Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 10 mile aerobic run
    1o miles on a Friday night? Whatever happened to binge drinking?!
    I was maybe a little too quick at 7:34/mile, but I felt nice and comfortable (probably as a result of the intervals on Wednesday), so not much point in slowing down. Finished in 1:15. Time to undo all the good with an Indian take-away (but with no beer!).

Summary: 10 miles in 1:15 @7:34/mile. HR=141.

Today: 4 Mile recovery run in the park. A little stiff after two brisk 10 mile runs on Wednesday and Friday, but should be pretty set up for tomorrow's final 20 miler. Watch seems to be losing satellite signals, which it has never done before. Have to keep an eye on it.

Summary: 4 miles in 35 mins@ 8:34/mile. HR=135.

Today: Final 20 mile run, before Berlin Marathon, and thankfully, it was a great run. Plan was to start around 8/mm for 10 miles, before picking up the pace. Well, that didn't happen (More penitence required!). First 10 miles were at 7:34, with lots of uphill. Did a big loop, starting around Stepaside, before heading down to Blackrock, and then a run-through DunLaoghaire's Festival of World Culture, for a little Reggae. A brief stop in the 'noggin to refill the water, and munch on some fruit pastilles, before picking up the pace to PMP. Ran the next 5 miles at an average of 7:03, before slowing down for the final mile.

I also practiced my race preparation and nutrition, and think I got it pretty spot-on. A SIS Isotonic gel every 5 miles, lots of water during the race, and maybe some fruit pastilles, or if I can get my hands on them, some Clif shot Bloks.

It's Taper-time!

Summary: 20 miles in 2:30, pace: 7:29/mile, HR=144 (75%).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sweet - nice to get a solid run like that in before the big day, how did you feel afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Today: Final 20 mile run, before Berlin Marathon, and thankfully, it was a great run.

It's Taper-time!

Well done on your training so far, enjoy the taper. How do you feel, do you need the rest, or could you keep training at this intensity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good run KC, almost there now. Enjoy those taper runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice one KC. Good luck coping with the taper madness.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sweet - nice to get a solid run like that in before the big day, how did you feel afterwards?
    I felt relieved! I didn't make it this far the last time (missing the Edinburgh marathon due to injury), after putting in as many miles, and almost as much effort. But today, I felt that I could comfortably do another few miles, so that's good news. So it all just needs to come together on the day. The extra fews miles, the weather, and the whole lot at PMP. Fingers crossed!
    could you keep training at this intensity?
    Yeah, I think so. Taper-time seems like it has come too soon. I feel like I could've done the extra 6 weeks anway, to follow an 18 week instead of a 12 week plan, but you play the cards your dealt.

Taper-madness - There be dragons.
    There's actually some good quality runs to look forward to, so it's not all bad. Some more 600s next week, mile intervals (which I've never done before), and hopefully a 10k race.

or if I can get my hands on them, some Clif shot Bloks.

i have some spare packs of cran-razz flavour clif shot bloks that we got as samples..PM if you'd like...

asimonov wrote: »
    i have some spare packs of cran-razz flavour clif shot bloks that we got as samples..PM if you'd like...
    Cheers fella. I managed to pick some up in irishfit this afternoon. Not sure if I'll bother with them, but will give them a go in next week's 16 miler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done on the last Long Run....I can almost sense the relief in you post! :)

We'll have to arrange some Beers in Berlin

Ah beer.. I remember it so fondly. It's been almost 4 days now, since last we were aquainted.
    I'm going for an additional record for this marathon: 3.5 weeks without beer. My current PB (Longford '08) is two weeks. I wonder if Haile drinks beer, and smokes the odd sneaky fag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

No... You don't smoke, I didn't see that, hmmmm if krusty has the odd sneaky one, maybe I..... No osnola no (slaps himself in the face)

<shakes fist at krusty for implying the possibilty of combining the odd ciggie with running> ;)

No... You don't smoke, I didn't see that, hmmmm if krusty has the odd sneaky one, maybe I..... No osnola no (slaps himself in the face)

<shakes fist at krusty for implying the possibilty of combining the odd ciggie with running> ;)
    Now you're interpreting my comments to suit your own seedy needs. I actually said 'I wonder if Haile.....'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Here's a surefire way to give up that "sneaky" fag you might have after a skinful and your mates are all smoking- promise yourself "just the one" for when you finish the marathon. I bummed one in Rotterdam, and puffed away at the bar (much to amadeus' disgust;)), smoked half before my aching body rejected it like the poison it is... I can truely say after that I have never been tempted again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Now you're interpreting my comments to suit your own seedy needs. I actually said 'I wonder if Haile.....'. :)

Oh so you did, and I very much doubt he does, horrible anti running devices

:D

However, I might just put donothoponpop's theory to the test. Purely from a scientific experimentation standpoint, you understand.

