Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's mad the differences in the GPS readings, one guy seems to take a huge shortcut along the canal. Maybe he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's mad the differences in the GPS readings, one guy seems to take a huge shortcut along the canal. Maybe he did?
    One guy (ClarkKent?) leapt over buildings in a single bound. I think that's cheating.

Saturday: 10 miles easy
    Wifey took me out for a belated birthday dinner (very, very belated - my birthday was last year!), still, we had a fantastic meal and quite a few drinks to accompany the food, so I was a little reluctant heading out for my 10 miles. Thankfully I managed to rope in a club-buddy, so at least I'd have company for the 10 mile spin. Back to an old, but favoured loop, around the side of Carrigologan and back by Fassaroe, making the most of the beautiful sunshine. By the time we hit the top of Puck's Caste hill, the cob-webs in the head were but a distant memory and I just enjoyed being out in the countryside for some easy miles. Summary: 10 miles @7:22/mile

Sunday: 1,000 miles pretty easy!
    The novelty of passing the 1,000 mile mark has long since passed, and now it's just a gauge for how well I stick to my plan (pretty well, as it happens). Still, I felt the need to mark the occasion with a nice loop, taking in as much of the garden of Ireland as I could, without trespassing too greatly on the planned 13.25 miles that would wrap up the weekly mileage target. A big round loop that took in the Scalp this time, then down to Enniskerry, before somehow missing the turn for Kilbride Lane. So instead of basking in a wonderful shire-like green vista, the occasion of my 1000th mile was marked by an ugly steep climb. Still, another enjoyable country run in the snshine.
    Summary: 1,004 miles in 80 days, @12.4 miles/day

Today: Workout: 3 x (600/400/600 @5k/40 secs rest) 4 mins <> sets
    I had a really, really bad night's sleep last night. As a consequence, I think the right thing to do would have been to put off the session and just do an easy run, but I seem to be somewhat incapable of deviating from the plan. As I ran down to the cinder track, I noticed that my average pace was around 7:06/mile, which is pretty fast for my standard warm-up, so I took this as a good omen. As I later discovered, this was largely down to a favourable tail-wind, which I had to pay for on the way back to work. Really not feeling the love for this session, but still I couldn't turn away.

Into the first set, and immediately I could tell I was working too hard and seemed to have restricted lung capacity. Wondered briefly if I had picked up the cough/chest infection that my son and a few others seemed to be struggling with. Still, I kept going. Times were consistently a few seconds out on plan, and I felt lethargic, dehydrated and lacticky (Yes, I know, I just made it up!). In the end, I decided to just push through and get what I could out of the session and the numbers would look after themselves. With the way work is looking this week, I wouldn't have gotten a do-over, so I guess I'm satisfied that I got something out of it. Looking back, it's still faster than last year's reps, despite feeling like sh1t, so I guess that's a positive. Still, I'd have welcomed a more positive start to the 'competition period'. Body is quite niggly, and I think I need to lose a couple of pounds and get more sleep, if I'm to have any shot at getting anywhere near my target. So time to buckle down, largely knock the booze and crappy food out of the diet.... But mostly, the get more sleep thing..

Plan: 1:51/1:14/1:51
    Set 1: 1:52/1:13/1:50
    Set 2: 1:52/1:15/1:54
    Set 3: 1:54/1:16/1:54

Summary: 10 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great to say a brief hello yesterday Krusty...

Congrats on a great run for 2nd, and a very solid time to boot considering all of the twists and turns ...

