Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Morning all. I'm a bit :( this morning as I had my WI last night and I was up 2.5 lbs! But it's my totm and I'm always heavier at that time.
    Anyway, our leader confirmed that we can count fibre as zero if it's not listed in the nutritional info.
    Good luck to all.
    P.S. Thanks Birdie085 for the note on Meanies - LOVE them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 tiptoe shortbread

Hi everyone, I went back to meetings last week after doing the old plan for about 8 years....I'm 30 this year and don't want to be chunky n 30 aswell...... biggrin.gif

Hey Tiptoe- I'm 30 this year too- which has given me the kick in the arse I need!
    Just sick of not being comfy in my clothes and want to look good in the bday pics.
    Also have 2 weddings to go too!

Good luck with your journey and everyone on here is brilliant support!

I think exactly the same smileyface, I've about another 12 pounds to go to my goal.....crossing fingers for another couple off tomorrow at WI as I was down 3 pounds last week......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi All,

Quick question about goal weights I don't have one at the moment, as in I don't have an official one I have a number in my head, that i'm getting closer to but i haven't spoken to my leader about it yet (my class is always so busy). Before I talk to her i just want to get an idea of how everyone else decided on their goal weights, I want to make sure its realistic, but I don't want to be too lenient on myself either. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

dottie lottie, I had 10 pounds as my goal in my head but i've decided to go for a stone and 4 pounds. That'll take me down to 9 stone so I think I'll be happy there...am 3 pounds into it so far....you could just pick a weight that you think you'd be happy with and take it from there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Oeufmerf

Hi all,

I'd really like to get some feedback from others on how they are progressing with the new ProPoints system. I started back to WW after a year a half break. I was really excited about the ProPoints system and very willing to try it out, let me stress I was not one of those people who were resisting the old tried and tested method. However.....

WEEK ONE: Followed the plan to the letter, tracked until I was blue in the face, stepped up the exercise and went on my merry way to my first meeting to be told that I'd lost 2 pounds. I was a little disappointed.

This is my 4th (yes, I know....) time joining WW and each time I would lose between 3-4 pounds on my first week and then normally a pound each week thereafter. I need to lose approx 2 stone.

So, I put this down to getting used to the new plan and thought maybe I was overindulging on the fruit (3-4 pieces a day) so I cut down! Also thought I might be retaining a little bit of water with that time of the month (and that would normally impact me) so I carried on regardless.

WEEK TWO: Doubly followed the plan to the letter, cut down on the fruit, drank a heap of water. Did everything that I am supposed to do and I lost half a pound!!!! :eek: And, this is realistically down to the strategic pee that is necessary before every weigh in!

What is going on here???? I have gone through my diary with everyone that I know who is doing this to see if points have snuck in where I haven't noticed but no!!! My leader just told me to hang in there without really trying to go in to any detail :confused:

Please can someone shed some light on what is going on here??? I would be happy to share my tracker and any other fine details if someone could just help me.

Feeling very demotivated and depressed - I know it is only week 2 but as a seasoned WWer I am usually feeling the reduction in lovehandles and looser clothes and that spurs me on.

Help!

• Advertisement

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Morning all. I'm a bit :( this morning as I had my WI last night and I was up 2.5 lbs! But it's my totm and I'm always heavier at that time.
    Anyway, our leader confirmed that we can count fibre as zero if it's not listed in the nutritional info.
    Good luck to all.
    P.S. Thanks Birdie085 for the note on Meanies - LOVE them!!

Hope you're ok bubbaloo. Put it down to experience and focus on next week...it'll be worth it and you'll loose the 2.5 pounds again....especially if it's your totm! It's most likely water retention then anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

Hi All,

Quick question about goal weights I don't have one at the moment, as in I don't have an official one I have a number in my head, that i'm getting closer to but i haven't spoken to my leader about it yet (my class is always so busy). Before I talk to her i just want to get an idea of how everyone else decided on their goal weights, I want to make sure its realistic, but I don't want to be too lenient on myself either. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

my leader decided for me 9 st 5lb. I told her i was'nt happy with that and last week she asked what would i be happy at,,i said 9st11 so she changed my goal,,only 10lb more to go,,oh yeah,,i'd be miserable at 9 st 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Hey I can totally understand your frustration at not losing quicker, or more substantially each week. To be honest I was a little worried myself when the new propoints plan came in to see if it would work the same way as the old points plan had worked well for me so far (have lost 6 stone on it over the last 3years). But personally, I have found it worked quite well, and I've lost 7lbs since Christmas.

