Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Nice to meet you finally. Probably get to see you at the Pearl 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

KC your form is coming along very nicely of late. Solid long running, intervals are quick, and nice result in 10 miler. What's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

great pace on the 10 mile race , you are flying it !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Abhainn wrote: »
    KC your form is coming along very nicely of late. Solid long running, intervals are quick, and nice result in 10 miler. What's next?
    Re-acclimatize to the sh1tty weather we have in this country, put on my running shoes, and go for a 17 mile run. I hate you Irish weather! The real goal is Berlin marathon in just over four weeks time. Planned target is 3:07:30, with a secret desire to knock one or two minutes off of that time. Crazy to think I've only one more week and then it's taper time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Re-acclimatize to the sh1tty weather we have in this country, put on my running shoes, and go for a 17 mile run. I hate you Irish weather! The real goal is Berlin marathon in just over four weeks time. Planned target is 3:07:30, with a secret desire to knock one or two minutes off of that time. Crazy to think I've only one more week and then it's taper time!

Hey krusty, best of luck for next four weeks and Berlin. Just on the tapering craic. Why is there three weeks of tapering in every programme. It seems like an awful lot, and a long time between last lsr and marathon real? Someone was talking to me about blood volume recently and losing same by having relative rest weeks or tapering too earlier.

I know this is the way, and as I said every programme I've seen has the last lsr in the fourth week before with three weeks winding down so to speak, yer man just put a doubt in my head. He actually said last lsr should be done 10 days before hand. He was a very good track runner in his day.

• Advertisement

Catching up on a few runs:
    Phoenix Park - Frank Duffy - 10 Mile Road Race - 66:15
    Fuertaventura - 5.5 mile run from Corralejo along the dunes and the beach and back - 32'C - 44 mins
    Fuertaventura - 6.1 mile (10k) run from Corralejo to the National Park and back. 34'C - 45 Mins
    Fuertaventura - 7 miles - Run alongside the desert to Roya del Cura - 36'C - 56 minutes

I know this is the way, and as I said every programme I've seen has the last lsr in the fourth week before with three weeks winding down so to speak, yer man just put a doubt in my head. He actually said last lsr should be done 10 days before hand. He was a very good track runner in his day.
    He was a very good track runner. Was he also a very good long distance runner? Not as much taper required for shorter distance (track) running. Additionally, he may not have been a mere mortal like the rest of us. :)

Taper doesn't equate to quitting for three weeks. It's just a case of cutting back gradually, to allow the body to recover and rejuvenate. You do your last long run, then the following two weekends your long runs are progressively shorter (16 miles and 12 miles in my case) then the following weekend is the race. So realistically, you're only running shorter LSRs for two weekends. Also, the mileage drop is gradual (50, 49, 43, 32, 22+26). The important thing is to emphasize quality over quantity (it's a mantra on this forum!).

Today: 17 mile run in 2:12, @7:45/mile. Didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but I didn't get much sleep after arriving back from airport at 4am. I actually completed my 1,000 mile challenge three miles into this run, at the top of Puck's Castle. Felt tired towards the end of the run, but weighing myself afterwards, it seems I was quite dehydrated, as I was down quite a few pounds.

Summary: 17 miles in 2:12, @7:45/mile. HR=138.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done kc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Today: I actually completed my 1,000 mile challenge three miles into this run,

Good work KC! Fairplay getting that run in after so little sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done KC ... and for the persistance after mile 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

MCOS wrote: »
    Well done KC ... and for the persistance after mile 3

+1
    Well done on 1,000 mile challenge completion :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done on the 1K challenge, talk about teetering on the edge though...

Its true about the mcmillan self fulfilling prophecy...maybe one day we'll be brave enough to throw our garmin's casually aside and run on feel alone. :)

asimonov wrote: »
    Its true about the mcmillan self fulfilling prophecy...maybe one day we'll be brave enough to throw our garmin's casually aside and run on feel alone. :)
    What do you mean?! McMillan predicted 66:22. I finished in 66:15. That's a whole 7 seconds of 'running on feel alone'. :)

Running without a Garmin is for new-age tree-hugging technophobe hippies. Next you'll be dropping the Lycra for an O'Neills tracksuit, and swapping the gels for a ham and cheese sandwich. :p

Oh yeah, today: 8 Mile cycle in 30 mins, @26.5km/hr, between arriving home from work, and sun-down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats on the 1000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Good running KC, well done on the challenge!

ladytri wrote: »
    Good running KC, well done on the challenge!
    Thanks! Running now just seems so futile. :)

Tonight: 5 Mile recovery run (not so sure what I'm supposed to be recovering from. Possibly my holidays?), with 6 x strides. For the first time in at least a year, my Garmin failed me and lost satellite reception during the run. Damn technology. From now on, I'm running on feel alone.

