainly nothing other than what I was using when I was getting offered lower latency server servers a fortnight ago.

I use a wireless Linksys router. The same one I use when getting decent ping in TF2 and, again, in L4D up until a fortnight ago.
    Also, make sure Steam download location is set correctly along with your DL speeds.

Download location was set to UK so changed that to Ireland. I have a 5Mb internet connection but the closest option the steam app offers is '2M' so have selected that.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I seem to remember there was an update to Comodo a while back, maybe this is causing your problems. The best thing to do would be to run the game while temporarily and systematically disabling any suspicious apps one at a time.

• Advertisement

Delete the Clientregistry.blob

Look, im a steamforums mod... WOOoooo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Joining random games can be annoying because you get the worst possible team mates who haven't got a clue how to play. I prefer playing over LAN with my friends, that way you know you're going to have a good game and not be stuck with three 13 year olds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I seem to remember there was an update to Comodo a while back, maybe this is causing your problems. The best thing to do would be to run the game while temporarily and systematically disabling any suspicious apps one at a time.

Indeed, and maybe also delete then re-add steam.exe to your firewalls exception list.

Look, im a steamforums mod... WOOoooo! :D

LOL Blob!

Indeed, and maybe also delete then re-add steam.exe to your firewalls exception list.

Dunno if I'd be able to recognize a 'suspicious' running processes- but it looks ok to my eyes.

Removed and replaced both Steam.exe and left4dead.exe. Tried server search with Comodo firewall disabled - same result.

Guess I should take my query to the Steam forums, as suggested. :)

Tried that. Also re-routed encryptions through the DNS regi-bank... to no avail!

Well, if it makes you feel any better my server search wont refresh details on TF2. I never know how many people are on the server. But as I generally play on the same one I really haven't bother to investigate it much.

It seems that a number of Steam users are having issues connecting to the Friends Network at the moment, and as a result cannot play L4D online.

Valve are aware of the problem and are investigating it, so if you are having issues connecting to online servers then sit tight and it should be sorted soon.

I guess it does not help that most of Valve are on a company holiday at the moment.:)

This has happened a good few times, friends server goes down, synch server goes down etc. Followed by the game servers themselves. Does this happen to any other game? I think I wasnt able to play CSS once since i started playing ages ago.

Its always when you want a game too.. And it seems to be region specific.

This has happened a good few times, friends server goes down, synch server goes down etc. Followed by the game servers themselves. Does this happen to any other game? I think I wasnt able to play CSS once since i started playing ages ago.

Its always when you want a game too.. And it seems to be region specific.

It only happens with SteamWorks games that use the new server browser which is integrated to the friends network. If the friends network goes down then players cannot join servers. Empire: Total War also used it for example.

Often the maintenance is planned as Valve are looking at the way the friends network works and how we connect to servers, however what occured today was not planned.

It has just been sorted in anycase.:)

• Advertisement

Good, I was just asked did i want a game of L4D. The only thing that really grinds my ****ing gears is the fact that they announce nothing...

I assume LAN games could be affected by this?

Advertisement