Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sept 7th - 13th: - Lots of miles
    Monday: 6 miles steady + 10 miles easy
    'Steady' is still one of those things that kind of defies definition. Macmillan includes a 'steady state run' pace, which is defined (for me based on recent optimal performances) as 5:36 - 5:50. This doesn't gel well with Magness' use of the term steady, where the plan includes 6, 8 and 12 mile steady runs, and also marathon pace runs that fluctuate between MP and steady pace. So by Magness' definition, steady must be slower that MP and faster than easy pace. This is all largely irrelevant, as I just headed out and ran 'fast'. As it turned out, 'fast' was probably a little too fast, and ended up being 6:08/mile for the 6 miles. Followed up that evening with 10 miles easy, @7:17/mile.

Tuesday: 9 mile easy run + 5 miles easy
    Nice hilly lunch loop, taling in the Scalp and Carrigologan, for an easy 8 miler, followed by a late 5 miles, at a steadier pace.

Wednesday: Session: 5 Miles easy + 5 x (1.5 miles @MP + .5 miles steady)
    This really didn't go as well as I would have hoped, particularly given that I ran a straight 13 miles @MP, just two weeks earlier, so I hoped that running 7.5 miles @MP (interspersed with steady pace sections) would be comfortable enough. It was both hot and windy though, and I suddenly seemed to have dropped a couple of pounds in the preceding days, so may have been off my game a little. First one was handy, and all was well with the world (in fact, I over-compensated for the hill and wind, and ended up running a few seconds too fast (5:41 pace). Second time around, I repeated the mistake, and again ran it too fast (5:41 pace). Third time - some payback - felt a good chunk harder (5:43 pace) and my steady pace was dropping. Fourth one was a real struggle - my inability to hold onto my target pace finally catching up with me, and I had to abandon my steady run, in favour of a not so steady walk. So tempted to call it a day, but couldn't think of any excuses, so slowly made my way back to the start location, grabbed a sip of water, and launched into the final rep. Got to the end, just about (5:44 pace), but the run back to work was a bit of a disaster. Had to stop a few times and regroup. Even had to walk some of the hillier sections. I was pretty broken. Having said all that, I'm not too down-beat. Every program will have days like this and what's more important is that I stuck it out and got the final rep done. I just hope the pace start to feel a little easier soon. Total: ~17.5 miles

Thursday: 7 recovery + 7 easy

Friday: 9 mile run into work + 9 mile run home
    With a 9 mile double in the schedule, running a longer route into work and back home seemed the best way to optimize my time, so I wouldn't spend the entire day working, running and sleeping. The hillier morning route actually didn't feel too bad (even with the backpack) and ended up at a comfortable 7:23/mile. Then the weather arrived and the run home was a rather unpleasant experience between the rain and moderate head-wind, though I took some joy from running past the miles and miles of traffic.

Saturday: Session: 2 Miles @10k / 1 Mile @5K / 800@3K w/4 mins rest (2 x 400 @1 Mile w/1 minute)
    The purpose of the previous day's 9 mile double seems to be to tire the legs out, so you end up doing this workout on relatively tired legs. Well, it worked. Charlesland track was all booked out, so with a moderate wind, I felt the circuitous nature of a track environment would be useful (and didn't want to rely on dodgy GPS), so headed to the cinder track. I expected the 2 miles at 10k pace to be very difficult, so was slightly surprised when I got through it without too much fuss (5:19/mile pace). The mile @5k pace was significantly harder, but only having to cover four laps certainly helped. Only managed 5/10/mile pace, but I'll take it! After another four minutes rest, it was two laps at 3K pace. Blasted out for the first 200m way too fast, and it cost me. Had to just hang on for a very painful lactic-filled remaining 600m, to finish just off my target (actual: 2:26). Then finally into the 2 x 400m at mile pace (with 1 minute rest). Target was 69/70, but ran them both in 71, with the legs feeling like lead. I think that's pretty much the expected outcome of this session, so once again, job done! Total: 9.7 miles.

Sunday: 23 mile easy Glencree loop
    The plan called an 8-10 mile recovery run, but with few long runs in recent weeks and a planned drop in mileage this week for the Charleville Half, I wanted to get out for a medium long run and was willing to sacrifice pace to do so. Got a text about an early morning run up to Glencree, and it seemed to fit the bill - the only problem was the planned distance was 23-24 miles, which would push me way beyond my planned weekly mileage, so made me a little nervous. I planned a number of opt-out options, so I could pull up and get a lift home after 15/18 miles, but in the end, didn't need them. In hindsight the route was probably a bad idea as it involved a significant climb, followed by a significant de-climb - less than ideal the day after speed-work on the cinder track. And I almost paid for my poor judgement.

