Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Results from last night's race: finished 54th/169, with 123% of Enduro's time. Not ground breaking, but still top third, when my performance felt more like I should be somewhere in the middle of the field.

Today:
    Weights: 12 x 6 x 2
    Cycle: 21kms in 49 minutes. Took the borrowed bike for a spin. Very windy on the uphill, which slowed me down. Also traffic lights mucking with my rhythm. 4 minutes faster than the same route a couple of days ago. Equates to around 47 minutes for 20kms. I'd like to get this down to around 42-44 minutes by the end of summer, but I don't really know how to approach this. Google study needed.

Lessons learned:
    1) Racing bike saddles are sore.
    2) Padded shorts are not just for people with incontinence problems.
    3) Racing bike tyres don't necessarily suit cycle tracks.
    4) Cycling gloves don't just make you look cool. They have practical value also.
    5) Repairing punctures is like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it.
    6) Spoons have so many uses.
    7) Gears are now built into brakes. When did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I love the lessons learnt - brilliant, found these out myself about 4 weeks ago, welcome to the world of racing bikes, you ll never wanna go back now!!

PS A good pair of padded shorts is not just a luxury!

Cheers Kenny. Are you following any training programs, or just getting out there?
    Where's Hal Higdon for cyclists?!

Cheers Kenny. Are you following any training programs, or just getting out there?
    Where's Hal Higdon for cyclists?!
    No program, just doing it as i feel it. trying to do 2 to 3 20-30km spins during the week and a longer one (50 to 70km) at the weekend. been a bit haphazard lately as i ve been away camping, looking at apartments and so on. hoping that will change. really enjoying it. just wish my achilles was okay so i could run properly too.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good plan. I'll do something similar, but might try and work in an interval session for one of the shorter cycles (20-30k).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Today:
    Weights: 12 x 6 x 2
    Cycle: 21kms in 49 minutes. Took the borrowed bike for a spin. Very windy on the uphill, which slowed me down. Also traffic lights mucking with my rhythm. 4 minutes faster than the same route a couple of days ago. Equates to around 47 minutes for 20kms. I'd like to get this down to around 42-44 minutes by the end of summer, but I don't really know how to approach this. Google study needed.

Lessons learned:
    1) Racing bike saddles are sore.
    2) Padded shorts are not just for people with incontinence problems.
    3) Racing bike tyres don't necessarily suit cycle tracks.
    4) Cycling gloves don't just make you look cool. They have practical value also.
    5) Repairing punctures is like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it.
    6) Spoons have so many uses.
    7) Gears are now built into brakes. When did that happen?
    some of the stuff you write really makes me laugh :D , i suppose that explains your nickname !

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Well your tri training really is coming on!
    Swim sounds like you're really making progress which will do wonders for your confidence.
    Keep it up and you're well on your way to setting a good first tri time in that 'hypothetical' race in Lough Key;)

Thanks. I can't see the cycling or running being a problem, just the blasted swim. I'm making good progress, I just don't know if it'll be fast enough to get me in good enough shape in time. But I'll give it my best try. Speaking of..

Today:
    Core Strength: 20 x 17
    Swimming: 45 minutes lazy practice with the young fella. He can't beat me any more, so I'm definitely moving forward. Some lengths across various strokes (33m), but mostly just practicing half-lengths. Lengths were tough after the core strength exercises. May need to adjust the schedule, so I don't do core and swimming on the same days.

Today: 20km cycle in 48 minutes, including a couple of tough hill climbs, around Carrigologan (the roads I hope to have an LSR on tomorrow). Didn't get to take advantage of the downhills to bring up my overall speed/time, as they're too narrow and covered in gravel/sand. Wore cycle shoes with the clip-less pedals for the first time. Mad yokes!. Adjusted to them well, and no embarrassing incidents (though I believe everyone can expect at least one 'fall-over' using them).

Realized I have only one speed when riding a bike. I need to wise-up a little when cycling. introduce slower days, so I can have faster days. Not sure how all this cycling will combine with the marathon program starting on Monday.

Garmin Connect

• Advertisement

Today: 12 Mile early run around Tullyvale, Dalkey, Killiney Hill and back home with a buddy. Legs a little tired from yesterday's hilly cycle, but got into the groove after a while. Nice climb up Vico to Victoria Road and a couple more smaller hills. Calf knotted up again.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:40 @ 8:22/mile. HR=149.

Summary for week:
    3 x runs (22 miles)
    3 x cycle (65 kms)
    3 x swim (135 mins)
    2 x weights and 2 x core strength.

Today: officially started my 12 week Pfitzinger and Douglas marathon program for Berlin. The program started with a rest day/cross training, which suited me fine, as my calf is tight after yesterday's 12 mile run.