Today: Just a quick 7 mile cycle, with a nice big hill climb, before darkness fell, sandwiched between yesterday's 20 mile run and tomorrow's Vo2max intervals, to keep the calf muscles nice and bendy*. Also got my new Mizuno Waverider 12's in the post, so I have three weeks to break 'em in for the big race.
    Summary: 7 miles in 27 mins @24km.hr.

* Bendy - Scientific term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Check this out if the taper madness get's too much:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/world/city/449125131934763279

The climb up to Djouce woods will help you forget about running for a few minutes....:D

Oh yeah, I remember doing that cycle to Roundwood in July as part of a 40 mile cycle, returning via NewtownMountLongestNameOfaTownInIreland. They were some tough hills. I actually did those hills on foot too, after finishing one of the IMRA races. I think they were easier on foot, than on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hey kc , marathon training going really well for ya , you still doing Lough key tri on sunday ?

Thanks Seres. I'm delighted to say it is going really well, so hopefully nothing changes! Unfortunately, with the new job taking up most of my time (9-11 hour days), something had to give, and my wife insisted that our kids are too old to offer up for adoption, so it had to be the triathlon. Although I managed to get out in the sea a couple of times on holidays, I never managed to get up to the standard required to swim 750m. So Lough Key is still my top priority for my first ever Triathlon, sadly, it's going to have to wait until 2010.

Instead, this weekend, I'll be trying to get to a 10k race, attend the mountain/map navigation course, and doing a 16 mile taper run. But swimming lessons start on Monday again, so all is not lost!

Thanks Seres. I'm delighted to say it is going really well, so hopefully nothing changes! Unfortunately, with the new job taking up most of my time (9-11 hour days), something had to give, and my wife insisted that our kids are too old to offer up for adoption, so it had to be the triathlon. Although I managed to get out in the sea a couple of times on holidays, I never managed to get up to the standard required to swim 750m. So Lough Key is still my top priority for my first ever Triathlon, sadly, it's going to have to wait until 2010.

Instead, this weekend, I'll be trying to get to a 10k race, attend the mountain/map navigation course, and doing a 16 mile taper run. But swimming lessons start on Monday again, so all is not lost!

what race are you (half) thinking of..kilkenny, portloaise or is there another one on?

Exactly. Kilkenny, Portlaoise, or another one!
    I'd like to do the Rusty Scanlon, but it seems to be a 6 mile, rather than a 10k (minor issue, but I'd love to go sub-40 for the 10k) and the logistics are tough (head straight from work to Kilkenny with work and running clothes, race, then head stragiht back.

Portloaise is also do'able, but it means shifting schedules around, which isn't a big issue, it just means doing a long run on a Friday evening. Are you doing either? Both?

I'm going to do the rusty scanlon this week, I think Ike and VR are doing it as well.

Tonight: 8 miles with 5x600m Intervals @5K pace.
    Ended up staying in work late (it's a curse I tells ya!), so only got out at 8pm, and it was getting dark by the time I completed my 4 mile warm-up and arrived in the park. There was a full moon out, but I still couldn't see the pace on the watch, so my pacing is a little all over the shop. But what I could see, as I ran around the park, was dozens of bats looping overhead, set against the bright moon. Made me feel very batman'esque. The entire run was very comfortable.

Intervals: 2:13, 2:17, 2:19, 2:13, 2:07. Average pace: 6:03

The new Mizuno Waverider 12s from Wiggle, with the yellow laces that can be seen from outer space, were top-notch. Like running on a cloud.

Summary: 8 miles in 1:02. Average pace: 7:30/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Good stuff KC, had the same run myself. Cycling home I actually felt a bit cold (for the first time since before summer). The Berlin marathon is tying in nicely with the end of our balmy western seaboard evenings.

Lol. You make it sounds almost tropical! But to be fair, it was a lovely evening for running last night, and even though it was dark, there were plenty of runners and walkers who opted for the twilight hours in the park, instead of 30 minute intervals in front of the TV.

I do feel a little guilty though, hurtling down a near pitch black path at 5K pace, scaring the sh1t out of some romantic couple enjoying a relaxed stroll through the wooded areas of the park. I've taken to turning on the Forerunner's bezel light as I enter the wooded areas, so if they're facing me, they can se eme coming.

But the cold moist air from last night certainly stung the lungs. The differential between the weather here and the weather in Berlin is definitely getting greater.

Tonight - 5 Recovery miles in 42 minutes, @8:25min/miles, HR=139. A little stiff from yesterday's intervals, but I'm sure it helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Are you gonna take tomorrow off or is the fine weather tempting you out ?

Advertisement