Made it to the top of the climb (12.5 miles) pretty comfortably, just finding the last half mile a bit of a struggle, but as I headed down the descent, I got a sudden jolt from my left calf. I pulled up immediately and stretched it out and shortly afterwards it was gone as quick as it arrived. My guess is that after the previous day's session, the long uphill run stretched out the calf muscle, and as soon as I hit the downhill, it compressed and started to knot - but I seem to have sorted it, as it didn't bother me afterwards. Made it back to Bray after 23 miles in one piece, with my sore nips being the only casualty for the long run through Wicklow's misty mountains. Total: 23 miles @7:03/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

With a bit of quick mental arithmetic, I make that 110 miles for the week, Is that your highest ever?

menoscemo wrote: »
    With a bit of quick mental arithmetic, I make that 110 miles for the week, Is that your highest ever?
    Last year, I ran a 90-100-110 pattern a few times, to average out at 100mpw. This time around, I've dropped it back to just doing 100mpw, with the occasional 80 mile race week. Last week was a bit of an anomoly, as I stuck with the plan all week, before doing an extra 15 on Sunday, to bring it to 115. I got through it ok, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to run that mileage again. While the quality didn't suffer, there were certainly symptoms of over-training (sudden weight loss, insomnia, loss of sense of humour (lol! < Itziger!)).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

You're doing fine man, keep going. 115 miles. Serious bloody commitment that is. Nothing but respect for your efforts.

So it's Frankfurt again, yeah? Remember not to make that 3.164 metre detour to donate funds to the starving children of the BCE top brass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

That's some mileage.

• Advertisement

Monday: 5 + 10 grass recovery

Tuesday: 12 miles steady
    Wasn't sure what pace to aim for given the longer 'steadiness', so aimed for 6:30/mile and took in a big loop that took me temptingly close to home. Resisted the temptation, and was rewarded by the sight of Pronator, flying in the opposite direction, looking lean and ready to take on the world again. Next few miles were a long drag into a head-wind, and I felt like I was struggling a little, so was surprised to see some brisk splits beeping up occasionally on the watch - goes to show the difference between perception and reality. Finished up with an average pace of 6:26/mile, with a low HR, which is a positive sign.

Wednesday: 6.3 miles easy + 7.7 miles recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Gary,

Just want to congratulate you on a fantastic run - sounds like the conditions weren't great, but that didn't put a halt to your gallop.

I was browsing here a week or so ago and saw your list of marathon achievements - as a long time lurker of course I'm well aware of your long string of fantastic performances, however when you see it summarised in one sentence it really underlines what a long road you've travelled (pun fully intended.) It makes me feel all nostalgic for the days in '09/'10 when we were leapfrogging each other's times on a regular basis, until you decided to get serious about this running thing.

I'll be looking forward to your race report, and the one from Frankfurt....

Glad to see you put that young lad TRR in his place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

All of this continuos improvement is getting a bit monotonous!

Every time I come on here the default is usually another PB biting the dust or another 100 mile week.

Any chance you could throw in a bit of drama or some failure or shortcoming for a change! You're an auld lad now, start acting your age :)

1.13 wasn't bad I suppose, best of luck with the rest of your training cycle.

Ps. Did you ever buy yourself a new belt!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

73 minutes flat!! Jaysus! Some running! And to think of the time you bit the head off me for suggesting you could run 75 minutes! :D

Some fireworks to come in October by the looks of things.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Super stuff, well done.

• Advertisement

Thursday: 8 Miles steady with strides
    Wanted to get out for 10 miles with some quality at the end (maybe a few miles at planned HMP), but soon relaized that I didn't have time with some scheduled meetings, so settled for 6 miles steady with strides, and managed to squeeze in a couple of miles at the end to bring it to 8 miles. Had been listening to Magness' coaching podcast, where they spoke of aerobic miles at the end of a session to help manage acidosis, so wanted to put it to the test, even if it wasn't a hard session. Didn't work. Felt decidedly worse. Magness is a god-damn liar. :) Ran a couple of miles in the evening, just to warm-up the body before the rare stretching routine. 8 miles @6:29 + 2 miles.

