Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Friday: 5 miles easy

Saturday: Very long run
    An annual gathering saw me arrive in Westport on Friday evening, an occasion that warranted many pints (and some glasses of wine for good measure). Still, I was the best of a bad lot and left them to their drinking, retiring to my leaba soon after midnight, knowing I had a very long run in the morning. A group of the lads were going cycling the Greenway from Westport to Achill, so I got it into my head that I would run it at a nice easy pace (which would more than accommodate for the hangover and the lengthy distance. The greenway is a little over 26 miles long, but we were staying right down at the Quays, so had a few miles to cover to get there.

I hydrated well before the run, and made a poor decision to bring a backpack with me, with a change of clothes, some food for afterwards and 2L of water. I don't really know what I was thinking - 2L of water is heavy (2kg to be pretty exact), so I was weighing myself down with around 6-7 pounds of additional weight. This became uncomfortably clear soon into my run, but short of dumping the bag in a ditch (along with phone, money, etc) and coming back for it later (which I gave serious consideration to), I'd have it for the full 29 miles. The run started with a very nice trip through Westport House, before arriving out on the main road and realizing I had no idea how to get to the greenway. I had loaded up a route for the greenway on the watch, but it didn't include anything about how to get to the beginning of the route. I bumped into a couple of cyclists who were equally as perplexed, but soon we navigated our way and hit the greenway. For the next few miles we played tit for tat, passing each other, exchanging a few pleasantries before moving on our merry way. From Newport to Mulranny the scenery got pretty spectacular, and I really enjoyed just ticking off the miles at an easy clip.

Miles got a little tougher after that as the shoulder straps on the bag chaffed a little, and I could feel the extra weight creating additional pressure on joints and muscles, but one by one the miles ticked off and I soon found myself on the final few miles to Achill. Arrived at the Achill sound Hotel at just the same time as my ride back, so I really could've skipped the dry clothes, food and water (ended up drinking just under a litre anyway). Just had time for a quick pint, and it was back to Westport (for more pints). In hindsight, it was probably counter-productive from an upcoming marathon perspective, as the risk of injury was significantly increased by the extra weight and length of the run, but it was a great experience. Applied copious amounts of hot water and beer (my secret sauce) and managed to avoid any significant niggles or injuries. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a long easy run - but be warned - you'll learn to really hate those cattle-grids!
    Summary: 29 miles in around 3:30.

Sunday: 9 miles recovery
    Still hanging around Westport, and was too tired to do significant levels of damage, so was up at 8am, and running around Westport House and along the coast soon afterwards. Joints were tired, but I was taking it nice and easy. 9 miles wrapped up the weekend, and the final 100+ mile week of this campaign. Look forward to dropping the mileage a bit and hopefully enjoy the feeling of fresher legs for the next few weeks.

Monday: 5 + 9 easy miles (just getting back into the groove)
    An easy 5 miles in the afternoon and then met up with training buddy for a further 9 miles in the evening, where we headed out for a loop around Bray. Stepped off a kerb to stay out of the path of a young girl walking her dog on a leash, when I heard a loud growl and a sharp pain as the dog jumped and bit me on the side of my hip. I cursed loudly and the girl barely looked up as I explained (suing angry loud terms) that her dog had just bit me. "Umm.. Sorry?" was about as much enthusiasm as she could muster. I got the feeling that it wasn't the first time this particular dog had acted in this way. Checked myself afterwards and there's a small puncture wound and a scrape where he clamped his teeth, but no real damage. I love dogs, but if they have those kind of behavioural problems, you can't take them out for a walk in public - or at least you have to be able to control them effectively. The adrenaline stayed with me for the next few miles, which was just as well, as it seemed every passing vehicle was out to get me. One of those days.

Tuesday: Workout: 13 miles with 7 miles alternating 400@T/1200@MP
    Was planning to run this in the evening on the track, but with strong winds beckoning, figured I'd just nip it in the bud and get it over and done with so headed to the cinder. Really wasn't feeling well, but was committed, so just stuck it out. While I hit all my splits (too fast), I can't say that it really went well, as the final couple of miles were a mental battle. It should have been a confidence booster, but instead ended up as quite the opposite. But I rationalized it in a number of ways: tired legs (from stupidly long run), upset stomach and dehydrated, crappy cinder track surface, and ran all of the splits too fast. Completed the 7 mile segment at 5:37/mile which was a bloody good workout, just mentally found it a bit of a battle.

