Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

Minor PB in the Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield last night. Ran 15:48 for eighth spot. Just four seconds off the old PB, but happy enough with that as I still have 4-5 weeks of 5k training to go. Nor sure what race I'll be targeting at this point.

Great stuff, congrats! To still be progressing at the shorter stuff is impressive and certainly re-defines what's possible for me going forward. Are there any particular types of sessions that you feel has got you into this shape? I'd imagine you're using this as a prep for a marathon block...Dublin...Frankfurt again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Great running Gary, more to come I'm sure. Keep it going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you plans for a marathon this year G? Frankfurt again?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great stuff, congrats! To still be progressing at the shorter stuff is impressive and certainly re-defines what's possible for me going forward. Are there any particular types of sessions that you feel has got you into this shape? I'd imagine you're using this as a prep for a marathon block...Dublin...Frankfurt again?
    From another perspective, I haven't been progressing at the shorter stuff for very long! My emphasis has always been on the longer stuff (ultimately to my detriment), so I had to target the shorter stuff when the gains dried-up over the marathon distance. If, like me, you haven't had much focus on the shorter stuff, making progress (as long as you're committed) isn't too difficult.

Unfortunately, it's taken 5-6 years of consistency (I'm a year-round runner) to get into current shape, so it's not down to specific sessions. But in terms of targeting 5k-specific improvements, I've been following the Steve Magness 5k plan. The base-building phase is pretty tough (very high volume), but I always feel like I'm in great marathon shape coming out of that phase (and have run a number of 10k/10 mile PBs on the back of that training). Then the 5k specific work (5k pace sessions, with progressive distance and decreasing recovery) help to dial in the specific needs for the target distance. Having said all that, I'm a long way off where I hoped I would be, and with just four weeks of 5k training left, feel it's unlikely that I'll hit the rather optimistic target I set myself. But progress is progress.
    Have you plans for a marathon this year G? Frankfurt again?
    Certainly will do one at the end of the Autumn. Not certain at this point which one I'll do. If I thought I was in good PB shape, I'd probably aim for Frankfurt and squeeze out every last second. If I'm not in significant PB shape, I might stay more local, and see if I can improve on my National champs masters position from 2013, but with UltraPercy and GOH added to the M40 ranks, maybe I'm better off in Frankfurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great running Mr Clown. Again. Nice to get a pb too -as someone else said, 4 seconds is pretty significant at your level!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Maybe Oslo in September? Its meant to be flat and a 2 loop course. I've nailed my colours to that mast!

Great pb btw:pac:

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Great pb btw:pac:
    That's 1 second for every 1,000 miles I've run, since my previous PB in the same race last year. A good return on investment? :) 'Negative me' remembers that I got a bad start in the race last year, which could easily account for four seconds. 'Positive me' looks at the results of those around me, and notes that making any progress on the day is probably a good result.

Oslo would certainly be interesting, but looking at previous results, you'd be looking at a top 5-10 result. Think I'd be better off in Frankfurt, where there's a little more depth in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That's 1 second for every 1,000 miles I've run, since my previous PB in the same race last year. A good return on investment? :) 'Negative me' remembers that I got a bad start in the race last year, which could easily account for four seconds. 'Positive me' looks at the results of those around me, and notes that making any progress on the day is probably a good result.

Congrats on a great time Krusty! I didn't really appreciate just how quick it was when I briefly chatted to you afterwards!

FWIW I was speaking to a couple of quick lads (Including one of the Mooney bro's) who found it tough on the day. Interesting to hear you say you noticed something similar with the results of others.
    Personally speaking, apart from the brief (and very nasty!) hail shower I thought the rest of the event was near perfect conditions.

Anyways, enough tripe from the rest of us, get to the race report already!!;)

Last year I ran 15:52 for 12th place, and all things being equal, I hoped to take a chunk off that, but the primary goal was to run under 16 minutes, having missed out just a few weeks earlier in the Wicklow road championships, in rather unusual circumstances. On the drive down to Enfield though, it was clear that all things weren't equal. The car was pelted by waves of hail-stones that covered the ground in a temporary blanket of white and the wind created cause for concern. I'd studied the weather reports, which suggested a tail wind for the 1st kilometer, cross-wind for the next 3kms, and a head-wind for the final run in. Goal was to make the most of the early wind advantage and just try and hold on to the finish.