Friday: 7.6 miles easy
    Body feeling pretty stiff and tired. Not sure if it's the stretching routine, a couple of back to back steady days, or simply the body anticipating the upcoming race at the weekend. In any case, I've learned that how you feel in the days before a race has little relevance to how you perform in the race.

Saturday: 4 miles easy
    Feels strange. Ordinarily, Friday's and Saturdays are for whacking out hard sessions, followed by lashings of rewarding beer. With neither of those options available, I feel restless and uneasy. While the first mile is stiff and tired, the body loosens up over the next three and soon I'm feeling a little more relaxed about the Charleville adventure. I packed up my stuff, and jumped into a car full of runners, who make my race times and performances seem decidedly average. It's going to be an interesting 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Great time on Sunday. Horrible weather maybe if you wore the special hat you might have a 72:xx :). Glad to see they sorted out the category results as well.

This is not going to be an exciting race report. No harrowing tales of mighty battles or struggles against the odds. No tempests or thunderstorms, no ill-conceived race strategies, no aggressive targets, just steady pack-running. I haven’t really raced (time-trialled) a half marathon in a number of years, despite running a couple of PBs over the distance in the same period. Last year I finished in a rather flattering 2nd place in Longford Half Marathon in 75:51, in what I hoped at the time would be an approximation of my marathon pace (well, that didn’t happen!). I followed that up with a proper PB attempt in Athlone, but a herniated disc in my back the previous week (rock-climbing) twinned with a diet of valium and anti-inflammatories put paid to my attempt, as I jogged home the final 6 miles to the finish.

4-5 weeks ago, I finished fifth in Tullamore in 1:15:37 - again optimistically targeting marathon pace (outcome yet to be determined!), where with rising temperatures, the last few miles were a bit of a slog. So with Frankfurt looming, I wanted to get a feel for exactly where I stood, and no better place than Charleville. The race has beckoned me for a number of years, but the logistics have always stood in the way and with just five weeks to the Frankfurt start-line, the timing wasn’t perfect. I wanted to run well, but didn’t want to interrupt my training so, as with most of my tune-up races, I’d estimate that I was around 85-90% committed. No beer for two weeks, dropped my mileage to 80 miles for the week (including the race), and eased back in the last couple of days before the race. The only thing I needed was a target. Up jumped a Facebook post from the WAC Waterford Half Marathon offering free entries for sub elite runners who can run under 73 minutes, and I thought - sorted.. It didn’t hurt that TRR and Jebus had similar targets, so a good chance of a strong group to run in.

Fast forward to the start line, and there are many familiar faces. My training buddy is shooting for a 71:xx, and I reckon he’s in with a really good shot. Maria’s looking for 72, so should be part of our group. Jebus says hello and I’m surprised, as I expected him to be taller (the mental image I had from his Strava picture having been stretched out in my mind), and TRR in the unmistakable Tallaght red and yellow. There’s not much standing around (which is appreciated given the rain and breeze), and we’re off pretty quickly. After a couple of hundred metres, we hit a right hand turn and a downhill and the crowd stretches out. I find myself running alongside TRR and Jebus, and we chat briefly, while we’re still breathing easily. The first mile ticks off in 5:20, but it’s down-hill, so not great shock or cause for concern - we’ll soon settle down. We have already formed a group - approximately 8-10 strong runners. I can see my training buddy up ahead, running alongside Maria, Myles (from SBR), and someone in a green singlet, bearing a 1:12 pacer sign on his back. They open up a gap over the next couple of miles, and we don’t feel any great need to chase them down as we all seem to have a common goal, of getting through most of the race distance as comfortably as possible. Miles tick off in 5:34/5:33/5:34, and I’m hanging in the middle of the pack feeling very comfortable and glad to just see the miles ticking off.

Gradually Jebus and his Leevale team-mate break off from the group along with one or two other runners and I’m wondering if they can hold the more aggressive pace. Outside of the larger group they’ll have to put in more work into the cross-wind, but if they can hold on at that pace, they’ll be in for a great time. We’re still in a 10-strong pack of runners and I’m feeling really good. I can feel a slight niggle in my right calf, but otherwise, I’m very comfortable. The road is slippy underfoot, and I know that it will increase the effort and accentuate any physical distresses, but there’s little I can do about it now. As we head towards Kilmallock, we’re drawing a little closer to the Leevale mini-group, and despite a slight drag, our pace increases in anticipation of absorbing them back into the pack (5:32/5:33), and soon we’re running through Kilmallock main street and for the first time, I find myself near the front of the pack. With an increasing head-wind, I soon tuck in behind another runner, and we pass the 10k mark in around 34:20, and half-way in around 36:20.