Summary: 5 mile recovery in 39 minutes @7:49/mile, HR=142.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done on hitting the 1k - onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done KC. Feet up now :)

Well done KC. Feet up now :)
    Haha. I wish! I actually feel like I could do with a break now, but no break until after Berlin (which is just 3.5 weeks away now).

• Advertisement

Today: 10 miles including 4 x 1.2km intervals @5km pace, with 2mins easy jog.

I normally like intervals, but stomach was in ribbons today, so after 2.5 miles I had to beat a hasty retreat back to the gaff, for some urgent relief. Back out again for another half mile, and then I kicked off the intervals.

Intervals: 4:33/4:33/4:30/4:31. Average pace: 6:02/mile.

They went fine, however, I'm not looking forward to those 1,600m intervals in two weeks time. Another 4 miles or so to warm-down, and another Vo2max session ticked off the list.

Summary: 10 miles with .75 mile intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I had the same session last night, I actually felt tired after the three mile warm up :o. My last rep was a dogged affair. Glad to get that one out of the way.

Are you running 20 on Sunday ? If so, what pace are you aiming for ?

Lol. It's getting to that stage in the schedule where it's becoming a hard-slog to keep going. Are you following the 12 week or 18 week P&D program?

For my other LSRs I've been sticking to the P&D approach of:
    Running the first x miles at faster than PMP +20% (which equates to around 8:00-8:20min/mile)
    Running the last 5 miles at faster than PMP +10% (which equates to around 7:30-7:45min/mile)
    Although my last 20 mile run was almost entirely at around 7:45min/m (bad discipline!).

Because the 12-week program only features 2x 20 mile runs, I'll possibly try and push it a little and do:
    10 miles - 8:00 min/mile
    05 miles - 7:30 min/mile
    03 miles - pmp (7:05 min/mile)
    Last 2 miles warm-down.

I'm on the 18 week one but really only got going in around week 3. I always try and do my LSR's at PMP + 10% = 7'30". This being my last LSR I'm considering pushing the boat out a bit and doing the first 7 @ 7'30", the second at 7'15" and then maybe 5 @ 7'00" with a mile warm down. I want to feel confident that the latter miles can be run at a good tip so when I pass the half way mark on the day I'm not waiting for the wheels to fall off. Here's hoping for a decent day.

Current temperatures between 9am and 12:05am (optimistic!) seem to be in the 22'C-26'C range, so hopefully it'll cool by a degree or two over the coming weeks. What's your planned pmp? Sub-6:50?

Over 20 degrees might cause me problems alright, hopefully will be in the teens. I'll be following a sub 3 pacer. I imagine they go along at around 6'50" (factoring in the extra meters you run above the 'measured' 26.2. Last thing you want is to reach 25.2 miles and find you've 6'00" left to run it.

Well, if you run at 6:50 for 26 miles, that'll take 2:57:40, which gives you 00:02:20 to cover the last 385 yards (which should really only take 31 seconds), leaving you with a healthy 1 minute 49 seconds to catch your breath, collect your medal, and order a beer.

I like the sound of that.

Was all geared to run 6'52" but then someone posted about how in the marathon you end up running further than 26.2 due to getting around the other 40,000 people on your way so if you stuck religiously to 6'52" you'd end up short and thus should pace at 6'50".

My Garmin clocked 10 miles in the Frank Duffy about 100 metres from the line (and I don't know how I lost 100 mts in the Phoenix park).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm on the 18 week one but really only got going in around week 3. I always try and do my LSR's at PMP + 10% = 7'30". This being my last LSR I'm considering pushing the boat out a bit and doing the first 7 @ 7'30", the second at 7'15" and then maybe 5 @ 7'00" with a mile warm down. I want to feel confident that the latter miles can be run at a good tip so when I pass the half way mark on the day I'm not waiting for the wheels to fall off. Here's hoping for a decent day.

Cathrina McKiernan was the guest speaker last night and she talked alot about her own marathon training in the past. I asked if she ever gave the long run a lash?
    She said never, just easy and that she always had faith in the rest of her training.

Also I clocked Berlin last year at 26.62

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Although my last 20 mile run was almost entirely at around 7:45min/m (bad discipline!).

Bad disciple more like it; 12 X 400 and a set of hill reps as your act of contrition.

Advertisement