Traffic was a little nasty on the way out, so we didn't leave ourselves with a huge amount of time to warm-up, and by the time we got back to the car to stick on the singlet and racing flats, we had 8 minutes to get to the start-line, and the stewards were advising that it was an 'Irish mile' to the start. No time for strides, but a 6 minute mile to the start-line took care of the need to bring up the heart rate! Arrived with about a minute to spare, but inevitably, the race start was delayed by a few minutes anyway. After last year's race I was determined to get a good starting position, so kept myself close to the front at all times, and when we were summoned to the start line, I was in the second row, which is pretty good by my standards.

I hadn't really thought through a race strategy (other than taking advantage of the early tail wind), but all of those plans went out the window as soon as the race started. After some brief jostling, I found myself in around 15th spot, at the back of a large group. I could see the three Kenyans at the front and then recognized a number of the runners in the pack in front of me - the kind of runners that would typically suggest to me that I was going a little too fast. On this occasion I was ok with having a go and blowing-up if necessary, so I made a decision on the spot to ignore the watch and splits for the race, and just try to hold onto these runners as long as I could.

We hit the first kilometer (in some undetermined time), and the group was beginning to stretch out a little. I found msyelf behind two runners who were letting the gap to the group in front widen and I didn't think they had the strength to stay the pace, so I had no choice but to try and close on the runners in front. One dropped off immediately, while the other proved me wrong, and followed my lead and overtook me to take a place a metre or two in front. Passed the 2km mark, and the effort had risen sufficiently, that any curiosity about my splits had waned. If I looked at my average pace, and the numbers were good, it might give me the justification I needed to slow down. If I looked and the numbers were bad, then I'd soon lose the will to keep working. So I ploughed on, blissfully unaware of my time, knowling that I was chasing a number of runners, who ordinarily finish a good chunk ahead of me. Sheets of stinging hailstones raised a brief smile, as I wondered which of us had angered the gods sufficiently, to rain down this abuse on us, when what we needed was divine succour. The 3km marker gave me brief moment to pause, as I wondered if I'd run a 3k PB for the distance, but at this stage I was hurting pretty bad, so probably would have struggled to read/interpet the watch, if I'd been bothered to sneak a glance.

I recognized my training-buddy ahead, and unfortunately he wasn't having a good day, as soon afterwards he was gradually coming back to us. As we drew level, I hoped he had the presence of mind to drop into the gap and hold on to the group for a good finish, but I was beyond words and gestures at this point. Another 500m and some of the other runners were beginnging to fall back. Finally I saw the sign I was looking for... T-Junction ahead. It meant the start of the final kilometer, and what I had drilled into my head as a brief downhill section and an opportunity to recover for the final push. I still had no idea wehether we were on 15:30 pace or 16:30 pace, but splits and clocks existed in a different reality, which had no meaning there and then. We rounded the corner and hit the 4km marker and the most subtle of downhill slopes, and for the briefest of moments, I experienced some optimism. I'm still here. Just over 3 minutes to the finish line. I can do this. Some twisty sections, and I tried to run the optimal racing line. Every extra stride reduced my chances of holding on. My chin was covered in spittle, but the effort required to maintain some semblance of respectability was just too great. One of the runners who had been well clear of the pack throughout the race started to fall back, and it felt good to make up a place, even at the cost of someone else's pain and anguish.

From memory, I knew that a short hill, a bend, a 500m sign, and 90 seconds was all that lay between me and the finish line. Hitting the hill, I felt my legs buckle completely - overwhelming urge to stop and give up, but then came the 500m sign. 90 seconds. That's all I needed to keep going for. The other runners had fallen off the pace a little, and I was now a little ahead. PM was around 50m ahead but strangely, the gap was closing fast. Finally, I saw the hotel and the top of the road. I picked up the pace (more in my eagerness to see the finishing clock, than any desire to improve my time). PM matched my increase in pace and I crossed the finish line a foot behind him. Much suffering afterwards. 2-3 minutes where the focus was just on trying to squeeze the pain and badness out of the system so I could be whole again. But that clock... The clock had read 15:46 or something... Eventually I managed to stand up straight and flicked through the settings on the watch. 15:48. Not 15:46, but a PB nonetheless. The time was largely irrelevant. All I cared about was that I hadn't gone through all that pain and suffering for nothing. I had entered this race in good health and good physical shape - if all that pain and suffering hadn't resulted in a PB, I suspect I may have given up running on the spot. So not really a PB worthy of huge celebrations, but while I didn't gain significantly, more importantly, I didn't lose and I get to keep going on this crazy ride.