The next mile is fast (5:30), and then we round a corner and running into that southerly head-wind for a time. I realize that I haven’t really taken my turn into the wind, and the pace is beginning to flag a little (5:41), so I move to the front of the pack (alongside a really strong M50 runner who I remember from DCM two years earlier) and stay there for a couple of minutes, before moving wide and taking a spot back inside the pack. Another mile and we find ourselves back on the main road. Fantastic team-work within the pack and every time we hit a water station, the bottles are handed around, and nobody is left without a drink. On the long straight road, the pack is beginning to stretch a little. We file into single lines, and we continue the steady run back towards Charleville. Some drags threaten to slow us a little, but we’re now closing on Maria and the pacer and again, the pace surges a little, as we draw closer and make up some places (5:38 / 5:35).

Finally we hit mile 12, with a mile and change to go. I spot TRR running alongside and looking at his watch, doing the mental arithmetic. I’m feeling surprisingly good, but didn’t do my homework to figure out where we were in terms of the overall goal. I ask him how we’re looking, and he responds that we have a little over 6 minutes to get to the finish line. I think ‘great’ that’s plenty. I think about it and gradually, come to realize that it’s not great at all. That gives us ~5:30 for the mile and 30 seconds for the .1 of a mile. Nope, not great at all. I start to pick up the pace and am surprised when no-one goes with me and there’s no-one ahead. I’m not trying to race anybody, just focussed on getting to the finish line as quickly as possible and expending any remaining energy. Still, it’s disconcerting to suddenly get passed by another runner who seems to have much greater speed at this stage of the race.

I get a shout of encouragement from Gerry (62 minute HM) and then realize I have a hill to climb. Not a metaphoric hill, a real hill and the going is slightly tougher. Then suddenly another runner passes at much greater velocity. He passes first me, and then the other runner, heading very strongly towards the finish. I can see some high-vis jackets in the distance, but they seem very far away. Eventually, I reach them, marking the final turn to the finish line. I can see the clock over the finish line, but with the rain in my eyes, I can’t read the digits. Eventually, I draw close enough.. 1:12:50.. I’m still 100m away. Too far, too far.. All too late, I pick up the pace, knowing that it’s futile and that I’ve already lost. The extra spurt of speed achieves nothing, but brings me close to spewing as I cross the finish line. 1:13:03.

I check my watch, thinking that maybe there’s a discrepancy with the clock, but no.. It’s showing 1:13:02. My chip-time is 1:13:01. I know I should be happy - I’ve just taken more than two and half minutes off my PB, but I know that I didn’t run nearly as hard as I could have. It’s probably one of the least physically challenging long distances races I’ve run in a long time. But I made my choices long before arriving in Charleville, so i have no right to be disappointed when the outcome lines up exactly with those choices.

I have taken many positives from the experience. My average HR was 158 and peaked at 171. In Tullamore a few weeks back, when running at marathon pace at the end of a 100 mile week, I averaged 163 on a distinctly warmer day and found the going over the last few miles pretty tough. So this gives me a little more confidence that my planned marathon pace may be more achievable than I felt, driving away from Tullamore 5 weeks ago. What a difference a few degrees and a mini-taper can make. Also, I’ve settled almost entirely back into training, with only a minor niggle, so the cost has been low. I don’t feel like I’ve done myself justice over the half marathon distance, but hopefully, there’ll be further opportunities to put myself to the test.

Finished up in 12th overall, which again is a little flattering, as all the fast guys and gals are headed off to Berlin and further afield, in search of Olympic rings, and somehow, ended up 2nd M40, despite finishing 4th M40? So yep, lots to be happy about. 5 weeks to Frankfurt. Head down, one foot in front of the other.

