Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorry to have to pull you up on this but why would Mars Bar Cakes be of benefit to Kids? Why do you 'need' junk fodd for kids? Is this not the type of menatality that gets people to be overweight in the first place?

okay...i misphrased....kids parties...there is always going to be some junk food...thats all i meant...to satisfy there wants...treats in MODERATION...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sorry to have to pull you up on this but why would Mars Bar Cakes be of benefit to Kids? Why do you 'need' junk fodd for kids? Is this not the type of menatality that gets people to be overweight in the first place?

She said kiddie parties in the post that you just quoted. Some people like to provide a slice of cake for their kids birthday parties. Oh the horror! It was very obvious what Lady Lainy meant.

Is this what this thread is going to become now? You're not content with ridiculing us in the main forum, you're going to do it here now?

Chinafoot wrote: »
    She said kiddie parties in the post that you just quoted. Some people like to provide a slice of cake for their kids birthday parties. Oh the horror! It was very obvious what Lady Lainy meant.

Is this what this thread is going to become now? You're not content with ridiculing us in the main forum, you're going to do it here now?

no no its okay....i get where they were coming from....dont worry i'm not going soft now...i just understand where different ppl were coming from now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

I stumbled across a very nice recipe today for a low PP dinner:

Spinach and Cherry Tomato Pasta

Ingredients for 1 serving 9pp:

3 nests of tagliatelle 6pp
    1 clove of garlic grated
    2 or 3 frozen spinach balls
    5 cherry tomatoes halved
    1 tsp of olive oil 1pp
    1/2 egg whisked 1pp
    1 tsp of pine kernels 1pp

Cook the pasta in boiling water and pinch of salt until done to your taste and leave to one side.

In a small non stick saucepan, heat the oil then add the garlic with some salt, reduce heat if needed to avoid the garlic burning.

Add the spinach and allow to saute. (I added a small drop of water for more moisture as didn't want to use more oil).

Add the cherry tomatoes and pine kernels and cover for approx 4 mins stirring occasionally. (I left it for about 5 mins to let the skins come off the tomatoes, hate them!).

Add the pasta and mix together. Remove from heat and pour the egg, gently mixing it through to coat the pasta, it will turn to scrambled egg if left on heat. Season with salt and pepper. (or some chilli flakes, addicted at the mo)

Add 2tsp of parmesan for 2pp.

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    no no its okay....i get where they were coming from....dont worry i'm not going soft now...i just understand where different ppl were coming from now...

We can all understand it. Unfortunately those who have been the most vocal in that other thread don't want to see our pov. They'd rather assume we're all sitting around crying into our ww cakes and wondering why we're still fat.

No, they either misread your post or deliberately chose to ignore what you actually meant. Either way, this thread was set up as a non-judgmental space for WW users. Not somewhere that we should have defend every post to people who have already picked us apart in a thread slating the WW plan.

• Advertisement

Bought the seriously satisfying cook book today. Some really nice ideas in it.

We can all understand it. Unfortunately those who have been the most vocal in that other thread don't want to see our pov. They'd rather assume we're all sitting around crying into our ww cakes and wondering why we're still fat.

No, they either misread your post or deliberately chose to ignore what you actually meant. Either way, this thread was set up as a non-judgmental space for WW users. Not somewhere that we should have defend every post to people who have already picked us apart in a thread slating the WW plan.

Oh sorry....i gotta laugh....crying into our ww cakes....I LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You know your right in one way! but just because I as a parent do not let my children have a cake, sweet, marsbar cake etc does not mean they will never eat junk at some point they will start to eat it, so I decided to teach them about healthy eating every thing in moderation. hopefully this will teach them to eat healthy and have the odd treat. :) lucky for me I can have junk in the house for weeks, MIL brought over chocolate browines for a birthday party, they got thrown out weeks later ! now fruit I have to hide some for me as they devour it!

my point is, a little treat every now and again is ok, just not every day :)

lil kc wrote: »
    I stumbled across a very nice recipe today for a low PP dinner:

Spinach and Cherry Tomato Pasta

Ingredients for 1 serving 9pp:

3 nests of tagliatelle 6pp
    1 clove of garlic grated
    2 or 3 frozen spinach balls
    5 cherry tomatoes halved
    1 tsp of olive oil 1pp
    1/2 egg whisked 1pp
    1 tsp of pine kernels 1pp

Cook the pasta in boiling water and pinch of salt until done to your taste and leave to one side.

In a small non stick saucepan, heat the oil then add the garlic with some salt, reduce heat if needed to avoid the garlic burning.

Add the spinach and allow to saute. (I added a small drop of water for more moisture as didn't want to use more oil).

Add the cherry tomatoes and pine kernels and cover for approx 4 mins stirring occasionally. (I left it for about 5 mins to let the skins come off the tomatoes, hate them!).