Summary: 5k in 15:48

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Truly edge of the trousers stuff there, KC. Enjoyed that. Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Wow - I love reading all of your reports but that one was just brilliant. Brilliant. Well done Krusty Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

. Just four seconds off the old PB, but happy enough with that as I still have 4-5 weeks of 5k training to go. Nor sure what race I'll be targeting at this point.

This day 4 weeks..... http://www.docklands5k.com/
    Should I try and make sure the M40 category prize is super-dee-doper and extra special? :-)

Marthastew wrote: »
    This day 4 weeks..... http://www.docklands5k.com/
    Should I try and make sure the M40 category prize is super-dee-doper and extra special? :-)

Two days before Dunshaughin? Why, why, why?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

great report, so glad you got the 4 seconds and haven't retired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Oslo would certainly be interesting, but looking at previous results, you'd be looking at a top 5-10 result. Think I'd be better off in Frankfurt, where there's a little more depth in the field.

Yeah, but it would be class to finish top 10-20 in any international marathon, serious bragging rights :D

Monday: 5 miles easy with strdies
    Tuesday: Bob Heffernan 5k - Teenie Weenie 5k PB - 15:48
    Wednesday: 8 mile early morning recovery run + 5 miles recovery
    Thursday: 5 mile recovery + 5 miles steady

Friday: 20 mins @T (5:33/mile) + 2 x 400 (71, 71) w/HR Recovery + 2 x 200 (35, 30) w/2 mins
    Possibly a little soon for a session, but the program called for a workout two days after the race (though I ran a little harder than a typical tune-up race). After a late night gig (well behaved) I was still pretty tired, so opted for the tempo + speed work, rather than the sustained 5k pace session. 20 minutes @5:33/mile + a couple of 400s (71 and 71) + a couple of 200s at '1 mile' pace. despite a stiff breeze and the tiredness, it went well. I had considered splitting the tempo into two, but in the end, didn't need to (but dropped a couple of seconds/mile over the 20 minutes). Pretty fecked on the cool-down back to work, and had to stop and take a breather (for me, that's a sure-fire sign of a tough workout).

Saturday: 5mile recovery + 5 mile recovery

Sunday: Session: 2 x (800/800/400 w/45 secs) 3 mins b/w sets
    Early start to the morning so was pretty tired and unenthusiastic about doing another session, but headed out to the tartan track as I figured it would give me the mojo I needed to get the workout done. Had the track to myself, but for a discuss thrower, which made a nice change as the cinder would probably have had several other participants. Three mile warm-up on the track and some strides and then got into it. 2:25, 2:26, 72 + 2:26, 2:28, 72.
    Well happy with that given the heat and tiredness.

A 5k PB, two good sessions and a 70 mile week. That'll do very nicely, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Are you still bouldering these days? Not sure where you'd get the time!

I spent a couple of hours at this place recently. Less wall and more boulder, but I thought it would be up your alley, and a bit closer than Awesome Walls, an easy paced few miles there and back in fact!

wrstan wrote: »
    Are you still bouldering these days? Not sure where you'd get the time!

I spent a couple of hours at this place recently. Less wall and more boulder, but I thought it would be up your alley, and a bit closer than Awesome Walls, an easy paced few miles there and back in fact!
    Whenever I get the chance (which isn't as often as I'd like). We used to climb twice a week (bouldering mid-week and lead/top rope at the weekends), but between working and running, college exams, junior cert exams, gymnastics, night study, races, football, and the need to keep the 'children' fed, there isn't a lot of free time. The hard part is getting a few family members free at the same time. Hoping to make it this evening for a couple of hours though. We still get out once every 7-9 days though, so while I don't think any of us is improving, we're still enjoying it and getting some strength benefit.