aero2k wrote: »
    Glad to see you put that young lad TRR in his place!
    Can't take any joy from that, as he was instrumental in helping me get the time I achieved. Plus he's not young any longer. :)
    Did you ever buy yourself a new belt!
    I got a number of them, thanks largely to your musing! They don't feel quite as huggy though. I miss my old belt. Thanks for ruining everything!
    Chivito550 wrote:
    73 minutes flat!! Jaysus! Some running! And to think of the time you bit the head off me for suggesting you could run 75 minutes!
    When faced with an elephant, it's easier to get out your spoon and start eating. Who knows what the next training cycle will hold. It could be my last - it could be the first chapter of my next cycle. The only certainty is that every year, I'm getting a year older!
    Ger664 wrote:
    Horrible weather maybe if you wore the special hat you might have a 72:xx
    I actually saw him finishing, and despite the heavy rain, he had no hat. Can you ask him if he felt that it affected his performance? Could you just use a bundle of newspapers and a piece of twine, or do you have to get it from a sailor's supply shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

bearing a 1:12 pacer sign

really? jaysus

RayCun wrote: »
    really? jaysus
    It really should have read 'Maria pacer', as he slowed, when she slowed and they both finished outside of 1:12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great to see the continual improvement as always.
    It sounds like yourself and Maria could have similar targets in Frankfurt?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great to see the continual improvement as always.
    It sounds like yourself and Maria could have similar targets in Frankfurt?
    Hard to know what her target is for Frankfurt. My plan is to aim for approximately 5:45/mile (or whatever feels pretty comfortable on the day), which could see a hypothetical finish of around 2:32. It might also result in another 2:48. Time will tell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Belated congrats as we didn't get to see you after (too busy picking up your prize ;) ), hope the PB beers went down well. You got the 2nd o/40 prize as the first two o/40 probably opted for the top 10 prizes. It was a bit painful watching this being worked out. This was the only downside of a really great race, the prize giving was an absolute shambles and was pretty much the same last year too.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Belated congrats as we didn't get to see you after (too busy picking up your prize ;) ), hope the PB beers went down well. You got the 2nd o/40 prize as the first two o/40 probably opted for the top 10 prizes. It was a bit painful watching this being worked out. This was the only downside of a really great race, the prize giving was an absolute shambles and was pretty much the same last year too.
    Thanks and sorry! Didn't realize I was in with a shot of a prize (and truth be told, shouldn't really be getting one). We were getting pretty cold after the race, so opted for the warmth and bubbliness of the hotel, rather than the sugar-rushedness of the community hall! By the time we got your message, we were half way back to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Can't take any joy from that, as he was instrumental in helping me get the time I achieved. Plus he's not young any longer. :)

He's in denial though - wonder how many pints he bought Davedanon to get him to post that pic of an 18 year old trr.:D

Fantastic running. It's very interesting to read - again - how uneventful a PB performance can be, especially for someone as well prepared as yourself.

Glad you got a prize, albeit with a little help. I'm currently reading "Flow" and the author (as unspellable as he is unpronounceable) points out the origin of "compete" in the Greek for "search together". Your race report along with those of Jebus and TRR really capture that essence of racing - although it's nice to finish ahead of others, the real enjoyment comes from the shared struggle to get the best out of yourself.

Just to continue the log hijack, the author goes on to explain the original meaning of dilettante (I jokingly imagined Jerry Kiernan calling you that once) as a complimentary term referring to someone who tries lots of different things in the spirit of curiosity and adventure. That certainly applies to you, with your alpine marathons, XC, Comrades, rock climbing, motorcycling, beer drinking, blogging. Long may the adventure continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just to continue the log hijack, the author goes on to explain the original meaning of dilettante (I jokingly imagined Jerry Kiernan calling you that once) as a complimentary term referring to someone who tries lots of different things in the spirit of curiosity and adventure. That certainly applies to you, with your alpine marathons, XC, Comrades, rock climbing, motorcycling, beer drinking, blogging. Long may the adventure continue.

Not to mention a foray into the world of 400m running and beer mileing.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not to mention a foray into the world of 400m running and beer mileing.

Well, in attempting to sum up 18,000 posts I was bound to forget something. Besides, I didn't want to mention beer twice. As for that 400m thing, sure anyone can lash round a track once, especially if they haven't downed a beer first.:)

Besides, I didn't want to mention beer twice.
    In this log, you can mention beer as many times as you like. This is a beer log, with a bit of running (to make more room for the beer).

Monday: 2 easy + 9 recovery + 3 steady
    A brief beer amnesty after the half marathon, meant having to go pick up the car from Bray so girl-child could get to her scholastic retreat. Followed up with 9 miles at a very, very relaxed pace, then some rock climbing with the boss, and then found myself with 25 minutes to spare before a massage, so tucked into the day's missing three miles. They were a little quick, but I worry sometimes about the risk of peeking Peking peaking too early after a race just 5 weeks out from my goal marathon, so these miles were really just about making sure that the subconscious was fully aware that the hard work isn't over, and there's plenty more to come, before we can rest up.