Monday 23rd (cont'd): Recovery 5 miles @8:25/mile

Tuesday: 5.6 + 8 miles easy

Wednesday: 8.3 miles easy (incl. 6x10s hill sprints) + 4.6 miles recovery

Thursday: Workout: 1600@10k/600@3k/1200@5k/400@1500/800@5k <>3mins
    Savagely difficult session, because of a really strong North-easterly wind, that hit me as soon as I rounded the first bend on the cinder track. Managed to get through the 10k paced section but was already bleeding seconds. The really short/fast reps were fine, as I was able to punch through the wind, but for the longer ones (at 5k pace) I was being torn apart. On the final interval (800m @5k), hitting the back straight on the second lap, as the wind ground me down to a near standstill, I had one of those sparks of enlightenment. All of a sudden I realized the futility of running, a metaphor for the pointlessness of our very existence. Why am I running? Why am I putting myself through this? It doesn't matter how hard I train, as it's all for nothing. Eventually, the wind (or time itself), will just grind me down to a standstill. The despair grew in tandem with the desire to just stop. But I couldn't stop, it felt like I was travelling at a slow walking pace, but eventually, I rounded that corner and the wind was at my back and I struggled my way back to the end of the lap, where I could wallow in my own tiredness and self pity. Afterwards, I came to terms with the fact that the split was only a couple of seconds off target, and I'd love to say the mood lifted, but the despair and uncertainty I felt while running that final split lingered long after the grit had been washed off.

1600m - 5:23
    ~600m - 1:50
    1200m - 3:53
    400m - 68
    800m - 2:35

Friday: 6 miles recovery runmute + 7 mile recovery run

Saturday: Inaugural Shanganagh Parkrun
    The horrific wind continued, but I couldn't miss out on the inaugural Parkrun, starting just a kilometer from my front door. Given the fact that it's my home turf, I was keen to get the first first finisher token, but there were a couple of visiting runners from nearby Kilcoole AC, so certainly not a forgone conclusion. The run started and immediately a Kilcoole runner moved to the fore, and I had to work hard to close the distance on him and eventually settled in a position about 5m back. As we completed the initial short 1km loop. I noticed that the distance between us was closing, and he seemed to be dropping back a little. I passed him just as we were heading into the exposed windy start of the larger loop and noticed that the first mile ticked off in a healthy 5:14. It was hard work running into that strong wind, but I know this circuit very well, having run these paths many hundreds of times (my first training run started right at the very gates of the entrance to the park). As I ran past that very spot, I had to take it nice and wide as it's the only dodgy spot in the entire Parkrun course, with a 90' left, and some slippy mud on the inside. The lead bike (ably manned by Mark) did a great job of giving a bit of prior warning to the various park onlookers, and I was soon back into the open with the wind behind me, briefly spotting Emer who was volunteering at a junction around 600m from the start/finish line.

Back into the wind again for the final lap, and I knew I couldn't let up, as the Kilcoole runner wasn't far back. I didn't want to look behind, but couldn't resist the occasional glance out of the corner of my eye as I rounded some of the sharper corners. Finally got out of the wind, and the effort levels were pretty high. Up the tarmac hill (two foot rise!) for the final time and I passed Emer again. She looked up smiling, and shouted 'He's catching you'. Jaysus! I was already pretty wiped, but nothing for it, but to wind up the pace even more, for the final 600m to the finish line, to try to hold off the chasing runner. Eventually I made it to the finish line, gasping and wheezing and the much-anticipated assault never transpired. In fact, the 2nd finisher didn't cross the finish line for another 20 seconds. Was Emer trying to cruelly spur me to a faster finish? Had the second finisher just packed in completely? It turns out that she'd been talking to the lead bike, rather than to me, and hadn't anticipated that I'd completely misread the idle comment! Still, it spurred me on to a faster finish than I would have run otherwise! A really great Parkrun, with a really Friendly bunch of volunteers. Certainly one of the quicker courses on the Parkrun circuit, and on a windless day, you could certainly see someone breaking into the 15s. Ran a few war-down miles, helping out where I could, just to bring the weekly mileage up.

Sunday: 9 mile easy recovery run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

"War-down miles" ...not-so Freudian slip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    "War-down miles" ...not-so Freudian slip?

No shortage of fightin' talk on this log!

Monday (30th March): Session: 15 mins @LT + 4 x 1 min Hills
    I barely remember this session, to be honest, but I did hit the numbers for the tempo section, despite some horrific conditions (average pace: 5:28/mile). The 4 x 1 min hill sprints were straight into the gale and squall, so the paces weren't too important, as the effort levels were extremely high. Followed up with an additional 9 mile easy run that evening with a club-mate. Tough going, but good to get a head-start on the week's mileage with a couple of races in the plan.
    Summary: Session + 9 miles

Tuesday: 9 miles easy @7:34/mile
    My now standard 'get-away from work' hilly run up around the Scalp. Brief moments of bliss.

