Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ahh.. Always thought it seemed quite uniformly cut! Are you a member of the Bray Runners AC?
    Yeah, it's bang on 2km (give or take 10m). Also, the field at the front (GAA pitches) is a mouse's fart off of 800m.

Route Map

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

+1 to that. Shangannagh is great. Its great to have a local amenity which is invariably flat with plenty of grass. The only pity at times is the wind which can blow in hard from the sea, but thats nitpicking.;)

Good to see you back running KC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Are you a member of the Bray Runners AC?

On and off since 1984 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

On a positive note, my Orca S2 arrived, and so did the bike.

Big difference between the Cayo and the Giant. It's lighter, gears are smoother (but will take some getting used to), and power output seems more immediate. I was able to stay comfortably in the saddle for one of the nearby hills, where I'd be standing on the pedals on the Giant. Looking forward to a proper spin,

Ooooh, new stuff! new stuff! very exciting, lovely bike by the way. May you get many miles of happy ridin' out of it:D

No more new stuff for a while, or there'll be no milk for the babas. :)

I figured out what the fourth sport in triathlon is. Thank god you don't have to do a transition putting on the wetsuit! I hope it's easier to take off when it's wet. Hope to give the suit it's baptism on Friday, down at the 40 foot.

• Advertisement

4 mile recovery run this morning, in 34:22 @8:34/mile. Even though I started at 10:30am and was only out for 30 minutes, I was still down a couple of pounds when I arrived home, due to the heat.

+15 mile cycle in 57 mins, around Greystones and home. Lovin' the new bike, but riding through Bray is a pain in the a$$. Everybody was out to get me. Dump trucks, cop-cars, Amy Winehouse-wannabees, grandads, irate white van man, and granny with poodle.

I need to find some routes with good roads, and less Bray.
    Rounded off the triathlon day with a swim with the kids. Tired now.

26.8 mile cycle: Drove out to Greystones to a friends house, and we headed off to Wicklow, via Kilcoole. Stopped for a coffee, and back by Ashford. Really nice cycle. Quiet roads, flat, and good surface. Even though it was very leisurely, my pace was up on my recent cycles, which goes to show what impact traffic has on a short local cycle. Will definitely do this route again, and stretch it on beyond to Arklow, or other towns where there's decent road surfaces. Fun!

Forgot to restart the Garmin on the way back (missed 5 miles).

Summary: 26.8 miles, @26km/hr.

+11 mile medium long run. First couple of miles were tough, after the cycle earlier today, as I hadn't eaten/drank enough, but eased into the run after that. The medium-long cycle/run combination seems to be a great way of getting a really good workout, without over-taxing the limbs/muscles, i.e. it's a really good cardio workout, and you can emulate your glycogen depleted long run, without having to overtax the running-specific muscles. Plus I get to take the next two days off and focus on my studies (and beer). :) Happy with today's 3+ hours. Feels like I'm making great progress these days.

Summary: 11 Miles in 1:26, @7:49/mile, HR=141

What a roller-coaster weekend. Got a call in the pub on Friday. Job Offer. Gainfully employed again. Wahoo! Couple of hours later, thrown down a couple of steps by a muppet, land badly on a concrete floor, cuts and bruises, mild sprain on big toe, couple of minor pulled muscles, and feels like my previous injury has re-awakened itself. Devastated. Really hoping it's only a temporary flare-up and that everything resolves itself over the next few days, and hope I can be back running by Tuesday or Wednesday. Thank fnck for the bike.

Went out this afternoon and did 40 miles, from Shankill to Roundwood via Enniskerry, and back by Newtown Mxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and Kilcoole. Nice cycle (except for two bee stings) and some wind and rain when I got close to home. Just glad to be able to get out and do some exercise, as both running and swimming are off the cards for a few days at least.

Summary: 40 miles in 2:28, @26km/hr. HRM broke (it's been that kind of a weekend).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

congrats on the new job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great stuff on the job front KC.. Hope that leg is ok for you. I guess it's worth taking at least a few days off at this stage just in case..

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

talk about a weekend of hi's and lo's!
    Hope the cuts and bruises (and bee stings) heal quickly.
    great news about the job though!

Thanks all. Constant icing, and I think I should be good to run on Tuesday/Wednesday (will look like I've been through a few round with John Duddy though).

As for the bee stings, is this normal on the bike?! Should I be wearing kevlar? Is Lycra sting proof? One feicir went straight through my Connemara marathon top :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Ha ha fun weekend so KC! Nice one getting back into employment, although it should add an extra challenge to training now ;)

Might as well try and get the training in while I can.

This afternoon, a dreadful 17 miles. Thought I was mostly over the weekend's shenanigans, and really needed a break from college report writing, so threw caution to the wind and put on the running gear as soon as I saw a break in the rain. Plan was to catch up on Sunday's missed 17 mile run, picking up the pace for the last 5. Didn't go to plan. After I got far enough away that I couldn't turn back, the sprained toe started to throb. After that, developed a couple of large blisters. Then the rain came back. So hobbled around, and didn't enjoy it much. Tried to stick to the grass for the blisters, but when travelling Dublin roads, there isn't much of it about.

Enough of the negativity. It's done.
    Summary: 17 miles in a slow and painful 2:19, @8:13/mile.

45 Mile cycle: Decided to celebrate the end of my college course with a bit of a cycle. Had planned to do 50 miles, but my calf (injury from the weekend) started to tighten up, so called it quits at 45 miles. Still, an enjoyable spin. Headed to to Wicklow and back, but from Shankill this time, adding another 19 miles to the route.

Speed was up, despite an unfavourable wind, that seemed to follow me! Average: 28.4km for the 45 miles. Definitely a pretty flat route though. Will do some hills at the weekend. Lovin' the bike. Especially now that I've picked up some padded undershorts, which were a great investment!

Summary: 45 mile cycle in 2:32, @ 28.4km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Will do some hills at the weekend. Lovin' the bike. Especially now that I've picked up some padded undershorts, which were a great investment!

best few quid you ll ever spend on your backside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

congrats on jobs , commiserations on the toe , you seem to have upped the mileage seriously on the bike , since you mentioned been a bit broke from the bike expenditure, there is good deals for bike accessories in lidl at the moment , might get them fairly cheap with a bottle of milk for the babas , they got pumps ( proper ones for proper bikes , since you now qualify ) , lights , reflectors , cycle wear , bike pouches ( with repair stuff ), got all the stuff i need for under €30 .

Today: 11 mile lactate threshold run.
    Was out celebrating last night, so I was tired and hungover this morning when I peeled open the bible to see: eek! 11 mile run, with 6 miles at 15k pace. Body was stiff and sore, so I decided I'd head to the hills instead, for a sobering hill run. After two miles I was surprised that I was running quite comfortably, so headed for the park instead of up the hill climb. 6 miles later at 6:40/mile, I was still feeling ok. So glad to have done the scheduled run, but tired now, and heading off to Croke Park shortly. No rest for the wicked. :cool:

Summary: 11 miles in 1:18, with 6@6:40/mile.

• Advertisement

Today: Skipped the 5 mile recovery run, and did a 5 mile hike with some buddies, up Luggala. Working the different set of muscles helped, but the blister that developed on Tuesday, and incubated on Friday turned into a monster, despite weak attempts at fixing it, so it hurt like hell.

I have an 18 mile run tomorrow, so when I got home from the hike (after the mandatory pint of Guinness and Goulash soup), I took out the scalpel and did some proper surgery on it. That blister won't be troubling me again. Hopefully will be ok for the run. Nothing worse than a big bilster to spoil a long run.

Summary: 5 Mile recovery hike in 3 hours!

Today: 18 Mile LSR. It was quite tough after the strenuous LT session two days ago and the postponed 17 mile LSR on Tuesday. Seems strange scheduling, but when Pfitzinger and Douglas tell you to do something, you don't ask questions, you just shut-up and do as you're told.

Thankfully, yesterday's butchering surgery on the blisters has worked a treat, and they didn't bother me at all. Sprained toe still annoying the feck out of me though. Decided to spray some deep heat on the toe and sore ankle before the run, but had an immediate allergic reaction, so had to sit out the run for a couple of hours. No more deep heat for me. Better to find this out during training though!

Picked up the pace for the last 5 miles - average 7:32/mile, which was comfortable enough.

Summary: 18 miles in 2:21 @7:51/mile.

*Edit*: Just noticed that this run (latest in the GPS map drawing series) looks very like an old spit-fire plane. I tried to do a propeller on the front, but the M50 roundabout was just too busy with cars. :)

spitfire.jpg

Nice running Krusty, when do you hit 20? - invest in some Tiger Balm for getting heat into an area without any reaction - all good Pharmaices and Health food shops.

Hi BeepBeep, I will hit 20 next weekend. Then it's a 15 miler, with 12 at PMP, which will be very informative. Then 20 again. I'm not terribly comfortable with the fact that this plan only has 2x20s (I did 5x20s for my first marathon) but because of coming back from injury I had to stick with a 12 week plan for Berlin.

Good idea on the Tiger Balm. My day used to use it for mosquito bites, many moons ago. Is there nothing that it can't do?!

I got it the wrong way around, it's 15 miles this weekend (with 12 @PMP), and 20 miles next weekend.

Today: Around 8-10 miles MTB'ing around the trails around Carrigologan with the young lad. Great fun, very muddy, and cleared the legs of almost all of the stiffness from yesterday's long run. Garmin was stopping and starting for some reason, so no logs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How's the injury? Fully recovered?

How's the injury? Fully recovered?
    Yep, I'd say so. Though I got involved in a fracas last week (who knew that poker was a full-contact sport?), and ended up with a few new injuries. Nothing serious though. They just make long runs awkward.

(who knew that poker was a full-contact sport?), and ended up with a few new injuries.
    Intriguing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Intriguing?

Don't you hate when people only tell half a story? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Yep, I'd say so. Though I got involved in a fracas last week (who knew that poker was a full-contact sport?), and ended up with a few new injuries. Nothing serious though. They just make long runs awkward.

Surely online poker would be a safer pass time during the lead up to a marathon KC...;)

Advertisement