The Wall is great. Would go there more often, but have an annual family membership for Awesome Walls, so try and use it as much as possible. It's around 24 minutes door to door (about 12 minutes to The Wall) so not a huge difference (though you do have the costly Toll bridge to cross twice). I really should head out to Awesome Walls on my own more often (no toll fees on the motorcycle!), as they have quite a few auto-belays at this stage, so you could get a very enjoyable hour of solo climbing done. I'm a little weary of bouldering during tough athletics training periods though, as that's how I hurt my back last year - during a fairly innocuous landing (feet-first) on a crash mat. At least with the ropes, you can pretty much guarantee an easy landing. You can down-climb from the boulder problems, but that gets pretty tiresome pretty quick! What level (colour) are you up to in The Wall?

What level (colour) are you up to in The Wall?

Oh I'm still in the rainbow leagues :D
    I'm not a serious boulderer at all, I've really enjoyed it anytime I've tried it, apart from the sore fore arms afterwards, but mostly any time I've been there has been in my taxi driving capacity!

PS for the online record: fantastic run in Enfield, I'm always impressed by your mental strength to push yourself deep into those pain zones

wrstan wrote: »
    PS for the online record: fantastic run in Enfield, I'm always impressed by your mental strength to push yourself deep into those pain zones
    Sure pain is like everything else - you practice it enough, you get good at it. There was quite a lot of it last Tuesday though! My HR hasn't hit 179 for quite a while. See you on the track tomorrow. Time for more pain. :)

• Advertisement

Monday: 6 miles + 4 miles easy recovery

Tuesday: Easy 3.4 mile trot + Session: 2 x (800, 1k, 400 w/90 secs) 3 mins b/t sets
    A little too soon since the last session (Sunday), so headed out for an easy trot at lunch-time, to make sure the legs were fully recovered. Was greeted that evening by a hot, sunny and busy track with lots of club colours on display and lots of speedsters knocking out solid intervals and reps. The session went better than I would have hoped. The longer reps were tough, but with ample recovery (90 seconds), they were all achievable. One screw-up on the second rep, where I think I hit Start/Stop instead of lap when launching into the 1k rep, and only noticed when I checked my split at the 200m mark, but I rekcon it was on pace anyway, somewhere between 3:03 and 3:06.

Splits (800 / 1k / 400)
    2:25 / ?:?? / 72
    2:26 / 3:03 / 70
    Summary: 8 miles

Wednesday: 5 miles + Bouldering + 4 miles easy
    Plan was just to force some recovery into the legs, but I probably overdid it a little, witha race/session the next day. 5 Miles easy at lunch, taking in some sections of the Central Park 5k course, then did 90 minutes of solid bouldering with the boss, then jumped out of the car (while it was stationary!) and jogged the four miles back to home. In hindsight, not so smart..

Thursday: Central Park 5k
    My Magness plan called for a 3k-5k race this weekend, but I have a full dance card for the weekend, so wouldn't get a chance to line-up a race, but lo and behold, I noticed that there was a 5k race starting just 1.5 miles from my workplace, in Leopardstown race course. The plan was just to treat it as a workout, so no PB attempts, no tapering, I didn't even bother dropping the mileage. I did skip my usual lunch-time 2-3 mile pre-race leg stretcher as the legs and body were still pretty tired from the previous two days of activity (and truth be told, I've well overdone it for the last 9-10 days, with a session every other day). So I was firmly in the 'good session' mindset. If a few quicker runners turned up (and I was told that nearly 500 had regg'ed so a pretty reasonable chance of a high standard) then that would add value to the session and I'd run a decent time, instead of plodding around the course.

The course is absolutely perfect (if run in reverse!), as is starts with a very nice flat tarmac'ed 3k around the perimeter of the race-course, before climbing up the hill to the stands, then into the South County Business Park, before finishing uphill on the climb into the Central Park. That's a lot of drags for the final 2kms of a 5k race, so I didn't expect times to be great.