Wednesday: 4 miles easy + 7 miles recovery

Thursday: Fit4life 3k
    A good turn-out for this race, which I usually try to hit, as an early season 'tick off the 3k in sub 10' target. Club-mate was running and gunning for a good time, and it was good to see KielyUnusual in attendance too. I kind of figured that Kiely would have the upper-hand over the 3k distance, and kind of hoped that he would too, as he might drag me around the course to a slightly quicker time. Club-mate mentioned that he planned to go out at 3 min/km pace, so my plan was just to leave a bit of daylight between us and try to hang on as long as I could. As it turns out, if you want to run a solid 3k time, you should train a little bit faster than 3k pace. In other words, I struggled and it showed.

Over the first 1km loop, I slotted into second place, but was soon joined by one of the Greystones/Sli Cualann juniors and could sense KU just a couple of metres behind. If memory serves, we hit the 1km point in around 3:07, which was a little slower than I would have expected. The Greystones lad had fallen off the pace at this stage and as we hit the gentle climb and slight breeze, KU took a forward position, and I slotted in behind him. Effort levels rose dramatically, and as we hit the 2km mark, I was breathing pretty heavy, but still holding a position just behind KU. Really beginning to struggle, the focus was now just on holding on as long as I could. With around 400m to go, club-mate seemed to be falling off the pace a little, while KU was accelerating and closing the gap. KU ran out of road before he got the opportunity to overtake, so the positions stayed as they had been from the 1km mark, with clubmate one second ahead of KU, and me trailing behind by around 4-5 seconds, in a new 3km PB of 9:31. I even took the opportunity to have a sneaky PB beer or two!
    Summary: 3k in 9:31 + warm-up/n-down = ~10 miles

Friday: 4 miles recovery + 7 miles very easy

Saturday: Enjoyed volunteering at Shanganagh Parkrun for a change, and sneaked in an easy 7 miles immediately afterwards. A load of core strength work and then headed out for a couple of hours of rock climbing. Later that evening, a couple of the Sli Cualann lads were racing the Greystones-> Bray trail race, so jogged down to Bray to see how the results panned out. After seeing them finish in a solid 1st and 2nd place, jogged back home again, feeling pretty cream-crackered.

Sunday: 6 miles easy
    Took all of my will-power to do just the one run, but with the Brian Boru 10 mile the next morning, it made sense. Beautiful day, so enjoyed a hilly run up Mine Hill Lane, before picking up the pace on the downhill miles back down to earth.

Weekly total = ~80 miles

Just catching up on some results after my self-imposed exile from the world - savage time in the GIR, that's not the easiest course in the world either. Any sign of a race report? I find if I leave it too long I have to make something up.:D

aero2k wrote: »
    Just catching up on some results after my self-imposed exile from the world - savage time in the GIR, that's not the easiest course in the world either. Any sign of a race report? I find if I leave it too long I have to make something up.:D
    Haha. I've got a backlog of race reports and training updates. May have to update with the cliff notes! Not happy with that time in the GIR at all. I ran the final 10k of the Ballycotton 10 mile road race in 33:36, so to rack up a time in the 34:xx for a standalone 10k was disappointing. Immediately after the race I was happy enough given the conditions (and I managed to nab a few scalps), but afterwards, (largely chatting to T-Runner), I saw how others had done extremely well in spite of the conditions, so my personal justification/excuses crumbled away in the heavy wind!

It's been a mixed bag of a month. With 1-2 races per week, and no let-up in training, I knew performances would be impacted, and I have felt like I've been lacking in sharpness. But, I have a work trip next week, so that'll mean both a break from racing and from training, so hopefully it'll do me some good. I don't believe I've had a non-running day since last November (after Frankfurt marathon), so some transatlantic travel will force a couple of non-run days at the very least. Can't rest-up for too long, with you breathing down my neck!

