Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To counter that, I really hope Survival IS what I think it is. Hopefully on some new maps though, not the current ones - though that'd still do. New weapons would also be awesome, I always thought limiting to just 4 variants (pistol, shotgun/auto shotgun, rifle and sniper) was a bit lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I always thought limiting to just 4 variants (pistol, shotgun/auto shotgun, rifle and sniper) was a bit lame.

Yeah, they should at least give an upgrade for the pistol. A Desert Eagle would be nice.

For survival I hope they give you some form of stationary explosives like C4, claymores or mines. Although they probably won't. It's fairly balanced as it is at the moment with the petrol cans and gas canisters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A desert eagle wouldn't suit the game. It's not a zombie movie weapon. A .357, now that is a handgun you see a lot in zombie films and the power versus reload speed of the revolver would nicely balance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah, just a bit of variety would be nice. Finding weapons randomly around levels as opposed to getting them at the start in the same old predictable assortment would be far more rewarding. Not sure what other guns I'd put in, not that I'd be looking for loads more, but something like a new pistol, new assault rifle, and perhaps some other hitherto un-featured weapon like a support weapon. M60? I also have to say that the Sniper Rifle, as a class, is just so incredibly useless for 95% of scenarios....Something like an M14 with full auto and scope would be a far better replacement, at least then it could be used as a good hip fire weapon.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A .357, now that is a handgun you see a lot in zombie films

Eh... the .357 Magnum is a caliber of the Desert Eagle. Did you think I was talking about the .50 AE? I don't really care what deagle they put in it, just upgrade it like they do with the other weapons. I'd say most people would rather get one better pistol with a slightly larger clip and stronger impact than getting 2 pistols and using them akimbo (which looks quite naff tbh)
    I also have to say that the Sniper Rifle, as a class, is just so incredibly useless for 95% of scenarios....

The semi-auto sniper rifle is actually an incredibly underused weapon, it really comes into its own during the finales as you are sitting still for the majority and it can shoot through around 4 zombies killing them instantly. It's also very good against the tank. If you have 2 people griefing him with auto shottys, the other 2 can get into vantage points and hit him with the sniper rifles.

Moving and shooting with the sniper rifle is pointless as its just way too inaccurate. But during finales and trigger events its excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Eh... the .357 Magnum is a caliber of the Desert Eagle. Did you think I was talking about the .50 AE? I don't really care what deagle they put in it, just upgrade it like they do with the other weapons. I'd say most people would rather get one better pistol with a slightly larger clip and stronger impact than getting 2 pistols and using them akimbo (which looks quite naff tbh).

.357 isn't a very common caliber for the DE as far as my limited knowledge knows. Still a semi-automatic high caliber handgun isn't a traditional zombie movie weapon compared to the high caliber revolver.

I personally love the sniper rifle. It's surprisingly good against hordes since it shoots through enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Must try it out on my new game, I'll be using the Shotgun 99.99% of the time.

Can wait for mod of the Doom shotgun for L4D to be released.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    .357 isn't a very common caliber for the DE as far as my limited knowledge knows. Still a semi-automatic high caliber handgun isn't a traditional zombie movie weapon compared to the high caliber revolver.

I personally love the sniper rifle. It's surprisingly good against hordes since it shoots through enemies.

Edit:

I also want one of these in L4D

422772168_0bec363a7b.jpg

Brilliant. Trading in suspension of disbelief for pure awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

They'd better not charge for it though. Even if they do, once the free SDK is released somebody will make a free version of it.

The day Valve start charging for updates......
    Jesus, I can't even imagine it!
    Valve are by far my favourite game developers EVER, the amount of respect I have for them for the way they keep updating their games for free is unfathomable.

For Survival Mode, I'm thinking Horde Mode from GoW2. Sit in a semi-fortified building blasting away at reams of Z's.
    Good old fashioned family fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

for weaponds maybe a .44 Magnum or an AK47, though a novelty weapon of excellence would be a chainsaw, though i dont know how they could work it into the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Meh, id have left or kick voted after 3rd attempt tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

How odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

is this thread for the PC or Xbox version or both?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

event wrote: »
    is this thread for the PC or Xbox version or both?

