Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

first triathlon officially completed so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Haha. You'll notice I never mentioned how far I swam!

Actually LadyTri/Seres, I'm heading to Roscommon this weekend (my OH's family live there) and I was wondering - is the cycle section of the Lough Key Sprint runnable, or is it a dangerous stretch of road to be running on?

I have to do 13 or so miles this weekend, and am looking for a place to run it. Otherwise I'll head to Moate park (just outside Roscommon town). Thanks.

Hmmm, not the best really. Mostly skinny country roads- I never run on them myself because the folk down here ain't used to seeing people out on the roads, they think we're quar funny not driving everywhere:)
    But if you don't mind doing loops you could clock up a good 10 miles around the Forest Park if you park the car in the entrance gates at the N4, its 1.5 miles in to the lake then there's a few forest trails if you don't mind wandering a bit...

Today: 13.1 Sunny country miles in Roscommon. I ran from Roscommon Castle to the beautiful town of Castlecoote, in Fuerty and back again. Lovely country roads, but it was extremely hot, and as tradition dictates when visiting Roscommon, was drinking pints until 2am the night before. So all in all, happy enough with the run.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:42@ 7:50/mile, HR=149 (not bad given the heat).

Today: 20km recovery cycle. Kept the pace (and HR) handy, after yesterday's 13 miler. Headed out the N11 towards Kilmacanogue. Some awful road surfaces around Fassaroe, but not a bad route for a quick spin. Swim later.

Summary: 20k cycle in 48 mins @15.6mph, HR=137

• Advertisement

Today: 8 mile run with 4 miles @LT (1/2M) pace. First tough session since the injury back in April and I was pretty nervous about it. Particularly since I woke up with a sore coccyx (dunno where this came from - I had a dream that I'd been stabbed in the back, and woke up with a sore back?!) which made it difficult to tie my shoe-laces and also stretch, but was absolutely fine while I was running. Had to run pre-breakfast as I had a physio appt at 11, and wanted to get the run done before I went for the session on my calf (or he'd ban me from running and I wouldn't get the session done).

3 Mile warm-up and the heat and dry air was making me sweat heavily. A bit of stretching, and launched into the 4 miles in Shangannagh Park. Found the session tough, but I haven't done any speed-work for months, so I guess I can expect this. Averaged 6:50/mile, which isn't bad but was knackered at the end. One recovery mile home, quick shower and off to the physio. Unfortunately the coccyx is getting worse, so anti-inflams, and hopefully it'll dissapear.

Summary: 8 miles with 4 @6:50. Overall pace: 7:20. HR=155.
    Garmin Connect.

*Edit*: Looking back at the last time I did this session in December, my times are a good bit quicker, so that's cheered me up a little (but I note that I was hungover the last time I did it!).

Today: Damn job interviews are interfering with my training schedule. Can't I just train in peace? I could be a great house husband!

Anyway, set off on the bike for a 20k, but chain came off and got wedged between rear cog and sub-frame. After a few minutes I realized the best way to un-jam it would be just to take off the quick release wheel (D'oh). So, covered in oil, I headed back home again after two miles.

Attempt #2: Cycled to the pool, easy swim to try and improve technique. Took it easy due to continued slight coccyx pain. Some small improvements in swimming.

Then... Heading home at 6pm....The Dublin Derby.. I never realized there were daily commuter races on the N11. What a revelation! Unfortunately, I only came 3rd out of 3 competitors, but to be fair their bikes looked a lot more expensive than mine.

Summary: 13.72 bike miles @ 15.9mph, broken up with a 45 minute swim in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hey kc, it's great to see the progress your making on all fronts, you were a long way from 13.1 miles 6 weeks ago. Well done.

Cheers Asimonov. It's a 39 mile week this week, so it'll be a real tell-tale if I can get through the week without any ill side-effects. Fingers crossed.

A fantastic run today. Though it was very humid and it rained on me throughout the 11 mile medium long run, I loved every minute of it.

Why?
    Because I rediscovered the good book, and now, once again, count myself among the flock of happy runners. For too long, have I forgotten or ignored the good word. For too long have I tried to beat my own training times in my training log. And for too long have I treated every endurance workout as a running race. Well no longer. I have seen the light, and I'd like to share the light of his words with you in the form of these commandments:

1) The medium long run (11-16 miles) should be run at the same pace as your long steady/slow run (LSR).
    2) Running very fast is for races or speed-work only. Running very fast in all training sessions will only lead to injury or affect your speedwork and recovery times.
    3) Slaughter not the calves on endurance runs for they propel you on all of your training sessions.
    4) Long run pace should be race pace plus 20% (quicker than) for the first part of your run, and plus 10% for the last five miles. Study the holy table and discern your appropriate pace:

Marathon Goal Pace|Early Pace|Last 5 miles
    5:00mi|6:00mi|5:30mi||
    5:30mi|6:36mi|6:03mi||
    6:00mi|7:12mi|6:36mi||
    6:30mi|7:48mi|7:09mi||
    7:00mi|8:24mi|7:42mi||
    7:30mi|9:00mi|8:15mi||
    8:00mi|9:36mi|8:48mi||

5) Recovery pace shall be Planned Marathon Pace + 2 minutes. No longer shall it be PMP + 20 seconds (the devil awaits those who cheat on their recovery runs).
    6) Thy reward shall come at the end of thy training program, not during every session.
    7) Too many races is the devil's indulgence. Save yourself for the almighty crusades.
    8) Thou should spend no more than 5 minutes on thy training log, otherwise though will fail all thy exams.

Summary: 11 happy injury free miles, with 6 miles faster than 8:30, and the final 5 miles faster than 7:45. HR=146 (76%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

A fantastic run today. Though it was very humid and it rained on me throughout the 11 mile medium long run, I loved every minute of it.

Why?
    Because I rediscovered the good book, and now, once again, count myself among the flock of happy runners. For too long, have I forgotten or ignored the good word. For too long have I tried to beat my own training times in my training log. And for too long have I treated every endurance workout as a running race. Well no longer. I have seen the light, and I'd like to share the light of his words with you in the form of these commandments:

1) The medium long run (11-16 miles) should be run at the same pace as your long steady/slow run (LSR).
    2) Running very fast is for races or speed-work only. Running very fast in all training sessions will only lead to injury or affect your speedwork and recovery times.
    3) Slaughter not the calves on endurance runs for they propel you on all of your training sessions.
    4) Long run pace should be race pace plus 20% for the first part of your run, and plus 10% for the last five miles. Study the holy table and discern your appropriate pace:

Marathon Goal Pace|Early Pace|Last 5 miles
    5:00mi|6:00mi|5:30mi||
    5:30mi|6:36mi|6:03mi||
    6:00mi|7:12mi|6:36mi||
    6:30mi|7:48mi|7:09mi||
    7:00mi|8:24mi|7:42mi||
    7:30mi|9:00mi|8:15mi||
    8:00mi|9:36mi|8:48mi||

5) Recovery pace shall be Planned Marathon Pace + 2 minutes. No longer shall it be PMP + 20 seconds (the devil awaits those who cheat on their recovery runs).
    6) Thy reward shall come at the end of thy training program, not during every session.
    7) Too many races is the devil's indulgence. Save yourself for the almighty crusades.
    8) Thou should spend no more than 5 minutes on thy training log, otherwise though will fail all thy exams.

Summary: 11 happy injury free miles, with 6 miles faster than 8:30, and the final 5 miles faster than 7:45. HR=146 (76%).
    fantastic post !

[QUOTE
    Why?
    Because I rediscovered the good book, and now, once again, count myself among the flock of happy runners. For too long, have I forgotten or ignored the good word. For too long have I tried to beat my own training times in my training log. And for too long have I treated every endurance workout as a running race. [/QUOTE]

Well Praise the Lord! Alleluiah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

4) Long run pace should be race pace plus 20% for the first part of your run, and plus 10% for the last five miles. Study the holy table and discern your appropriate pace:

and so it shall be...(other than i think that should be less 20% and less 10%)

edit: but i've now realised it works that way too - it depends on your perspective...sorry for doubting you.

Today: 13 mile cycle around Dalkey, DunLaoghaire and back by the 'noggin. Had planned on doing an interval session (2 miles fast, one mile steady) but the traffic around Dalkey and Sandycove put an end to that. Nice cycle nonetheless. Took 48 minutes, which seems to be my standard (though slowed down by traffic). Looks like I'm not quite the cyclist I thought I was. But hopefully I can take a couple of minutes off that time over the next month or two.

Summary: 13.1 in 51 mins @24.7km/hr, HR=133.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Today: Looks like I'm not quite the cyclist I thought I was. But hopefully I can take a couple of minutes off that time over the next month or two.

Summary: 13.1 in 51 mins @24.7km/hr, HR=133.

How hard are you cycling KC? I'd imagine if you could get out on the open road you'd be able to increase the pace/HR.

Do you get out of the saddle much on the hills, or do you just stay seated and pedal on a low gear?

Been wondering about this myself recently as I tire pretty quickly on the hills when I try and increase the pace/get ourt of the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Traffic lights and traffic make a huge difference - all the time you spend slowing down and getting back up to speed. i reckon 1.5-2kmph for a 20km cycle (my own routes) but maybe be more or less depending on the amount of lights. i did a 20k flat cycle the other day for example with no lights and was averaging over 30kmph compared to my usual 28.5 or so.

the amount of hills will play a part too. i know the downs should average out the ups but flat roads are much easier to keep a high pace up.

the other thing that will increase your speed is proper clipless pedals and shoes. more power transfer with cycling shoes. also when i get tired i take a break by pulling the pedals around rather tahn pushing them down. helps alot.

the other thing is to be patient, your only starting like when you were starting running. i know you prob feel your fit and should be doing better but its a different type of fitness. also as you know longer spins will help (obviously).

@ rigal: i would generally try stay in the saddle as much as possible. if its a particularly big hill wait till the final third - shift to harder gear and get out of the saddle. dont even contemplate doing it at the start or before half way

PS im no cycling expert these are just my own observations

For the hills I typically stand-up, then sit down in an easy gear for a bit of a rest, and back to the harder gear. Comfortable enough switching between the two. I shouldn't get dissapointed as the cycling is only a means to an end, i.e. run recovery, and having a bash at the sprint triathlon later in the year.

The traffic is a pain. It's soul destroying when you have to break to a stop on a downhill. You don't get to use your momentum out onto the flat. I already use clipless shoes and pedals. :o

Must go for a decent spin at some stage, but now the running mileage is on the increase.

Today (pm): Open Water swim down the fourty-foot. Ok, swim is a strong word, more of a 15 minute dip with a bit of paddling. But, I think it's a good idea to start getting used to open water, waves etc. Must go down there more regularly. The only other time I go there is Xmas-eve every year, but it's actually lovely when the water's calm.

Today: 5 Mile recovery run - stayed pretty close to the teachings of the the church of the happy runner, at 8:51/mile, but any time I didn't concentrate my pace would creep up. HR=138.

Summary: 5 Mile recovery run in 44mins.

Today: 15 Mile LSR. Left the house at 12pm, to a couple of drops of rain. I like running in the rain, I thought to myself as I left my estate - you have the nice country roads and parks to yourself. 15 miles of torrential monsoon downpour later, I figured I must have climbed through a portal and been transported to equatorial India. The mp3 player packed in after the first hour of heavy rain. Soon afterwards the cyclists were sheltering under trees. Shortly afterwards, you could no longer see the road, as it was buried under 6 inches of water. My clothes weighed twice their normal weight. But overall, happy enough with the run.

My physio has told me to stay away from hills, except in the early part of LSRs, so I chose a route that has a nice 3 mile hill climb (around 650 feet), which I really enjoyed. I used to struggle up these kind of hills, but now motor up them pretty efficiently (HR around low 160s), which is a good sign. I just need to get the speed-work in, to regain my pre-injury form.

Summary: 15 miles in 2:02, @8:08/mile (with around 6 miles @7:45). HR=140 (73%).

Summary for week:
    Run: 39 Miles
    Cycle: 39 Miles
    Swim = 3 x Sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Summary: 15 miles in 2:02, @8:08/mile (with around 6 miles @7:45). HR=140 (73%).

Summary for week:
    Run: 39 Miles
    Cycle: 39 Miles
    Swim = 3 x Sessions

those figures look very good to me mate considering the length of time you weren't running, you must b very happy at this stage

Cheers fella. Yep, happy to have gotten through a 39 mile week without any real calf issues. I'm thinking my heart rate was a little too low on the last run, which suggests I should've been going a bit quicker, but for the time being, I'll stick to the pace recommendations from the good book. You can't make it to the finish line, unless you make it to the start line first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I like running in the rain,

Me too.... when its also warm out :D

Today: Managed to wrangle a free service out of my local bikeshop for my buddy's Giant, so dropped it in this morning. Needed a break from the study as my brain was fried. Decided to take the OH's MTB for a short spin, but after a half a mile decided to take it off-road. What Joy! What fun! Headed up a dried up river bed (or at least tried!), then up around some fire trails in Rathmichael Wood, before heading back down quarry road. I'll be doing this again! Was a good stretch for the legs, and great fun, and there are lots of options for trails in the area.

Only problem is I now want both a road bike and a proper MTB. I don't think my wife's cheapy MTB will last long off of smooth roads!
    Summary: Fun!

climb.jpg

Good to see you're mixing it up KC. Training looks to be ticking along nicely over the past few weeks.

Quick question - what would be the best route to take (running) from Shanganagh Park to Stepaside/Kiltiernan?

Cheers,

R

Hi Rigal, you actually have a huge array of interesting routes, and you should try to explore a few, as there are some crackers:
    1) Stepaside-Glenamuck Road - Cabinteely Park-N11 (8 miles)
    2) As above, but take the old right-of-way through Tullyvale to Rathmichael (8m)
    3) Shortest - Palmers - Ballychorus Road - Rathmichael - Crinken Lane (5.5m)
    4) Hilly - Palmers - Barnaslingan lane - Quarry Road - Crinken Lane(6.7m)
    There's loads of other variations too. (Yes, I've run around this area alot!)
    I stuck them in google maps so you can see them proper (just click off the different routes in the box in the top right): Google maps

Hi Rigal, you actually have a huge array of interesting routes, and you should try to explore a few, as there are some crackers:
    ...I stuck them in google maps so you can see them proper (just click off the different routes in the box in the top right): Google maps

Wow - thanks a million for doing this. Very helpful KC. I'll try these out over the coming weeks..:)

No bother. I really like the Tullyvale route, as you get a real sense of history, with the old burial grounds and monoliths, and an M50 bridge all to yourself! Any of the hill routes are brilliant, and are great on a long run for the endurance and cardio workouts.

Today (evening): Swim lesson in Glenalbyn - 50 mins. Still making progress, but I'm not sure if it's fast enough to be able to do a 750m swim in September. Going to buy the wetsuit anyway, and head off with the bro-in-law for a swim in Lough Key. He's a strong swimmer and has done the Lough Key tri for the last two years.

He's hoping I'll make the tri, as he feels he owes me a scalp, after I waved at him as I passed him on the Hell of the West, as I was doing the full, and he was on the half. Vengeance will be his!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I'm sure you are not going to make it easy for him..... ;)

Advertisement