Tuesday: 8 easy + 10 easy
    Headed for the hills for my lunch run, and wasn't feeling the mae west (one of those runs where you head you wearing two socks and come back with only one). Then met up with running buddy for an easy 10 miles, where we dissected the weekend's run, to figure out what it meant and how the next few weeks should plan out. A general sense of weariness, probably the result of coming back too heavily too quickly.

Wednesday: 3 mile tester + 15 mile easy
    Headed out for a 3 mile tester in the morning, to see if I was sufficiently recovered to tackle a track pyramid. Body said yes, but overall tiredness said no. As the day went on, felt more and more tired, so by the end of the work day, I'd ruled out the track session. Opted instead to head of for a medium long run, hitting the country roads before darkness descended. I had thought to do a progression run, but again tiredness prevailed, so was happy enough to trudge around for the 15 miles, at an easy 7:28/mile, though energy levels bottomed out a couple of times (even stopped off in my workplace to much on some crackers).

Thursday: 6.3 steady + 10 miles steady
    10k steady at lunch-time as energy levels were restored, and then met running buddy for 10 miles in the evening. He wanted to run steady, and after a couple of miles I didn't notice the steady pace so a good day of running....Until once again the stomach problems struck. A bit of unexplained gut rot this week, particularly as the diet has been pretty solid, since the pints on Sunday.

Friday: 5 + 5 recovery
    With the Kilomarathon the following day, the pace just naturally slowed to something preparatory - coincidentally 7:48/mile for both of my runs.

Saturday: Kilomarathon
    Plan was to try to hold onto a marathon target of 5:45/mile for as long as possible. The weather was similar to last year, so between the week's high volume, tiredness from Charleville and bright sunshine, I expected some level of slow-down towards the end of the run but was prepared to jog the last mile or two if needed. Good to meet up with vanderlyle, theboyblunder and jcsmum, who were all also lining up for the Kilomarathon. Recognized 3-4 front-runners from previous runnings of the race, so figured I'd end up inn a similar finishing position to previous years, though that was largely irrelevant - it was a all about the training benefit.

First few miles: Race kicked off and we launched immediately into the uphill climb towards the finish line (that we wouldn't get to appreciate for another 16 miles). Tudor Moldovan was aiming for the course record, so had opened up a decent gap within the first few hundred metres, with a couple of Raheny runners in pursuit, and another runner who'd finished on the podium previously. I found myself in 5th position, which was familiar territory and settled into the task at hand. Hit the downhill and I tried to relax into marathon pace, but the effort levels felt pretty high and I worried that perhaps it was too soon since the last race. But gradually I just forgot about the effort levels, and eased my way into the run. My average pace was 5:45, but still effort levels felt high (a damn sight higher than the significantly faster Half the previous week).

Next bit: I could still just about make out the winner in the distance, but the rest of the runners had spread out, with 2nd and 3rd running side by side, and 4th place around 400m ahead of me. Gradually though, the gap was closing. I was consistent with my 5:45/mile pace, so he must have been slowing. Caught up with him as we hit my favourite section of the route - a fast, flat hard-shoulder along a national road. I passed, more in the act of maintaining my pace rather than any goal to make up a place, and he jumped in behind me, taking advantage of a little shelter from the slight head-wind. We turned right, into a more direct head-wind, and still he stayed a metre behind. We ran around twist and turns in the road, with nobody else to be seen, but still he stuck rigidly to his position, just a metre behind. I was taking all of the head-wind and feeling the effort, so I was getting a little frustrated that he was just going to sit there in my shadow. We were after all deciding 4th and 5th positions in the race, so to just sit in and let me do the work just seemed a little....unsportsmanlike. Eventually, I'd had enough and turned back and asked him if he was going to take his turn. Maybe he didn't hear me, but he answered non-committedly. That was enough for me, so I injected a bit of pace and opened a gap of maybe 10m, and he didn't chase in pursuit (which if he had, would have made for a very unusual situation!). Anyway, back on my own, I felt a little more comfortable and returned my focus to trying to stay as comfortable as possible - now in 4th place.

The bit after: The kilometer markers was ticking off with great regularity, and it was great to hit 13k and begin the count-down. Body temperature and effort levels were definitely rising though, and the water bottles I grabbed, were doing little to quench the rising heat. Some gentle climbs over the next few miles saw a slight drop in pace, but it's a pretty undulating course. Strangely, 2n3 and 3rd place weren't widening the gap - in fact they seemed to be getting closer. So though my pace dropped a little, their paces must have slipped a little more. Hit the 10 mile mark in around 57:40, so still pretty much on target. Felt like I was slowing, so was surprised to see a 5:44 split pop up for my 11th mile and that gave me a boost. The next miles were tough, with general uphill climb and some rolling hills. I'd stopped glancing at the watch knowing that it wouldn't tell me anything that might be useful, but the hills and heat took their toll, with a 5:58 12th mile and a 5:52 13th mile.

Nearly the last bit: I'd noticed that 2nd and 3rd had split up, and 3rd was coming back towards me a little quicker. We were now working our way through the back of the 10k field (walkers), and dealing with the occasional tractor+plough combos (not a great thing to have in the middle of a race!), when suddenly 3rd place pulled-up fairly sharpish. I passed him and he looked like he was in some discomfort, though it wasn't clear what it was that was causing the distress (turned out be some nasty blisters that left his shoe a bloody mess). So strangely, I now found myself in 3rd place. I was hurting a lot at this point, but I had a slightly greater incentive to not screw anything up. Kept the pace steady and ticked of a 5:47 (which wasn't easy as I was suffering quite a bit), and then eased back, in order to get myself into reasonable shape to tackle the final hill that led to the finish line.

The last bit: Finally hit the last hill. Nobody in sight ahead (apart from the streams of 10k runners), and glancing back, I couldn't see anybody moving at pace, so I cruised my way into the finish line, with a 5:56 and 6:06, before the final stretch took me over the finish line, while Billy Porter (local Wicklow legend), regaled the crowd with my accomplishment (never tell him anything; he forgets nothing!). Finished 2 minutes and change down on first place and slightly less than a minute down on second place, with 4tf 2.5 minutes back (but didn't I mention that places weren't important to me ?!). theboyblunder came in soon after, having run a really solid time (that in the past would have put me in 2:38 shape), and then JCSmum outpaced one of our own Wicklow high performers, to win the women's race. Dunno about the fellas, but the Bros Pearse are certainly churning out some high performing women-folk!

My average pace for the run was 5:50, which I'm pretty happy with, given the mileage this week, half marathon PB last weekend, and heat of the day. When I ran this race last year, I averaged 6:02/mile and was a little bit pissed off, but still ran a 5:55/mile marathon, so I'll take it for what it was - a very solid session.
    Summary: 26.2km, in 1:34:42, @5:50/mile.

In this log, you can mention beer as many times as you like. This is a beer log, with a bit of running (to make more room for the beer).

Ha, ha - I shouldn't have worried, after I posted the above I stumbled on the Frankfurt thread - did you actually mention running at all?

Well done on the podium spot, but more importantly well done on that average pace - 5.50 per mile and comfortable at that - Frankfurt won't know what hit it.

Well done on the podium spot, but more importantly well done on that average pace - 5.50 per mile and comfortable at that - Frankfurt won't know what hit it.
    Cheers Sean, but it was far from comfortable! Heart rate wasn't too bad though, which goes to show that once again, my perception and my reality are often separated by great chasms! HR ended up averaging out at the same level as the Charleville half marathon last weekend (158), despite dropping the pace by 15 seconds per mile, which I'm largely going to put down to the rising temperatures in Moone, rested legs and pack running. So fingers crossed that Frankfurt will be a cool, overcast day.

Sunday: 13 miles recovery easy
    Was up early and glued to the Berlin app on my tablet, watching the Irish qualification race unfold (and tracking fine performances, from some folks around these parts). Then headed out to meet Dublin Runner and running buddy, for an easy few miles. That plan lasted the first mile (around 8 min mile), after which point the lads who were clearly much fresher than me chatted away and naturally picked up the pace. My only saving grace was that I was determining the route, so I made sure not to give them any advance directions, so they'd have to slow and wait for me at the various junctions (of which there were many)! Survived the run though, and an hour of easy rock climbing - more focused on stretching the muscles out, but was pretty fooked for the rest of the day. Will start dropping the mileage from this week onwards, to bring a little more zip into the legs.

Today: 7 miles recovery
    This is the run that I should have done yesterday. 7 loping miles that started at around 9 minute mile, and gradually eased out to 7:24/mile - a good sign that the recovery run is doing its job. Will do another 7 miles shortly, as have a massage booked for later.