Would you mind posting a couple of days from your tracker? Have you been drinking much over the last few weeks or anything? What exercise have you been doing?

You seem fairly on the ball as to what can affect things so I can't imagine you missing any of those things above but you never know!

Stick with the plan for now anywhoo, if nothing else, it's a way to keep track of the healthy food you're taking in :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Just remember slow and steady wins the race.

Perhaps post up what you are eating in a day to give people more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

my leader didnt give me a goal weight either. I think i will ask her tonight. I have my own goal though and a few mini goals to keep me motivated.
    My son's christening is on the 26th feb and I want to be down 1 stone by then. Am 4lbs into it already and have WI tonight so fingers crossed.
    then my boyfriends birthday is in April so have a goal of another stone and a half by then and then another half a stone for my step daughters communion in may. I will keep going after that cos i have about 4 stone to lose so just set my own goals to keep me going with it. Im glad i actually have the christening and the communion coming up so i will keep at it.
    well done to all you ladies with your losses and we all have bad weeks but the key is to just keep going with it and not give up. Thats where i went wrong before and dont want it to happen to me again. its great to have this forum to come to for support so thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement

Well I had a lovely reply all written out and then Boards logged me out and it disappeared! Grrrrr:mad:

Thanks for the replies :D

Yes, CeeJay, I absolutely agree slow and steady wins the race but this is a crawlllllllll! I haven't given up by any stretch I am still going but am mystified!

I don't have my trackers on me atm but I will detail out a typical day. I am very steadfast when it comes to WW I pretty much have variations on the same theme (it worked so well in the past! :rolleyes:)

Breakfast:
    30g Porridge (2 scoops skimmed milk & 2 scoops water) (4 pts)

SNACK: 1 pce fruit

LUNCH:
    4 x Ryvita (4pts)
    2 x Laughing Cow extra light (1pt)
    1 small tin tuna (1 pt)
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Lettuce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Black Pepper

OR

4 x Ryvita (4pts)
    2 x Laughing Cow extra light (1pt)
    WW chicken noodle soup (1pt)

SNACK: Fruit

DINNER
    chicken and veg stirfry with brown rice

Chicken breast (6pts)
    Portion brown rice (6pts)
    Various 0 point vegetables
    1/2 Blue Dragon sauce (1 pt)
    1 x teaspoon olive oil (1pt)

SNACK: WW yogurt (1pt)

I generally make bean stews, quorn bolognaise, veggiestirfries etc... I don't eat the ready meals.

EXERCISE: I walk 25min each way to work everyday. It is a brisk enough walk. Both weekends I walked for about an hour both days and was sweating and out of breath

NOTE: I don't ever supplement my daily points allowance with my activity points.

WATER: I drink 2-3 litres of water per day

I went out for drinks on Friday night but accounted for all that alcohol within my daily allowance (drinking was my eating that night!) and I had one thai takeaway and I used all my 49 'treat' points.

Absolutely mystified.....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Hi guys..Some of the results here are amazing..Well done everyone!!Just wondering to those who are loosing 2/3 lbs are you doing much exercise combined with the diet? Finding it so hard to get my head into it at the moment and am studying for exams and tend to comfort eat in response to stress so study is not helping at all! Anyone any advice on how to deal with this..I am a serial comfort eater!

Also just wanted to ask does any here pay any attention to carbohydrate intake etc or do they solely focus on their daily points intake and not worry what it is made up from. Any diets that have worked for me inthe past have always been low or no carbohydratre and Im just curious to know as it seems to be always at the back of my mind.

Finally from experience can anyone tell me if it is common for your weight to go up and down alot over the course of the programme depending on your body?