• Advertisement

I had a feeling you mightn't be happy with the time - that's what keeps driving you on. I did 37.07 there in 2010, at my previous peak of fitness. I wasn't happy then either....
    Can't rest-up for too long, with you breathing down my neck!

You're safe enough, I've never been good at hitting moving targets.:)

Fook... It's been a while...

Monday 6th April: Brian Boru 10 mile race
    There was a bit of a push to put a club team together for this race, but by the time the race came around, we had lost a number of the aspiring runners to injury and other causes. Got a lift out with Abhainn (who was marathon pacing it), and met up with a few of the clubbies, and boards folks. After a couple of easy miles, headed to the start line. Based on feedback on the twisty challenging course, I had an idea that a PB was off the cards, so I set myself a target of sub 55 minutes, though I worried about the warmth of the day. The race (rather shortsightedly) started with two laps of a small loop (1/3rd of a mile), so within two minutes, we were running into the back of the field on a narrow path and making progress was extremely difficult. That kind of set the tone for the layout of the rest of the race, around St Anne's park. Soon afterwards, we were out on the long avenue, and I could see that I was around 10-15 places back from the lead. I gradually made my way forwards, and caught a group of runners, including a number of SBR runners. Up ahead three runners were forging ahead - A Raheny runner, an SBR runner and another fast looking chap. Though I'd been warned that the SBR runner tends to go out hard and fade later in the race, I figured that those three guys would make up the podium spots.

I was in around 6th/7th, but the pace seemed a little pedestrian. There was nobody ahead except for the three guys leading the charge, but the pace was just a little too comfortable, so I pushed on past the group. A moment of alarm, as I realized that I was now in 4th spot in the Leinster 10 mile road championships, but I soon reflected that it was just because the standard really wasn't up to the level it should be. Strangely, after the second mile, the 3rd placed runner was coming back at me, having gone out too hard, and soon afterwards I had caught him and moved into 3rd spot, though the chasing pack was just a metre or two behind me. A sharp left, a strange wooded descent, and we found ourselves flying downhill and headed for the gates of the park. I was kind of glad to be headed out of the park, as I prefer long straight roads, to the tight unpredictable turns of the tarmac paths within the park..... Only the race route didn't go out the gate. Instead, it took a sharp left across the fields in cross-country style. The lads behind me called me back before I had gone too far astray, but I had to come to a stop and wait for them to run by, before I could slot back in at the rear of the pack as we headed across the grassy fields. I was a little bit pee'd off, as I'd lost any advantage I had earned, so it sucked up a lot of my previous enthusiasm. On the windy twisty path, I couldn't get past the other runners, so had little choice but to settle in. Gradually, I moved through the group and found myself at the front again, though this time, the other runners weren't going to let me open a gap.

Gradually the group strung out and after a couple more miles there were just three of us (with two runners ahead, still making up the top two spots). We hit the main avenue again, and obviously must have been faster than expected, as running past the water-station after 6 miles, the volunteers were still unpacking water bottles and had their backs turned to us. I gave them a holler and one volunteer tried to cast a bottle into my hand, but I didn't catch it so ran on waterless. Soon afterwards, Loughlin C., caught up with us, with a handful of bottles of water in his hands, and dispensed them among the group (fair play to him!). We headed back down the hill, and this time I didn't make the same mistake and turned immediately over the slippy grassy surface. Soon afterwards, we started to catch the 2nd place SBR runner, and hitting the hill for the second time, we passed him and all moved up a spot as a consequence.

Around the 7 mile mark, things were getting a lot tougher, but the other runners seemed to be finding the going pretty tough too. After another mile, the two remaining runners seemed to look back at me, as if to ask when I was going to make my move. I hadn't really planned on kicking on, but this seemed like an ideal opportunity, so I picked up the pace and just focused on trying to stay as comfortable as possible, while trying to open a gap. Gradually, they fell off the pace, so by the time I hit the avenue once more I was on my own. I was now in second place, with a little over a mile to the finish. The avenue was an out and back, so I could see that the first place runner was a good chunk ahead, but not as much as I would have thought in the early miles of the race. I could see that I'd open up a decent sized gap, so all I had to do was hold a steady pace straight down to the finish line, and I was as good as second. Got a few welcome shouts of encouragement from the Boards and club runners, and with the finish line in sight in the distance, I started to pick up the pace to wind it up for the finish.