So decided to take the bike out for a recovery cycle. 16 miles around Killiney, Dun Laoghaire, and home again. Even though I was taking it handy, the times were quick enough (by my previous standards) which is more because I was able to enjoy the downhills for a change, instead of braking.

Summary: 16 miles in 64 minutes, ave speed: 24km/hr, Ave HR=128 (nice!).

Rest of the week:
    Tonight - swimming
    Tuesday - 8 miles plus strides
    Wednesday - swim + cycle
    Thursday - 8 miles
    Friday - Swim + cycle
    Saturday - Recovery 5 miles (may skip)
    Sunday - 13 miles easy (or multimarathon 1/2 - not sure yet).
    Also try and fit in weights + core strength x 2.

Today: 8 miles in 24' heat. Plan was 8 miles with 10 x strides, but after a few pints last night with a couple of buddies I didn't realize I had left myself dehydrated, and duly headed out at the hottest part of the day. Was fine for the first 4 or 5 miles, but then the dehydration caught up with me. Really struggled with the last couple of miles, and the final mile was torture. Abandoned the idea of strides (completed around 8 of them) and just focussed on getting home. When I arrived home, the first pint of water leaked through me like a sieve. Still, I got it done, which was important as it was the first run in my Berlin marathon program. Oh dear. I hope things get easier.

Summary: 8 miles in 1 hour, @7:34/mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Today: 8 miles in 24' heat. Plan was 8 miles with 10 x strides, but after a few pints last night with a couple of buddies I didn't realize I had left myself dehydrated, and duly headed out at the hottest part of the day. Was fine for the first 4 or 5 miles, but then the dehydration caught up with me. Really struggled with the last couple of miles, and the final mile was torture. Abandoned the idea of strides (completed around 8 of them) and just focussed on getting home. When I arrived home, the first pint of water leaked through me like a sieve. Still, I got it done, which was important as it was the first run in my Berlin marathon program. Oh dear. I hope things get easier.

Summary: 8 miles in 1 hour, @7:34/mile.

given it first run of the program i say it will get easier and the fact few drinks prob didnt help but you wont always have them holding you back so dont worry too much

Thanks. I had hoped to start this program on a more positive note, but the calf muscle is still bunched. Back for more physio. On a positive note, I'm looking forward to my swim and cycle sessions tomorrow.

Today: Cycles what's now popularly known as Rigal's route, which stretches from Enniskerry up to Glencree, and back by Crone wood to Enniskerry. A really nice cycle, with amazing views (Crappy phone pics here). Very hot, so glad I dosed myself with factor 10 and brought along my Nathan drink belt (is there no end to its usefulness?). Legs were tired after yesterday's run, but still managed the climb up those hills, and was rewarded with the fantastic view back down the valley from Sally Gap. Lovely downhills, then a few small hillclimbs and home.

26.3 miles in 1:47 @14.6mph (HR=144).
    Garmin link

glad to see you enjoying the cycling krusty! its the only way i can push myself at present due to achilles injury (just doing easy runs) so really enjoying it myself - my biggest problem is hayfever tho. your blessed with all the hills. i live out in balbriggan and have to repeat the hills around the naul again and again.

when is your first du/tri?:)

I'm a hay-fever sufferer myself. Found the best thing to do was to ignore it completely. As soon as you touch your eyes or nose, that's it. You're gone. Immediate flu symptoms for 24+ hours.

Less of a 'first' and more of an 'only' tri. I've signed up for Lough Key Sprint in early September. My only concern is the swimming. My wife is worried that I'll drown. Because of those comments I'm 100% determined to make sure that my swim will be good, no matter how much hard work I have to put into it.

I'm also using the swim/cycle to take the pressure off, from my recent injury. It seems to be really working. Only problem is that I don't seem to get many (any) rest days.

Why don't you do a long cycle out to Wicklow? :)

yeah im exactly the same if i touch my eyes im in trouble, eye drops wet tea bags etc needed. am stuffed up summer long tho - like having a damn cold.

ah i will do at some stage but i reckon my long cycle would be to wicklow at this stage, never mind then doing a route and getting back. will build it up gradually tho. must get a bike rack at some stage and drive down one of the weekends and take a spin up the hills.

ha ha comments like that from your wife are a great motivator, its amazing what us men will do to prove them wrong!!

does your calf bother you at all on the bike or is it just running?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    does your calf bother you at all on the bike or is it just running?
    Almost the opposite. It's knotted after a long run, but a cycle almost clears it up entirely. Right.. Time for my swim. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Nice photos KC. You got a great day for it. Must check out the Carigologan route soon.

I've obviously got some work to do if you didn't find the climb up to Glencree too bad! :)

rigal wrote: »
    I've obviously got some work to do if you didn't find the climb up to Glencree too bad! :)
    But I did find the climb out of Enniskerry very tough! Maybe we're built for different kinds of hills?!

Last Night: 45 minutes of 'swimming'. Brought my nine year old, and she had absolutely no interest in swimming strokes. So 45 minutes of who can hold their breath underwater the longest (I won :cool:), who can do a forward and backwards roll (she won), and the number of 'keep-e-uppie' headers we can do with a beach-ball (two :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Like kennyb3, I'm jealous of you having these hills on your doorstep. If you're looking for a steep hill near you, I'd recommend the start of the road from Stepaside up towards Glencullen. Maybe up that way, left in Glencullen, across by Pine Forest and Cruagh to the viewpoint, across the featherbeds to Glencree and back by Enniskerry (40km-ish). And you know you're going to have to go over the Sally Gap some time. (Plenty of photo ops all round)

Cheers. I've run up to Johnny Foxes a few times from Kilternan, but haven't cycled it yet. It's a lovely (but tough) running route. It's a shame all of the roads are in such sh1te condition. Never really appreciated it on the motorcycle, but really notice it on the racing bike wheels (and more to the point the ball-breaker saddle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Just curious to hear your view on road racing vs hill racing?

There are many on this forum who have far more experience than me (and some who win almost every race), but I'll certainly share my views. Both types of race have a place, but both are completely different. In road racing it's you versus the clock, over a fairly well defined course/distance. It's a test of your cardio system, your muscles, your training. It's pretty linear, but not necessarily in a bad way. Many of the variables are known, so it's a pure demonstration of your hard-work and readiness.

With mountain races, not only are you pitting yourself against all of the other competitors, you are also pitting yourself against the terrain. Times are meaningless except for relative times (how you did compared to someone else's time, or compared to your last years time), and instead it's (for me) about trying to work my way up the ranks. It's about making it up the hill, without slowing to a walk. It's bounding from hill to hill, without almost breaking your collarbone (are you reading this Keith?), it's about watching in admiration as a girl you outclimbed on way up, leaves you for dust on the descent. It's the final descent, at breakneck speed, as you try to catch one last scalp. Before the start of the race, people laugh and joke. When the race starts, the joking is over, until after you catch your breadth at the finish line. There's no formality, just a friendly atmosphere. For relative newcomers like myself, each race location is also a new challenge. I never look at my Garmin during a race, except to try and figure out how close I am to the top of the hill or mountain.

Road races will give you a set of achievements that will stick with you forever, like your first 10k, first marathon, etc., whereas the rewards for mountain running are more immediate and more short term.

Jesus, I do waffle. :rolleyes:

Today: 9 miles aerobic - Tullyvale Cabinteely and back by the parks. Poor planning meant a 2:30pm start (and I'm a project manager by trade?!), but thankfully I brought a bottle of water with me, so it wasn't too bad. I definitely faired far better than my run on Tuesday. Stopped half way to do some stretching. Calf muscle is bunched again. Will this ever end?

Summary: 9 miles in 1:10, @7:47/mile, HR=150.
    Garmin Connect

Today:
    35 Min swim
    20km cycle
    5km run
    Not necessarily in that order!

Decided I'd kill two birds with one stone by cycling to the pool, doing my practice session and cycling home. Was also scheduled for a 5 mile recovery run tomorrow, so I figured I'd knock that one on the head too (and also see what it feels like to run after a swim and cycle). So I shortened the run to 5km, and kept the pace very easy. So it was actually a 7mile cycle, + 35 mins of very easy lengths (taking lots of breaks!), followed by a 6 mile cycle home and then the 5k run.

Felt fine afterwards, and glad to have the day off tomorrow, in prep for the 13 miles on Sunday. Calf not feeling too bad today.

Summary: 20.5km Cycle - 48mins (link), 35 min swim, 5km easy run - 24mins (link)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Today:
    35 Min swim
    20km cycle
    5km run
    Not necessarily in that order!

Decided I'd kill two birds with one stone by cycling to the pool, doing my practice session and cycling home. Was also scheduled for a 5 mile recovery run tomorrow, so I figured I'd knock that one on the head too (and also see what it feels like to run after a swim and cycle). So I shortened the run to 5km, and kept the pace very easy. So it was actually a 7mile cycle, + 35 mins of very easy lengths (taking lots of breaks!), followed by a 6 mile cycle home and then the 5k run.

Felt fine afterwards, and glad to have the day off tomorrow, in prep for the 13 miles on Sunday. Calf not feeling too bad today.

Summary: 20.5km Cycle - 48mins (link), 35 min swim, 5km easy run - 24mins (link)

looks like a brick session to me!

Advertisement