So have to make this work..In the same boat as alot of others here.. Am 30 this year and really dont want to be 30 and Fat!!! Also have a family wedding in the summer which is seriously increasing the pressure!!!

Any advice appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 row_40

Don't be so hard on yourself 2lbs is great! You have to remember the key to the new plan without going into the science is that you just lost 2 lbs of pure "fat"!!!!
    For the craic take a look at an imagine on the google of a lb of FAT! so instead of losing 5 lbs of muscle and water you cut right to the problem, fat! Muscle is much more dense than fat so 4lbs of fat compare to 4lbs of muscle is... well huge so in 1 months when you continue to lose 2 lbs of fat per week you'll look like you lost a lot more because fat basically takes up more space and that is for the long and short of it the principle behind the new propoints. You are not losing muscle but fat, the leaders really need to explain this to people better it is soooooooo important! Keep going oeufmerf better out than in! let me know how you get on.... :0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

coco13 wrote: »
    Hi guys..Some of the results here are amazing..Well done everyone!!Just wondering to those who are loosing 2/3 lbs are you doing much exercise combined with the diet? Finding it so hard to get my head into it at the moment and am studying for exams and tend to comfort eat in response to stress so study is not helping at all! Anyone any advice on how to deal with this..I am a serial comfort eater!

Also just wanted to ask does any here pay any attention to carbohydrate intake etc or do they solely focus on their daily points intake and not worry what it is made up from. Any diets that have worked for me inthe past have always been low or no carbohydratre and Im just curious to know as it seems to be always at the back of my mind.

Finally from experience can anyone tell me if it is common for your weight to go up and down alot over the course of the programme depending on your body?

So have to make this work..In the same boat as alot of others here.. Am 30 this year and really dont want to be 30 and Fat!!! Also have a family wedding in the summer which is seriously increasing the pressure!!!

Any advice appreciated!!

The new pro point system takes into account carbs. So if there is a product high in carbs such as bread then the points for those items will be higher. I go by points but it the points look at carbs, protein, fat and fibre. You can still follow the points and have a low carb diet.

Generally I find that when I exercise more in a week, the following week after that I tend to lose 2/3 lbs. It can take a while for my body to catch up.

I was the same as you regarding exams but for the first time ever I managed to control my exam binge eating and lose weight. I used to binge on chocolate during exams. This time I used WW treats and jaffa cakes. Jaffa cakes are only a point a biscuit but you need self control to stop yourself eating the whole box!

My advice to you is to stick with it. Even if you go up a 1lb don't give up. My leader told me to mark off every 4 weeks and look at my total loss over those 4 weeks rather than looking at each individual week.

Hope that helps a bit

Eabha x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

coco13 wrote: »

Any advice appreciated!!

Hi coco, I started using propoints 2 weeks ago and so far have lost 7.5 lb. I have a lot of weight to lose so I believe that is the reason for my good losses. I have been unable to exercise due to having a flareup of RA but I am confident that I will be able to introuduce it back into my life in the next few weeks. However I am fairly active throughout the day.
    I am mainly gearing myself towards healthy eating and trying to get a good balance of all food types, I have noticed in the past certain carbs slowed down my weight loss ie white bread, biscuits. I am trying to make my food choices as good as possible, I prepare most of my own meals. I find that I need to be more prepared on this plan as points for high carb low fiber and protein foods tend to be high, for example 4 cream crackers spread with a little jamare 5 propoints but I could have a breast of chicken 4pp salad 0pp and dressing 1pp for the same! When you put it like that the crackers would never make sense if you were hungry. I try to keep myself as prepared as possible to have quick fillers availabe if I come home hungry. Another of my quick fixes would be 56g tin tuna in brine pp1 lowfat mayo pp1 salad pp0 and granary bap pp4/pp5. I noticed the last couple of days I was a little bit hungry, my usual solution would be to come to the conclusion that propoints wasnt working and ditch the plan, this time I looked back over my food intake and noticed I wasnt drinking as much fluid as usual and I had been only having 1 small apple the last couple of days, I upped the water in take and ate an extra small apple and 2 satsumas and hey presto no hunger!
    I feel that this plan is not a diet but a way of guiding me to make healthy filling food choices while still been able to stick to the 80/20 rule of healthy eating and if I lost even .5 of a pound every week I would be delighted!
    Best of luck with propoints and for your exams:)

Thanks row 40 :D I am trying to not obsess about it!

