Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday: 5 mile recovery run
    Waited until the evening to give myself the full 24 hours, and trotted on the grass around the local park. A little stiffness in the muscles and joints, but not too bad (a sign that the track race was more of a cardio struggle than a physical challenge). Usually, post-race pains hit me on the second day though. Got to get race ready for tomorrow evening, so will probably just do four miles this evening with strides, and foam roll the crap out of the legs and hope for the best. I may have been a little over-zealous, signing up for all these races.

Summary: 5 miles @7:43/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cheers Kevin. Hadn't considered that at all. That seems like a really good idea. Will be taking a couple of weeks off between now and then (just easy running) and then will begin working on the longer stuff, but it's early enough into the next phase of training, that I will still have some speed in the legs. I may just do that!

ffs, I said I was racing there ages ago, you're not allowed swan in at this stage and snag a medal! :mad::mad:

You should do meet 6 (3000) and 7 (1500) too, for the track practice :)

RayCun wrote: »
    ffs, I said I was racing there ages ago, you're not allowed swan in at this stage and snag a medal! :mad::mad:

You should do meet 6 (3000) and 7 (1500) too, for the track practice :)
    If you want a medal, drop me a pm. I've loads of 'em.
    Some things you have to earn. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Your race report is the boards.ie post of the day :) move over "you laugh, you lose":cool:

Don't give up on the track just yet. For one you could eek 10s out of that time from pacing alone. Pop your splits in here and see: http://timescalculator.appspot.com/optimizer
    Cheers man. Got a bit of time and stuck my numbers in and got a 15:31 (can I take this as my new PB? :D). But then got curious and added up my lap splits, and it only came to 15:43, so clearly I've lost a few seconds in my lap splits somewhere. It's an interesting idea, but between the jostling for position and over-abundance of adrenaline, it's hard to see a 5,000m race happening on the track where the runners don't go out too hard and run a couple of seconds too fast for the first 200m, right? Otherwise all but two of my splits were slower than planned, so it's difficult to see where a more evenly paced strategy might yield me some seconds. I reckon a cooler day would make the greatest difference as I reckon my HR would be a few beats lower. A cool day with no wind is a lot to ask for (though probably better chances in Ireland than anywhere else). This Tullamore idea is sounding more attractive by the day though.

Yesterday: 4 miles with strides
    A little stiff to start out with, but loosened up just enough to get the strides done. Dunshaughlin could be a complete flop, but realistically, I wont know until about mile 4. I have no running plans for a couple of weeks, so might as well throw myself at it and see how it goes. A shot for nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I got slightly told off for jostling too much in the first 600 because it uses up too much energy. Coachy told me that sometimes you just got to sit back....food for thought. Great race and report though. Your first track race? You have to come back for more, it's the law ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I got slightly told off for jostling too much in the first 600 because it uses up too much energy.
    So does running in late 2! I've actually done a few track races. Something like 3 x 400m races, 1 x 800m, 2 x 1 mile, 1 x 3,000m and now 1 x 5,000m. But yeah, my first 5,000m and first time running in Santry.

How's pops getting on? Get off to a good start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

So does running in late 2! I've actually done a few track races. Something like 3 x 400m races, 1 x 800m, 2 x 1 mile, 1 x 3,000m and now 1 x 5,000m. But yeah, my first 5,000m and first time running in Santry.

How's pops getting on? Get off to a good start?

Ah that makes more sense. Yes, the trick is to get into lane 1 with no one in front and no one clipping your heels behind...and not a TT situation...
    You should definitely give the masters in Tullamore a serious think.

Fine so far thanks. Not sure if he's hit today's target yet (30 miles I think) but shouldn't be too far off.

Hope tonight goes well for you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great result tonight enjoy the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

KC 2 pbs in a week. I still cant get my head around running 25*200 @ 37 sec pace given recently I ran 200 flat out and was delighted to break 40

Enjoy the Coors :)

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    KC 2 pbs in a week. I still cant get my head around running 25*200 @ 37 sec pace given recently I ran 200 flat out and was delighted to break 40

Enjoy the Coors :)
    Cheers Ger. I should point out that I failed to hit my target on the track so never actually ran 25x200 @ 37 second pace, but thanks for rubbing salt intro the wound. :)

The Coors went down mighty fine. In fact, my tipple of choice was made far closer to your home (Blacks of Kinsale) than that muck from across the Atlantic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Super time. Well done.

I'm interested to see what you have to say about the runner 2 secs ahead of you and the one 2 secs behind. From the club name/gender I'm predicting an interesting last paragraph of the race report.

Brilliant running Gary
    Had trouble spotting you though, was expecting to see you wearing a club singlet and not drafting shamelessly off a female runner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Brilliant running Gary
    Had trouble spotting you though, was expecting to see you wearing a club singlet and not drafting shamelessly off a female runner ;)

Photos will make for interesting viewing too then! See if the report tallies with the pictorial evidence.

Brilliant running Gary

Yes Ray, I see exactly what you mean. :)

19003786081_38d9221fac_b.jpgFINISH: Dunshaughlin 10KM 2015 by Peter Mooney, on Flickr. Thanks to Peter, Rory, Monica and family as always for the cracking photos.

that's great progress from Raheny, especially considering the shape Lee is in at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Ah here! You used to be half decent in keeping up to date with your race reports/training log. What's going on? :-)

Ah here! You used to be half decent in keeping up to date with your race reports/training log. What's going on? :-)
    I'm taking a well earned break! All my activities are posted up on Strava if you're wondering what part of the world I'm inhabiting at the moment. Today, I visited the statue of liberty (but I'm not in the US!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm taking a well earned break! All my activities are posted up on Strava if you're wondering what part of the world I'm inhabiting at the moment. Today, I visited the statue of liberty (but I'm not in the US!).

Liberty Hall??
    :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Does the winner get a prize? Paris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Gweebarra?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

You can run, but you cant hide. In fairness you're getting fairly slack. Are you not worried that once the Alzheimer's kicks in fully you'll have to start making up the reports.

annapr wrote: »
    Gweebarra?
    Gweebarra? That's not even a real thing, is it?

The lady in question:
    19443684146_065835acdc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Annual sub 60 attempt next Wednesday?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Annual sub 60 attempt next Wednesday?
    Yep, might be on the cards, but as usual, marathon training has started, so the excuses are already lining up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yep, might be on the cards, but as usual, marathon training has started, so the excuses are already lining up!

Haha, nothing wrong with ready made excuses. We all do it. Won't be racing myself, but I'll probably be out there so will give you a shout out.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Which marathon this year Gary? Dublin or Frankfurt?

Which marathon this year Gary? Dublin or Frankfurt?
    Hard to see past Frankfurt. Had a great experience there last year, so if it all went the same way, I'd be well happy. Plus now we know where to buy the cans for after the race! Any interest in doing a marathon after Charleville, or are you back to London next year? May well see you in Charleville, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Hard to see past Frankfurt. Had a great experience there last year, so if it all went the same way, I'd be well happy. Plus now we know where to buy the cans for after the race! Any interest in doing a marathon after Charleville, or are you back to London next year? May well see you in Charleville, by the way.

Back to London next year all going well. I'm down to pace DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Gweebarra? That's not even a real thing, is it?

The lady in question:
    19443684146_065835acdc.jpg

Just for the record :), the lady in question:

2fFg8U

Advertisement