Why not both? Valve want to keep the 360 version the same as the PC version.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anyone try it in Stereoscopic 3D yet?

PogMoThoin wrote: »

cool... although I don't have any 3D glasses :( anyone know where I could pick a pair up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

cool... although I don't have any 3D glasses :( anyone know where I could pick a pair up?

I've a pair lying around here, kids got them in last years Guinness Book of Records. I've not managed to get this working, I don't get a stereo tab in the Nvidia control panel :confused:

I've a pair lying around here, kids got them in last years Guinness Book of Records. I've not managed to get this working, I don't get a stereo tab in the Nvidia control panel :confused:

in the comments, someone recommended this as an alternative.

http://www.iz3d.com/t-dcdriver.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Rather than read through 64 pages siphoning out the gamertags, anyone up for a match on the Xbox 360 later on, probably from 9? I'll be playing splitscreen, gamertag is NunianVonFuch and I have 2 mics.

My connection has been coming and going since December but seems to have stabilized today so finally online Left4Dead again! :D

I'll setup a game on Normal on the airport level so if any of ye get back I'll add ye otherwise feel free to join just mention boards and I'll kick randomers! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why the hell is L4D still €44.99 on Steam? Isnt the whole point of digital distribution that games are cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Kiith wrote: »
    Why the hell is L4D still €44.99 on Steam? Isnt the whole point of digital distribution that games are cheaper?

You want:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476437

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, saw that and bought it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I had Stereo3D, 2 different types and not the crappy Red/Blue glasses.
    It (and everything else) is better in Triple Monitor Surround, really immersive.

left4dead-hud-T.jpg

Side of image screwed slightly as they are the left/right wraps arounds. The centre of the image with the HUD elements (me and others editied the HUD files to center them, see WSGF) are basically all you are seeing on a single monitor setup, no matter the size.

You position the left and right monitors at a slight angle, similar to the way an IMAX screen is curved. I run 3x 22" screens for 5040x1050 resolution, 4.8:1 Aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

After playing through the first 2 campaigns single player, played my first versus games last night. Ended up on some French server where everyone was actually pretty cool about my general rubbishness.

Then they all went to bed and I ended up on some other team at about my level - we got wiped out at the start of Mercy 4 with a grand total of 3% covered.

Have I missed something simple, or is there any way to play as the infected against human bots in single player? There's a bit of a learning curve and I don't like joining games at this stage where everyone else knows what they're doing and I muck things up for the rest of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No, if its zombies against 4 Cpu controlled humans they will never leave the saferoom. So won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

SeantheMan wrote: »
    No, if its zombies against 4 Cpu controlled humans they will never leave the saferoom. So won't work

Ah well, expect to see me on the boards.ie linked servers completely failing to kill anyone. Look on my works and tremble. With laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

MOH wrote: »
    After playing through the first 2 campaigns single player, played my first versus games last night. Ended up on some French server where everyone was actually pretty cool about my general rubbishness.

Then they all went to bed and I ended up on some other team at about my level - we got wiped out at the start of Mercy 4 with a grand total of 3% covered.

Have I missed something simple, or is there any way to play as the infected against human bots in single player? There's a bit of a learning curve and I don't like joining games at this stage where everyone else knows what they're doing and I muck things up for the rest of the team.

In the demo there was a command to force the cpu survivors to leave the saferoom and go through the level. I cant remember what the command was or if its present in the full game.

MOH wrote: »
    Ah well, expect to see me on the boards.ie linked servers completely failing to kill anyone. Look on my works and tremble. With laughter.

just play public for a while to get some practice in

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Unsurprisingly, given Valve's track record, the new DLC will be free on the PC.

I'm really surprised though, to learn that it will be free on the XBox as well. I understood that there were limits to what you could give away for free on Xbox Live (updates gen. free, DLC you pay for). I presume Valve came to a deal with MS, as I doubt they would reach into their own pockets.

Anyway, good news for all of us.

Advertisement