I got half-way down the avenue, when the marshals starter ushering me to the right. 'I'm on my second lap', I shouted, 'I'm going to the finish'. But still they flagged me off the avenue down a path to the right hand side. I was immediately crushed. I had picked up my pace and left just enough energy and effort to get me straight down the avenue to the finish line. In that second, I was utterly demoralized and surrendered completely. It didn't matter any more - I didn't care if the other lads caught me... I was toast. It felt like I had slowed to a crawl, but all I could do was keep putting one foot in front of the other. I was passing runners still on their first lap, but felt I was fading fast. Eventually, I emerged back out onto the avenue, this time a little closer to the finish line. I didn't want to look back, picturing the other runner's bearing down on me. Didn't want to give them even the smallest advantage. Eventually somebody told me I was clear. I could see the clock getting closer and closer to 56 minutes, so picked up the pace, and managed to nip under the gantry in around 55:55.

I didn't make my original sub 55 goal, but given the course and heat of the day, I was plenty happy with the time. The winner had run a low 55 minutes, so that confirmed that I wasn't as far off the pace as I'd originally estimated. I'd come to the race hoping to compete for a Leinster M40 title, and came home with a Leinster silver. To be honest, the Leinster element had been devalued by the third-mile, and the focus shifted instead to the overall race standing, but I can still take satisfaction that I came 2nd in a tough 10 mile road race. Will I run this race again? Not for all the gold in Brian Boru's war chest!

Summary: ~10 miles in 55:53.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Welcome back. Good report. Its a killer to have to stop to turn back in a race even for a sec . Are u taking this week off to catch up on your training log :-)

Welcome back. Good report. Its a killer to have to stop to turn back in a race even for a sec . Are u taking this week off to catch up on your training log :-)
    Haha.. Yes indeed. Figure it's do or die time with the log. Either get it up to date, or give it up completely. Hard to believe I started this training log almost seven years ago. That's a lot of waffling!

Tuesday: 5 miles recovery + 5 miles recovery

Wednesday: 7 hilly miles easy/steady + 5 miles w/strides

Thursday: 7 miles easy

Friday: 4 miles easy/recovery

Saturday: Great Ireland Run 10k
    Arrived in the park way too early, and stood around freezin' my a$$ off until it was time to go warm-up. As mentioned in a previous post, the plan had been to shoot for a PB (at a minimum), given that I'd actually run the same time as my 10k PB (33:36) at the tail-end of a 10 mile race and had run 33:57 at the end of a 100 mile week, earlier in the year. The wind was pretty strong, and I hadn't run these hills in a couple of years, so didn't know quite how I'd manage, but I was prepared to give it a decent shot. Met up with some club-mates right before the start and spied many familiar faces in the 'club start'. When the corrals were opened up at the start, I found myself pushed back in the crowds, and ended up a couple of hundred runners back. I wasn't too bothered at the time, but I also got a poor start and was blocked in on all sides as soon as the race started, and after half a mile, I was closer to marathon pace than 10k pace. I had to work really hard to free myself from the throngs of runners, darting left and right and squeezing between runners. Plenty of race to go, I told myself and just picked up the pace.

By the time we hit the first mile, I was almost back on pace (5:24 for the mile), and was moving well through the field. After a mile and a half, the groups became quite spread out, and with the turn into the strong wind fast approaching, figured I'd better get some runners to work with. I kicked hard to close on the next group, and managed to tuck in behind another runner. The head-wind was somewhat offset by the downhill as we headed down the Kyber, so made good progress and the next miles was a more healthy 5:17. Still going downhill and slightly more sheltered, made about one or two spots, but the placings were pretty static at this stage (mile 3: 5:11).