It's not the two pound loss that I am annoyed about its the half pound loss for the whole of last week that has me stumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

I stayed the same this week. I'm on maintenance so that is fine for me but I stayed within my daily & weekly points and only used half my activity points so should have really lost something. I'm really happy with the plan as I feel I can eat what I want within reason and am never hungry.

Hoping it isn't too slow for some because in the long run it's probably the best plan out there - so everyone stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Are you pro pointing your portions right - you have no grams down beside the food?

The 2 scoops of Milk - is that half a pint, quarter of pint of skimmed?

Another way to look at the 2 stone you have to loose is how long did that weight take to go on - was it in a couple of weeks....
    It wont take just a couple of weeks to get back off

Stick with it - the weight loss in my class has been brillinat 8 stone last night alone and 14 stone last week

What class are you attending ? Maybe try a different one - I find the leader is an important part of it too

x

@jakeypooh

Thanks jakeypooh :D

I haven't included the weights because I don't have my tracker with me but they would be what I have taken from the WW literature which includes the weights e.g the brown rice.

WRT the skimmed milk - this would be under a 1/4 of a pint so the points are correct if not overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hey all,

I had my first WI last week and lost nothing.
    Was so disappointed as I stuck to the new plan rigidly the previous week.

The thing is, I quit smoking almost 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if that's affecting me?
    Can anyone shed any light?

2nd WI tonight and not really looking forward to it.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

dammitj wrote: »
    Hey all,

I had my first WI last week and lost nothing.
    Was so disappointed as I stuck to the new plan rigidly the previous week.

The thing is, I quit smoking almost 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if that's affecting me?
    Can anyone shed any light?

2nd WI tonight and not really looking forward to it.

:(

You'll be down tonight, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to kick in, that's usually the way it works for me. Just on the smoking thing - I stopped almost 3 years ago, started weight watchers within 3 weeks and never looked back. I'm a gold member now and find the new plan brill. Keep at it and well done so far. Stopping the smoking is the BEST thing you've ever done and watching your weight will be the SECOND BEST. It works. Keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

OK thanks a million!
    I feel a little better now!

I lost over 2 stone last year so was disappointed not to lose anything my first week back, but fingers crossed on tonight!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi All,

Thanks!

I think it all depends on how much weight you need to lose in the first place. I would use the BMI as a guide. set yourself small goals at first. so the 5% and 10% goals and then to get to a healthy BMI

Set your goals small and attainable and then have your long term goal in mind, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I had my first weigh in this morning. Lost 3.5lbs :D Didn't get much exercise in this week, so i'm hoping next week to have a little more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheGrecian

Anyone have any idea how many pro points in a Shot of Whiskey like Jameson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Bernso

Hey,
    I've been sick and today i was handed a dime bar by a colleague and gobbled it. NEVER eat choc but ya know when yer fooked with flu..
    I looked it up and it is on loads of threads as 3.5 old points.
    Does any choc fan know the pro points of it? Really want to stick to it this week so would REALLY appreciate it.Thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Hi Oeufmerf,
    I am in the same situation as you. I too have about 2 stone to lose & have just rejoined WW after an absence of about a year. Since going back, I have been so meticulous about everything that has gone into my mouth & although I did really well the first week (lost 8lbs), I actually put on weight the second week (2lbs) even though I had been so good!

Although a bit disheartened yesterday, I have put it behind me & am as determined as ever to change my eating habits & know I will see a change in the scales next week.

I think I read somewhere that this program is designed to give a slow weight loss, so maybe it'll take us a bit longer to get to our goal. Good on you for rejoining & making the effort to lose some weight - sometimes that is half the battle. Good luck & let us know how it goes next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mrs wall

going into 3rd week now of propoints , find it much harder then old system and find weg loss slower too anyone find this:mad:

home shot 2 for 25mls pub measure 3

• Advertisement

find it much slower to , might sneak back to old points

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement