Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

8 Mile Aerobic run with strides: A solid up'n'down, with 4 mile uphill, followed by four miles back down. Did half the strides on flatter parts during the uphill, then on the way back down, skipped the strides in favour of a fast paced run (concentrating on good form). Felt great to really open out again, and do a couple of quicker miles - 7:42, 7:42, 7:01, 6:55, 7:16, with the quicker ones being on the downhill. Finished up at my local bike shop, where I picked up the bike post-service and cycled home, which gave the calves a nice stretch.

Summary:8 miles in 1:01 @7:39, HR=154 (81%).

MCOS wrote: »
    I'm sure you are not going to make it easy for him..... ;)
    If I can survive the swim, I'll cross hell and high water mountains to beat him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

8 Mile Aerobic run with strides: A solid up'n'down, with 4 mile uphill, followed by four miles back down. Did half the strides on flatter parts during the uphill, then on the way back down, skipped the strides in favour of a fast paced run (concentrating on good form). Felt great to really open out again, and do a couple of quicker miles - 7:42, 7:42, 7:01, 6:55, 7:16, with the quicker ones being on the downhill. Finished up at my local bike shop, where I picked up the bike post-service and cycled home, which gave the calves a nice stretch.

Summary:8 miles in 1:01 @7:39, HR=154 (81%).

your running seems to be coming back nicely , you must be very pleased with that ?

Yeah, I'm getting happier, but I don't feel as comfortable running fast, as I was back in March, but hopefully I'll get there eventually. When I can get that 18 minute 5k and 39 minute 10k, I'll be happy (and survive a 750m swim. :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

750m will be a breeze to ye come September;)
    If you want safety in numbers we're in lough key a couple times a week you're welcome to join us

• Advertisement

5 Mile recovery run: Tried to keep the pace nice and slow, but I was being chased by a crazy nine year old girl on a bmx, who kept singing a selection of songs from High School Musical, Hannah Montana and James Blunt. I've tried to introduce her to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The pixies, and The Doors, but it's not sticking.

I'll bring her on my interval session the next time.

Summary: 5 miles in 44 mins, HR=132 (69%).

11 Mile medium Long run: Great run today, felt very strong and powered up some of the smaller hills. Took it handy for the first 6 miles and then picked it up a bit for the last 5 miles. Felt a bit like forest Gump kicking off his shackles. Finished with a 6:54, and an uphill 7:05, which felt comfortable. The runs are getting better and better week by week. The joy is definitely returning.

Also ordered a Focus Cayo 105 road bike, as I feel so much better after doing a cycle the day after a decent run. Orca S2 is next on the shopping list.

Summary: 11.6 miles in 1:30, HR=147 (77%)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Also ordered a Focus Cayo 105 road bike

im jealous but fair play, but im sure you ll put it to good use!! also get some cycling shoes and clipless pedals if your budget can stretch it later on!!

Cheers. Hope it works out. Sadly, I have to give back the Giant, helmet, shoes, gloves etc. Think my motorcycle is cheaper to run. :rolleyes:

At least with running, you just need a pair of shoes. and of course shorts and a top. and a hat. and a waterproof jacket. and an mp3 player. and a GPS watch. and gels. and sports drinks.. and recovery drinks. and technical socks. and a drinks belt. and a foam roller. and books. and lots of books. and compression clothing. and joint supports. and food supplements. and body glide.. and pacing bands. and safety pins. But that's all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Cheers. Hope it works out. Sadly, I have to give back the Giant, helmet, shoes, gloves etc. Think my motorcycle is cheaper to run. :rolleyes:

At least with running, you just need a pair of shoes. and of course shorts and a top. and a hat. and a waterproof jacket. and an mp3 player. and a GPS watch. and gels. and sports drinks.. and recovery drinks. and technical socks. and a drinks belt. and a foam roller. and books. and lots of books. and compression clothing. and joint supports. and food supplements. and body glide.. and pacing bands. and safety pins. But that's all. :)

Thanks krusty, and I was just telling colleagues today how I started running because gym membership was an expense I couldn't live with: no problem living with my 405 cx though, or my 12€ a pair running socks. Feeling quite the idiot now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Also ordered a Focus Cayo 105 road bike

Nice bike KC - I'd say you'll enjoy hitting the hills in that! Is it a carbon frame?