First of the hills just after 3 miles, and everyone's pace suffered. I was keeping pace with a couple of other runners, and together we were beginning to pass quite a few early faders, but our pace was down (5:39). Worse, I had a growing stitch that was threatening to bring a halt to the proceedings. It was really frustrating, as I had lots of running left in me, but the pain was growing sharper with every foot-strike. Eventually we hit the short down-hill into Furry Glen and I had no choice but to slow down and let the other runners go. My pace dropped back to 6:20/mile, while I tried to massage the cramped area, and watched in misery, as my former running partners disappeared down the winding hill.

Mile 5 was a 5:52 suffer-fest, as I dug under my rib-cage, to try and find some kind of relief. The only positive was that my HR had a chance to recover, so finally, as the pain started to lift, with a kilometer to go, I was able to lift the pace again, and my final kilometer was most certainly my fastest of the race. Small consolation, for what was ultimately a poor race. Poor strategy, poor execution, and a fitting result. I finished in 45th position overall, in 34:05, showing that running two hard races in 5 days isn't smart. I always knew April was going to be a challenge, but I guess that I held up some kind of misguided hope that it would all work out ok. Lesson learned.. Until the next time....
    Summary: 10k in 34:05

Sunday: 15 miles easy
    Met up with Neil in pretty awful conditions, and headed out for a pretty horrible 15 mile run around the hills of Wicklow. By the time I made it home, I was chaffed to bits from the constant sheets of wind and rain, but it seemed like suitable atonement for the previous day's wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Really impressive log. You have made some amazing progress, since beginning the log. Almost 10 minutes of your 10k time if i have read it right, awesome stuff. Not read every post unfortunately, wondering if you run many longer distances these day like HM OR FM. I saw some really good times there in some of your earlier posts.

Really impressive log. You have made some amazing progress, since beginning the log. Almost 10 minutes of your 10k time if i have read it right, awesome stuff. Not read every post unfortunately, wondering if you run many longer distances these day like HM OR FM. I saw some really good times there in some of your earlier posts.
    Thanks Greenmachine. Yeah, I like to run a couple of half marathons in the build-up to a marathon, but largely at marathon pace. Had hoped to race Athlone properly last year and post a good time, but a non-running related injury the week before meant a slow jog to the finish line. So my PB is from Longford last year, which I ran at what I hoped (rather optimistically) would be marathon pace (1:15:5x).

I run a marathon every year, as it's really my distance. I used to run 2+ marathons a year, but I can't do that any longer, if I want to keep improving. I have to spend most of the year making gains and carry those into the marathon. I think I've improved my marathon PB every year (though on one occasion, it was a 1 second PB, and another occasion, it was a 20 second PB). Latest marathon was Frankfurt last October, where I ran 2:35:03. Hoping to better it again later on this year, but need a lot of things to stack up, for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Well done KC! That's a savage run. PB?

Well done KC! That's a savage run. PB?
    Cheers! Does this answer your question?

17870286372_7fff510ed3_z.jpg

A minor PB (4 seconds), but on a day when most people were unhappy with their times, I'll take those 4 seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Great run this evening G, well done.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well Done Gary, great run. Sorry for not congratulating in person, I was a bit hung up on my own race!

Enjoy the beer(s).

Well Done Gary, great run. Sorry for not congratulating in person, I was a bit hung up on my own race!

Enjoy the beer(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Cheers! Does this answer your question?

17870286372_7fff510ed3_z.jpg

A minor PB (4 seconds), but on a day when most people were unhappy with their times, I'll take those 4 seconds!

I see you also fit in a beer mile training session afterwards.

Good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Specifics for those not in the know as to what this PB was in?

Also, are you having a craic at the sub 60 in Santry tomorrow eve?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Specifics for those not in the know as to what this PB was in?

Also, are you having a craic at the sub 60 in Santry tomorrow eve?

Minor PB in the Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield last night. Ran 15:48 for eighth spot. Just four seconds off the old PB, but happy enough with that as I still have 4-5 weeks of 5k training to go. Nor sure what race I'll be targeting at this point.

Would love to be having a crack at the 400, but not feasible the night after a hard 5k. Still hoping to hit one up in the graded meets, but it'll come down to timing. Have been doing a chunk of track work of late for the 5k, but all at 1 mile - 5k pace, so nothing to suggest an improvement in 400m pace, apart from general speed improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Minor PB in the Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield last night. Ran 15:48 for eighth spot. Just four seconds off the old PB, but happy enough with that as I still have 4-5 weeks of 5k training to go. Nor sure what race I'll be targeting at this point.

