Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Intriguing?
    Don't you hate when people only tell half a story? :(
    You'll have to read my poker blog for the other half of that story!
    rigal wrote:
    Surely online poker would be a safer pass time during the lead up to a marathon KC
    Ever heard of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? :)

Today: 5 Mile recovery run in Shanganagh Park. Pace: 8:03. Nice and comfortable, with no stiffness or sign of injury.

Today: 10 Mile run with V02max Intervals
    3 Mile warm-up, followed by 5x1K intervals @5K pace with 2 mins rest between intervals, and a warm-down to wrap-up the 10 miles. This run went great. I really enjoy doing intervals, much better than LT sessions. I think it's because I have a very fast recovery, so by the time the next interval is about to start, I'm fresh and ready.

Ran the intervals a little too fast (5:58/mile), but this pace felt quite comfortable, and had to slow down a couple of times, when I was hitting 5:45. HR monitor is still on the blink, so can't see just how comfortable the intervals were.
    1K Intervals: 3:44, 3:40, 3:44, 3:39, 3:41 (although they're actually 997 metres!).

Summary: 10 miles with 5x1k intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

nice running...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Today: 10 Mile run with V02max Intervals
    3 Mile warm-up, followed by 5x1K intervals @5K pace with 2 mins rest between intervals, and a warm-down to wrap-up the 10 miles. This run went great. I really enjoy doing intervals, much better than LT sessions. I think it's because I have a very fast recovery, so by the time the next interval is about to start, I'm fresh and ready.

Ran the intervals a little too fast (5:58/mile), but this pace felt quite comfortable, and had to slow down a couple of times, when I was hitting 5:45. HR monitor is still on the blink, so can't see just how comfortable the intervals were.
    1K Intervals: 3:44, 3:40, 3:44, 3:39, 3:41 (although they're actually 997 metres!).

Summary: 10 miles with 5x1k intervals

good stuff, its a good way of clocking up the miles as well - and a nice change from the daily slog!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Consistent pacing on those intervals KC - well done!

• Advertisement

Today: 12 Mile medium long run. I was very unenthusiastic after yesterday's interval session, as the body was a little stiff. It seems unusual to schedule a 12 mile run the day after a hard run, but these fellas know best, so with heavy heart (and legs) I set off in the mid-day sun. Yep, I was right. After a mile, I knew this was going to be a tough one. Body was indeed stiff and sore and I was definitely carb depleted (which may have been the P&Ds intention). So I just plodded around, and went investigating some of the estates in the area that I would usually avoid.

The miles were ticking off very slowly, and I was guilty of clock watching, which didn't help, so I was very glad to finish. Couple of easy days in the schedule now.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:37, at 8:04/mile. HR (it's working again!): 149

Was just throwing my running plan into Google calendar, and realized I made the most stupid mistake of getting my start date wrong, and I now have an extra week to play with. That would normally be bad news, but I've also booked a sun holiday, where the temperatures are pretty high (flying out immediately after the Adidas 10 mile), so I'll just have a tickover week in the sunshine. I love it when a failed plan comes together. :)

Today: 6 Miles with 6 x strides
    Still stiff and sore from the mid-week running, so this was slow (as it should be). Hope the stiffness clears up for the planned marathon pace run tomorrow.
    Summary: 6 miles in 50 mins, @8:22/mile.

Also, 6 mile hike from Crone Wood to Lough Tay.

Today: Another solid, but tiring run. 15 miles with 12 miles at planned marathon pace. Last two miles were tough, and still 11 miles short of the big target - I never felt so close but so far away! Hopefully another 4 weeks training, a taper, a flat road, no hiking or beer the night before, then maybe I can go the distance.

Summary: 15 miles @7:06/mile, with 12 miles @7:02. HR=153.

Today: 6 Mile recovery run, with 6 x strides. Hammies a little tight today, but loosened up a little after a few miles. A nice route that took in a little of Killiney beach from the back of Bayview (I do like exploring!).

Summary: 6 miles in 50 mins, with 6 x strides. HR=139.

• Advertisement

Today (pm): 13 mile cycle in 46 mins. Just to stretch the muscles for tomorrow's LT run or IMRA race, whichever I end up doing. HR=127

Today: 4 separate runs :confused:. Schedule had me down for 12 miles, with 7 miles at 15k pace. Couldn't face another really hard run in Shanganagh Park, so decided to throw my lot in with the IMRA trail race instead. So, did a half mile hilly warm-up, followed by the 4.7 mile trail race, followed by a 3 mile warm-down on the (hilly!) road, and topped-off with a 4 mile recover run in Shanganagh Park, as darkness threatened. I really didn't want to do the final 4 miles, but the idea of being short mileage for the day would stick with me far longer than the pain of doing the miles.

Race report: Earl's Drive IMRA Trail race
    Felt in top form coming into the race, so was quietly optimistic of a good performance. Had hoped to do a 2-3 mile warm-up before the race, to knock-off some of today's scheduled 12 miles, but there were big queues at registration, so only managed a brief 1/2 mile. Got a helpful once-over of the course from Slogger_Jogger, which really helped, as I remembered the uphill finish at the end of the race.

First mile was a 5:51 downhill, where I took it nice and handy and just stretched the legs. Didn't push too hard, as I knew a long down-hill leads inevitably to an uphill climb. Despite this, passed lots of runners on this section, who were pushing too hard, and tiring on the first down-hill section. It was going to be a long race for some runners! Then we hit the zig-zags, which I really enjoyed. I felt like I was right in my LT zone, and though it was uphill, was very comfortable. Passed a lot more runners who made the choice to run around mud, pools and branches. Really enjoyed myself on this section. Ended up at the back of a group of 4-5 runners, and slowly pushed through them and moved ahead of this group at around the end of mile two, only to find that there was no-one else to chase. This was tough. I'm used to having a target to pick-off and occasionally use to take a break by matching someone else's pace. But from this point until the end of the race I only met (and passed) one runner, who was in a bad way (exhaustion or injury).

At two different stages I couldn't figure out which way to go, and at one point had to slow down and let the pack catch up to figure out if should take the upward path, or the downward path. Thankfully I got away from them again on the climb, and was on my own again, except for the lonesome runner, until the final climb to the finish, which came too soon (I was expecting a longer climb).

According to the results, I finished in 11th spot with 107% of the winner, which I'm over the moon about. Best result by a long shot (since coming 21st in the WW Trail race). I think a lot of the really good runners don't show up for these trail races, but I don't care damnit, I'm accepting the result with pride!

Summary: 1/2 Mile, Plus IMRA Race, plus 3 miles, plus 4 miles!
    Pace for race: 6:57/mile. Average HR=172 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Tremendous result. Particularly if you had to slow for directions :eek:

LOL. I only lost about 5-10 seconds. I gestured, and one of the lads shouted and urged me in the direction of the uphill. Proof (if any was needed) that a recce is a very good idea! Suprised to see that I gained 30 seconds on that group again over the last mile though. I didn't want to look back, but constantly had a sense that they were on my shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good Running there KC, you are in great shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done KC , great result , good for the old confidence too ;)

Today: 13 mile recovery cycle, in 48 mins, @26km/hr.
    Very nice loop, out the N11 past Bray, up to Enniskerry, Kilternan, and back via Rathmichael. Couple of small hill-climbs that really helped loosen up the post race stiffness.

Tonight: Pints. I'm only human!

Today: Calf felt stiff after Wednesday's race, and I don't want to head down the path to injury again, so I skipped the planned twelve miler in favour of a 17 mile easy cycle. When I finished the cycle, the calf felt a little looser, so I went back out and did tomorrow's 5 mile run, which leaves me with a 12 tomorrow, and a 20 on Sunday. Eek.

Summary: 17 mile cycle, and 5 recovery miles in 42 mins, @8:31

Today: 12 mile medium long run. Calf was still stiff, and I was very tired for this run (possibly because my previous run/cycle was around 12 hours previous to this), but managed it all the same.

Discovered a great little shortcut from the scalp down to Fassaroe (the missing link I had been looking for). Might be handy for you Rigal, if you're looking for an alternative route to the Enniskerry to N11 road (although there is one closed gate that you have to lift your bike over).

Summary: 12 miles @7:46/mile in 1:33. HR=147.

Today: 20 mile run from Athlone town to Roscommon Town. Despite being in the hard shoulder of a national road, it's actually a nice route, with lovely country-side, some gentle drags, and lots of friendly tractor-drivers waving and saluting.

This is the first of just two twenty mile runs in my 12 week marathon program, and I was feeling pretty tired from yesterday's 12 mile run, so was a little anxious about this one. The fact that I'd brought one of my kids pairs of running socks instead of my own didn't help. :o Still, too late to do anything about it.

Headed out with a plan to keep the early miles at +8:00min/mile, but the body and the mind wasn't prepared to do that. As soon as I'd look away from the watch, the pace would pick-up, so I kind of went with the flow (around 7:45/mm). Took a break after 10 miles to check out a wedge tomb in a town called Lecarrow, but otherwise a good consistent run. Picked up the pace a little for the last 5 miles, but got a bit water dehydrated. Overall, very happy with the run and the overall pace (a good 10 minutes faster than my last 20 mile lsr, pre-injury, and with a pretty good heart rate).

Things to do while running:
    Learnt the alphabet backwards, over the first two miles. Damn, shoud've saved this one for the marathon!

Summary: 20 miles in 2:32, @7:37/mile, HR=146.

Summary for week: 55 miles (wahoo!), with 37 miles over the weekend, a good hill race on Wednesday (11th), and a couple of good cycles. A good week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

20 miles in 2:32, @7:37/mile, HR=146.

20 miles! 7:37 mile! hr 146!, and here's me banging on about 8 mile, 9:30 mm, avg hr 150

back to drawing board with tail between my legs methinks.

Great running though krusty, if that's a min over marathon pace, then sub 3 is well on the cards

Around here, I learned pretty quickly that there was no point in comparing my performances to others. I'd never put my runners on again for shame! Comparing you own progress is the only real marker. That's definitely not a minute over marathon performance either! I couldn't bring myself to slow down. Oh, and I'm still way off sub-three pace.

But...on a positive note, I did learn to say the alphabet backwards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Krusty, can you tell me did you use gels on your 20miler? Thats some great running by the way.

Hi Bally8, I carried an Isotonic drink on a drink belt (500ml), and took a SIS Isotonic gel at 6 miles and 12 miles, to emulate the race (that's what I plan to do for the race, without the drink/drinks belt). I would normally only take a single gel, for runs from 15-19 miles, and wouldn't bother taking one for anything shorter. But after 18 miles, I was gasping for water. Too much sugar, and not enough water!

Today: 8 Miles with 5x600m Intervals @5K pace.
    Made life hard on myself by skipping lunch, so I tried to ram in some high energy foods (penguin bars and cream crackers!). It was getting dark by the time I finished the 4 mile warm-up, and launched into the intervals, so I had trouble reading the pace from the watch while on the move.

Intervals: 2:11/2:13/2:13/2:16/2:11 (average pace 6min/mile).

Summary: 8 miles with 6 x intervals.

Today: 11 Mile medium Long run, in the dark, in 1:27. I had forgotten what it was like to run at night, amongst the teenage knacker-drinkers. The days of blissful innocence. I remember them well.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:27, @7:55/mile. HR=140.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good running there lately KC, you are in good shape!

On mobile, from the airport, so short post! Finished the 10 mile in 66:15, in 181st place. Quite happy with that for my 1st 10 mile race. Now sun and beer for a week! Nice to meet all the boards clan. Until next week, ciao!

BTW mcmillan is a self fullfilling prophecy! I ran at the pace suggested by his formula, therefore I hit the time on the button! Next time, i'm going faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Just catching up on your log now KC. Nice running at the weekend - a good confidence booster for next month. Enjoy the break.

Advertisement