Add the pasta and mix together. Remove from heat and pour the egg, gently mixing it through to coat the pasta, it will turn to scrambled egg if left on heat. Season with salt and pepper. (or some chilli flakes, addicted at the mo)

Add 2tsp of parmesan for 2pp.

that sounds really nice! i think i kinda like spinach.....sometimes i love it...sometimes its horrible!

thats like my carbonara recipe...where the sauce is really just egg added to hot pasta and turns to scrambled egg, and add some lean ham bits from aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Can you all review what you posted in the last few hours and msybe edit it as per mods suggestion on the other thread.
    I really dint want to loose this outlet

Edit: i'm going to assume they are in thd main refering to the term food nazi's

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    that sounds really nice! i think i kinda like spinach.....sometimes i love it...sometimes its horrible!

thats like my carbonara recipe...where the sauce is really just egg added to hot pasta and turns to scrambled egg, and add some lean ham bits from aldi.

Its yum, the spinach absorbs the flavour from the garlic and salt at the beginning. I think if you forgot about the rest of the recipe that alone would make a nice dip thing for nachos. Must experiment :D

Did a similar thing the other night with bacon and mushrooms to make a carbonara. Mmm

Bought the seriously satisfying cook book today. Some really nice ideas in it.

I got it as well, some recipes are lovely and ones I can use for the whole family but was not overly impressed to be honest, Im glad its not expensive like some cook books even other WW ones.
    The pork pie is lovely:)

oh god i need to sleep! Hope we're all still here tomorrow!

woo 2 good days! thank god i have tomorrow off excercise! Must make some bran muffins...(very healthy, full of bran/fibre and fruit, very little sugar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No worries, I see what you are all saying.
    What I was pulling LL up on was the 'need' word. Kids do not 'need' junk food, sure you can provide some at a party but needing junk food would suggest that kids will grow up eating it very regularly, becoming part of their daily life. Then what happens when young adults first move out of their parents house? They ineviatbly ditch any healthy eating habits they had and eat loads of Junk food. It happened me anyway, I should know!

What I was pulling LL up on was the 'need' word. Kids do not 'need' junk food, sure you can provide some at a party but needing junk food would suggest that kids will grow up eating it very regularly, becoming part of their daily life. Then what happens when young adults first move out of their parents house? They ineviatbly ditch any healthy eating habits they had and eat loads of Junk food. It happened me anyway, I should know!

Yea, see what you mean, actually this is my pet hate, its cost so much more to eat healthy, were junk food is so cheap, should be the other way round!

oh i hear ya! my brother eats nothing but processed crap...he's 22 and doesnt know how to boil an egg!

practical nutrition should be thought in schools, like transition years...how to shop...how to portion....how to budget groceries and how calories differ for men and women, and BMI and BMR!

kids should be thought moderation, as one poster said...deny it totally and they'll crack and go nuts when they move out of home and live on nothing but take out...where as moderation....they will learn...eat a bar of chocolate....then go play some extra football....

wish my folks knew more about nutrition and how to feed a family...

I dont think i would have made it thru college this year if i was eating crap...i would have been so unhealthy...and get run down...i've never been healthier...but i think thats a combo of ww...and self educating...i'm constantly questioning things...reading up on things...

Portion Control, Education, Exercise are all vital to healthy diet

Baby75 wrote: »
    Yea, see what you mean, actually this is my pet hate, its cost so much more to eat healthy, were junk food is so cheap, should be the other way round!

i was horrified when i went to the states! i came home feeling so gross...sluggish unhealthy...processed food was so cheap...but a green salad was 10 dollars

let them tax junk food all they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

back to the order of business:

1.75lbs down (i weight in at home on a WW branded scales), just one ikkle lb away from the 14's:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Looks like I missed out on one big mess last night - glad I didn't bother to turn on the laptop once I got home! I hope this thread doesn't get shut down, because it is a valuable source of encouragement for ppl on WW! And I think that everyone who is posting here is aware that all WW gives are guidelines! Yes, there are WW products available, but I have never felt them forced on me! And judging from the amount of recipes that get posted here, I would say that most ppl are trying their best to develop long term, healthy eating habits, rather than just ditch the weight! That's my 2cents anyway!

Anyway, I was good yesterday and stuck to my points - although I did have a cheeky snack of toasted brown bread with nutella when I got home from the gym last night! Was delish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    back to the order of business:

1.75lbs down (i weight in at home on a WW branded scales), just one ikkle lb away from the 14's:D

Great result. Hope you get to see the 14s next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Well, I missed out on all the "goings-on" here last night but thankfully it seems to have been sorted so hopefully we can all continue as before........:)

I had my WI last night and I'm very very happy to say that after two bad weeks, (where I was up!), I was down 4.5lbs and I'm now in the 12's!! I haven't been in the 12's in the past 10 years!! Yaay yaay yaay!!!! :D

I'm 2.5lbs off a full 3 stone lost and I'm hoping to make that in the next couple of weeks.

Hope you're all having a good one! And to those who are having a bad week, chin up and don't give up ...... we all have a bad week but the trick is to get back on the wagon. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Well, I missed out on all the "goings-on" here last night but thankfully it seems to have been sorted so hopefully we can all continue as before........:)

I had my WI last night and I'm very very happy to say that after two bad weeks, (where I was up!), I was down 4.5lbs and I'm now in the 12's!! I haven't been in the 12's in the past 10 years!! Yaay yaay yaay!!!! :D

I'm 2.5lbs off a full 3 stone lost and I'm hoping to make that in the next couple of weeks.

Hope you're all having a good one! And to those who are having a bad week, chin up and don't give up ...... we all have a bad week but the trick is to get back on the wagon. Good luck.

Well done. Seeing a new stone bracket is such a motivation. I'm sure you're feeling fantastic today. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

WELL, it has taken me almost an hour to read over everything I missed after I logged off last night.

The last thing on the "matter" I want to say is, I would be really upset if this thread got closed down. Just as G'em said, for some people weightloss is a science journey and for others it is an emotional journey. I think most people would agree here that for us it is an emotional journey and if we didn't have the support of this thread, who knows where we would be. Some of us are lucky to have support at home etc, but others don't want people knowing or are doing it at home, therefore this is their motivational meeting.

I too understand where the other posters were coming from, but I think we all need to exercise a bit of caution when we are posting as to not offend anyone. And also, to understand each others weightloss journey is different and that's ok.

Reading about all the losses guys, well done!!! You have motivated me so much. While I haven't fallen off the wagon, the last few weeks I just have not been bothering at all. Exercise or food wise. After WI tonight, am determined to get back on track.

GT: Great, almost in the 14's like myself, can't wait. I think I was actually 13 or 14 yo the last time I was in the 14's.

I don't take sugar any more, but have been using a tiny bit of sweetener, but know its crap, I was thinking about using maple syrup on porridge as this is the only time I want something if I wasn't having some fruit on it. is it better and how many points in itsmile.gif

WI tomorrow not sure I will reach 7 pounds but will deffo make it next week

oh question about exercise, Ive been walking about 50 minutes everyday, I haven't eaten the points from it, do you have to, whats the best way to handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Baby75 wrote: »
    oh question about exercise, Ive been walking about 50 minutes everyday, I haven't eaten the points from it, do you have to, whats the best way to handle that.

The leader in my class said to earn activity points but not to use them if possible as if we don't it will make for better results on the scales so I've been leaving mine alone so far.

heading into my 3rd good day in a row :) it so weird having time to make nice healthy food again!

I mix a ww dessert yoghurts (strawberry, lemon, raspberry, apple 1pp each) into my porridge in the morning for a bit of flavour. Really nice...and really makes my breakfast a whole lot more filling.

Lemon Curd, Sugar free jam, dash of cinnamon, dash of lo-cal coco poweder, work great as well..

What i do sometimes, if we have them...is microwave a few strawberries till they are soft and almost liquid and add them to the porridge ...0pp strawberry jam!

Fish & potato salad for lunch today. Today is my Rest day from excercise so will be making a tonne of fruit 'n' fibre muffins.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jackie307133

Just had my weigh in this morning and down 2lbs, 9 to date, so excited :D

Caros wrote: »
    The leader in my class said to earn activity points but not to use them if possible as if we don't it will make for better results on the scales so I've been leaving mine alone so far.

I use my activity pp before i use my weeklies. :) which is the equevelent to using about half the weeklies with the amount of exercise i'm doing this week!

if you are going to use them....use them on GOOD foods..like adding an extra bit of chicken to your dinner for extra protein after the excercise....

cos it kinda is pointless earning 5 activty points out walking....and eating a yorkie (not saying you do, just pulling that out of air to make a point)

Just had my weigh in this morning and down 2lbs, 9 to date, so excited :D

excellent! I'm finally back on track this week! and feeling 100 times better for it! think i'll see a good number this week :D Just been so tough last few weeks/months with assignments, research, meetings, exams, mocks, practicals, revision, early starts, late nights....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LORNLAKES22

hi just joined in this week - started off on the other thread and ended up embroiled in the anti- WW and yes i can see where they are coming from however.... anyway enough of that - I joined WW last week and have my first WI tomorrow evening - ( did WW before in 2001 and have actually only put up around 1 stone over the intervening years ) but noticed over the past few months another couple of lbs creeping on which brought me well above my comfortable zone - so have decided to just bite the bullet and try the structure and control of the weekly meeting. I have been sticking to my points and this week have not felt any need as yet to use the weeklies - also joined my local gym and have been going to spinning classes about twice a week and walking the legs off the dog.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement