Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Micki

Well i had my weigh in yesterday evening. Had not been there in 2 weeks but was down a half pound. I was happy enough with that as i had drank my 2 litres of water yesterday and i am below WW goal so it is slow anyway! I stayed for meeting and learned something! The new Avonmore Light 1% milk(think it has replaced the avonmore low fat, in light blue carton) is in fact the same points as skimmed milk! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Micki wrote: »
    Well i had my weigh in yesterday evening. Had not been there in 2 weeks but was down a half pound. I was happy enough with that as i had drank my 2 litres of water yesterday and i am below WW goal so it is slow anyway! I stayed for meeting and learned something! The new Avonmore Light 1% milk(think it has replaced the avonmore low fat, in light blue carton) is in fact the same points as skimmed milk! :D

depends on the amount....some times they are the same pp for like 100ml but as the volume goes up the pp difference is there

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Hiya everyone is doing well :) can anyone tell me how many points are in those mini organic rice cakes ( the ones with yoghurt on them )

Hiya everyone is doing well :) can anyone tell me how many points are in those mini organic rice cakes ( the ones with yoghurt on them )

not sure off the top of my head....but they are quite high ....like 8 or 9pp per bag i think

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    depends on the amount....some times they are the same pp for like 100ml but as the volume goes up the pp difference is there

Well our leader confirmed yesterday that they are the same points so i am content with that! The only thing higher in it is fat but the protein and carbohydrates are lower so it works out the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Morning all :) congratulations on the losses all really good results & inspiring for the rest of us

Im glad to see we are still here, but to echo chinafoot I wonder would the mods & admins consider moving this thread to a different forum. I agree with points raised by previous posters & acknowledged by g'em the '2 groups' are at odds & there is a definite feeling that we are not wanted here, it's actually been said in the other thread & this is the reason why I can see a row like this bubbling over again quite soon. As Monife put it above some of us have this thread in lieu of telling ppl in real life. I'd hate to lose this thread & our little community I really would. So maybe to move us from the 'sciency' crowd would be better.

I also think this accounts for why alot of us ( well me definitely) don't bother posting in the other nutrition threads, which seems to be the bug bear for the 'sciency' crowd as well.... Just a thought

I'm also curious as to why the haters of WW are so intent on reading this thread if it pushes their buttons so much & causes them to get as het up as they did in the last few days?? I just hope bygones can be bygones & the snide commentary stops & ppls dietary choices are respected!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Anyone have any suugestion for nice 1PP yoghurts? I got the diet yoghurts which are lovely (got the berries ones) thought someone here said they were 1PP but that was for 100ml but they are like 125ml so work out at 2PP!

I dont want to get the WW ones as they are grand sometimes for the diff flavours but expensive enough.

Thanks!

Well our leader confirmed yesterday that they are the same points so i am content with that! The only thing higher in it is fat but the protein and carbohydrates are lower so it works out the same...

So technically this is better for you then slimline? Might give it a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭FatGirlSlim

some things just arent the pp points, the healthier it is, the less pp generally...like i know they say you can have "anything"....but getting rid of some seriously high pp food will be healthy for you....so definitely sound like your ready for it!

and sure there are a few ww @ home ppl on here, my self included :D we share with the ww meetings ppl, and they share with us :D best of all worlds on here!

Stuck to my points as well yesterday so very happy with myself:)

I definitely feel like I'm eating the same amount if not more than I have been for the past year or more dieting, so loving it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

not sure off the top of my head....but they are quite high ....like 8 or 9pp per bag i think

Thanks a million :) I have 3 of them sitting here looking at me and i forgot to point them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

had my wi in last nite and down 1lb... kinda disappointed cause was hoping for a bigger on but at least its down:D... best of luck to everyone else who has wi...

Eemia wrote: »
    So technically this is better for you then slimline? Might give it a go :)

Yeah i would imagine it is better for you! I know they say slimline is only stripped of fat and has all the other stuff still in it but i am going to use the Light 1% now myself as i only ever have milk with cereal in the morning as i don't drink tea or coffee or even glasses of milk... And it's the same points so happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jackie307133

excellent! I'm finally back on track this week! and feeling 100 times better for it! think i'll see a good number this week :D Just been so tough last few weeks/months with assignments, research, meetings, exams, mocks, practicals, revision, early starts, late nights....

I don't think i'd be doing well if i was studying, i don't cope very well with that sort of stress, well done you for being able to do it under all that pressure :)

Yeah i would imagine it is better for you! I know they say slimline is only stripped of fat and has all the other stuff still in it but i am going to use the Light 1% now myself as i only ever have milk with cereal in the morning as i don't drink tea or coffee or even glasses of milk... And it's the same points so happy days :D

Yeah and slimline is a bit watery too IMO. Ill get a carton of the light today while i get few other bits. Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hi everyone, haven't posted on here for ages as I've been away from WW for a bit as I'm exercising a lot to tone up and felt a break from WW was needed, but I want to ask your advice.

I had a health check last week and my weight is in the normal range (I lost 3 stone with WW - yay) however my cholesterol is a little high.

I couldn't understand this as I don't eat butter (just lowlow on toast) and I never use oil/fat for cooking (I use the spray) but the nurse suggested it may be due to the fact that real butter is actually better for you than some of the "low fat" products and perhaps I'm having too much salt. (that's my own problem - I'm a salt fiend, and especially since it's 0pp!)

I wonder if some of the low pp foods are actually worse for you in other ways?
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jackie307133

izzy24 wrote: »
    had my wi in last nite and down 1lb... kinda disappointed cause was hoping for a bigger on but at least its down:D... best of luck to everyone else who has wi...

i used to get disappointed with only a one pound weight loss as i have 150lbs to lose but after my leader brought in a bag with 1lb of fat in it and seeing how much it was really motivated me and makes me thankful for every 1lb i'm down. Well done on your weight loss:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

dammitj wrote: »
    I couldn't understand this as I don't eat butter (just lowlow on toast) and I never use oil/fat for cooking (I use the spray) but the nurse suggested it may be due to the fact that real butter is actually better for you than some of the "low fat" products and perhaps I'm having too much salt. (that's my own problem - I'm a salt fiend, and especially since it's 0pp!)
    ?

when I was at my heaviest, I had bloods taken for something and they also checked my cholesterol ... it was just below average?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Well after me eating like a pig and drinking like a fish for the last two weeks,I was up .5 lb, so am very relieved!
    It just showed me had I chickened out of going this week I'd be convincing myself I was up about 5 lbs and would have eaten out of pure disgust. So I'm back on track now, and will get that half pound and more off me next week. Going to plan my meals now and do a shop.

On the other issue I agree with Kay, if this thread annoys them why do they continue to read it. Leave them to it,and hopefully they can leave us alone. Anyway hopefully its been sorted now and we can carry on supporting one another as we have been doing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

when i stick to the plan and follow it Properly....i lose weight....my BMI comes down, i lose inches, i sleep better, have more energy, my skin and hair are healthier.

We are aware junk food is bad for us...we talk about dessert recipes as a...lesser of two evils. Alot of posters on here have young kids, so things like the mars bar cakes would be of benefit to some posters trying to host kiddie parties .who made need junk food for the kids....and yes those ppl may be tempted to eat that junk...so at least with pointed recipes...they have a better chance of keeping track of what they are eating.....

They arent promoting....eat junk to lose weight....they are just sharing recipes that may be of use to people...

I am a gold member of WW and have been for some time. I find the programme a great way of monitoring and maintaining weight. It's a way of life, not a diet. It's a support group not a cult. It's not fanatical, it's not a fad. It understands that people are human and "most" people have to go to parties/eat away from home/on the go/quickly etc at some point in their life. It explains how to choose the better option all the time, even the better convenience food option. It promotes healthy eating - look at the advice about fruit and veg, alcohol, oils, good fats etc. I can't remember anything being said or recommended in this thread that is in anyway against the spirit of that.

Obviously there are people who for what ever reason decide to have a very strict diet (or have to) and that is fine, each to their own. WW isn't that, doesn't promote that, doesn't claim to be that. It's about eating heathier most of the time in a realistic way.

Hi everyone, haven't posted on here for ages as I've been away from WW for a bit as I'm exercising a lot to tone up and felt a break from WW was needed, but I want to ask your advice.

I had a health check last week and my weight is in the normal range (I lost 3 stone with WW - yay) however my cholesterol is a little high.

What do you think?

did they tell you was it your good cholesterol or bad cholesterol? there are two types....comes times it can run in the family i know ppl who are size 8 with high Bad cholestrol.

Salt is a killer,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

What do you think?

I think you have your answer, if you are using to much salt it might be it, I wonder would one of those spreads like flora would be better than low low, porriage is very good at reducing cholesterol or there are some bran muffin recipes that are meant to help!
    hopefully some one else will know more Lainy may be!

Baby75 wrote: »
    I think you have your answer, if you are using to much salt it might be it, I wonder would one of those spreads like flora would be better than low low, porriage is very good at reducing cholesterol or there are some bran muffin recipes that are meant to help!
    hopefully some one else will know more Lainy may be!

you can get unsalted flora, maybe try some benicol drinks....and dont worry about fecking pointing it....cos HEALTH comes before ww and pp!

And i wouldnt be surprised that if some low fat products are worse for us health wise than full fat versions...like think of how many additives and E numbers must go into them....i try not to think about it! like technically diet coke is meant to be worse than regular coke....i try to avoid both tbh....

Muffin recipe.....this is my own tweaked concoction

125g white self raising flour
    40g Light brown sugar
    30g odlums wheat bran (dunnes stores)
    1 whole egg
    table spoon of low fat natural yoghurt
    100 skimmed milk
    Fruit of your choice (strawberries, blueberries, rasperries, banana all work great)
    15g splenda
    1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Soak the bran wheat in the milk for few mins,

Cream the sugar/splenda/egg together,

Sift the flour/baking powder/bicarbonate at least twice to get it nice a fluffy.

Combine all of the above ingredents. taking care not to work it too much or they will sink and go flat. just at the end fold in the fruit.

(if using bananas have them thouroughly mashed with fork before folding into mixture)

This recipe makes six decent muffins at 4pp each! High fibre, really filling, with slow releasing carb energy. to make them even better again you can also use self raising brown flour (i've only seen that in super valu)

Oven should be pre heated to about 180 - 200 degrees, and they only need about 20 mins....leave them in the oven until cold if you can...if you open the door too quickly they can fall...so you could even get away with turning off the oven at about 16 mintues

(Took me ages to learn all the knacks...trial and error)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

there are good fats and bad fats out there

Olive oil is a good fat and cholestrol free

Real butter is not as processed as light spreads so is better for you though higher in fat content which is why I still only use real butter

At all costs try to avoid hydrognated fats they are the worse kind and very bad for you but are found in porocessed foods.

Prawns are also high in cholestrol so be careful with them.

We all know salt is bad for us so be carefull we are not using it too much too flavour our foods, we generally get enough from the naturaly occuring salts in our food.

Eggs have cholestrol but are generally good for you in moderation 6/7 a week are fine because the are a natural food and not processed

I use the low cal spray I know its probably not good for me but i have a really good egg pan and one squirt means no need for oil...I dont use it on salads

I do use the xlight mayo but very little and when having a sandwich I use relish but no butter and no mayo.

I hope this helps and if I have made any errors please advise:pac::pac:

aspie mum wrote: »
    there are good fats and bad fats out there

Olive oil is a good fat and cholestrol free

Real butter is not as processed as light spreads so is better for you though higher in fat content which is why I still only use real butter

At all costs try to avoid hydrognated fats they are the worse kind and very bad for you but are found in porocessed foods.

Prawns are also high in cholestrol so be careful with them.

We all know salt is bad for us so be carefull we are not using it too much too flavour our foods, we generally get enough from the naturaly occuring salts in our food.

Eggs have cholestrol but are generally good for you in moderation 6/7 a week are fine because the are a natural food and not processed

I use the low cal spray I know its probably not good for me but i have a really good egg pan and one squirt means no need for oil...I dont use it on salads

I do use the xlight mayo but very little and when having a sandwich I use relish but no butter and no mayo.

I hope this helps and if I have made any errors please advise:pac::pac:

gold star! essential fatty acids..we need them or we will actually fall apart!
    they effect our absorption of vitamins, a decadency can screw up our reproductive system, our sleep, our skin will be dull, hair and nails will be weak,

there was a show a few weeks ago on RTE about salt in food...it might still be on the RTE player....it was really shocking, cant rememeber the stats, but it was like like 12kg or 12lbs of salt a year a family were eating BEFORE adding table salt to there plates....HOLY ****E!

I'm like you aspie, i do use xlight mayo...but only like about 15g at a time...i weight it out on the scales....i think someone might have taken me up badly yesterday when i was saying 70g for 2pp...i was only just pointing it...wasnt saying i used that...

a bit of sweet chilli is lovely on wraps and sandwiches too for that moisture...

i can email ppl my college nutrition notes if ye like...they are too big to attach on here :) (just PM me your email addy)

i've definitely found... knowing how it works and why its needed by the body makes eating better easier...its all about balance...not cutting out all fats...

Thanks guys.

I have a science degree myself so I know a certain amount about this, however I didn't know that prawns are high in cholesterol! Thanks for that - I LOVE prawns and eat lots of them, oops.

I think when I was heavier my cholesterol was lower, and I think it may be partly due to so-called low fat options.
    And yes, I must cut down on the salt. I used to use too much of it because I smoked for ten years til January of this year and couldn't really taste anything! :D

Also, the health talk we had at work the other day said that those benecol/activia etc. drinks are a total waste of time. They add plant stenols etc. to these products, whereas you'd be better (and be less out of pocket) to just eat some broccoli and drink some milk. :)

Thanks for the replies guys!
    Less salt for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LORNLAKES22

Quote : Why hasn't cutting fat from the diet paid off as expected? Detailed research—much of it done at Harvard—shows that the total amount of fat in the diet isn't really linked with weight or disease. (6-9) What really matters is the type of fat in the diet. Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases. Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body.

What about cholesterol in food? For most people, the mix of fats in the diet influences cholesterol in the bloodstream far more than cholesterol in food does[/U].

This is an excerpt from an article from the Harvard School of Public health - if you log on to the website - it may help to make the cholestorol issue a bit clearer

i can email ppl my college nutrition notes if ye like...they are too big to attach on here :) (just PM me your email addy)

i've definitely found... knowing how it works and why its needed by the body makes eating better easier...its all about balance...not cutting out all fats...

Thanks missus - no harm in having a read! Bring me back to my college days, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

kashmir wrote: »
    O M G! Love the sound of that. Is there any chance I might eat all 14 slices though?? ::D

How long does it stay fresh? Only two if us....would I have to wait until I have a crowd or bring it into work and have them all KILL me lol

Maybe make half the cake and then it wouldn go to waste:D.. not sure how long it would last but would reckon it would last a while...

its very heavy and i only make it on a special ocassion so have to watch that i dont eat to much.. i usualy half the 5pp slices cause then u can have two pieces which seems alot more:D..

• Advertisement

Quote : Why hasn't cutting fat from the diet paid off as expected? Detailed research—much of it done at Harvard—shows that the total amount of fat in the diet isn't really linked with weight or disease. (6-9) What really matters is the type of fat in the diet. Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases. Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body.

What about cholesterol in food? For most people, the mix of fats in the diet influences cholesterol in the bloodstream far more than cholesterol in food does[/U].

This is an excerpt from an article from the Harvard School of Public health - if you log on to the website - it may help to make the cholestorol issue a bit clearer

Thanks for this - will deffo check it out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement