Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, they fixed it about a week ago. Apparently Eircom's network had something of a bottleneck at Portlaoise which got ugpraded.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Stephen wrote: »
    /shakes fist at DoW traitors

JOIN US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've actually been playing a lot of World at War lately, have to say I'm not really interested in DOW2 despite having well over a thousand games clocked on DOW/Winter Assault online....

Will probably try play a bit of L4D again in the next while, tried playing a game with a few randomers last night and its just ****. Any extra news on the new content?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

New content still not out :(

Also..for the first time today since patch....teams got switched after a round...i thought this bug was fixed :o:(:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the single player like?

• Advertisement

Not great, its just you vs bots. This is really a multiplayer only game, the single player experience is only really useful for learning how it works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

hmm,the reason I asked is because my net connection is fairly dodgey,i.e it disconnects me every so often :-/.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't think it would be worth a purchase simply for single player. There is maybe 10 hrs playtime in single player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

So would it be fairly useless on midband speeds 1mb/ps - 4mb/ps ??

No it'd be fine, assuming you're not on a 3G connection or something. What you need is low ping rather than high download speeds.

• Advertisement

wont be getting this anytime soon my rig is after dieing on me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

CutzEr wrote: »
    So would it be fairly useless on midband speeds 1mb/ps - 4mb/ps ??

I mostly play it on 1mb eircom BB over the wireless and its playable (far from perfect for obvious reasons but its mostly pretty good)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I mostly play it on 1mb eircom BB over the wireless and its playable (far from perfect for obvious reasons but its mostly pretty good)

I remember when eircom BB was first released, think it was the backend of 2004 .....that it was 512kbps , and that was fine for online gaming.

Cant see 1-4mb being a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I remember when eircom BB was first released, think it was the backend of 2004 .....that it was 512kbps , and that was fine for online gaming.

Cant see 1-4mb being a problem

It's the upload that is the problem... 128k upload (on the 1Mb account) will lag you out in some games (especially when used with voice comms). L4d is fine for me though on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Illkillya wrote: »
    It's the upload that is the problem... 128k upload (on the 1Mb account) will lag you out in some games (especially when used with voice comms).

Is that true? Experienced my first serious lag when 2 people were playing on the one connection.

I should have a 5 Mb download and (supposedly) 384 Kb upload speed. Though speedtest.net returns this result:

404440940.png

... would the upload speed be the problem or could it be that I have had interleaving removed from my line?

^^ That's pretty much bang on for the speeds you quoted. You have plenty of upstream bandwidth for L4D. We you playing a non-dedicated server by any chance? That always results in horrendous lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Fnz wrote: »

404440940.png

... would the upload speed be the problem or could it be that I have had interleaving removed from my line?

404532268.png

My upload speed is almost identical to yours and I experience no lag (though I don't use VOIP). You should be fine.

^^ That's pretty much bang on for the speeds you quoted.

You reckon? Thought the upload was a bit slow, even accounting for the quoted figure - actual speed droop. :D
    You have plenty of upstream bandwidth for L4D. We you playing a non-dedicated server by any chance? That always results in horrendous lag.

I thought 300 kb would be grand for 2 people too - perhaps the problem was a once (twice) off. We were using the best available server in the server browser - latency was probably < 90.

My upload speed is almost identical to yours and I experience no lag (though I don't use VOIP). You should be fine.

Only thing I can think of is that I asked for interleaving to be removed from the line to reduce my latency. I'll test 2 players a bit more before having it re-enabled. I use the in-game voice talk, aright, but player 2 didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For the 360 owners... finally a price-drop!

Just bought it there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

http://www.left4dead411.com/news/2009/02/new-game-mode/

Not much information in it, I'm afraid :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I keep getting kicked from servers for no apparent reason. My score would be about the same as the others, and I'd be playing normally, and then suddenly, "Kicked". One time a guy angrily said, "F**k you, Boomer" right before kicking me.

Anyone else experience this?

Sounds like you were playing on a server adminned by a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Sounds like you were playing on a server adminned by a twat.

Yeah but there must be SOME reason. Is any reason that new(ish) people to the game might get kicked? Is there some unwritten rule that I'm not following? I mean...it's not rocket science!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but there must be SOME reason. Is any reason that new(ish) people to the game might get kicked? Is there some unwritten rule that I'm not following? I mean...it's not rocket science!

Unwritten rule number 1: Never doubt how retarded the general public can be.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Update news.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/paid-left-4-dead-content-spring

Well if Valve want to kill this game stone dead this if true is the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

On that page:

"Update: Due to a miscommunication, we had updated the original piece saying that PC and Xbox 360 Survival Packs would be paid. However, Valve again contacted Edge to say that it hasn't ruled out the possibility of the price being "$0.00." Sorry for any confusion."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Oh Valve, your release date game has actually become kind of cute.

I really hope Survival isn't what I think it is. That being, survive against the waves of zombies for as long as you can...

I hope it's an uber realistic single player mode. Just you against the zombie horde, with no crosshair, a depletable flashlight a la AVP2, scarce ammo... ah yeah

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I doubt Valve will charge on the PC. There will be all kinds of rage if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I really hope Survival isn't what I think it is. That being, survive against the waves of zombies for as long as you can...

doesn't the game already have a survival mode? i.e. just play the finale of any campaign for as long as possible :D

They'd better not charge for it though. Even if they do, once the free SDK is released somebody will make a free version of it.

Advertisement