Would love to be having a crack at the 400, but not feasible the night after a hard 5k. Still hoping to hit one up in the graded meets, but it'll come down to timing. Have been doing a chunk of track work of late for the 5k, but all at 1 mile - 5k pace, so nothing to suggest an improvement in 400m pace, apart from general speed improvement.

"Fifteen endurance-trained athletes performed two weekly training sessions on treadmill at the velocity associated with the second ventilatory threshold (VT2) with inspired O2 fraction = 14.5% [hypoxic group (Hyp), n = 8] or with inspired O2 fraction = 21% [normoxic group (Nor), n = 7], integrated into their usual training, for 6 wk. Before and after training, oxygen uptake (V̇O2) and speed at VT2, maximal V̇O2 (V̇O2 max), and time to exhaustion at velocity of V̇O2 max (minimal speed associated with V̇O2 max) were measured, and muscle biopsies of vastus lateralis were harvested. Muscle oxidative capacities and sensitivity of mitochondrial respiration to ADP (Km) were evaluated on permeabilized muscle fibers. Time to exhaustion, V̇O2 at VT2, and V̇O2 max were significantly improved in Hyp (+42, +8, and +5%, respectively) but not in Nor. No increase in muscle oxidative capacity was obtained with either training protocol. However, mitochondrial regulation shifted to a more oxidative profile in Hyp only as shown by the increased Km for ADP (Nor: before 476 ± 63, after 524 ± 62 μM, not significant; Hyp: before 441 ± 59, after 694 ± 51 μM, P < 0.05). Thus including hypoxia sessions into the usual training of athletes qualitatively ameliorates mitochondrial function by increasing the respiratory control by creatine, providing a tighter integration between ATP demand and supply."

Now, if I'm reading that right, you should be on for a 0.0364217 second pb over 400m.

Itziger wrote: »
    "Fifteen endurance-trained athletes performed two weekly training sessions on treadmill at the velocity associated with the second ventilatory threshold (VT2) with inspired O2 fraction = 14.5% [hypoxic group (Hyp), n = 8] or with inspired O2 fraction = 21% [normoxic group (Nor), n = 7], integrated into their usual training, for 6 wk. Before and after training, oxygen uptake (V̇O2) and speed at VT2, maximal V̇O2 (V̇O2 max), and time to exhaustion at velocity of V̇O2 max (minimal speed associated with V̇O2 max) were measured, and muscle biopsies of vastus lateralis were harvested. Muscle oxidative capacities and sensitivity of mitochondrial respiration to ADP (Km) were evaluated on permeabilized muscle fibers. Time to exhaustion, V̇O2 at VT2, and V̇O2 max were significantly improved in Hyp (+42, +8, and +5%, respectively) but not in Nor. No increase in muscle oxidative capacity was obtained with either training protocol. However, mitochondrial regulation shifted to a more oxidative profile in Hyp only as shown by the increased Km for ADP (Nor: before 476 ± 63, after 524 ± 62 μM, not significant; Hyp: before 441 ± 59, after 694 ± 51 μM, P < 0.05). Thus including hypoxia sessions into the usual training of athletes qualitatively ameliorates mitochondrial function by increasing the respiratory control by creatine, providing a tighter integration between ATP demand and supply."

Now, if I'm reading that right, you should be on for a 0.0364217 second pb over 400m.
    Two trains leave a train station travelling at...
    Same thing, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Two trains leave a train station travelling at...
    Same thing, no?

Same thing? Dunno, I'd have to read the fascinating paragraph I copied and pasted before commenting.

Well done on the pb anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Weather hasn't been good for sprinting at the moment so you might be better off waiting for the 2 graded meets in July that have 400s on the programme. I'm giving this evening a miss myself.

Well done on the PB. Great result in what I'm guessing were windy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Really happy to see this, well done, great to see it all paying off. *Only* four seconds at that pace is actually quite sizeable y'know ;)

Advertisement