Wednesday: 6 + 6 recovery/easy

Thursday: Run + 8 x 200m @5k->3k
    Headed back to the cinder track for this one (hopefully for the last time in a while). Arriving down there and checking the watch, it had registered and extra 1/2 mile (and I'd just been espousing the GPS accuracy of the Fenix 3). Anyway, no need for GPS on the track. These were comfortable enough - given the brevity of the session, I think it just serves as a reminder of faster paces - a type of keeping in touch. Started them at around 37 seconds and worked them down to 34 and finished with a 32, then ran back the way I came, magically cutting 1/2 mile off the journey, despite re-tracing my steps (stoopid technology failures).

Friday: 7 mile cycle + 6 mile run + 5 mile cycle
    Motorcycle flat tyre meant a bit of cross training, with a rushed cycle to work, easy lunch run and an easy spin home.

Saturday: 3 x 5 miles @MP with @800m steady
    The big one. The marathon pace trial of fire. Was a little nervous about this one for a day or two beforehand, as it's really hard to say what way it'll go. Despite holding 5:45 for a half marathon, and 5:50 for 16 miles in the recent Kilomarathon, this time it was out on my own, without other runners, water, or other race conveniences. This is the session where I decide to plough ahead with my planned pace, or adjust to something more achievable. The Magness plan called for 4 x 3 miles, but I needed the confidence/feedback of the full 15 miles, albeit with a couple of 800m steady breaks. Made my way to my carefully planned 5 mile loop (in other words, the same one I use for this session every year), and hit 'start'. Plan was 5:45/mile and if I could manage it, a few seconds to the good, for Garmin screwiness. Once I settled into the first lap, it was pretty comfortable. Got to the turning point (2.5 miles) and discovered a slight head-wind - nothing significantly impactful, but enough to increase the workload. Was happy enough to finish off the five miles in 28:28, @5:42/mile.

Easy/steady 800m to take me back to the start of the loop, and I took my first gel in 50 weeks (since Frankfurt marathon last year). Didn't go down well, and sat in my stomach like a heavy meal. I'm sure water would've helped, but didn't want to stop. Next loop started out like the first, comfortable enough, but at the turn-point, the wind had picked up. Still, it went ok and finished in 28:33 @5:43/mile.

Again with a steady 800m, this time I stopped for 20 seconds, to grab some water instead of a gel, and felt a lot better. Then straight back into it. Final lap followed the first two, and was comfortable with the slight breeze behind me. Got a good bit tougher over the final two miles, but it wasn't a significant struggle (I've had many tougher MP sessions). Finished up in 28:30, @5:42/mile. Needed a minute or two to catch up with a bout of coughing (gotta watch the health for the next couple of weeks) and then jogged the two miles to home, to round off a really good session. Really happy with how that went. Needed a confidence booster and the session delivered. There are actually another two MP sessions this coming week, but I may ease back on the planned mileage of these sessions as this one was a good bit harder than planned. But otherwise, full steam ahead to Frankfurt.
    Summary: 20.3 miles in 2:04, @6:07/mile

Sunday: 8 mile recovery run
    Easy run around Moat Park in Roscommon, taking in the trails and paths. Body pretty tired from the session, but this certainly helped ease the stiffness.

Monday: 10 miles easy
    I've run past the same halting site a couple of times a week for the past few years. This time it was twinged with great sadness. Resisted the urge to have a 'look-in', like all of the car-drivers slowing down on Glenamuck Road. Sometimes, people suck.

Wednesday:: 10 miles with 7 miles at MP, with 1 min surge to LT every mile
    Ugh. Convinced myself it would be easy, compared to Saturday's run. It's taper time after all, right? Didn't do myself any favours by choosing a route heading up as far as Foxrock church, so had a good drag into a mild head-wind for the first 2.5 miles. Set up a workout on the watch, alternating 4:40@MP, 1:00@LT, but it didn't work out too well, as average pace targets are better suited to longer intervals - should really have just done this on the cinder track. Anyway, made it to 6 miles, just in time to hit the hills for home, and said 'feck it' and did the extra mile that I'd earlier decided to abandon. I suppose it's a positive sign - not feeling significantly fresher, but happy enough to keep the punishment coming! Hurry up 'ta feck, Frankfurt.
    Summary: 9.7 miles, with 7 miles @5:43/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

Good idea to run the Greenway. I intend to do it sometime. From previous experience cycling it I would get dropped to Achill and run back to westport. I remember thinking that it was more enjoyable (more downhill). Maybe you were after the more challenging route!! good luck in Frankfurt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I ran the Greenway last year, although it was over a couple of days. With a couple of the kids cycling alongside carrying my gear. It's a fantastic run alright. The 5 miles either side of Mulranny are spectacular, in fact it's a far better running route then cycle route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Savage mileage recently KC! Endurance will be a piece of cake. Definitely food for thought for my own training(well next marathon attempt!)

Terry049 wrote: »
    Good idea to run the Greenway. I intend to do it sometime. From previous experience cycling it I would get dropped to Achill and run back to westport. I remember thinking that it was more enjoyable (more downhill). Maybe you were after the more challenging route!! good luck in Frankfurt!!
    I ran from sea level to sea level, so no great advantage in travelling in either direction (other than checking the wind direction!), but the main reason was that starting in Achill would have meant waking up my driver early, who was sleeping off a number of pints from the night before, and that simply wasn't going to happen! Yeah a great route, with some minor annoyances, like all of those bloody cattle-grids! The fine grit on much of the route tires the legs after a couple of hours, but yeah, a great run route and great training for something like the Connemara Ultra (though there are no hills of significant note).
    wrstan wrote:
    I ran the Greenway last year, although it was over a couple of days. With a couple of the kids cycling alongside carrying my gear. It's a fantastic run alright. The 5 miles either side of Mulranny are spectacular, in fact it's a far better running route then cycle route.
    I was looking for someone who might have done it before, as I was hoping to get a GPS track-log, but in the end, found one using the Garmin Connect search (a cyclists log). I created a Strava segment, just to see if anyone else runs it. How's the marathon training going, by the way? I've spotted you a couple of times out along the N11 cycle-path (for shame :)).
    smmoore79 wrote:
    Savage mileage recently KC! Endurance will be a piece of cake. Definitely food for thought for my own training(well next marathon attempt!)
    Hopefully it works out. If I do hit my goal, I reckon the consistent volume will have been a critical element/contributor. I remember feeling very strong in the final few miles of the marathon last year (and my last mile was my fastest), so hopefully I can replicate that this year. Unlike Oslo, the weather is looking pretty favourable at the moment (10'C, dry, and a light breeze). I reckon if you'd been running Frankfurt, well.... not much point in going down that road, but the post-race pints would have been all the better!

Thursday: 4 miles steady + 6 miles steady
    This was perhaps an error in judgement or interpretation. The Magness plan simply read 7Miles/4Miles steady. I didn't know whether the 'steady' part related to just the 4 miles or both runs, so I ran both runs steady, starting with a hilly 4 mile loop in the morning before work (running a 6 minute mile (albeit gravity assisted) before breakfast should be banned or made illegal. It's just not right. Was still a little stiff when I headed out in the afternoon for the additional 6 miles, so just ignored the watch and interpreted 'steady' as 'causing slight discomfort'. I should have known better, as one of the consequences of age, is that after steady miles you're better off following them up with easy miles, rather than adding further stress to the body - and as a consequence, I was pretty tired and niggly for the rest of the day. But this is taper time... While I don't seem to feel any fresher (there's sufficient quality this week to keep me ticking over) my recovery rate seems to have improved greatly, which I'm putting down to reducing the broader volume and number of doubles over the last week and a half. One last marathon pace session tomorrow, and it's easy street until race day.

Today: 6 miles + 6 miles easy
    Lines up well with my work commute, so ran into work this morning, and will likely run home too. (Can I log miles that I haven't done yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Today: 6 miles + 6 miles easy
    Lines up well with my work commute, so ran into work this morning, and will likely run home too. (Can I log miles that I haven't done yet?)

I've done that the odd time, pop in the excel when I don't feel like doing it and then feel compelled to turn it into a reality.
    Quite the opposite to work really, where I don't feel compelled to do half the stuff I find on spreadsheets :)

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've done that the odd time, pop in the excel when I don't feel like doing it and then feel compelled to turn it into a reality.
    Quite the opposite to work really, where I don't feel compelled to do half the stuff I find on spreadsheets :)
    Well, ended up running 6.5 miles at lunch-time, as I just wanted to get the second run over and done with (nearly hitting my fill of doubles at this point).

Saturday: 10 miles with 6@MP
    It's an interesting plan, in that it doesn't seem to put significant value on the 'hardness' of marathon pace, with a total of 25 miles (or 28 in my case) at MP, in the first two weeks of the three week taper. Where other plans seem to almost create a form of mystical reverence for those marathon sessions, the Magness plan seems to weave them into regular training, so it just feels like another specific training pace. That may show Magness' naivety with regard to marathon training, or it may be a figment of my imagination, but it seems to suit. I like the reinforced idea that marathon pace is not fast, but is rather a question of endurance - making sure that you can hold on to the pace for the full 2 and a bit hours.

On this particular morning, I headed to my usual spot and noticed the slight head-wind. This was very much a maintenance session, so I wasn't going to punish myself by going to the top of the long drag into that wind, but it was still pretty hard work. My watch was showing an average pace of 5:41/5:42, which contributed to the hard work, but try as I might to drop the pace back a little, it stayed rock solid - a good lesson for next week. It can be harder to ease off a too fast pace, than it can be to pick it up when you've gone out too easy. Hitting the turning point, things got a lot easier, with a nice flat section, and the wind behind me. I did notice that I was over-striding a little, which could cause issues on race day, but the effort levels got easier and easier, and by the last mile I was flying and really enjoying it and finished very comfortably. Could I have kept going at this pace for another 20 miles? Not a hope in hell, but maybe if I bleed off a few seconds per mile.....

Anyway, great to finish off the training plan on a high note. Will capture some thoughts on the plan when I get a chance, but for now, this training plan is dusted.
    Summary: 10 miles in 62 mins, with 6 miles @~5:43, HR=152

Sunday: 7 mile trail recovery run + 4 mile shopping trip
    Nice 7 miles up the trails as far as Carrigologan. Then needed something to wash away the disappointment of the rugby, so headed out with the backpack to do a bit of essential dinner shopping and ended up pulling a bit of a whitey in LIDL, before pulling myself together and heading home.

Monday: 4 Miles recovery + 9 miles easy
    Urgh.. If I have one weakness it's my complete inability to sleep. This week I've managed about 2-3 hours a night of good sleep and the rest has been... turbulent.. Awful snippets of awful songs running through my head at 3am.. That crawling feeling of exasperation and frustration at 4:30am, when all you want to do is sleep, and you realize that all is lost. Light comes on, book in hand. Finally, the kids get up to leave, and you fall into a deep sleep... for 10 minutes, until the alarm goes off and the work day begins. But last year was no different, and neither was the year before, so I won't let it bother me.

4 Miles at groggy recovery pace in the morning. Headed to meet training buddy in the evening. I've been wearing my HR monitor for every run over the last week or two, out of curiosity. Today for the first time ever though, the watch signaled that my recovery was poor, when every other time, it had indicated 'good'. I wasn't feeling very well and was also curious, so arriving in Bray, I stopped the watch and started a new workout, so the recovery checker would run again (it's based on HR variability, for the first 10 minutes of your workout), as any HR spikes should be resolved. Once again, it indicated a 'poor' recovery. I decided to ignore it, and wrap up my run. A mile from home, I was hit be a series of painful stomach cramps, and ended up doing that run-stop strategy to get home. This only further increased my paranoia. As a long term taper-madness sufferer, I should have known better, but when the evidence is thrust in your face, what choice have you got?!

Tuesday: 8 miles easy
    While the sleep levels didn't improve, my watch let me know that somehow I'd made a miraculous full recovery, wasn't going to drop dead on the spot, and once more, all was right with the world.

Wednesday: 7 miles with 5 minute pickup to MP
    Had a load of work to finalize so took the opportunity to isolate myself at home to get it done (still ended up working until 12:30am though), but meant I could do my final mini-session at my leisure at lunch-time. Headed for a nice 7 mile loop around Mine Hill Lane and enjoyed a couple of quick gravity assisted miles, before hitting the final 5 minute section at marathon pace (again, slightly downhill). Checked the watch... 5:39... Too fast, too fast.. Slow down, slow down.. Right.. It's hard work, but it's ok... Check the watch again.. 5:50, with around 100m before the mile ticks off... NNNooooo! Full on sprint to bring up the pace to marathon pace (like my life depended on it). Watch beeped, and I glanced down to see 5:45...Phew.. Made it just inside the cut-off.. But 25 more miles at this pace? :eek:

Thursday: 7 miles easy
    Another night of watching the ceiling, before getting up, almost relieved that day-light had finally arrived. Headed to Cabinteely to grab some coffee to bring to Frankfurt. I can live without pretty much all the essentials, but not without my coffee (completely unrelated to my sleep deprivation issues, and any suggested connection will be ignored without prejudice).

Today: 5.5 miles easy
    Met up with running buddy for a few sunny miles. Always good to meet up with others who are going through the same mental anguish (Emer's just way too cool to be bothered by things like taper madness).. Finally the legs felt like they had a bit of zip. Still quite niggly, so I actually did some stretching and foam rolling afterwards, but glad to start feeling a bit of energy returning.

I did switch to a protein/fats diet for Tuesday and Wednesday, as a nod towards carb depletion, and I found it to be an interesting experiment (though not an entirely comfortable one). With the higher protein diet, I felt almost permanently full (I can see how a low carb diet can lead to significant weight loss), but damnit, I really missed my carbs. Made a batch of flapjacks to bring with us to Frankfurt last night and couldn't resist eating a few, so my low-carb diet came to a premature end, but the near-immediate surge of energy was intriguing. After a bowl of porridge this morning, I felt pumped up and ready to go out and run 26 miles. It's going to be a long 48 hours!

So no excuses. No illnesses. No injuries. Weight is down to around 152 pounds (from around 162 pounds a few months back) and my mum is telling me I look ill. All set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good luck KC and Emer on Sunday and hopefully see you for Monday celebrations. I'll be tracking

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Good luck Krusty in Frankfurt. Was also on that no carbs diet earlier this week. The less said the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great race, ye splitter :)

Safe travelling KC. Hope you all have a fantastic run and a great weekend!

wrstan wrote: »
    Safe travelling KC. Hope you all have a fantastic run and a great weekend!
    Cheers Bill. Same to you. Might see you in McGrattans afterwards for a pint or are you shooting for home?

I have to admit I'm feeling really excited, I'm definitely milking the "no pressure I'm a virgin at this" - and I'm determined to finish with a smile! :-)

Hope to make it to McGrattans, although I'll probably head home and then come back in once I've rinsed the salt deposits off my cheeks, I presume that's what most people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck with Frankfurt.

Probably too late in the day, but for sleep knock caffine on the head till race morning and try some melatonin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck KC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

All the best on Sunday. See you in McGrattans no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best on Sunday KC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Good luck over in Frankfurt. You don't need any tips from me on how to run a marathon. But just go get that PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck Gary. Kick Maria's a**e! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^^ heehee but yes, do your best to out leg her ;) Best of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Going to add my voice to the many wishing you all the best. Hope you get out what you've put in. PB all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Itziger wrote: »
    Going to add my voice to the many wishing you all the best. Hope you get out what you've put in. PB all the way.

me too, the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Have a good one G, hope it goes well for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi KC!!!!!!! :D Have the bestest race ever! Whoop whoop!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Best of luck to yourself and Emer!

Advertisement