Ran from work to the HQ and dropped off my bag, and was well happy to spot a couple of runners from SBR (Wexford) who I've done battle with a number of times in the past. MG in particular is someone I've raced a number of times (though rarely in the same pack) and we've probably traded pretty equal blows in our various encounters (though he's run some super times I haven't come close to touching). He was on the back of a decent 10k win at the weekend, so I knew he was in good shape.

A few strides and I lined-up at the start. After much on the spot jogging and waving our hands in the air (yep, that kind of race!) we were off. I took the lead immediately, more to try and hit 5k pace on the flat parts of the course, than any desire to take point. The band of SBR runners soon fell in, and our group of 5-6 runners were soon winding our way in and out the various paths of the car-park, in pursuit of a couple of Hi-viz clad cyclists. Eventually we left the car-park and headed into the race-course proper. I was still at the front, with MG, and the rest of the chasing pack hanging just off me. I wasn't too bothered as we were largely running with a side/tail wind. Lovely sweeping tarmac paths around the race-course and beautiful green vistas made the next few kilometers fly by. tried to relax as much as I could and just take in the experience. As we turned into a slightly more southerly direction the wind was growing, and becoming more troublesome. I glanced back a couple of times, to communicate that I wasn't entirely happy with the slip-streaming and MG was good enough to draw level with me, as we continued our way around the course. Another SBR runner was staying just behind, but his heavy breathing suggested that he'd have to work very hard to stay on pace.

After around 3kms, we exited from the perimeter path around the race-track, and exited onto the race-course slip-road. I know this road very well, having done many interval sessions along this stretch, so was fully aware of the drag that lay ahead. As we hit the gentle hill though, MG started pulling away, and I was struggling to match his pace. We were running into a head-wind and I should have done likewise and pulled alongside, but I struggled to close the distance between us. My breathing was ok, but between the pace, the wind and the hill, the legs just didn't have the strength to forge onwards. Still, I managed to keep the gap to about 1-2 metres. It was hard work winding our way around the various offices within the South County Business Park, but eventually we hit a short descent and had a momentary respite.

We hit the roundabout and were out onto the main Leopardstown Road and a sharper drag. We had only 150m to go, and MG kept checking over his shoulder, trying to anticipate my final onslaught, but little did he know, I had a surprise up my sleeve.... No onslaught.... There was nothing left to give in the legs, and I tottered my way up the final hill to the finish line. Again, no clock watching, so was keen to see the clock.. 16:20... Not bad... I'd have taken that before the race, so happy enough... A little bit 'meh' about my own 'racing' performance, but if you're going to do a hard session two days beforehand and a couple of runs and some rock climbing the day before, then I can't expect anything else.

Still, I ticked all the planned boxes, and despite the hills, enjoyed the race experience and you can't argue about coming second to a stronger runner. I didn't wait around as I had to get back to work, so grabbed a quick hog-roast (every finish line should have one!) my backpack and headed for a four mile warm-down back to work.
    Summary: 10 miles

Friday: 5 miles recovery + 5 mile recovery

Saturday: Lots of easy runs = 10 miles

Sunday:13 mile progression-style run
    It was a progression run, more because the hills and wind were unfavorable over the early miles of the route, but after a very early start to the day I was tired, so it was the best way to make the most out of my medium long run.

Monday June 1st: Easy 10k
    Another early start and a long day, so just about managed to keep the energy levels up long enough to complete the 10k. Felt sorry for all those wimmen-folk that had to face similar conditions, albeit at race pace. Not a day for racing!

Tuesday: 2 mile afternoon leg stretcher + Workout: 800 @3k, 400@1Mile, 500@3k, 200@800m pace w/2 mins rest
    Given the continued tiredness and cold symptoms, I swapped my sessions around, and did this shorter/sharper run, instead of the longer sustained pace session that was in the calendar. It was a good choice, as the 2 minutes rest was ample enough to ensure a decent recovery and got these all ticked off at target paces.
    800m @3k = 2:23
    400m @mile = 67 secs
    ~500m @3k = 1:28
    200m @800 = 31
    Really enjoying the sharper pointier stuff, and nice to get all of the hard work wrapped up in just a few minutes.

Wednesday: 6 miles easy + rock climbing + 4 miles recovery

Thursday: Club Session: 3 x 400 / 3 x 1k / 3 x 400
    Hadn't really planned on doing a session, but headed over to say hello to some of the newer runners and ended up sticking around for the intervals. These ended up being a lot sharper than I should have done (given the other two sessions in the schedule this week), but it felt good knocking out these reps in a group environment, so I stuck it out. Some talented new runners in the group and I didn't have it all my own way, and was left for dust in the final 400m, like I was standing still. Good to see the next generation of Bray Runners are a talented bunch.

3 x ~400m = ~1:30 / 1:26 / 1:24
    3 x ~1km = 3:30 / 3:21 / 3:12
    3 x ~400m = ~1:14 / 1:21 / 1:11

Friday: Lunch 6.5 easy + Evening: recce of Sonia 4.5k route
    Did an easy lunch run, and then took advantage of a lift to Dun Laoghaire to do a recce of the Sonia 5k route. Sign-up was closing on Saturday, so I figured I'd check it out to see if the course would be favourable for a stab at the 5k PB. Based on the published route, it's very suitable for a 5k PB as the course is only around 4.5km long. I was re-assured by the AAI that the course was accurately measured, so hopefully they stretch it out a little on the day, or it could be a bit of a reddener for the organizers. With three reasonable drags it's not really a contender for someone looking to shave seconds off of their 5k time (particularly if the windy conditions continue) so I let the registration period pass me by and will try to eke out a PB on the track instead. Given the amount of track work this year, I think it's the right choice and I'm looking forward to having a crack in Morton on Wednesday week.

Saturday: 4 X 800m @5k with 400 steady
    Hit the track with some trepidation for this session as it's quite the bruiser (particularly given the strong head-wind down the home-straight on the track), but I had company for my session and that was certainly going to help. One of the faster Bray Runners middle-distance guys was also doing a session at the same time, so it was fascinating to see how the sessions could be so completely different - an astoundingly impressive but completely unfamiliar type of training.

Back to our own session: plan was 4 x 800m with 400m steady - the goal between reps was to keep the pace steady - somewhere around 6:20/mile so the HR never really gets a chance to dip. Thankfully we were alternating leading out the 800s, so you got a little shelter from the wind on each alternative 800.
    Splits (800/400)
    2:30 / 1:34
    2:29 / 1:33
    2:28 / 1:35
    2:31 / 1:32
    and we picked it up a little for the final 200m, to complete the 5k. A tough, tough session, but great to get through it and great to have company, particularly given the wind.

Sunday: 14 miles easy
    Met up with some visiting colleagues on Saturday evening and took them around some of the more character-rich pubs around Dublin. Was home by 11pm, but still some damage was done, so wasn't too enthusiastic about a medium long run. Still, the sunshine was great and we hit the coast, which had a most welcome cool fresh breeze. Despite a growing thirst, managed to pick up the pace for the last two miles, to finish out a tough week of training, topping out at about 70 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am glad you have discounted the Sonia 5k as, having some knowledge of the area, I knew it wouldn't be a very fast 5k (if it is indeed 5k :eek:).

A track 5k is surely a very fast and accurate course :), but if it doesn't go well; have you considered the St Cocas AC 5k on Friday 26th?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am glad you have discounted the Sonia 5k as, having some knowledge of the area, I knew it wouldn't be a very fast 5k (if it is indeed 5k :eek:).

A track 5k is surely a very fast and accurate course :), but if it doesn't go well; have you considered the St Cocas AC 5k on Friday 26th?
    I like the St Coca's 5k course (though I don't think it's one of the fastest around), but will be out of the country on the 26th. Plan is to do the graded meet 5k (part of the Dublin Championships), then run Dunshaughlin a few days later and then run the mile out at the Greystones invitational. Not ideal to have the three races in such close proximity (6 days) but at least they're in order of priority for me.