Monday: 7 + 7 miles easy
    Was booked in for an evening massage, so was fortuitous that I woke early, and got the first of my two easy runs over and done with before work. Another 7 miles at lunch-time, just to make sure the calfs were nice and tender before the massage. Second time having a Thai massage, and she skilfully identified every niggle I've had, ever, and exploited that knowledge for maximum pain potential. I tend to forget about the rest of my body (beyond the bits and pieces attached to the legs, so was good to get some work done on some of the other peripheral attachments.

Tuesday: Morning: Run + hill sprints / Evening: 10 miles easy
    First hill sprint session in a while, aided by perhaps the best running day of the year so far. Even the flat-out hill-sprints couldn't disturb the peace and serenity of the lee below Barnaslingan. All I was missing was a picnic blanket, some hang sangiches, and a bottle of beer cooling in the nearby stream, for post sprint recovery, but alas, I had to head back to the orifice.

Followed up later that evening, with a largely unnecessary 10 mile run, which probably was as close to junk miles or counterproductive miles as I have come in this program. In hindsight, it would have been better to take the rest of the day off after the hill-sprints, given the engagement of rarely used muscle groups, but who can argue with views like this?

C004557116334491BAB1B3F2EAFE08FB-0000325964-0003803786-00800L-FCAE12E7DB9542E7A387B2287AF9CD1B.jpg

and this:
    7AF66A4B656C499C93D0F291C6729CEB-0000325964-0003803785-00800L-D14E6103C30D4F3CBD34268342283244.jpg

Hitting the final high mileage week of this campaign, it's a timely reminder that I run because I love running. The places it takes you, the people you meet, the races you experience. It's not just about the minutes and seconds or the health benefits, or even the brief escape from work, but about living the moments. Experiencing the life that exists outside of the television.

Too zen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Never too Zen Lord Snowdon!

I love the second pic, is that Kilbogget? Is there enough light to run there safely after dark?

wrstan wrote: »
    I love the second pic, is that Kilbogget? Is there enough light to run there safely after dark?
    Yep, that's Kilbogget. In terms of safety, it kind of depends what you intend to be safe from! If you mean 'can you see the paths?', then yeah, it's pretty well lit all the way from Deansgrange as far as the cinder track. I usually turn off by the cinder track and hit the N11. If you mean 'can you see the wookies?', then the answer's pretty much the same. I turn off at the cinder track. :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday:
    AM: 2.5 mile leg stretcher
    PM: Session: 1k/2k/3k/2k/1k @10k w/400/600/walk/walk recovery

Between a week book-ended by the Charleville Half Marathon and the Moone Kilomarathon, I had missed out on my Magness speed-work session, so wanted to get some running done faster than marathon pace. Training buddy was planning to hit the track to repeat a session we'd done back in June (at the end of 5k training). It had been pretty grueling then, and with the focus firmly shifted to marathon distance training, I figured it would be far tougher now, but the company during the session would be good for a change. Lovely cool evening on the track would certainly help, but with a good chunk of mileage in the legs from the previous week and a long 16 mile race at close to marathon pace, figured I might struggle a little. First 1k was comfortable enough (though a few seconds off of target (3:18)). I took the lead for the next one, and surprisingly (perhaps preoccupied with watching the splits) that one felt a little easier (6:28). The 3k was particularly tough, but was glad to have it done (9:47). Abandoned all plans for an active (easy) recovery and just walked back to the start line, waiting for Neil to complete his lap before hitting the next one. 6:31 for the next 2k and again, did the walk of shame, as Neil ticked off another recovery lap. Final 1k (3:13) wasn't as bad, as despite picking up the pace, it was over before it got really hard. Another damn fine (but damn hard session), that reinforced that marathon training hadn't completely wiped out any earlier speed gains. Recoveries were a little easier than last time; HR was a little lower, but largely down to the cooler day. I'll happily take the draw.

Thursday: 8 + 8 recovery
    Was strangely awake since 4am (probably a little dehydrated from the previous night's run), so read a book until the darkness dwindled, and dawn became more than a threat, and headed out along the coast towards Bray. A cracking morning, but truth be told, I'd rather have been in bed asleep, even though I did capture this pretty picture at the base of Bray Head:

474D61ABFF1C4DCD94D37A25B9A101EC-0000325964-0003803783-00800L-E68E79D706AB4239A0FCCEA55DE0CA97.jpg

Advertisement