Yeah, it's a 'Focus Light UD Carbon Frame', which might mean something to someone who's not me. Couldn't borrow my buddies bike for much longer, and have been really enjoying the cycling, so worth the investment. Something to do between marathons. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Yeah, it's a 'Focus Light UD Carbon Frame', which might mean something to someone who's not me. Couldn't borrow my buddies bike for much longer, and have been really enjoying the cycling, so worth the investment. Something to do between marathons. :)
    she is a beauty , i am so jealous , took me a year to invest in my cheapo road bike for €500 , best of luck with it , no excuses now bar the swim for september :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Also ordered a Focus Cayo 105 road bike,

Nice one!

Today: 20km cycle with some rolling hills, interrupted with a brief (15 min) sea-swim in the middle. Cycle time: 46:45.
    Garmin Connect

Today: 4 Mile recovery run, again chased by the bmx bandit. Mostly 8:30+, with a few sprint races with the bandit (she won).

Summary: 4 miles in 33, @8:27/mile. HR=127 (66%).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

hey Krusty,

I see you have set yourself a lofty goal of 3:07:29 for marathon distance in the 'how fast will you go' thread, but haven't specified a target race.

Hope its not DCM, I'm relying on you to show me the way, I'd have to borrow your new bike to get in in that time ;)

hey Krusty,

I see you have set yourself a lofty goal of 3:07:29 for marathon distance in the 'how fast will you go' thread, but haven't specified a target race.

Hope its not DCM, I'm relying on you to show me the way, I'd have to borrow your new bike to get in in that time ;)
    LOL. I think they have a rule about completing the marathon on a bike. It's not called a marathon, it's just called a cycle. :)

I'm eagerly looking forward to Berlin on the 20th September. I had hoped to get close to 3:07 in Edinburgh in May, and then aim for sub-3 in Berlin. But due to injury I never made it to Edinburgh, so have had to re-adjust my goals. Long term plan is to run one marathon major every year and one other city marathon. Then I'll settle down and get fat.

Today: 16 mile LSR - Kilbogget Park, Dun Laoghaire West Pier, Dalkey, Killiney and home. Lovely sunny weather, a fab day for running by the sea. Got a bit of a cramp in my foot (probably from the unevenness of the surface of the west Pier, so pulled up for a few minutes in the People's Park to sort it out. Picked up the pace for the last 5 miles, which coincided with the Vico Road and Killiney hills, but kept the pace up anyway. Worked up a good thirst, even with the drinks belt.

Going to head back to Dun Laoghaire shortly with the kids for a dip in the sea (will take the car this time!).

Summary: 16 miles in 2:07, @7:56min/mile. HR=146.

A comment by Woddle started me thinking about the root cause of my injury. Looking back on my Garmin activity log, the reason for the injury becomes pretty clear and can be summarised in one word - stupidity.

March 22nd - Marathon
    24th - 5 miles
    25th - 8 miles with 5k pace intervals!
    28th - 7 miles/strides
    29th - 13.1 miles @7:31
    30th - football
    31st - 6 miles
    1st - 12 Mile LT session
    3rd - 12 miles
    etc. etc.. Two hard races over the following consecutive weekends (22km IMRA race, and Wexford half, where I was trying to beat 1:30). It was all pointing in one direction, and that was over-training and injury. My injury wasn't because of trying to run two marathons in close proximity (I had done similar with Longford / Dublin), but taking absolutely zero break after the marathon. Even though I wasn't running anywhere near my optimal pace, I didn't respect the distance, and the recovery requirements afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Interesting analysis KC. I reckon we can all learn something from your injury experience..

At the least the new bike will stop you running too much in future :pac:

rigal wrote: »
    Interesting analysis KC. I reckon we can all learn something from your injury experience..

At the least the new bike will stop you running too much in future :pac:
    Ha! I wonder! Running is still my first love, by a long shot. Still, eagerly awaiting the postman with my bike. All I have now, is pedals and a helmet. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow, and I'll get a spin.

Today: Not much to add, 1 hour pool lesson. It seems my best stroke is the Dolphin. :( On a positive note, my Orca S2 arrived, and so did the bike. Didn't get a chance for a proper spin, because of study and swim lesson, but had to take it out around the block after a minor amount of assembly. So took it easy, and did 4.5 miles in around 17 minutes - sadly it was getting dark, so that was all I had time for.

Big difference between the Cayo and the Giant. It's lighter, gears are smoother (but will take some getting used to), and power output seems more immediate. I was able to stay comfortably in the saddle for one of the nearby hills, where I'd be standing on the pedals on the Giant. Looking forward to a proper spin, but it'll have to wait until Wednesday, as I have a hard running session tomorrow.

Summary: 1 Hr swim + 4.5 miles on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

KC - nice bike, I wish you many k's of enjoyment.
    BTW in this tri stuff there's always something you need to get

Today: 10 miles including 5 miles @Lactate Threshold. I dread these sessions. Give me intervals any day. Just don't give me LT sessions. But thankfully, I skipped the beers last night, and got an early'ish night, so felt good this morning, but still a little nervous about the session (probably a hangover from recent injuries).

Just as the rain stopped bucketing down, I headed out and did a 3 mile warm-up, then hit the park for the LT miles. As I arrived in the park, I started to feel a little hungry/thirsty and weak, which is never a good sign, but thankfully it cleared quickly, as I started clocking up the laps in the park.
    6:40 / 6:24 / 6:30 / 6:32 / 6:30 - Average: 6:31min/mile (32:39).

So, well happy with those paces, even if they were a little too fast. Certainly would point in the right direction for taking a chunk off of my 10k and 5 mile times, in race conditions. The reason they were too fast is I was avoiding looking at the watch, preferring to run comfortably instead. Finished with an easy 2 mile warm-down.

So hopefully another week or two before I have to do another LT session. In future, no more beer the night before an LT session (not even the nice cold end of the day unwind frosty beer).

Summary: 10 mile LT session (5 miles fast), in 1:14, with 5 miles @ 6:31.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just looking at your Garmin log here is a 2mile loop I use on far side of the tracks which can be quieter. Finishes about 40mts past the corner.
    3310_1092326522711_1662987617_198463_1206047_n.jpg

Thanks for that Beepbeep! I've run around 600-700 miles around Shanganagh over the last year (I live across the road). I actually did my last tempo session down that end of the park (link), but while the grass (and peace and quiet) is perfect I think I prefer the good tarmac surface of the rest of the path for tempo runs.

There's very few people in the park when I do my runs - a couple of wrinklies that I know to nod to when I go past, and a very occasional dog walker. It's a shame that the really useful drinking water tap that they located up near the playground only worked for a couple of days. :(

Great drawing by the way!

Shanganagh is one of my fav places to run, when I'm in the office (Cherrywood) I pop in on the way home, at 6pmish the near side of the tracks can be fun an games, avoiding footballs, wrinklies, tricycles, you name it. We asked for the 400mt track to be recut, not sure if the Council have done this.

Where's the 400 meter track? Is it the loop around the baseball field? Yeah, I'm very lucky to have it across the road. Ironically, I was living in the house 4 or 5 years before we ever ventured into the park. Now the entire family practically lives in it (and we will soon actually be living in it, if this recession keeps up. :)).

• Advertisement

If you look closely in the pic above you can actually see it (1st field over the bridge).
    By the way what distance does your Garmin give the tarmac path - the council have it at just over 2k?

Advertisement