Sounds like Seb Coe in 1979! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Friday: Lunch 6.5 easy + Evening: recce of Sonia 4.5k route
    Did an easy lunch run, and then took advantage of a lift to Dun Laoghaire to do a recce of the Sonia 5k route. Sign-up was closing on Saturday, so I figured I'd check it out to see if the course would be favourable for a stab at the 5k PB. Based on the published route, it's very suitable for a 5k PB as the course is only around 4.5km long.

(Marthastew just pointed this out to me)
    mapmyrun on the website route says its short too

I'll see if I can get any more information

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I see the problem - the route on the website goes up Sandycove Avenue West before heading back to the start/finish line on Marine Parade

The route I got this morning continues further down Breffni Road, turns up Sandycove Avenue East, then across Sandycove Avenue North, down Sandycove Avenue West, and on to Marine Parade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Hi Krusty_Clown, good to see you running well. Can I ask you what the Dunshaughlin course is like from your memory. From the depth of the results previous years I thought it was very fast but I have been told lately that it's lumpy enough. What's your opinion of it?

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Hi Krusty_Clown, good to see you running well. Can I ask you what the Dunshaughlin course is like from your memory. From the depth of the results previous years I thought it was very fast but I have been told lately that it's lumpy enough. What's your opinion of it?
    Hi John, the course isn't bad at all. There are a couple of bumps that do throw you off your stride, but as long as you keep something in the tank up to the 4 mile mark, you will make it over them fine, without much fuss. If you're racing to your limits from the start, then there'a a risk that they much push you into the red zone. Here's the course profile form last year. As you can see, the first couple of miles are fast as they have a gentle decline. The tendency is to get comfortable at a pace faster than you can handle, and then try to carry that pace over the second half (which can end in a world of pain). For myself, I'll probably go out at target pace for the first couple of miles, ease back a little from 4-5 miles and then hopefully pick it up for the fast final 1.2 miles. If you don't run the first half too fast, there's usually other runners to chase down over the last couple of miles. Hope that helps! See you there!

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I see the problem - the route on the website goes up Sandycove Avenue West before heading back to the start/finish line on Marine Parade

The route I got this morning continues further down Breffni Road, turns up Sandycove Avenue East, then across Sandycove Avenue North, down Sandycove Avenue West, and on to Marine Parade
    *cough* sounds a little like the suggested one in the previous Sonia thread. I got a note back from the AAI a couple of days ago, that the course had been accurately measured, so was working on the optimistic premise that the route on the day would differ from the route published on the course. Not going to do the race anyway, as I'll be attending a far more prestigious event (though sadly I'll be attending the beer mile as a spectator, rather than a competitor this year). Instead, I'll be saving myself for the 5,000m on the track next week. Speaking of which - anyone have any tips for racing long distances on the track? As it's a time-trial for me, rather than a race, should I be checking splits ever lap? Every other lap? Will there be a clock on track and how do you calculate for the extra 200m?

Monday: 6 miles recovery + 4 miles recovery - just carrying out system repairs to get me back in shape after a tough week.

Tuesday: 2 miles morning leg stretch + session: 1K + 2K + 3K + 2K + 1K @10K pace
    Training buddy joined me for the hard-ship of my session on Saturday, so it was only fair to reciprocate and join him for his 10k-focused session. I had a gap in my plan due to pushing out my goal race by a few days, and with Dunshaughlin around the corner, this fit the bill nicely. This was his third time doing the session, so I was happy enough to let him do all the leg work (leading out, splits etc.) while I just tagged on the back and did what I was told. I don't believe I've ever done a pyramid session before, so this one was refreshingly different. It was also bloody tough, and were I not just chasing someone else's shadow without having to watch my own splits, I'd likely have succumbed at some point and thrown in the towel. But I made it to the finish, a little physically worse for wear!

2 mile warm-up.
    1km in 3:13 (~5:11/mile)
    400m jog
    2km in 6:31 (~5:15/mile)
    600m jog
    3km in 9:43 (~5:13/mile)
    800m jog
    2km in 6:30 (~5:14/mile)
    600m jog
    1km in 3:15 (~5:14/mile)
    400m jog
    Savagely tough session, but a great feeling to get it done at that pace.
    Summary: Around 11 miles for the day.

Today: 4 miles + 6 miles recovery
    Just trying to undo some of the residual damage from yesterday!

Advertisement